Jeff Hornacek Hired to be Knicks' New Head Coach

Kiyaman

Legend
Jeff Hornacek didn't merely negotiate his new contract on Thursday at the Knicks' practice facility, he also got down to the business of meeting his new coworkers, according to Ian Begley:

Jeff Hornacek spent Thursday afternoon at the New York Knicks' facility in Westchester with team president Phil Jackson, meeting with staffers and players, according to sources. At some point on Thursday, Jackson and general manager Steve Mills offered Hornacek the head coaching job and the two sides began negotiations.

Players, eh? Well that's interesting, since we know that star forward Carmelo Anthony worked out at the Knicks' training facility on Thursday. Is this tacit approval of the new coach on Melo's part? Clearly it can't be a coincidence: What are the odds Melo was just working out on a weekday afternoon? Slim to none, as far as I'm concerned.

Will Hornacek be able to add some new coaches to the coaching-staff .. to run two style of system, his and Phil?
Will Hornacek force Phil to sign FA Jeremy Lin as the starter PG ???

tiger0330

Legend
Jeff Hornacek didn't merely negotiate his new contract on Thursday at the Knicks' practice facility, he also got down to the business of meeting his new coworkers, according to Ian Begley:

Jeff Hornacek spent Thursday afternoon at the New York Knicks' facility in Westchester with team president Phil Jackson, meeting with staffers and players, according to sources. At some point on Thursday, Jackson and general manager Steve Mills offered Hornacek the head coaching job and the two sides began negotiations.

Players, eh? Well that's interesting, since we know that star forward Carmelo Anthony worked out at the Knicks' training facility on Thursday. Is this tacit approval of the new coach on Melo's part? Clearly it can't be a coincidence: What are the odds Melo was just working out on a weekday afternoon? Slim to none, as far as I'm concerned.

Will Hornacek be able to add some new coaches to the coaching-staff .. to run two style of system, his and Phil?
Will Hornacek force Phil to sign FA Jeremy Lin as the starter PG ???
I've been reading on bringing Lin back if Hornacek becomes HC. I like Lin but I think after 5 years in the league now he's proven that he's not a starting NBA PG, he'd be a good backup and the Knicks could sign him for depth but DeRozan, Conley or Rondo should be the first priority this off-season.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks ready to unveil Jeff Hornacek on Friday: Derek Fisher lasted just 1? years as Phil Jackson?s coach after getting a five-year contract (four years guaranteed). Jeff Hornacek will hope to last longer, as his contract will call for three years ? at $5 million per year ? according to a source and a report. According to the source, the New York Knicks are plotting a gala press conference for Friday with Hornacek?s family ? his wife, Stacy; and his three children, Notre Dame grad Ryan, and USC grads Tyler and Abby, a part-time sportscaster ? in attendance. An official announcement on the hire has yet to be made, but is expected Thursday. -- New York Post

Knicks and coach Jeff Hornacek agree to three-year, $15 million contract: Jeff Hornacek and the Knicks have finally reached an agreement on a three-year contract worth approximately $15 million, according to a league source. The club is expected to hold a news conference on Friday to introduce their fourth head coach in three years. -- New York Daily News

jimkcchief88

All Star
I'm ok with the hire. Being a Midwest, old Big Eight guy I remember JH going back to his college days. Nothing wrong with a good Midwestern guy who won't get caught with an ex teammates wife:) and JH is now the best shooter on the team so hopefully he can teach these guys how to knock down the open jumpers. And seems PJAx has finally relented on the whole triangle thing, which is good news as well. Can't recruit this summer with a system nobody wants to play

Kiyaman

Legend
Im hoping Hornacek Demand to get rid of all these clowns on our coaching staff starting with Rambis n Cleamons

tiger0330

Legend
Im hoping Hornacek Demand to get rid of all these clowns on our coaching staff starting with Rambis n Cleamons
Two questions that will be asked at that press conference tomorrow. Will the Knicks still play the triangle and what happens to Rambis, Clemens and Hazzard and the rest of the assistants?

I don't think Rambis is going to be on the bench next season, too much disappointment with not getting the HC job, he was a real unpopular choice and I'm sure that his ego is bruised because of it.

The other assistants like Clemens and Hazzard may still be here if JH decides that he can implement elements of the triangle with his fast paced offense, I'm sure JH dazzled PJ in that 5 hr meeting they had and I'm sure part of the discussion was making the triangle work in todays NBA.

tiger0330

Legend
The Trautwig interview is pretty good about his meeting with Phil, how he's going to use KP, the triangle, his coaching staff and his input into possible players he may want to pick up.

Press Conference

Al Trautwig interview.

Q&A by NY media after press conference.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Pau Gasol in the making(rolling eyes)

How come i feel that Phil had nothing to do with recommending Hornacek for the Knicks job, plus i believe Phil hasnt spoke to Hornacek before the media blast the story of Knicks looking to hire Hornacek.
This coaching act reminds me of when Dolan hired coach Larry Brown, one of GM Isiah Thomas most hated coaches.
The meeting probably started off "I know i wasnt your choice to be the Knicks coach.".

If Porzingis come off the bench then I know Hornacek want to have a winning season ...
If Porzingis is a starter then Hornacek is another Dolan PUPPET!

tiger0330

Legend
How come i feel that Phil had nothing to do with recommending Hornacek for the Knicks job, plus i believe Phil hasnt spoke to Hornacek before the media blast the story of Knicks looking to hire Hornacek.
This coaching act reminds me of when Dolan hired coach Larry Brown, one of GM Isiah Thomas most hated coaches.
The meeting probably started off "I know i wasnt your choice to be the Knicks coach.".

If Porzingis come off the bench then I know Hornacek want to have a winning season ...
If Porzingis is a starter then Hornacek is another Dolan PUPPET!
Better start calling him Howdy Doody then because KP is not coming off the bench. lol

Broadway

All Star
Listened and watch through all the videos. Tig you have a msg

JH did a pretty decent job handling those questions. I do not buy one bit of Mills and Phil time lining their interest in Hornacek. And it's pretty apparent they are feeding crap here because of what JH went through prior to being hired by us, courted by other teams. There was a divide in Phil's quest to make Rambis the coach and thus he was encouraged to look outside the circle as time went on.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rambis ends up on Luke's staff in L.A.

tiger0330

Legend
Hornacek interview on ESPN radio. Hornacek's hire was a definite chemistry hire by Phil, sort of like meeting a girl where it's love at first sight. JH talked to Phil for 6 hours on a plane from LA to NY on top of the interviews in LA and in NY for a total of 15 hours talking about the game. Said his only conversation with Phil in the past was saying congrats on winning the championship. lol

Also Dolan seems to have no input on this coaching hire because Hornacek has not met or spoken to Dolan yet. Seems he's been pretty true to leave the mgt of the Knicks to PJ and Mills.

Says he wants to wrap up the staff by this week, he doesn't oppose Rambis being back but he seemed like it was only a 50/50 possibility probably because it'll be up to Rambis whether he wants to stay.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=15933255

Just read that Rambis is in negotiations to stay on the Knicks bench as an assistant coach. Reportedly, Hornacek could have said 'no' to Rambis as an assistant, but was okay with Rambis staying around. Not a fan of Rambis on the bench if he has anything to do with Porzingis. So long as someone else is guiding the use of Porzingis, I have no problem with Rambis sticking around.

tiger0330

Legend
Just read that Rambis is in negotiations to stay on the Knicks bench as an assistant coach. Reportedly, Hornacek could have said 'no' to Rambis as an assistant, but was okay with Rambis staying around. Not a fan of Rambis on the bench if he has anything to do with Porzingis. So long as someone else is guiding the use of Porzingis, I have no problem with Rambis sticking around.

Sean Rooks died of a heart attack after interviewing for a Knicks assistant's job on Hornacek's staff. He was a former NBA center and was the player development coach for the Sixers, probably would have been the big man's coach on Hornacek's staff. Supposedly his interview was yesterday and he had just returned to PHI on the Amtrak and had his heart attack while dining in a restaurant. RIP.

Also Jeremy Lin turned down his player option so he's now a FA, should hear soon whether DWill and AA pick up their options.

New New York

Quiet Storm
It's been 3 years since I've posted, gotta say I love the changes Rady! 3
Years since I've posted and 3
Years out of the playoffs, my hope is with the ending of one streak, comes the ending of the other!

Anyways,

The hire has started to grow on me!

Maybe it's his basketball philosophy thats made me into a believer
or maybe it's the fact that the fact of the matter is he's our coach for better or worst so we have to run with it!

Regardless...he's going to need some more talent!

Kiyaman

Legend
The NFL starts today .. Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos
The NBA training-camp starts in a couple weeks
The Knicks 2016-17 season will be focus on new head coach Jeff Hornacek

Hornacek Wants to Run

Hornacek’s style of coaching is self-described as up-tempo as he likens his attributes to Fitzsimmons and Jerry Sloan (who he played for as a member of the Jazz). His Suns team was a running one, scoring mostly points in transition and three-point shots. He has openly stated that the triangle, however, would not be discarded but instead be a part of his coaching strategy and philosophy.
The New York Knicks roster includes the aforementioned Porzingis, Lee, Rose, Jennings, and Noah to go along with Marshall Plumlee, Kyle O’Quinn, Sasha Vujacic, Justin Holiday, Maurice Ndour, Lance Thomas, Cleanthony Early, and Guillermo Hernangomez. Not exactly a world beating team.

Jeff Hornacek is now in charge.
Hornacek was curiously fired by the Phoenix Suns after two and a half improving seasons. Hornacek has shown an ability to improve a team’s offensive efficiency, which would be a blessing of the highest order to the Knicks, whose offense looked constipated at times last season and anemic at other times.