Why the Knicks will draft Emmanuel Mudiay: 10 reasons

Paul1355

All Star
With the 4th pick the Knicks pick!....

Emmanuel Mudiay!... but why?

10 reasons why Knicks will draft Mudiay:

1) Mudiay has been a top 5 prospect since Highschool- Coming out of HS Mudiay was rated above Towns and many others and he stood out in the Mcdonalds all star game. He has a history of being a big name before becoming the mysterious China man. Some say if he stayed in college he would be the consensus #1 pick.

2) He has amazing size for a PG- being a 6'5 PG makes every Knick fan drool. Most PG's will have a mis match facing Mudiay not only for his height but matched athleticism.

3) He uses his body well- Mudiay is strong, athletic and knows it. He not only knows it but uses which many players fail to do (Shumpert is a great example of a player that never used his athleticism to his advantage). He drives to basket and draws fouls which is ideal in a point guards league with refs calling every little foul (James Harden).

4) Floor general- name me the last pure floor general the Knicks had at PG? (Marbury maybe?)- Knicks are starving for a future pure PG to develop. And Melo needs a floor general to excel. The last one he had was Chauncey Billups that helped him reach the Western Conference Finals.

5) He is only compared to great PG's by scouts- names like John Wall, Russell Westbrook etc are compared to Mudiay and thats nothing to sniff at. If he is half of John Wall/ westbrook he is a steal pick at #4.

6) International experience- depending on your view of Chinese competition, Mudiay already has more experience than every player in the draft outside of Porzingis and Hezjona. The international scene is bringing in new talent that is rivaling college players.

7) Oozing potential- Out of all the players in the draft he might have the highest upside out of everyone. Russell doesn't have his athleticism and Mudiay might have just as good court vision.

8) He can hit a 3 point shot, therefore his shot has potential- Mudiays one weakness is his inconsistent shooting. Think of John Wall here. Wall came in the league with no outside shot and once he developed it he became a different player. This year Wall was nearly unstoppable and Mudiay can become that if his game is anything like John Wall.

9) He wants to be a Knick which means he can handle NY- Only certain players can excel in NY. Many shrivel and become better in smaller markets (Smith, Shump, Ariza, etc.) Mudiay said it would be a blessing to be in NY and referred to it as a basketball city- the Mecca. He also admitted the fans knowledge of the game and loving to play in NY when he was in Highschool and AAU.

10) Its a point guards league- as mentioned previously the PG has precedence over all positions. This conflicts with Jackson's triangle offense that favors a passing big man to control the high post. However, Jackson and Fisher know they have to change up the triangle a little bit since this is a different age. Mudiay excels in fast break and pick and rolls, therefore he is the dynamic playmaking PG that every team wants. He will get the foul calls and be able to excel in the NBA.

Note: the Pre draft workouts will determine everything here. If he impresses, than I think he is a lock at 4 over Winslow.

Thoughts?

mafra

Legend
He sounds grounded and wise in the interviews I've read. WCS is aloof, Russell ****y... I think is BBALL IQ, and defense, and rebounding, will be elite. Is he a fit in the triangle? Will PHIL poo-poo the PG position? Unless we sign B-Knight or trade for Jennings... who will play PG? I do not want Rondo... Anybody else?

KNICKS guards have stunk since the '70s... About time we draft a stud guard. This is a highly-touted prospect... best PG in the draft. Unless I fall in love with Pirzingis... MUDIAY ALL THE WAY BABY OR RUE THE DAY...

Since you guys are talking up Mudiay, say hypothetically Minny, Lakers, or Philly go way off script (something crazy like Prozingas) and the Knicks have available to them Mudiay/Okafor or Mudiay/Russell, would you prefer Mudiay?

mafra

Legend
Since you guys are talking up Mudiay, say hypothetically Minny, Lakers, or Philly go way off script (something crazy like Prozingas) and the Knicks have available to them Mudiay/Okafor or Mudiay/Russell, would you prefer Mudiay?

I would take Okafor. TOUGH call on EM or DR. Probably EM b/c of his defense. BUT DR is the better shooter.

mafra

Legend
Chad Ford, on NBA radio, says Purzingis is best international player since Dirk. He's currently playing in Spain... Avg 12 ppg now in world's 2nd best pro league... A freak athlete. 19. Can shoot NBA 3. Said if he played College in USA this year... Debate would be if he should be top pick in this draft. Says he'll be best player from draft 5 yrs from now.

CoolClyde

well, Mafra, this thread and your post on the Justise Winslow thread definitely has me higher on Mudiay. but these are the best type of problems to have, now I'd be happy getting Mudiay, Russell OR Winslow. just not that keen on the Latvian kid, but who knows, maybe the next thread will get me excited for him as well?

these next 5 weeks we'll be seeing and hearing a lot more about EM's game, i have a feeling his stock is going to rise... #2? Lakers? wow. what a dilemma that would be for Philly seeing how they're stacked with big men.

i have a feeling there will be wheeling and dealing in this draft and shortly thereafter. it's one big f*cking questionmark.

Broadway

All Star
I would take Okafor. TOUGH call on EM or DR. Probably EM b/c of his defense. BUT DR is the better shooter.

I'd take Okafor too

My top 10 prospects in particular order

1. Okafor
2. Mudiay
3. Hezonja
4. Towns
5. Kaminsky
6. Russell
7. Winslow
8. Turner
9. Porzingis
10. Johnson

I'd take Okafor too

1. Okafor
2. Mudiay
3. Hezonja
4. Towns
5. Kaminsky
6. Russell
7. Winslow
8. Turner
9. Porzingis
10. Johnson

Why are you so high on Hezonja? Is that your list specifically for the Knicks or just in general?

Paul1355

All Star
If Russell or Okafor are available I would take them over Mudiay. If both are available I would take Okafor simply for need. However, I think Russell has the most upside :)

Paul1355

All Star
Chad Ford, on NBA radio, says Purzingis is best international player since Dirk. He's currently playing in Spain... Avg 12 ppg now in world's 2nd best pro league... A freak athlete. 19. Can shoot NBA 3. Said if he played College in USA this year... Debate would be if he should be top pick in this draft. Says he'll be best player from draft 5 yrs from now.

He is either a Nikola Mitotic who is instant offense or a Danillo Gallinari that took years to come into his own...not sure if we can afford that risk at #4....if we trade down than Prozingis or Hezjona are serious players.

Paul1355

All Star
I'd take Okafor too

1. Okafor
2. Mudiay
3. Hezonja
4. Towns
5. Kaminsky
6. Russell
7. Winslow
8. Turner
9. Porzingis
10. Johnson
interesting list....Russell so low, Hezonja so high...towns at 4??

Kaminsky at 5?

I do question this list for multiple reasons.

I feel like you're list is based on performances you have witnessed. Is Okafor #1 because of his heroics in the championship game? Because Towns dominated in the tournament more than Okafor did.

Kaminsky at 5? He was projected late 1st round before tournament. I do a admit he showed up Okafor but maybe thats just because of his high IQ and ability to shoot. But can he defend the paint and play well against legit centers in NBA? I think many players are ahead of him. I have Kaminsky going to Pacers in lottery.

Winslow might have been more valuable than Okafor, yet Okafor is 1 and Winslow is 7....hmm.

And Hezonja can easily be another J.R Smith/ Monta Ellis type. Quick trigger with no discipline.

mafra

Legend

Just remember this: Mudiay had 15 points & 6 assistsin 21 minutes (2014 McDonald's All-American Game). Okafor was the MVP…there wasa reason why Okafor-Mudiay were the 2most highly touted, rated, coveted HSrecruits last year.

Guys like Towns, and Winslow, played on teams with 6-7other blue chip, All-Americans… Most nights, they played against FAR inferiorcompetition… teams with 1-2 All-Americans. NBA scouts realize this… This doesn’t suggest Towns wont dominate… butlet’s not diminish Mudiay’s status b/c he played in China, b/c we say Kentuckydominate Vanderbilt.

jbeachboy

Rookie
pg

Just remember this: Mudiay had 15 points & 6 assistsin 21 minutes (2014 McDonald's All-American Game). Okafor was the MVP?there wasa reason why Okafor-Mudiay were the 2most highly touted, rated, coveted HSrecruits last year.

Guys like Towns, and Winslow, played on teams with 6-7other blue chip, All-Americans? Most nights, they played against FAR inferiorcompetition? teams with 1-2 All-Americans. NBA scouts realize this? This doesn?t suggest Towns wont dominate? butlet?s not diminish Mudiay?s status b/c he played in China, b/c we say Kentuckydominate Vanderbilt.

is a pg who cant shoot too well worth taking in the triangle offense?

mafra

Legend
is a pg who cant shoot too well worth taking in the triangle offense?

Coming out of college, John Wall and Jason Kidd were PGs who couldnt shoot well... Just bc we run the triangle offense, would it be wise to pass on them? Phil wont be here in 2-3 yrs anyway...

Kiyaman

Legend
Coming out of college, John Wall and Jason Kidd were PGs who couldnt shoot well... Just bc we run the triangle offense, would it be wise to pass on them? Phil wont be here in 2-3 yrs anyway...

u cant compare John Wall with Jason Kidd college or rookie season, both came into the league on teams with bum rosters.
Somehow Jason Kidd had 17 and 20 assist games in his rookie season on Dallas Mavs = leadership n high team IQ. Its true Pass-First PG-Jason Kidd never had a scoring in his NBA career.

Mudiay not going to college makes Mudiay QUESTIONABLE for the NBA.
Mudiay was not a high recruit from high school because of his high IQ in passing the ball to teammates.
Mudiay luv to dribble b4 shooting n b4 passing, thats a bad habit u get rid of in college having several scoring teammates. The reason why D.Angelo Russell practice passing throughout his freshmen season at Ohio State, and the reason Russell will be drafted b4 Mudiay.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
u cant compare John Wall with Jason Kidd college or rookie season, both came into the league on teams with bum rosters.
Somehow Jason Kidd had 17 and 20 assist games in his rookie season on Dallas Mavs = leadership n high team IQ. Its true Pass-First PG-Jason Kidd never had a scoring in his NBA career.

Mudiay not going to college makes Mudiay QUESTIONABLE for the NBA.
Mudiay was not a high recruit from high school because of his high IQ in passing the ball to teammates.
Mudiay luv to dribble b4 shooting n b4 passing, thats a bad habit u get rid of in college having several scoring teammates. The reason why D.Angelo Russell practice passing throughout his freshmen season at Ohio State, and the reason Russell will be drafted b4 Mudiay.

Why not....Mudiay or Russell stand the chance to come into the same situation?

Mudiay not going to college doesn't make him questionable for the league, this is you injecting your personal opinions as facts. Fact Mudiay played against more NBA pros than the majority of players entering this yrs draft. Guys like Andray Blatche played in the same league as Mudiay. Mudiay was a high recruit regardless of skillset. And if your statements hold true about scoring and passing was why Tyreke Evans drafted before Rubio, why was Steph Curry drafted before Ty Lawson.

You still have to consider the finer details which can play a factor vs your personal preferences.

Kiyaman

Legend
Why not....Mudiay or Russell stand the chance to come into the same situation?

Mudiay not going to college doesn't make him questionable for the league, this is you injecting your personal opinions as facts. Fact Mudiay played against more NBA pros than the majority of players entering this yrs draft. Guys like Andray Blatche played in the same league as Mudiay. Mudiay was a high recruit regardless of skillset. And if your statements hold true about scoring and passing was why Tyreke Evans drafted before Rubio, why was Steph Curry drafted before Ty Lawson.

You still have to consider the finer details which can play a factor vs your personal preferences.

Which do u prefer on the Knicks?
Pass first PG = Kidd n Lawson n Rubio n Russell
Shoot first PG = Wall n Curry n Evans n Mudiay

Coaches improve young talent not oponents .. look at how coach Mark Jackson changed Stephen Curry's entire PG performance from shoot-first to pass-first. I'm not saying coach Fisher dont have the ability to improve Mudiay talent into a star PG.