The Official "MeloDrama" Thread Feb 18th - Feb 24th

la2ny

Starter
If we get Billups & Melo, will D'Antoni's system work for these two guys? Thoughts, Opinions?
Of course, I honestly think Billups would be a little better off because he's a better shooter than Felton especially in transition. He can hit that 3 unlike the uncertainty of a Felton 3. Melo is a great scorer, he can blend, he's too smart a player not to.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Of course, I honestly think Billups would be a little better off because he's a better shooter than Felton especially in transition. He can hit that 3 unlike the uncertainty of a Felton 3. Melo is a great scorer, he can blend, he's too smart a player not to.

I agree w the above. The two would mesh well.

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
were you listening to wfan? what are your thoughts on that?

I don't know... Guess we will find out.... Btw, Stat spoke up about the Melo proposed trade and said that he would be very happy to play with Melo but at the same time, is a bit annoyed seeing the team gutted and so many bodies go.

Madhatter9382

Benchwarmer
they mentioned that melo was a "ball stopper" and that he could mess up the flow of d'antoni's system but i can't imagine such a great scorer messing up a high scoring system....

STAT1

Starter
If we get Billups & Melo, will D'Antoni's system work for these two guys? Thoughts, Opinions?

I think it can work just fine. Denver runs plenty and takes plenty of 3 point shots. Billups isn't as quick running up and down the court as he used to be but he can still make plays in transition and can run the pick and roll well, he should have little problem doing that with STAT. Melo is going to score no matter what system he plays in.

la2ny

Starter
Why the Knicks Owe Amar'e This Trade

NEW YORK -- As they sort through their mile-high pile of reasons to do business with Denver, the New York Knicks should consider the sentiments of a franchise player in dire need of a franchise.
Amare Stoudemire has invested everything he has in the Knicks -- mind, body and soul -- and it's time for the Knicks to invest everything they have in him.
This isn't about the $100 million coming Stoudemire's way, a deal that already looks like the smartest one Jim Dolan's ever made. Money alone can buy Stoudemire a lot of things, even 25 percent of the Mets, but in a salary-capped league it cannot buy him a lineup he can be proud of.

A trade for Carmelo Anthony can.
Stoudemire deserves this deal. For putting a godforsaken team on his shoulders, for carrying that team back to respectability with uncommon grace, and for accepting a monumental challenge that sent LeBron James scurrying to the beach, Stoudemire deserves a reason to believe the Knicks will win their long-lost title within the next three or four years, before his legs give out for good.

Anthony would be that reason.
The Knicks are only 28-26 without him. They defeated the Atlanta Hawks, 102-90, Wednesday night, when Stoudemire managed 23 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks, and a dozen displays of raw emotion inspired by Al Horford, who lost the physical battle to the Knicks star after scoring a 48-hour trash-talking draw in their prelim.
"It's just my character," said Stoudemire, who played through his sore big toe. "It motivates me sometimes when I make those types of quotes. So it's a matter of motivation and getting our guys ready to go."
Stoudemire said his toe will be ready to go at the All-Star Game in Los Angeles, where he'll surely spend some quality time with a certain Brooklyn-born Western Conference starter dying to come home, sweet home.
Reject Denver's demands and sign Carmelo Anthony as a free agent in the summer? It's not that simple. The New Jersey Nets are back in pursuit, making a grandstanding liar out of Mikhail Prokhorov, and the Nuggets have always preferred the Nets' assets to the Knicks' assets.

But there's more. Anthony has poured so much time and energy into making himself available to the Knicks, his chosen destination, that one source close to the talks believes Anthony will refuse to accept a summertime discount to play in Madison Square Garden in the event Donnie Walsh fails to deal before next Thursday's deadline.

"Melo has been the driving force behind this thing all along," the source said, "and you've got to give the kid credit. He's put himself way out there, and Denver finally engaged the Knicks and is willing to do a deal, a huge step forward.
"Melo wants to be a Knick, he's let everyone know that, and now the Knicks have to do their part.I still think it's 80-20 that he ends up in New York in a trade. But if Melo doesn't get traded, he's going to be very upset and I don't think he ever plays for the Knicks."
Walsh cannot let this moment and opportunity pass. If the Knicks don't land Anthony, they'll never land Chris Paul or Deron Williams in the summer of 2012.
This math isn't fuzzy. No "big two" equals no "big three." Neither Paul nor Williams has any desire to be the last Knick standing when Stoudemire's aching knees and toes finally catch up to him.
And yes, it's going to take a lot of vision and creativity from Walsh (or whoever might replace Walsh) to clear the requisite salary space for one of the megastar point guards, assuming the new labor agreement doesn't take a healthy divot out of the cap.
A trade for Anthony actually helps the big-picture process. Wilson Chandler will be a restricted free agent this summer, and Danilo Gallinari will be a restricted free agent next summer. If the Knicks can move one or both in a two- or three-team trade that brings back Anthony, their 2012 books will be much better for it.
Of course Denver wants a ton in return, and of course the Knicks will have to part with young, developing players they don't necessarily want to part with. But asked Wednesday night if he'd be willing to deal two or three starters in a trade, any trade, Walsh said, "If it's a good trade, I would do it.
Carmelo Anthony represents a good trade, and the Nets appear more eager than the Knicks to embrace this truth. One more time, the Nets are talking to the Nuggets about a package of first-round picks built around rookie Derrick Favors. One source close to the talks between New Jersey and Denver said the Nets are "wading in the shallow end of the pool right now, and worried about going back into the deep end a third time and drowning."
The Nets would come across as fools if they fail to close again, yet the Knicks still have more to lose. The momentum they gained by signing Stoudemire and fielding a competitive team would crash into a brick wall, leaving the master plan in a billion little pieces.
"I think we've made a huge jump since last year," said Stoudemire, measuring the 28 victories at the break against the 29 claimed by last season's Knicks over 82 games.
Reminded that he is the franchise's first All-Star starter since Patrick Ewing, Stoudemire said he was happiest for the long-suffering fans ("They deserve this type of success," he said) and spoke of showing some professionalism in L.A., another sure sign that he really, really gets it.
"It's kind of blown me away how well he's conducted himself within the franchise with the people who work here," Walsh said, "and outside the franchise with the fans he meets and everybody he talks to."
It's Walsh's turn to amaze his best player and most passionate and accountable leader. The Knicks have plenty of reasons to trade for Carmelo Anthony, and doing right by Amare Stoudemire is better than most of them.-Connor

STAT1

Starter
If this trade doesn't go down, I wonder how the psyche's of our young players will be effected knowing the Knicks offered them up in the deal to get Melo and failed. Gallo and Wilson both played pretty poorly when their names were being thrown around in all those trade talks the past couple weeks. Especially Wilson he has to know he'll be on his way out this summer anyway if Carmelo is still a Nugget after the deadline and hasn't signed that extension yet.

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
If this trade doesn't go down, I wonder how the psyche's of our young players will be effected knowing the Knicks offered them up in the deal to get Melo and failed. Gallo and Wilson both played pretty poorly when their names were being thrown around in all those trade talks the past couple weeks. Especially Wilson he has to know he'll be on his way out this summer anyway if Carmelo is still a Nugget after the deadline and hasn't signed that extension yet.

Pretty good point. Imagine if this trade doesn't go down now. Kinda destroys the Morale of all the players offered in trade.

la2ny

Starter
Wilson is leaving anyway lol. we will not pay him what he wanted even if we didn't go after Melo in the summer lol.

Regarding the players if they don't get shipped...they will be fine. They will know they are secure. If they aren't then idk what to say. The NBA is a mans game. Mostly mentally, so if they can't deal with the BUSINESS side of things then they can go play pickup and-1 ball or something.

moneyg

Starter
I don't know... Guess we will find out.... Btw, Stat spoke up about the Melo proposed trade and said that he would be very happy to play with Melo but at the same time, is a bit annoyed seeing the team gutted and so many bodies go.

i think it can work if Oantoni wasnt so stubborn andlacked versatility.... he doenst want to slow it down to maxmize players skills..

he only wants players that fit his system and wouldnt adjust like so many good coaches would...

my feelings has always been if we get billups and melo ...our coach has got to go..unless we got a plan for this summer ..buy out billups... and get a better pg for oantonis system.... who that pg is.. i have no clue...

la2ny

Starter
Pretty good point. Imagine if this trade doesn't go down now. Kinda destroys the Morale of all the players offered in trade.
Why? It should make them feel better knowing they are still there. They should look at it in this view" Im going to show management they were going to make a big mistake by trading me" or "Hell im good enough to be trade for one of the best players in the league" instead of "OMG they were going to trade me :'( ".

STAT1

Starter
Wilson is leaving anyway lol. we will not pay him what he wanted even if we didn't go after Melo in the summer lol.

Regarding the players if they don't get shipped...they will be fine. They will know they are secure. If they aren't then idk what to say. The NBA is a mans game. Mostly mentally, so if they can't deal with the BUSINESS side of things then they can go play pickup and-1 ball or something.

I really don't think either Gallinari or Wilson will be secure if this deal doesn't get done. There will always be the spectre of Melo signing with us this summer and Wilson being renounced or traded, and then there's always Chris Paul or Deron Williams in 2012. Both of our young guys are going to have to deal with these trade rumors for the foreseeable future.

I think it's best for all parties involved to get this deal done at this point so everyone can know where they stand and we can move forward in rebuilding our franchise and the Nuggets can do the same with theirs.

la2ny

Starter
i think it can work if Oantoni wasnt so stubborn andlacked versatility.... he doenst want to slow it down to maxmize players skills..

he only wants players that fit his system and wouldnt adjust like so many good coaches would...

my feelings has always been if we get billups and melo ...our coach has got to go..unless we got a plan for this summer ..buy out billups... and get a better pg for oantonis system.... who that pg is.. i have no clue...
Billups contract is up after this year anyway.

Also sidenote. People have been overlooking that if Melo is traded his extension doesn't kick in until after the 2011-2012 season. Which means him and Amar'e would make nearly the same amount next year I believe Melo around 18 mill and Stat 17-20 mill. Which at this point leaves us under alot under the cap w/ Billup coming off and not having Wilson or Gallo or Curry. Everyone we'd have would be cheap! :beer::gony:

la2ny

Starter
I really don't think either Gallinari or Wilson will be secure if this deal doesn't get done. There will always be the spectre of Melo signing with us this summer and Wilson being renounced or traded, and then there's always Chris Paul or Deron Williams in 2012. Both of our young guys are going to have to deal with these trade rumors for the foreseeable future.

I think it's best for all parties involved to get this deal done at this point so everyone can know where they stand and we can move forward in rebuilding our franchise and the Nuggets can do the same with theirs.
Which is exactly why they should be able to deal with it. Hell they have played in New York the past few years, you'd think they can handle a few trade rumors.