The Official "MeloDrama" Thread Feb 18th - Feb 24th

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
nice, Gallo i always felt that we were likely to deal him but that leaves us with a week second unit as there really arent any bona fide scorers coming off. but hey this gives us a nice playoff starting lineup that may win a series then we come back rebuilt next year. apparently they have agreed on the parameters and are working out little things. yet if the melo drama has taught us anything is believe it when you see it

STAT1

Starter
Also sidenote. People have been overlooking that if Melo is traded his extension doesn't kick in until after the 2011-2012 season. Which means him and Amar'e would make nearly the same amount next year I believe Melo around 18 mill and Stat 17-20 mill. Which at this point leaves us under alot under the cap w/ Billup coming off and not having Wilson or Gallo or Curry.

Wouldn't the extension go into effect after this season and the player option year voided?

Hayato

Benchwarmer
nice, Gallo i always felt that we were likely to deal him but that leaves us with a week second unit as there really arent any bona fide scorers coming off. but hey this gives us a nice playoff starting lineup that may win a series then we come back rebuilt next year. apparently they have agreed on the parameters and are working out little things. yet if the melo drama has taught us anything is believe it when you see it
williams is pretty good

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
I'm not trying to jump the gun or anything, but if this goes down.. Does anyone else here feel kind of dirty about the trade. I think ultimately you gotta do it, but I'm gonna miss Felton :( and Galo.... Chandler maybe a lil but I always though he would go anyways.

moneyg

Starter
Billups contract is up after this year anyway.

Also sidenote. People have been overlooking that if Melo is traded his extension doesn't kick in until after the 2011-2012 season. Which means him and Amar'e would make nearly the same amount next year I believe Melo around 18 mill and Stat 17-20 mill. Which at this point leaves us under alot under the cap w/ Billup coming off and not having Wilson or Gallo or Curry. Everyone we'd have would be cheap! :beer::gony:

biluups contract is not up after this season.. he can be bought out for 4 mill..its a team option

2012 we could get d will or paul.. if we get rid of these guys.. they would have to go anyway..

STAT1

Starter
Which is exactly why they should be able to deal with it. Hell they have played in New York the past few years, you'd think they can handle a few trade rumors.

No, I don't really think they can handle them to tell you the truth. They both have been playing erradically of late, just as the Melo trade rumors have really been heating up. Ray Felton had to have a personal sitdown with those guys to try and get them focused on trying to play basketball and letting the business side of things handle themselves last week. It's always tougher for young guys who've never been through these things to deal with these off the court distractions, much easier for a veteran like Felton who's been around a little. Wilson & Gallo are both still only kids when you really think about it, 23 & 22 years old. They both obviously want to remain a Knick and both obviously have personal ties to this team and this head coach. I think if a deal doesn't get done these distractions will negatively effect their play for the rest of the year.

la2ny

Starter
Well as it stands right now our bench was pretty much as inconsistent as the starters. Wilson is our only "6th man" type guy. Now we'd pretty much have the same bench. T.Doug, Williams, Turiaf, Walker.

I still think we should try and figure out if we could lowball Memphis w/ Azu's expiring contract and a bench warmer for Mayo or wait and see if Rip Hamilton is bought out lol.

la2ny

Starter
biluups contract is not up after this season.. he can be bought out for 4 mill..its a team option

2012 we could get d will or paul.. if we get rid of these guys.. they would have to go anyway..
Well either way he can be gone so it doesn't really matter. the whole team would be made around Melo-Stat so the glue guys can be had. Not saying throw everyone in a trade, just saying picking up role players would be a little easier.

la2ny

Starter
No, I don't really think they can handle them to tell you the truth. They both have been playing erradically of late, just as the Melo trade rumors have really been heating up. Ray Felton had to have a personal sitdown with those guys to try and get them focused on trying to play basketball and letting the business side of things handle themselves last week. It's always tougher for young guys who've never been through these things to deal with these off the court distractions, much easier for a veteran like Felton who's been around a little. Wilson & Gallo are both still only kids when you really think about it, 23 & 22 years old. They both obviously want to remain a Knick and both obviously have personal ties to this team and this head coach. I think if a deal doesn't get done these distractions will negatively effect their play for the rest of the year.
Well if that is the case then we're screwed aren't we? lol. I mean this has been the same thing since b4 the season started and Wil has played great in games then others he's non-existent Gallo it's the same. I believe their age has alot to do w/ their inconsistencies than do these rumors. Yes they have thought about them, but honestly they where inconsistent even before the rumors heated up.

KingofNy

Starter
The reason had been stated many times already. The same guys getting traded aren't going to be here for the long term. Wilson is gone whether we like it or not. If we sign him he's definetly gone. Gallo and Felt will have to be gone in 2012 for a 3rd star(Williams,Paul) but even if we didn't they can be replaced.

Guys quit looking at this for this season. Were ****ed either way. We aren't in the top 4 period point blank ok. So thats is not going to change whether he's here or not. What it does do is give us a better chance at putting up a fight in the first round and getting him and Amare together and moving on. This is about next season and on.

I agree 100%. Getting Carmelo is all about the next few years, not THIS year. We can easily find wing guys to pair with Carmelo in FA/Draft in the off-season. It's almost sad that us fans are so happy being a .500 team for one season that we don't want to give that up to make us a contender next season and the foreseeable future. Stat isn't getting any younger, we need to surround him with talent now before his knees go out and he's worthless. How can some fans not see this? Do they actually think we're a contender this season? LOL!!! :teeth:

moneyg

Starter
Well either way he can be gone so it doesn't really matter. the whole team would be made around Melo-Stat so the glue guys can be had. Not saying throw everyone in a trade, just saying picking up role players would be a little easier.

hopefully its defensive role players..

but i think walker, williams, t dog, etc are rotation players

STAT1

Starter
Well if that is the case then we're screwed aren't we? lol. I mean this has been the same thing since b4 the season started and Wil has played great in games then others he's non-existent Gallo it's the same. I believe their age has alot to do w/ their inconsistencies than do these rumors. Yes they have thought about them, but honestly they where inconsistent even before the rumors heated up.

The age factor is definitely another cause for their inconsistency I agree. Just wish we wouldn't have to deal with any more of these trade talk distractions after the deadline passes but if Melo is still a Nugget then get ready for another 5 months of the same. Blah.

Madhatter9382

Benchwarmer

I'm not trying to jump the gun or anything, but if this goes down.. Does anyone else here feel kind of dirty about the trade. I think ultimately you gotta do it, but I'm gonna miss Felton :( and Galo.... Chandler maybe a lil but I always though he would go anyways.

I feel the worst for felton, he signed here on his own and has played his absolute heart out, all guts, toughness and he's been great... and we turn around and possibly trade him

la2ny

Starter
hopefully its defensive role players..

but i think walker, williams, t dog, etc are rotation players
Yes they are, and honestly I think this is a good thing for a player like Bill Walker. And who knows, what if Roger Mason magically caught a hot streak like in SA? We might have another player to use.

Also defensive players in the summer will always be there and for cheap if we have a defenitive contender you know? A Dalembert knows he's not going to get big bucks anymore and he's not young anymore, but he can still play a big role on a contender. He knows if he goes to a Boston or LA he's not going to be playing as much as if he went to NY or Miami. Throw in we'd most likely have more money than Miami and we sign those type of players for under market value. Then your wing defenders can be coaxed into joining like a Matt Barnes and Shane Battier. Matt who will most likely be a fa this summer and Shannon Brown(who couldv'e been a knick this year).

STAT1

Starter
I feel the worst for felton, he signed here on his own and has played his absolute heart out, all guts, toughness and he's been great... and we turn around and possibly trade him

From his standpoint it has to be maddening to hear your name in these rumors after you left money on the table to sign up with the Knicks. He could have probably gotten a longer term contract elsewhere if he really wanted to, but he should have known this would happen especially when Donnie Walsh would only commit to a 2 year deal that pretty much tells you right there you're going to be a potential trade chip sooner or later.

la2ny

Starter
The age factor is definitely another cause for their inconsistency I agree. Just wish we wouldn't have to deal with any more of these trade talk distractions after the deadline passes but if Melo is still a Nugget then get ready for another 5 months of the same. Blah.
Well atleast until the playoffs lol.:thumbsup:

la2ny

Starter
From his standpoint it has to be maddening to hear your name in these rumors after you left money on the table to sign up with the Knicks. He could have probably gotten a longer term contract elsewhere if he really wanted to, but he should have known this would happen especially when Donnie Walsh would only commit to a 2 year deal that pretty much tells you right there you're going to be a potential trade chip sooner or later.
Yeah I feel kind of bad for Ray, but im pretty sure he knew what situation he was walking into. It wasn't a long term commitment you know. And to actually have a point in FA where we mulled over Ray or Ridnour, has to kind of tell you something lol.

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Yes they are, and honestly I think this is a good thing for a player like Bill Walker. And who knows, what if Roger Mason magically caught a hot streak like in SA? We might have another player to use.

Also defensive players in the summer will always be there and for cheap if we have a defenitive contender you know? A Dalembert knows he's not going to get big bucks anymore and he's not young anymore, but he can still play a big role on a contender. He knows if he goes to a Boston or LA he's not going to be playing as much as if he went to NY or Miami. Throw in we'd most likely have more money than Miami and we sign those type of players for under market value. Then your wing defenders can be coaxed into joining like a Matt Barnes and Shane Battier. Matt who will most likely be a fa this summer and Shannon Brown(who couldv'e been a knick this year).

I think most likely we'll be signing Earl Barron and maybe Patrick Ewing Jr. would be an option to fill a roster spot on the cheap if this Melo deal goes down. This summer there are some intriguing options as far as role players go. One guy I would heavily consider is Reggie Evans, that is a guy who I really feel would help this franchise add some toughness and gritty play, and he's 1 of the best rebounders in the game for his minutes played which definitely helps us. Not really a D'Antoni style player though his offensive skills are very limited.

la2ny

Starter
I think most likely we'll be signing Earl Barron and maybe Patrick Ewing Jr. would be an option to fill a roster spot on the cheap if this Melo deal goes down. This summer there are some intriguing options as far as role players go. One guy I would heavily consider is Reggie Evans, that is a guy who I really feel would help this franchise add some toughness and gritty play, and he's 1 of the best rebounders in the game for his minutes played which definitely helps us. Not really a D'Antoni style player though his offensive skills are very limited.
Exactly. Our prospects are for past this year and if we get this deal done we can proceed to looking at building the rest of the team instead of the core. This is another reason why I figure D'antoni will be gone or has to be gone because he hinders us from becoming a "complete" team. He wouldn't want a player like Bynum, who slows down a team and plays back to the basket, but would rather have Gasol play C if he had a choice. A player like Reggie would be great to just be a defender-rebounder. Those are the "championship glue" guys you need. Scrap for everything and always know their role.