2014 Knicks Preseason Game Threads and Analysis

paris401

Starter
Berman wrote a story today saying Acy may become the Knicks starting PF. Bargs better play his butt off at both ends if he wants that starters job.

mr softee...BLOWS... he sucked in Canada, and he sucks even more here... we go no-where with dick in the line-up... same with jr...lets write-off the season in oct....

Kiyaman

Legend
Berman wrote a story today saying Acy may become the Knicks starting PF. Bargs better play his butt off at both ends if he wants that starters job.

Berman is a idiot like Dolan .. NY is stuck with both idiots .. writer/owner

Acy is a 6.7 hustling 3 (SF) .. just bc Acy does all the dirty-work Berman want to put Acy in the starter lineup with non-hustle Melo.
Sorry, it wont pass when we play teams like Wizards (Gortat/Nene), Hawks (Horford/Milsap), Nets (Lopez/Plumlee), Pacers (Hibbert/West). Acy would get in early foul trouble, or let those big men score at will.
We want a energy Acy defending the 3 spot on guys like Paul Pierce, not Nene. Or Deng, not Bosh.

How come I feel that Barg & Amare don't want to be on the court with Melo or JR isolation system?
So the best 4 on the roster to be a starter in the frontcourt with Dally & Melo would be Jason Smith.
Phil Jax signed Jason Smith to be Dalembert backup, both are career 24 minute big-men.
Amare salary this season is $23M ... Barg salary is $11M

Center Dalembert and Dirk won 49 games last season, the Mavs Dirk never had to worry about defending Dally's man, or Marion's man bc the two went around a pick to stay with their man.

There's nothing wrong with starting Barg or Amare alongside of C-Dally .. Its the no-defending 3 spot SF-Melo that's the major problem each season when selecting a starter PF, or PG.
Since the arrival of Melo in 2011, the Knicks had over 10 PF on the roster, and that's not including Amare.
Recall the 2011-12 season when Melo played PF, we had five PF on the roster that season.

tiger0330

Legend
Fisher still experimenting with starting Stat but I don't get why he gives so much playing time to Larkin, he's not ready. The staff finally brought in Prigs and he impacted the game with a couple of steals, a 3 and an assist to Timmy for an easy 2.

Knicks offense looks the best it has all season and DFish has a nice problem at SG, Timmy is on fire and is the best shooter of Iman, JR and him IMO.

The boys are making progress but the starting 2 and 4 are still up in the air.

tiger0330

Legend
Best game of the preseason. Looking for DFish to put 5 guys out there that can close the game for the win but he probably doesn't care about winning the game. Its raining threes by both teams.

tiger0330

Legend
The D sucked and what was most disappointing was the Bucks pulled away with Shump, Melo and Stat on the floor. Why Fisher decided he wanted to try Stat at C I don't know but I hope he doesn't do it again.

No two players on our roster have any chemistry on the court, regardless of lineup. We will improve as the season goes along, unless we are going to have every single player get hurt every other game. Between Bargs, Calderon, and Jason Smith, we already have had enough potential disruptions to the start of our season by these guys missing time in the preseason.

tiger0330

Legend
DFish is going to have his set rotation on Fri. at the Raptors game. Unless Calderon is injured more seriously than reported DFish only has to decide who plays the starting SG and PF position unless he seriously wants to consider Stat at the 5. The Knicks depth at both those positions is pretty deep so I think its more important not who starts but to have set rotations to begin the season with.

Kiyaman

Legend
No two players on our roster have any chemistry on the court,
regardless of lineup. We will improve as the season goes along, unless we are going to have every single player get hurt every other game. Between Bargs, Calderon, and Jason Smith, we already have had enough potential disruptions to the start of our season by these guys missing time in the preseason.

So true, no two Knicks players has tandem to work together on offense or defense in any of the 5 preseason games.
The Knicks are playing ball like every player are trying out for the same position. SAD!

Kiyaman

Legend
Here are some comments from Melo and JR after the Knicks loss to the mediocre Bucks team:

The most alarming news of Monday night figured to be Jose Calderon’s calf injury that forced him out for good, limping to the locker room, after just four minutes.

But that paled in comparison to the Knicks’ weak defensive showing in losing to the lowly Bucks, 120-107, in a Garden preseason game that stung more than most.

Knicks coach Derek Fisher said afterward he expects Calderon to play Wednesday against Washington, and he may have returned if it were a regular-season game. However, Fisher had little answer for the defensive woes as the Bucks shot 59.7 percent and eight Milwaukee players hit double figures, led by O.J. Mayo’s 24-points-in-30-minutes explosion off the bench.

“Not taking nothing away from that team, but we shouldn’t be giving up 120 points to them,’’ Carmelo Anthony said.

Anthony scored 24 points but missed eight of his last nine shots in a clunky fourth quarter, picking up where he left off last season. The defense stunk after having a decent preseason in allowing just 86 points per game.

Anthony praised opposing coach, and former teammate, Jason Kidd’s work.

“J-Kidd felt how the game was going and went small ball,’’ Anthony said. “It’s something we haven’t even worked on.”

Fisher started Amar’e Stoudemire at center over Sam Dalembert, who logged just 7:31 of action, his defense missed.

“It was a tough night from a matchup standpoint,’’ Fisher said. “We don’t spend a ton of time on matchups against each team. Tonight our small lineup didn’t find ways to protect the paint.’’

J.R. Smith said some bad shots “messed with the team morale” and caused the team to be slow getting back on defense.

Iman Shumpert had a rare rough night defensively. “We let them dictate the pace of the game,’’ he said.

Anthony said he feels the Knicks will be better once Fisher figures out a consistent lineup.

The Knicks had 4 players shooting 3-balls with 15 seconds or more still on the shot clock throughout the game, which total to 35 3-ball shots taken in the game.
I always thought 3-ball shots were suppose to be taken in the 4th quarter,
or the final 2 minutes of a quarter.
When it comes to the no-chemistry Knicks, I been wrong the 3-ball shot is the Knicks only system.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
PG-Calderon and Barg out for the Wizards game.

It's up to PG-Prigioni & PG-Larkins to hold us down in the Wizards game.

Fisher starters Larkins, THJ, Melo, and BIGS - Smith & Dally.
Stat & Cole came off the bench as backup BIGS.
The Knicks went the entire first half without playing small-ball or 3-ball .. Thats a record
Even at half-time 50-51

tiger0330

Legend
I wanted to see more of that Dally/Smith combo and when Jason is hitting that shot it works very well. I don't think Dally has scored but his passing, D, shot blocking make him the starting C to me. Dally is dominating Gortat.

Tough decision for Fisher at SG, Shump and THJ have been playing well.

tiger0330

Legend
Wow, Melo back in with 7 mins left in a close preseason game. Didn't expect that but you got to practice closing out games.

tiger0330

Legend
John Wall knows how to close out a game. Doing it on both ends, if the Wiz win this it'll be because of him.

Prigs made his case for the backup PG over Larkin to me.

tiger0330

Legend
Fun game. I loved Prigioni taking and making that shot near the end.

Go Knicks!!!
It was a great game, felt like a regular season game.

Melo was clutch but I did see a few ISO plays where guys just stood around letting him do his work. Guess ISO Melo is going to be in the Knicks playbook despite the triangle.

If that Wizards preseason game is in any way an indication of what we are going to see this season, I'm more excited to get things started than ever. This team may not have a roster of world beaters, but a game like that gives you hope that as things start to mesh, maybe this season can be a big step in the right direction.

Kiyaman

Legend
If that Wizards preseason game is in any way an indication of what we are going to see this season, I'm more excited to get things started than ever. This team may not have a roster of world beaters, but a game like that gives you hope that as things start to mesh, maybe this season can be a big step in the right direction.

Who beat the Wizards? not Calderon, not the 3 bobble-head SG, and not the $25M per franchise-player.
The Knicks TWO-BIGS in the lineup throughout the 48 minutes (Dally & Smith, and 2nd unit Cole & Stat ).
LETS GO :gony:KNICKS!!!

tiger0330

Legend
Last pre-season game. DFish said you'll get a glimpse of the starting lineup, who do you think it'll be?

My guess. Yes, I like Melo at the 4 and please don't start Stat at the 5 otherwise you're going to get a lot of games like that Bucks game, where a team lights you up from outside and in the paint. Amare just can not protect the rim any longer.

Calderon
Shump
THJ
Melo
Dally

tiger0330

Legend
Just saw this. Looks like this is going to be the starting lineup for game 1 against the Bulls. Didn't think Smith would start at PF though I thought the combo of Dally and Smith worked well if Jason is hitting his shot, just thought he would back up Dally and play some backup PF. Larkin is starting tonight presumably because of JC calf strain, DFish has a lot of faith in Larkin for some reason.

Calderon
Shump
Melo
Jason Smith
Dally