2014 Knicks Preseason Game Threads and Analysis

paris401

Starter
Amare just can not protect the rim any longer.

incorrect... I like amare, pity he has $hitty knees, but he never defended even in phoenix when he was young and had 'spring in the ankles'... tho to be fair 'No-D' antoni, probably never taught "D"...

tiger0330

Legend
Good start by the Knicks. Dally is cleaning up on the boards, Melo has a couple if buckets on second chance opportunities. JR first off the bench to replace Shump and not THJ. Acy and Stat in for Dally and Smith. THJ in for Melo.

Looks like that's going to be the rotation for the Knicks. They look pretty good after the 1st qr.

tiger0330

Legend
Larkin is out in foul trouble and Prigs is in. I wonder who's going to be the backup PG, DFish seems to favor Larkin. Let's see how many minutes Larkin gets the rest of the game.

tiger0330

Legend
Good first half by the Knicks. Only 4 to's, they have more steals than to's and Dally is cleaning up on the boards besting Valencuinas. Melo earning his money. Galloway pleasant surprise just getting minutes and scoring 5 points.

Beating the Raps will make a statement. 77% of GMs expect them to win the Atlantic so its a good test.

Kiyaman

Legend
I see I'm talking to myself so I'm going to log off.

I had to work late, miss game but caught a eye full on Knicks 60 ....
The Prigioni & Shump backcourt D gave the Knicks a 10 point lead in first-half.
The JR & Melo tandem gave the Raptors a 5 point lead early in the 3rd quarter.
The small-ball lineup of Lark, THJ, JR, Acy, Cole found away to tie the score at 68 in the 4th qt.

The last 6 minutes of the 4th qtr. with Little-Larkins running the show were entertaining, I expected more from JR & THJ in the final 2 minute stretch of the game.
I like Larkins, but he needs to b on the D.League team until February, because veterans like JR are not going to assist Larkins team-ball skills. JR had two chances to do a easy P n R with Stat, but JR selfishness hoisted up two miss shots, which made THJ do the same, which lead to Larkins dribble-dribble-dribble, and not setting-up a team-play to tie the score with less than a minute left in the game. Raptors stole the ball, and the win from Larkins.
Thanx to JR & THJ.
LETS GO KNICKS!!!!!!

I watched the game last night and enjoyed it immensely. A terrible stretch to start the 3rd quarter is what cost us the game. Dalembert continues to look great. Shump had a period in the 2nd quarter where he had 4 steals in like 2 minutes. Melo seemed to play well in the flow of the offense and put up big scoring numbers considering he didn't play much in the 2nd half. JR Smith looked awful. Prigioni looked like a guy who can help us win games now whereas Larkin looked like a guy who could be a part of our future. Man, I am ready to start the season. Let's see what we can do against Chicago on Wednesday.

tiger0330

Legend
JR better pick up his game Wed. play time and Triangle 101 is over. Time for him to earn his money.

The Raps played to win this game and we came close to pulling it out, couple of more buckets from the SGs and the Knicks would have won handily. Great improvement from the first preseason game and unlike last season we have set rotations going into the regular season. You have to be somewhat optimistic about the season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Good first half by the Knicks. Only 4 to's, they have more steals than to's and Dally is cleaning up on the boards besting Valencuinas. Melo earning his money. Galloway pleasant surprise just getting minutes and scoring 5 points.

Beating the Raps will make a statement. 77% of GMs expect them to win the Atlantic so its a good test.

The Knicks got something real good with the trio Daly, Shump, and Prigioni in a lineup, the trio of players didn't put up points but they took the Knicks to a 10 point lead with Stat & Melo in their lineup.

I been getting home late to watch a lot of Western Conference "Twin-Tower Teams" in the preseason games.
Duncan & Splitter .. Dirk & Chandler .. Perkin & Ibaka .. D.Howard & Jones .. Griffin & D'Andre .. Lopez & L'Aldridge .. Zach & Gasol ....The Western Conference teams are full of BIG frontlines.

Rookie coach Fisher better get out of the small-ball lineup mode .. if he expect to coach a .500 Knicks team.
The western conference teams frontcourt BIGS are no easy wins, plus our first game vs the Chicago Bulls 7 foot Twin-Towers "Noah & Pau" should give us an example of the Big-Ball western teams.

paris401

Starter
I tooo caught the knicks in 60.... theres good news... and ofcourse bad news...

1st the good... the I'Talian is still out.... and the bad.... depending on jr for anything means DOOM.. face it, he's just not a smart player...

and see in the paper today melo is a bit peeved about the revolving door of players.. every year theres a roster full of changes... says he's looking for 'stability'... this guy is a "DICK"... if u wanted stability, u would have signed elsewhere (maybe Chicago), but u opt'd for the GOLD... so your stability is that your pay-check ain't bouncing... someone should duck-tape his mouth closed...

Kiyaman

Legend
I watched the game last night and enjoyed it immensely. A terrible stretch to start the 3rd quarter is what cost us the game. Dalembert continues to look great. Shump had a period in the 2nd quarter where he had 4 steals in like 2 minutes. Melo seemed to play well in the flow of the offense and put up big scoring numbers considering he didn't play much in the 2nd half. JR Smith looked awful. Prigioni looked like a guy who can help us win games now whereas Larkin looked like a guy who could be a part of our future. Man, I am ready to start the season. Let's see what we can do against Chicago on Wednesday.

I notice Fisher did great calling time-outs every time the Raptors started to go on a run, i also notice Fisher flaws of not knowing how to substitute SF-Quincy Acy into the lineup. Acy need another year or two to bulk-up to play the 4, Acy is good on the switch to box-out Bigs, he cant outrebound Bigs. Fisher have to make up his mind and use Acy as Melo backup.
Little team chemistry was showed in the preseason games, but it was a 100% improvement from last season preseason games.

tiger0330

Legend
Woj reported a few days ago that the Knicks were going to pick up his 3rd year option but I saw the Knicks may not, to get more cap space. We should know soon if he's part of the future I think they have to decide by Oct 30.

He hasn't shown me enough other than yesterday so I wouldn't pick up his option.

Kiyaman

Legend
I tooo caught the knicks in 60.... theres good news... and ofcourse bad news...

1st the good... the I'Talian is still out.... and the bad.... depending on jr for anything means DOOM.. face it, he's just not a smart player...

and see in the paper today melo is a bit peeved about the revolving door of players.. every year theres a roster full of changes... says he's looking for 'stability'... this guy is a "DICK"... if u wanted stability, u would have signed elsewhere (maybe Chicago), but u opt'd for the GOLD... so your stability is that your pay-check ain't bouncing... someone should duck-tape his mouth closed...

When we resign Melo we had to take JRsmith name off the trading-block.
Phil Jackson, Fisher, and us Knicks-fans are stuck with Melo & JR throughout the 2014-15 season.

Tiger ...is right about a optimistic season.
Which makes the Knicks 2014-15 season interesting,
will Melo & JR habit of isolation interfere with Phil & Fish triangle-offense?
will Fisher find away to win with Melo & JR taking the majority of shots each game?
will Fisher let Melo go after the scoring title?
How many players will have equal playing time?
How well will the team succeed at the triangle offense?
How many Knicks will give a consistent all-star performance?

Kiyaman

Legend
Woj reported a few days ago that the Knicks were going to pick up his 3rd year option but I saw the Knicks may not, to get more cap space. We should know soon if he's part of the future I think they have to decide by Oct 30.

He hasn't shown me enough other than yesterday so I wouldn't pick up his option.

I would ... a young guy who defends multi-position well is worth a first-round pick.
u give the young player a reason to double his worth on Oct 30th.
Lets see how Phil Jackson decision-making effect Shumps future with the Knicks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya I was talking about Larkin not Shump. Shump is no doubt the best Knick defender but his shooting has to improve.

My bad, I just seen the article:

On Oct 16:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Oct 16
Yahoo Sources: Knicks reach decision on picking up third-year option for guard Shane Larkin.

Today:
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Knicks could be changing course on picking up Shane Larkin 2015-'16 option, now leaning toward the cap space, sources say. Deadline Friday.

I like Larkin on our D.League team to develop a running-system
Larkin is not ready to be a backup PG in the NBA, especially on a team with Melo & JR who never like any of their teams backup PG. LOL

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
The decision on Larkin probably factored into why he got so much playing time, Knicks needed to take a good look to see if they thought he was worth picking up his option. Putting 2 and 2 together, DFish when asked his opinion on Larkin said "he was a change of pace guy that could get into the lane", it wasn't a rave assessment of Larkin so I think DFish probably had something to do with the decision if the Knicks decide not to pick up his option.

drk3351

Rookie
Hey Knicks fans I made a video breaking down the triangle offense so far in the preseason. I take a look at the positives and the negatives of what I am seeing so far. Thanks for watching and let me know what you think.

Hey Knicks fans I made a video breaking down the triangle offense so far in the preseason. I take a look at the positives and the negatives of what I am seeing so far. Thanks for watching and let me know what you think.

Wow, that's a neat video. It looks like it took a lot of work to put it all together. Very cool.

tiger0330

Legend
Thank you for posting, you're either a coach or a serious student of the game.

One thing I can see about this triangle is that the less turnover you have in personnel the better its going to work, you have to know your teammates tendencies more than other offenses otherwise you get a ton of turnovers. Maybe the triangle will result in a more stable roster and end the Knicks revolving door of players.