home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Philadelphia 76ersNew York Knicks
No injuries to report for the teamObi Toppin - Calf (DOUBT)
-Immanuel Quickley - Hip pointer (DOUBT)
-Omari Spellman - Sore right knee (Day-2-day)
-Austin Rivers - Sore right groin (Day-2-day)

Game Preview

The New York Knicks spent two-plus quarters exceeding expectations Wednesday night before looking like a team in the beginning of yet another long rebuild.

The Philadelphia 76ers waited until the fourth quarter Wednesday to fully perform like a perennial contender with its rebuild in the rearview mirror.

Both the Knicks and 76ers will be looking to establish more consistency Saturday night when they face off in New York in the second game of the season for both teams.

Each squad was off Christmas Eve and Christmas Day after opening the season at home Wednesday night. The Knicks faded in the second half of a 121-107 loss to the Indiana Pacers and the 76ers stormed back from a double-digit, second-half deficit to edge the Washington Wizards, 113-107.

The Knicks, whose seven-season playoff drought is the longest among Eastern Conference teams and the third-longest in the NBA, offered some signs of progress Wednesday night.

Fueled by RJ Barrett, who drained his first eight shots, and Julius Randle, who flirted with a triple-double before finishing with 17 points, nine assists and nine rebounds, New York led the Pacers for much of the game's middle stretch before being outscored 47-30 over the final 18-plus minutes.

The decent start wasn't enough to satisfy first-year head coach Tom Thibodeau, who arrived in New York with the reputation as a defensively minded taskmaster. He directed the Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Timberwolves to six playoff berths in his previous seven full seasons as a head coach.

"Our schedule tells us we have to be ready to be better everyday," Thibodeau said. "We played about 24 minutes of good basketball. To win on the road, you have to do a lot better than that."

The 76ers are no stranger to long processes -- they've made the playoffs in each of the last three seasons following a well-documented five-year bottoming out -- and are now at the point where they can get away with 24 or fewer good minutes.

Philadelphia led by 13 with five minutes left in the first half before the Wizards went on a 22-8 run to take a 59-58 lead at halftime. The 76ers were down by as many as 12 points in the third quarter and trailed 83-73 entering the fourth quarter before they outscored the Wizards 40-24 over the final 12 minutes.

"You know what I loved about the game is we didn't play well," 76ers head coach Doc Rivers said after winning his debut with Philadelphia.

"We had stretches that we played well. You can see in that little third quarter -- body language is struggling, (they) caught themselves and they just find a way to win. The execution down the stretch of the fourth quarter for a team that hasn't been together was unbelievable on both ends. So we love that part."

The 76ers didn't play on Christmas for the first time since 2016. The Knicks, who have played on Christmas Day an NBA-record 53 times, were off on the holiday for the second straight season.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .. Philly PG-Simmons may blow us out early tonight, after Pacers PG-Brogdon embarrassed us the other night.

mafra

Legend
27-27 end of of 1st Q.

Thibbs 2-2 having them read to play at tip-off.

PHI has a 13-game win streak against NYK.

Kiyaman

Legend
Barrett played the entire first quarter shooting 0-6 for 1 pt. and coach Doc 76ers didn't play much defense in the quarter. Tied at 27.

mafra

Legend
FWIW, #9 RJ Barrett began first game shooting 9-9 and went 0-9 tonight before he sank his first shot.

Kiyaman

Legend
Half-Time Knicks 55 - Philly 60
Barrett played 19 min in first half shooting 1-12 for 4 pts.
Why is Thibs letting Barrett take the final shot of each quarter?
I hope it isn't because Barrett had his best NBA game under Thibs when he shot 9-9 in the first half, and became lost in the 2nd half blow-out.

Kiyaman

Legend
Lets hope Doc Rivers don't use one of the 2nd half defensive plans using (Simmon/Green/Scott) a defensive plan Doc got from Thibs, when Thibs was his assistant in Boston.

Our game-plan in the first half were one on one ball !!!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
It's depressing having to watch such a poor shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiyaman

Legend
End of 3rd qtr. Knicks 69 - 76ers 86 ... a 26 to 14 qtr.
The 76ers had the chance to make it a 20 pt lead in the final min of the qtr. but missed all 4 of their 3 ball shots.
Barrett is now 1-15 in shooting having 4 pts.

Broadway

All Star
Unprofessional Performance in every way. Yes Randle and Burks tried but we looked worst today maybe than all of last yr

Thibs can?t allow this to continue...

Sit Payton, he?s awful. Start IQ when he gets healthy and play DSJ and Knits off the bench until the trade deadline. If they don?t improve trade them

I wish we had Mudiay, that?s how bad we were tonight at guard aside from Burks

tiger0330

Legend
It's depressing having to watch such a poor shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Breen was saying the shooting woes continues from last year but they haven’t shot the ball well for the last six years. I haven’t looked it up but my bet is the Knicks have had a bottom 25 or worse offense over the last six years.

Thibs is going to bench Payton as soon as Quick comes back is the only redeeming thing that comes out of getting your butt kicked like the last 2 games.

tiger0330

Legend
Unprofessional Performance in every way. Yes Randle and Burks tried but we looked worst today maybe than all of last yr

Thibs can’t allow this to continue...

Sit Payton, he’s awful. Start IQ when he gets healthy and play DSJ and Knits off the bench until the trade deadline. If they don’t improve trade them

I wish we had Mudiay, that’s how bad we were tonight at guard aside from Burks
Mudiay is still unsigned they can get him if they want.

mafra

Legend
At least RJ was hitting his FTs...

I Think with IQ and Rivers we will be OK, but unfortunately they are huge losses right now. Them, along with Burks, is really our only threats from the back court.

If we walk away from this year with RJ and IQ and Mitch a starting C... we?ve done well.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, well my no-identity and no game plan Knicks loss to Philly 109 - 89 .... We telegraph all out shots and passes to have 16 turnover, Randle & RJ combine for 8 turnovers.
Yes we are 0-2, and the 72 game season are gonna be a real long season for Knicks fans. My Knicks showed no competitive b.ball in tonight game. And it leaves us with the question are the Knicks capable of winning 10 games this season? I doubt it.

I'm happy Frank did not participate in either of the 0-2 Knicks game.
Frank is quietly waiting patiently to be traded from our BUST Knicks team.
Barrett's BUM performance received 37 min of doing nothing to help the team tonight.
Maybe, I should start blaming Barrett & Randle's consistent LOSER performance on having 3 different Knicks head-coaches in one and half year as a Knick. So what! Barrett & Randle are doing the same none-effort Iso-play performance they gave us when they first joined the Knicks. They are like Iso-Melo, never having Clue on what to do on the defensive end of the court.