Why the Knicks will draft Emmanuel Mudiay: 10 reasons

jimkcchief88

All Star
I'm starting warm up to the Mudiay idea...we've needed a true PG for a long time and 6'5" is intriguing. Larry Brown wanted Mudiay badly which should tell you something

tiger0330

Legend
I'm starting warm up to the Mudiay idea...we've needed a true PG for a long time and 6'5" is intriguing. Larry Brown wanted Mudiay badly which should tell you something
I think he'll be a good player but you have to wait a few years for him to develop.

His jumper, FT shooting need work and from his videos I don't think he's got the athletic upside of Westbrook and Wall. I wish he participated at the combine, I would have liked to have seen his numbers.

Broadway

All Star
I think he'll be a good player but you have to wait a few years for him to develop.

His jumper, FT shooting need work and from his videos I don't think he's got the athletic upside of Westbrook and Wall. I wish he participated at the combine, I would have liked to have seen his numbers.

Most players in this draft if they become something will take 3yrs to be a household name. Take for instance it took Kawhai Leonard and Jimmy Butler and Chris Middleton about 3yrs to make their fame in this league...players Winslow is being compared to. In the meantime Mudiay will be fine as far as athleticism goes.

A 1 week camp wasn't going to show much if at all. Very much overrated in many respects. If anything it may have hurt someone like Winslow who's measurements were underwhelming(as in he's not closer to 6'7"<------although it shouldn't)

Jerian Grant's teammate at Notre Dame Pat Connaughton had the highest vertical in Combine history 44inches I believe(and he's not shooting up the draft charts<-----although he has game)

Broadway

All Star
Boy Larry Brown is laying it on thick for us to grab Mudiay but he's also been talking with other teams drafting before about him. Here are some Twitter snippets...

If we select this kid Brown better be right. Actually it still will be Phil's burden if the kid turns out Bust because he's shaping the future for us going forward, nevertheless....LB you better be right

Two things that I like the most about Mudiay in that video: 1) Hearing him speak, he seems to say all the right things without even a touch of attitude. 2) The comment that you just don't find PGs with his size that have his skillset.

I'm at the point that if we don't trade away the #4 pick and the first 3 picks are some combination of Towns, Okafor, and Russell, then Mudiay is a no brainer. Taking anyone other than Mudiay 4th seems like overthinking it.

tiger0330

Legend
Screw Larry Brown, so what ever happened to you don't need a true PG to run the triangle particularly a ball dominant one like Mudiay?

Broadway

All Star
Screw Larry Brown, so what ever happened to you don't need a true PG to run the triangle particularly a ball dominant one like Mudiay?

I do believe this is a point guard's league and I think LB may be slighting Russell a tad here....but one thing LB knows is PGs/Gs. Mudiay may be ball dominant by triangle standards but he's a willing passer and has very good court vision. Russell may have the edge here but once again we just don't know until we see these guys in an NBA role.

http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/larry-brown-mudiay-to-work-out-for-lakers-sixers-knicks/

Maybe LB is clueless in other positioned areas of the game and his scouting eye can be viewed as something totally separate vs his ability to coach said talent.

Kiyaman

Legend

I never liked Larry Brown comments or views on a PG, especially after Sugar Ray Richardson, and when Brown came back to coach in the NBA .. Clippers/Spurs/Indiana/then Philly, poor PG-Mark Jackson had to put up with Larry Brown delusional comments on two teams before signing back to the Knicks.
Dont get me wrong Larry Brown winning came from Brown having high IQ college and NBA PG on the roster ..
If the 76ers has a choice between Russell or Mudiay with the 3rd pick, Larry Brown will be the 76ers consultant on the best pick.

I wouldn't put much stock in Larry Brown's comments at this point. The guy must be feeling for some twisted reason loyalty to Mudiay because he is selling him like crazy for a player who never played for him. The thing that is making me most suspicious about LB right now is he recently made a comment where he said he had his problems with Isiah, but Isiah has a "brilliant basketball mind". Really? Larry Brown thinks Isiah has a "brilliant basketball mind"? Did LB think that before Isiah became a part again of the franchise with the #4 pick and most likely landing spot for Mudiay? I doubt it.

tiger0330

Legend
Draft Express latest mock draft has the Knicks picking Winslow at 4 and Mudiay falls to 6. WCS goes at 5 to Orlando. Wonder why Mudiay fell 2 picks so close to the draft?

One thing I see in favor for Mudiay now is they have Winslow listed at 6'5" now instead of 6'7". 6'5" wings are a dime a dozen, 6'5" PG's are rare.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Draft Express latest mock draft has the Knicks picking Winslow at 4 and Mudiay falls to 6. WCS goes at 5 to Orlando. Wonder why Mudiay fell 2 picks so close to the draft?

Because DraftExpress wants hits like all other sites as we lead up to the draft. What bigger advantage to a site than to make a change to one of the bigger names. Some players have been working out heavy for teams while other prospects have yet to get underway. Cameron Payne is one of those prospects who's putting in work and supposedly has a promise inside the lottery.

A lot of other sites have updated and have the usual suspects still locked in their respective held down weekly positions. But don't expect this to remain much longer, in particular when some individual workouts get underway names will be fluid all over the place. On DX Frank K. had one of the bigger jumps as he went from 12 to 8 along with Stein. Does anyone really believe WCS is going 5th right now?

Mudiay's workouts will start soon first with Lakers, then with us, and Sixers last.

Towns appears to have pretty good workouts out in L.A. with McLean but what has to be kept in mind as always with all prospects.....they are in a gym doing calculated ISO drills, lots of non contact drills, and they are only going to show you segments of workouts in which they are performing those skills well. And those who are running the workouts have established relationships with agencies who are representing these prospects, there are some hidden agendas never forget this.

Also absent in most workout videos is what they're doing on the defensive side of the ball. They never showcase a player working on what could be a weakness such as in the Russell videos. He's a natural lefty so if I'm scouting his workouts I want to know everything he does well GOING RIGHT. Matter of fact I think I only saw one missed jumper in both videos which was a Towns rim out. Come on not realistic at all to think they are this good and will step on an NBA court against guys who have been doing this longer than them against contemporaries. From what is shown they look solid though and good for them.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/CAA-Workout-Outtakes-RussellTownsCauley-Stein-Jumpers-5048

I almost guarantee top 5 picks will be Okafor, Towns, Russell, Mudiay, and Porzingis. Winslow breaking into the top 5 seems ludicrous to me at this point giving the consensus internet reports about this being a 5 elite prospect draft. We are the team most likely to screw this up if we don't trade down, but to take either Winslow or WCS ahead of either Mudiay or Porzingis seems like an almost unforgivable mistake at this point.

tiger0330

Legend
I almost guarantee top 5 picks will be Okafor, Towns, Russell, Mudiay, and Porzingis. Winslow breaking into the top 5 seems ludicrous to me at this point giving the consensus internet reports about this being a 5 elite prospect draft. We are the team most likely to screw this up if we don't trade down, but to take either Winslow or WCS ahead of either Mudiay or Porzingis seems like an almost unforgivable mistake at this point.
I guarantee the Knicks don't take Porzingis after Bargnani, Weis and to a lesser extent Gallo. The kid also reminds me of Darko Milicic, he may be more like Dirk but the Knicks will avoid him after their experiences with Euro big men.

I guarantee the Knicks don't take Porzingis after Bargnani, Weis and to a lesser extent Gallo. The kid also reminds me of Darko Milicic, he may be more like Dirk but the Knicks will avoid him after their experiences with Euro big men.

You're probably right. I think most likely draft picks at this point are Minny takes Okafor, Lakers get Towns, Sixers take Russell, Knicks take Mudiay, and Orlando grabs Porzingis. Something just tells me this is how the draft plays out.

tiger0330

Legend
You're probably right. I think most likely draft picks at this point are Minny takes Okafor, Lakers get Towns, Sixers take Russell, Knicks take Mudiay, and Orlando grabs Porzingis. Something just tells me this is how the draft plays out.
Orlando already has their Euro big man and with Tobias Harris a restricted FA I would be looking to draft a wing if I were them, Winslow might go to them if the Knicks pass on him for Mudiay.

Draft Express saying the Knicks will pick Winslow may be rumors they have heard about the Knicks liking Winslow more than Mudiay, thus him dropping to 6.

Orlando already has their Euro big man and with Tobias Harris a restricted FA I would be looking to draft a wing if I were them, Winslow might go to them if the Knicks pass on him for Mudiay.

Draft Express saying the Knicks will pick Winslow may be rumors they have heard about the Knicks liking Winslow more than Mudiay, thus him dropping to 6.

I may be way off base, but I keep reading that Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, and Porzingis are regarded as a clear elite 5, possible future stars in this draft. We seem to be the only team where reports keep hinting that we are going off-script, which may be a reflection of a lacking in our ability to scout talent or stubbornness towards drafting a triangle player.

I can easily see either the Knicks or Magic picking Winslow, but they are making that pick in error if the consensus reports on the discrepancy in talent between the 5 I listed above and everyone else are true.

Broadway

All Star
I may be way off base, but I keep reading that Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, and Porzingis are regarded as a clear elite 5, possible future stars in this draft. We seem to be the only team where reports keep hinting that we are going off-script, which may be a reflection of a lacking in our ability to scout talent or stubbornness towards drafting a triangle player.

I can easily see either the Knicks or Magic picking Winslow, but they are making that pick in error if the consensus reports on the discrepancy in talent between the 5 I listed above and everyone else are true.

Yeah just this week if you include Tig's recent post-drop Knicks are drafting WCS-Lyles-Winslow. Listen it really isn't this confusing and at this point not sure if Knicks exactly who they want. We are sitting at a high enough position where we should know who we want but if confused then most certainly trade down.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Its always hard to calculate where the top 10 draft picks will land ....

1) Minny lookin for a bigman
2) Lakers lookin for a bigman
3) Philly lookin for a PG
4) Knicks are just looking
5) Orlando lookin for Winslow
6) Kings lookin for a bigman
7) Denver lookin for a bigman or SG
8) Detroit is not looking for a center
9) Hornets looking for a bigman/center
10) Miami looking for a Bigman