Bargnani on the shelf indefinitely? Miss season opener?

Kiyaman

Legend
Not sure what's going on here but it's fishy to say the least. Typical Knicks? Typical Bargnani?

With a preseason that?s starting to resemble a disappointment, Knicks coach Derek Fisher admitted there?s a definite chance Andrea Bargnani won?t be ready for the season opener against the Bulls in eight days.

Bargnani, suffering from a hamstring strain that originally was deemed unserious, has not played since the preseason opener and is not expected back for the final two preseason games: Wednesday vs. the Wizards at the Garden and Friday in Montreal vs. the Raptors.

Bargnani started at power forward in the opener with Fisher having visions of the Italian being a big cog in the triangle offense because of his outside-shooting prowess. Defensive forward Quincy Acy and his beard have started the last four preseason games at power forward.

Bargnani?s absence has been among the biggest disappointments of the Knicks? 2-3 preseason, though the defensive lapses shown in Monday?s 120-107 loss to the lowly Bucks was a bottom-scraping moment. The Bucks shot 59.7 percent from the field.

Bargnani hasn?t practiced fully since missing the Celtics contest at Mohegan Sun 11 days ago. Bargnani tried running at practice on Sunday but still felt tightness.

?We still have eight days before opening night,?? Fisher said. ?I can?t say at this point if that?s in jeopardy. Getting practice time in and being in a level of conditioning you need will be important for Andrea to get in. That said, when he?s healthy, he?s the type of player you need to have on the floor because he can do some good things. As the week goes by, we have to make a decision on him.??

Bargnani?s first season as a Knick ended in late January when he tore his elbow and his downward spiral just continues on. He has yet to address the media about his hamstring injury.

Fisher started Amar?e Stoudemire at center over Samuel Dalembert on Monday, but the defensive pivot was missed. Fisher wouldn?t say if he will go back to Dalembert. Fisher can start Stoudemire at power forward with Dalembert and bring Acy off the bench.

Meanwhile, J.R. Smith?s back spasms haven?t gone away and he had discomfort at Tuesday?s practice. It looks like Fisher may hold Smith out of Wednesday?s game. Smith appears slated for a sixth man role.

?J.R.?s back will let us know what he can do tomorrow,?? Fisher said.

Point guard Jose Calderon, who left the game with a calf strain after four minutes, said he could return Wednesday, though Fisher indicated it?s still up in the air.

?It?s nothing important,?? Calderon said. ?Just going to be day-by-day. Nothing to worry about. Hopefully tomorrow I feel better like I did today. If I?m good tomorrow, I?m good to go.??

Fisher had hoped to have a set rotation in place by Wednesday?s game that would resemble the one he would use in the opener, but he said the injuries have wrecked that chance.