Should we trade the pick?

• No, we deserve a top pick after this terrible season

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Yes, we can get back more value especially if we fall lower in draft

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

mafra

Legend
I am against moving the pick for Faried or Lawson. The nugget's players mutined against shaw this season for trying to get them to play more half court/triangle type sets. We've also seen with Larkin (who I think is a better player than he's looked here) what a fast/short PG who wants to drive and dish looks like when they are forced to play more half court (answer: Mostly Sh*tty). Also while Faried rebounds at a great rate..... he doesn't do much else.

I also agree with Melo they should aim for a veteran PG (no to mudiay) because it takes PG's time to get in their prime. So with that said I rather the knicks wait to see if Brandon Jennings gets healthy and then trade Calderon and Timmy for him straight up instead.

Pros for the Knicks:
He was shooting the 3 at a ridiculous rate before his injury. The knicks wouldn't be getting a great defender back, but at least they would have somebody they knows how to move well off the ball, can shoot well, and being left handed could operate on the other side of the court from melo if he did a PnR (something a right handed PG would have to learn to do naturally). Also we all know the knicks should of drafted him because every time he plays here he goes out of his way to score a sh*t ton of points against us. So we also know MSG won't frighten him either. The last best point is he'll be an expiring next year meaning he wants to play great to earn a bigger contract and if he doesn't then he is off the cap next season anyway.

Cons for Knicks:
Honestly the best chance for the deal to happen is before Brandon is fully healed because once its confirmed he is healthy he'll be worth more than just Calderon and Timmy. The risk is what happens if he doesn't heal. Well then the knicks are stuck with Galloway and (depending on FA) Shved at PG. So basically what the knicks have now.

Pros for Detroit:
It clears up who the starter is with Reggie Jackson there, It'll give them two players who can shoot the 3 (SVG's system demands players be able to do that) and alongside Timmy's youth at SG, it'll give them a backup PG who can mentor Reggie a little longer as he adjusts to being a starter.

Cons for Detroit:
Both Timmy and Calderon could likely end up stuck on the bench and none of them are good defenders (not that Jennings is either). They also have SG with KCP and Meeks there but Timmy might make it easier to move one of those contracts as well for another asset. Also while its a lot of money to have tied into the PG position, they'll get a cheap young player in the deal as well.

The best excuse to explain why we should draft Mudiay is right here... If our best option for PG is Jennings or Calderon? Yikes. I think Brandon Knight, who was traded from MIL to PHO, probably the better amswer... But... Again, this is why Mudiay would he the obvious picks for every team but NYK...

with melo and phil in the win now mold... With the lack of respect this system shows for its PG... NYK will draft either Winslow, Pirzingis, or WCS. I hear DEN loves Pirzingis... I would defintely trade back with them... Get a first next year... Still get wcs or winslow, or that wing from Az.

not sure about Lawson or Faired... Have to base what i felt free agent could bring... Lawson has a little fisher in him... He competes.... And faired has a little rodman in him... Melo-faired-Monroe as a front court?

lebron is going to nba finals with mozgov, jr, shump... He couldve done that in NY...

Wargames

Starter
The best excuse to explain why we should draft Mudiay is right here... If our best option for PG is Jennings or Calderon? Yikes. I think Brandon Knight, who was traded from MIL to PHO, probably the better amswer... But... Again, this is why Mudiay would he the obvious picks for every team but NYK...

with melo and phil in the win now mold... With the lack of respect this system shows for its PG... NYK will draft either Winslow, Pirzingis, or WCS. I hear DEN loves Pirzingis... I would defintely trade back with them... Get a first next year... Still get wcs or winslow, or that wing from Az.

not sure about Lawson or Faired... Have to base what i felt free agent could bring... Lawson has a little fisher in him... He competes.... And faired has a little rodman in him... Melo-faired-Monroe as a front court?

lebron is going to nba finals with mozgov, jr, shump... He couldve done that in NY...

I like brandon knight too (even in the triangle) but he is a RFA and the suns will probably look to match unless the knicks offer him somewhere around 14 starting. Jennings is cheaper, short term, and because its a contract year and he is coming off a injury looking to play well to get a good contract. I've talked about why I am not certain about Mudiay as the knicks future PG in other threads, but even more than that I am not sure I want next year on the shoulders of a Rookie PG. The knicks have to show they are a playoff team at least because the competition to attract good FA will be even tougher in 2016 and I doubt FA will go to a team 2 years in the lottery (that doesn't even own its own pick).

If the nuggets offered their first for next year though I would definitely be open to the discussion, especially if it included the right to swap with the raptors the knicks pick we traded them. It would basically be getting the knicks pick back, which could come in handy in case the knicks suck next year too. On the flip I would assume a move to 7 is for WCS who is nice.

As for Lebron idk..... somehow..... someway..... the East is worse this year than its normally been (which is really bad) due to injuries. I am not saying that as an excuse for Lebron I mean the cavs loss Kevin Love. However the East as a whole is hobbled this year.

Kiyaman

Legend
I read all the different types of trades for the Knicks 4th pick written by sports writers n sports analyst, and the only one i agree on is trading the 4th pick to Sacremento Kings for C-Cousins .. The East do need a star two-way center for the All-Star Games.

Truth be said .. I would trade our $124M player in a heart-beat for C-Cousins... all-day everyday!!!!

tiger0330

Legend
Truth be said .. I would trade our $124M player in a heart-beat for C-Cousins... all-day everyday!!!!
Boogie is worth at least one first, maybe two depending on the players he gets traded for. 4th and THJ isn't going to cut it.

That would be a great trade for the Knicks but I don't see a Melo/Karl reunion happening.

SnT with the Clips swapping Boogie and DJ, I wonder if that's possible.

mafra

Legend
Boogie is worth at least one first, maybe two depending on the players he gets traded for. 4th and THJ isn't going to cut it.

That would be a great trade for the Knicks but I don't see a Melo/Karl reunion happening.

If PHIL can shed Calderon's contract + get a vet, rotation player + a draft pick... I bet we trade the pick.

Paul1355

All Star
I am against moving the pick for Faried or Lawson. The nugget's players mutined against shaw this season for trying to get them to play more half court/triangle type sets. We've also seen with Larkin (who I think is a better player than he's looked here) what a fast/short PG who wants to drive and dish looks like when they are forced to play more half court (answer: Mostly Sh*tty). Also while Faried rebounds at a great rate..... he doesn't do much else.

I also agree with Melo they should aim for a veteran PG (no to mudiay) because it takes PG's time to get in their prime. So with that said I rather the knicks wait to see if Brandon Jennings gets healthy and then trade Calderon and Timmy for him straight up instead.

Pros for the Knicks:
He was shooting the 3 at a ridiculous rate before his injury. The knicks wouldn't be getting a great defender back, but at least they would have somebody they knows how to move well off the ball, can shoot well, and being left handed could operate on the other side of the court from melo if he did a PnR (something a right handed PG would have to learn to do naturally). Also we all know the knicks should of drafted him because every time he plays here he goes out of his way to score a sh*t ton of points against us. So we also know MSG won't frighten him either. The last best point is he'll be an expiring next year meaning he wants to play great to earn a bigger contract and if he doesn't then he is off the cap next season anyway.

Cons for Knicks:
Honestly the best chance for the deal to happen is before Brandon is fully healed because once its confirmed he is healthy he'll be worth more than just Calderon and Timmy. The risk is what happens if he doesn't heal. Well then the knicks are stuck with Galloway and (depending on FA) Shved at PG. So basically what the knicks have now.

Pros for Detroit:
It clears up who the starter is with Reggie Jackson there, It'll give them two players who can shoot the 3 (SVG's system demands players be able to do that) and alongside Timmy's youth at SG, it'll give them a backup PG who can mentor Reggie a little longer as he adjusts to being a starter.

Cons for Detroit:
Both Timmy and Calderon could likely end up stuck on the bench and none of them are good defenders (not that Jennings is either). They also have SG with KCP and Meeks there but Timmy might make it easier to move one of those contracts as well for another asset. Also while its a lot of money to have tied into the PG position, they'll get a cheap young player in the deal as well.
I see your points and I like the idea of having Jennings as our pg but I think with Denver having a poor season they are going to give away good talent. And I'm thinking about rounding out the roster more thanadding one player.

tiger0330

Legend
If PHIL can shed Calderon's contract + get a vet, rotation player + a draft pick... I bet we trade the pick.
Might be the best route for the Knicks to go. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, these kids are all 19 and Melo's window to win is more likely the next 2 years not his last two when these kids start to blossom. Only problem is the Knicks don't have a lot of assets to trade, Calderon's and THJ's stock is way down after last season.

Paul1355

All Star

If mudiay impresses in workouts then the kings might move cousins for the 4 pick and some young guys we have like hardaway and Galloway...but we might have to give this first and another in a different year

Paul1355

All Star
I agree....this is best case scenario...trade the pick to shed Calderon of that 7 mil...get a starter and a solid rotation player and a lower pick...we can get 3 players for 2 and round out the roster a little bit

Broadway

All Star
Kings aren't trading Cousins...Vlade Divac is their decision maker now and he recently said as of 2 weeks ago they aren't moving him. Which means 1 of 3 things....

1 - THEY AREN'T MOVING HIM

2 - THEY WANT THE MOTHERLOAD FOR HIM

3 - THUS THEY AREN'T MOVING HIM

Broadway

All Star
I agree....this is best case scenario...trade the pick to shed Calderon of that 7 mil...get a starter and a solid rotation player and a lower pick...we can get 3 players for 2 and round out the roster a little bit

Should have just traded the 2018(lottery protected) 1st along with Calderon at the deadline, would have been much simpler.

Paul1355

All Star
Should have just traded the 2018(lottery protected) 1st along with Calderon at the deadline, would have been much simpler.
I know what you're saying but we shouldnt have to sacrifice another 1st round pick unless it's for a really good player. Calderon is still serviceable and before getting his injuries was money from the 3 in the preseason and started strong. Once he got injured it became chronic and effected his game and confidence all season.

I say trading him with Hardaway is better than sacrificing a 1st round pick.

Broadway

All Star
I know what you're saying but we shouldnt have to sacrifice another 1st round pick unless it's for a really good player. Calderon is still serviceable and before getting his injuries was money from the 3 in the preseason and started strong. Once he got injured it became chronic and effected his game and confidence all season.

I say trading him with Hardaway is better than sacrificing a 1st round pick.

Possibly but teams want value not washed up players on bad contracts and maybe a 8-9th rotation player. If cap space matters that much which comes much sooner than a future(protected pick), then such a trade should've been made. I'd be looking for maybe someone like an Al Farouq type player and maybe a future 2nd round pick.

Just in the last day, internet rumors are surfacing that we like Kentucky big man Trey Lyles. We could not possibly be planning to burn a number 4 pick on the third highest rated big man from Kentucky entering the draft. So, if you believe that we are genuinely interested in Trey Lyles, this could be the surest sign yet that we are likely to either trade down or possibly we are trying to acquire an additional pick in the mid to late 1st round.

Paul1355

All Star
Just in the last day, internet rumors are surfacing that we like Kentucky big man Trey Lyles. We could not possibly be planning to burn a number 4 pick on the third highest rated big man from Kentucky entering the draft. So, if you believe that we are genuinely interested in Trey Lyles, this could be the surest sign yet that we are likely to either trade down or possibly we are trying to acquire an additional pick in the mid to late 1st round.
That would be awesome if we can keep our pick and acquire a new one but since Jackson had said free agency is his priority it seems like he would trade the pick in order to trade Calderons contract with it...thus giving us more flexibility in free agency

Broadway

All Star

Yeah read the article from Isola.....maybe this could be to get teams to call us up with offers. Sounds like IMO we didn't do enough homework during the season to scout other players.

Really why were we scouting so many Kentucky amateur practices... if we walked away admiring Lyles only for Mills to drop his head when he found out we were picking 4th. Mills said a really good player will be there at 4 and this most certainly was a 5 player top talent deep draft. Let's do a quick thinking exercise here....

- Does Mills think Lyles is going to be selected #1 or #2?

- We don't want Towns if he's there at #4?

- Lyles was the only player we liked during all those practices?

- How many Kentucky players did we like and where would they fall in the draft?

- Are we trying to avoid picking Russell or Mudiay at #4 at all costs(Thanks Fat Mouth Melo if so)?

Something doesn't add up here. As far as trading down trying to see some realistic scenarios at this point....

Trade #4 and Calderon to Boston for #16, #28, #45

Trade #4 and Calderon to Sota for Rubio, #31, #36

Trade #4 to Pacers for #11, #43, 2016 future 2nd

Trade #4 and Calderon to Lakers for Pick #27, #34, Future 1st

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Damn! reading all the post in the thread Phil Jackson doesnt have any assets on the roster to trade on draft night ..
I dont think Tim Hardaway 2 yrs exp., or Early rookie season could get us 2 late first rounders.
And Calderon 2 yr. $15M contract is worst than having both Felton n JR.

I see sveral teams making player trades on draft night .. the only asset we have to offer in a player trade is the 4th pick

Paul1355

All Star
Damn! reading all the post in the thread Phil Jackson doesnt have any assets on the roster to trade on draft night ..
I dont think Tim Hardaway 2 yrs exp., or Early rookie season could get us 2 late first rounders.
And Calderon 2 yr. $15M contract is worst than having both Felton n JR.

I see sveral teams making player trades on draft night .. the only asset we have to offer in a player trade is the 4th pick
Which is why trading the 4th pick with Calderon is very possible. If we can trade down and get rid of Calderon contract...freeing up an additional 7 million...im.all for it