Trading Amare Stoudemire

no body...is taking amar'e n his 20m non-insurable contract.. he is here to stay, so woodson or the next coach better figure out how to best use him/melo/chandler... ladies and gentlemen... your ny knicks for the next 3 years...

I havent posted in a while because quite frankly, this forum has been absolute garbage to say the least, from a purists perspective of course, many will understand lol, no offense.

Moving on,

We have to remember two things A) amare is only a 2 year risk, being that any team will have the option to Amnesty amare in his last year

or the subsequent B) Use his remaining 23 million plus salary which will be coming off the books as an amazing trade chip

in essence

his salary isnt as bad as we prospect it to be, being that he is really only a risk on the books for two more seasons, next year and the year after

which isnt really that horrible, with the new amnesty by 2014 he is as expendable as chauncy billups was this offseason.

HOLLA.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Interesting. Trade STAT and Lin as a package deal you say?

I can see the Nets giving us Deron Williams in a sign and trade with for STAT and Lin. Maybe we can snatch up a guy like Green or Stevenson as well. FWIW, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Interesting. Trade STAT and Lin as a package deal you say?

I can see the Nets giving us Deron Williams in a sign and trade with for STAT and Lin. Maybe we can snatch up a guy like Green or Stevenson as well. FWIW, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.
Prokhorov would do it in a heart beat with D Wiliam for Stat/Lin.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Prokhorov would do it in a heart beat with D Wiliam for Stat/Lin.

Yeah, he'll buy into the Lin hype for sure. Getting Dwill would rid us of STAT's horrible contract giving us better cap flexibility. Assuming Dwill commands a salary of 13-15mil/yr, we'd have about 5 mil to spend for a decent post up pf.

A core of Melo-Dwill-Chandler would be much better than our current one for sure.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
If you can trade STAT and Lin somehow for CP3 you do it. Not so sure that's gonna be possible though.

Clips should have space to re-sign him.

However if CP3 really wants to be here he could potentially pull a Melo.

I like Lin though. He showed leadership I haven't seen from a young player in a long time. As much of a type- A guy Melo is, I saw him diferring to Lin many times when they were on the court together.

People shouldn't underestimate Lin. He's a touch player with an elite skill set. I think he just needs to continue to mature and understand the NBA game. Ono I think Lin just needs time to settle in.

I'd like to see us show some patience as well. Continuing to make trades year in and out will be a disruption to chemistry, which I think has been sorely lacking with this team for a few years now.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Don't get me wrong, I like Lin as well and think that he will have a bright future in the NBA. At the same time, I'd like us to stop making trades and just develop the current roster that we have. But for us to get a proven superstar point guard in CP3 or Dwill in exchange for a package of STAT's bad contract and Lin is an opportunity to build a better team that the Knicks should not pass off on, IMO.

Kiyaman

Legend
When Melo wasn't a fit for D'Antoni's system, fans said that D shouldn't force him to fit his system but create a play for him. Why can't Woody create a system that will work best for what players we have? Feed and maximize on their strengths while minimizing the effects of their weaknesses. That's what he is being paid for. A good coach knows the strengths and weaknesses of his team and adjust accordingly. Isn't he flexible enough?

All in all thats what coach Woodson did in the regular season.....however, come playoff time there hasnt been any headcoach as of today, who can stop Carmelo Anthony demand for 40+ minutes per game of controlling the teams offense. That is why the Denver Nuggets traded for PG-Chauncey Billups...

Kiyaman

Legend
Don't get me wrong, I like Lin as well and think that he will have a bright future in the NBA. At the same time, I'd like us to stop making trades and just develop the current roster that we have. But for us to get a proven superstar point guard in CP3 or Dwill in exchange for a package of STAT's bad contract and Lin is an opportunity to build a better team that the Knicks should not pass off on, IMO.

Stat is not the Knicks problem.....Stat was doing great as our All-Star player untill the Melo-Trade.
Lin co-exist with Stat
TD co-exist with Stat
Lin, TD, and Stat doesnt co-exist with Melo

If dum dum Donnie Walsh wouldve trade David Lee for Ellis, GS first offer.....the Felton, Ellis, W.Chandler, Stat, and Gallo/Mozgov/Fields wouldve been a 2nd round postseason team under bum coach Dantoni.
:gony:

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
If Nash comes to New York would any of you still want Stat gone? (just wondering)

If Grunwald were to bring Nash to NY, i feel like it would be for STAT to get back and play like his old self... yes, nash has great attributes, but the guy is pushing on 40, and I would rather see a younger PG that may stay in NY for a while or would be a trade option in the future.

If the Linsanity rule comes into effect, and we'll have the $5 mil exception, there would be other great younger PGs out there ... Felton, goran dragic , J Nelson.

Red

TYPE-A
:agreed:I Hope, all this movement were hoping for, doesn't happen.I want this team to build some chemistry, before we try going in a different direction.People on this board, are so impatient, so quick to blow up teams, without giving it a fair chance.MDA got 4 years to torture KNICK fans, but STAT and MELO can't get 1 year, to see if they can figure it out?

No because we run the risk of further depreciation of any tradable assets.

This isn't about who works together and who doesn't because that's relative to the team we face. This is about building the best team to beat the Heat.

In order to highlight our bst scorer while being able to play defense (which is what it will take) we have to re-evaluate our approach. We did it with D'Antoni and now we need to do it with Woodson.

We need to eliminate the questions. Stat proved he was a question with his BACK injuries. That solidified his worth when coupled with his lack of defense which is apparent on film.

STAT is the very definiton of OVERRATED. And he's my man, but even I can see that without a distributor and with a PF who makes $20mil nd can't be relied upon to a) lock-down, or b) to be healthy (as he was injured during both playoff runs) we are doomed.

Now IF you want to take a risk that Lin will be Nash/Kidd/Parker light that's a stretch. His defense was suspect, his numbers inflated as we all agree MDA's approach does, and his meniscus torn partly due to "sefl-induced flopping", partly due to poor conditioning, and add the many off-court distractions he will have... is a big risk.

Hoping that STAT will be healthy one of these playoffs is another risk. Hoping he will learn to lock-down, is almost insane.

STAT is a D'Antoni player. A stretch four who plays minimal defense. Lin can tbe relied upon versus top comp. If we are to go traditional then we MUST find a way.

fender0577

Rotation player
No because we run the risk of further depreciation of any tradable assets.

This isn't about who works together and who doesn't because that's relative to the team we face. This is about building the best team to beat the Heat.

In order to highlight our bst scorer while being able to play defense (which is what it will take) we have to re-evaluate our approach. We did it with D'Antoni and now we need to do it with Woodson.

We need to eliminate the questions. Stat proved he was a question with his BACK injuries. That solidified his worth when coupled with his lack of defense which is apparent on film.

STAT is the very definiton of OVERRATED. And he's my man, but even I can see that without a distributor and with a PF who makes $20mil nd can't be relied upon to a) lock-down, or b) to be healthy (as he was injured during both playoff runs) we are doomed.

Now IF you want to take a risk that Lin will be Nash/Kidd/Parker light that's a stretch. His defense was suspect, his numbers inflated as we all agree MDA's approach does, and his meniscus torn partly due to "sefl-induced flopping", partly due to poor conditioning, and add the many off-court distractions he will have... is a big risk.

Hoping that STAT will be healthy one of these playoffs is another risk. Hoping he will learn to lock-down, is almost insane.

STAT is a D'Antoni player. A stretch four who plays minimal defense. Lin can tbe relied upon versus top comp. If we are to go traditional then we MUST find a way.
I understand what your saying, but STATS trade value is in the toilet anyway, i just don't want to give him away, only to see him return to form, and put up great numbers somewhere else.His trade value can only go up, so i say wait it out(at least until the trade deadline), to see if he can find his way.If he can, we're not gonna get anymore no for him, than if we waited until the trade deadline.

Red

TYPE-A
I understand what your saying, but STATS trade value is in the toilet anyway, i just don't want to give him away, only to see him return to form, and put up great numbers somewhere else.His trade value can only go up, so i say wait it out(at least until the trade deadline), to see if he can find his way.If he can, we're not gonna get anymore no for him, than if we waited until the trade deadline.

Yes but then we run the risk of

1. Having to gel on the fly as we have these past few years

2. STAT being injured yet again

Its that back thing. In my experience without surgery bulging discs flare up and debilitate, possibly become herniated. That back injury he had is a result o the initial ones more likely occuring prior to him being here.

IF he returns to form that WILL NOT include to be a defensive stalwart in any form, only as a face-up scorere. I wanted a BIG before a PG. We see what a big can/could do for us.

Now, we need a facilitator, especially because we have a scorer and defensive presence in the paint. When we look at the possible PF's who could help, we see much much more that are viable than PG's.

IF Lin returns he too won't be as a defensive guard. With shump out, we have no facilitator nor perimeter defender. Since D'Antoni had a shot at getting his players, its only fair to do so wih Woody. That means trading STAT. And Lin, Fields, TD are the only expendable parts to trade and this must be done prior to camp imo.

Wargames

Starter
Yes but then we run the risk of

1. Having to gel on the fly as we have these past few years

2. STAT being injured yet again

Its that back thing. In my experience without surgery bulging discs flare up and debilitate, possibly become herniated. That back injury he had is a result o the initial ones more likely occuring prior to him being here.

IF he returns to form that WILL NOT include to be a defensive stalwart in any form, only as a face-up scorere. I wanted a BIG before a PG. We see what a big can/could do for us.

Now, we need a facilitator, especially because we have a scorer and defensive presence in the paint. When we look at the possible PF's who could help, we see much much more that are viable than PG's.

IF Lin returns he too won't be as a defensive guard. With shump out, we have no facilitator nor perimeter defender. Since D'Antoni had a shot at getting his players, its only fair to do so wih Woody. That means trading STAT. And Lin, Fields, TD are the only expendable parts to trade and this must be done prior to camp imo.

I see the knicks fighting real hard to keep Lin (and I hope they do) he's been injured but man Lin can play and arguably this was his rookie season since he hardly played before this. Don't get me wrong he isn't an elite PG like Westbrook,Parker, Paul, or D.Will but I'll say he is better than a good deal of the PG starting on Playoff teams right now. His major flaw is turnovers but the majority of PG's improve on that with age and experience.

As for the rest of the knicks. They could Trade Amare but I don't see them doing it unless certain scenarios's force the Knicks FO's hands. It would require them to admit that their "Big 3" wasn't a good idea after all. And if we Knick fans know anything its that Dolan hates to admit when he is wrong (which in turn often leads to further mistakes)

If they do it though it would be based on them getting Lin or Not. If they Get Lin (and lets say have to backload his contract like a mofo) then I could see them moving Amare now in order to build a team around Melo and Lin exclusively as a way to start now to build for the future.

Fields is going to go for cheap so I could see them keeping him just because if they have to pay him roleplayer money only their is a lot of upside to his game as well, TD in my mind is either kept to be a cheap roleplayer or is trade fodder who knows?

Also its not about building a team to beat the Heat its about building a team that if they play their game can beat anyone. right now the way the knicks are built who knows what that identity is and Woodson asking Amare to develop a post game this late in his career isn't a good sign to me.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Knicks keep Lin unless they get Nash, that's my point of view. They need to go all in on the current situation. I like Lin but let's be honest - this team needs to win NOW and if it does not win now it will not win when Amar'e and Melo are in their mid-30's.

Pick up Nash.

Amar'e isn't going anywhere. Contract is tradeable. For those who are clamoring for his trade - did we already forget that Amar'e was playing some of the best two-way basketball of his career when Woodson was coaching him before the injury? The guy was playing good defense and taking good shots, and now that he came back from a back injury (likely not 100% either) and was unable to beat the Heat, we want to get rid of him? Please.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Knicks keep Lin unless they get Nash, that's my point of view. They need to go all in on the current situation. I like Lin but let's be honest - this team needs to win NOW and if it does not win now it will not win when Amar'e and Melo are in their mid-30's.

Amar'e and Melo would not win a championship if they stayed in their mid-20s for the rest of their lives.

You don't move Lin if you get Nash, you let Nash teach Lin. It's not one or the other with these two. Nash would be an awesome back-up to Lin.

tripleaamin9

Benchwarmer
Amar'e and Melo would not win a championship if they stayed in their mid-20s for the rest of their lives.

You don't move Lin if you get Nash, you let Nash teach Lin. It's not one or the other with these two. Nash would be an awesome back-up to Lin.

What r u smoking? Nash would never come here to be a backup. Saying that is homerism at its highest.

Wargames

Starter
What r u smoking? Nash would never come here to be a backup. Saying that is homerism at its highest.

its not homerism its a reality. Keep in mind I see the Sun's offering him a decent deal to let him retire there and draw crowds as they start the tough rebuild ahead of them. They have no prospective stars on their team and I don't see them getting into the playoffs anytime soon either.

But Nash is getting older and he could come to NY for that last decent pay day in a city that is his offseason home. He'll still get minutes, very good minutes even on a playoff team and in his free time he can transition here into his post NBA career.

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
Steve Nash is about 2 seasons from finishing his career. Im pretty sure he wants to play for a CHAMPIONSHIP contender. NY isn't it. I can see him going to Miami or to some other contender. Not sure why he'd come to NY. He can underachieve elsewhere