Why the Knicks will draft Emmanuel Mudiay: 10 reasons

Wargames

Starter
There is a chance Orlando takes henzonja, they need shooting now and will definitely need it if Harris leaves which is a real possibility. . The only real wild card in that equation is is they got skiles to be HC and he likes defense. He might go after WCS (and they try to move vucevic for another asset) or take winslow with the hopes his 3 pt shot can develop into something more and they can sub him in for Harris at the 3. But general basketball logic says they would take Henzonja or maybe Stanley Johnson because they just need outside shooting that badly.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
There is a chance Orlando takes henzonja, they need shooting now and will definitely need it if Harris leaves which is a real possibility. . The only real wild card in that equation is is they got skiles to be HC and he likes defense. He might go after WCS (and they try to move vucevic for another asset) or take winslow with the hopes his 3 pt shot can develop into something more and they can sub him in for Harris at the 3. But general basketball logic says they would take Henzonja or maybe Stanley Johnson because they just need outside shooting that badly.

If Winslow is on the board Orlando is taking him. They will use free agency to beef up front court

Payton/Oladipo
Oladipo/Winslow/Fournier(<---maybe trade bait)
Harris/Harkless
Gordon/Frye/free agent
Vucevic/free agent

I get the rationale for why someone other than Okafor, Towns, Russell, Mudiay, and Porzingis will be a top 5 pick, but all the buzz right now is about how the top 3 picking teams want a good long look at Mudiay and Porzingis as possibly grabbing them as a surprise top 3 pick. Winslow, WCS, and anyone other than the 5 prospects above have no buzz like that right now. So, to say that Mudiay and Porzingis won't be the logical 4th and 5th picks seems crazy given that there is an actual possibility that either of them could be taken top 3 instead. Just my two cents.

tiger0330

Legend
I get the rationale for why someone other than Okafor, Towns, Russell, Mudiay, and Porzingis will be a top 5 pick, but all the buzz right now is about how the top 3 picking teams want a good long look at Mudiay and Porzingis as possibly grabbing them as a surprise top 3 pick. Winslow, WCS, and anyone other than the 5 prospects above have no buzz like that right now. So, to say that Mudiay and Porzingis won't be the logical 4th and 5th picks seems crazy given that there is an actual possibility that either of them could be taken top 3 instead. Just my two cents.
That would be great for the Knicks if one of the teams before us took a dark horse like Porzingis as their top pick, likely Okafor would fall to us if a "dark horse" big like WCS or Porzingis went to one of the top 3 teams. It would be like getting the number 1 picking in the 4th spot since Okafor was the top pick on so many mock drafts.

Broadway

All Star

Yeah Minnesota just through their name in the hat, to have Mudiay come work out for them. The reason Porzingis won't go that high because he's clearly a project. Not someone that has no chance to fulfill his potential but someone all teams Top 5 will not want to experiment on because they are either in GET BETTER NOW MODE or already have enough projects on the skillet.

Prozingis' body clearly isn't NBA ready right now, although some fans bodies are(as in my body is ready for the other namesakes)....lol

Last edited:
That would be great for the Knicks if one of the teams before us took a dark horse like Porzingis as their top pick, likely Okafor would fall to us if a "dark horse" big like WCS or Porzingis went to one of the top 3 teams. It would be like getting the number 1 picking in the 4th spot since Okafor was the top pick on so many mock drafts.

In theory, I totally agree. The only thing is I'm starting to wonder if Mudiay and Porzingis aren't possibly the two best prospects in the draft. The only reason we're not ecstatic about the chance at either of the two of them is because of the stupid triangle offense fit concern.

Mudiay - incredibly athletic PG who attacks the basket and facilitates teammates like crazy, also a real high character kid. We don't want him potentially because he needs an outside jump shot for the triangle.

Porzingis - a legit 7 footer with a great jump shot whose range extends past the 3 point line. Plays high energy defense, protects the rim, and actually has the athleticism to guard the pick and roll (unlike Okafor). Seems like a smart kid and speaks perfect English. We won't want him because in the triangle offense he would have to play center and just stand at the free throw line looking to pass to a cutter.

I'd be thrilled with Towns, Okafor, or Russell, and don't get me wrong, I still think those guys go 1, 2, and 3. But, the only other lottery tickets in this draft are Mudiay and Porzingis in my mind and it sounds like the Knicks may do everything in their power to avoid getting either of those 2 guys. The Magic similarly avoiding them is less of my concern.

Yeah Minnesota just through their name in the hat, to have Mudiay come work out for them. The reason Porzingis won't go that high because he's clearly a project. Not someone that has no chance to fulfill his potential but someone all teams Top 5 will not want to experiment on because they are either in GET BETTER NOW MODE or already have enough projects on the skillet.

Prozingis' body clearly isn't NBA ready right now, although some fans bodies are(as in my body is ready for the other nakesakes)....lol

Yeah, the body type comparison between Towns, Okafor, and Porzingis is interesting. They're all about 6'11" to 7 foot, but Porzingis weighs only about 230, which is probably why he is so quick for his height, but clearly not enough to bang in the NBA. Okafor weighs 270 and is a beast in the low post, but can't move well enough to play good pick and roll defense. Towns is right there at the perfect 255 give or take. Big enough to bang, slim enough to move.

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, the body type comparison between Towns, Okafor, and Porzingis is interesting. They're all about 6'11" to 7 foot, but Porzingis weighs only about 230, which is probably why he is so quick for his height, but clearly not enough to bang in the NBA. Okafor weighs 270 and is a beast in the low post, but can't move well enough to play good pick and roll defense. Towns is right there at the perfect 255 give or take. Big enough to bang, slim enough to move.

Supposedly Oak has lost some weight and has kept a low profile. I would not sell Hezonja short of becoming an absolute stud in this league, working through the immaturity. He kinda reminds me of a bigger more athletic Draz Petro. David Aldridge has him ranked as the best Shooting Guard prospect entering the league.

Here's a snippet to his rankings which I'm going to read more up on

http://www.nba.com/news/features/da...dge-big-board-shooting-guards-2015-nba-draft/

Last Valentine's Day evening, Minnesota Timberwolves rookie Zach LaVinewowed the crowd at Barclays Center and the millions of people watching theSprite Slam Dunk Contest at home with a series of aerobatic wonders.

The next day, the story goes, Mario Hezonja did every single one of LaVine's dunks during his FC Barcelona team's practice.

"Maybe not as high," a source said, "but he did them."

The NBA community is thus more than intrigued by Hezonja, who comes off the bench for Barcelona, but who will also almost certainly be a Lottery pick in the Draft. At somewhere between 6-6 and 6-8, and 218 pounds, Hezonja has the size, the game and the demeanor to likely be a very successful wing player in the States when he makes the jump.

I think Chad Ford is currently reporting Nuggets may be looking at Winslow hard. It's going to be interesting to see who falls, because teams 7-12 are going to end up with a gem no matter how this draft shakes out.

We need another pick so bad

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Its always hard to calculate where the top 10 draft picks will land ....

1) Minny lookin for a bigman
2) Lakers lookin for a bigman
3) Philly lookin for a PG
4) Knicks are just looking
5) Orlando lookin for Winslow
6) Kings lookin for a bigman
7) Denver lookin for a bigman or SG
8) Detroit is not looking for a center
9) Hornets looking for a bigman/center
10) Miami looking for a Bigman

Lakers have Jordan Clarkson but they are Def looking for a PG...they will either draft a PG or get Rondo in free agency (more likely getting rondo).

Kings are more likely to draft a PG than a big since they have cousins

Word is hornets are looking for a better wing player to replace Stephenson...maybe Devin Booker

Miami already has Bosh and Whiteside...and with the injury prone Wade playing or gone in free agency...Heat would be wise to draft a shooting guard for the future

Well, Larry Brown has officially laid down the gauntlet for PJ today on ESPN radio. LB said that he thinks PJ is 'smart enough' to take Mudiay if he 'falls' to #4. In other words, the Knicks will be 'lucky' for Mudiay to be available at #4 and it would be stupid to pass on him if he is available at #4. Your move, Phil Jackson.

Broadway

All Star
I'm going to start dropping some videos in the "Official 2015 Draft Thread"....which really all discussions about the draft should take place there.

And after watching some of these videos tell me what any of you see different or separates one from others.

mafra

Legend
Well, Larry Brown has officially laid down the gauntlet for PJ today on ESPN radio. LB said that he thinks PJ is 'smart enough' to take Mudiay if he 'falls' to #4. In other words, the Knicks will be 'lucky' for Mudiay to be available at #4 and it would be stupid to pass on him if he is available at #4. Your move, Phil Jackson.

I find all the wavering and prognosticating hilarious. For those down on Mudiay, it's simp,y because you do not know the young man. He was the #2 recruit last year. He's big for his position, is a 2-way player, excellent penetrator, passer, rebounder, defender, and is arguably the top PG in this draft (in a PG driven league).

Marbury, Jerry West... Are now praising him. Word is, Minny has reached out and has pitched him on playing there, with Wiggins and the slam-dunk king (and that roster has plenty of size, and may feel PG a better fit than another PF/C)...

Lakers are enamored; Clarkson-Mudiay to counter GSW's splash brothers...

As of right now, Mudiay has 2 workouts scheduled... Minny amd LA. He might not make it beyond top 2 picks...

in other words, Knicks still have a shot at Okafor. If Minny grabs Mudiay, Towns and Russell go to LA and Phi, and nyK finally catch a gift and will get Okafor.

Broadway

All Star
I find all the wavering and prognosticating hilarious. For those down on Mudiay, it's simp,y because you do not know the young man. He was the #2 recruit last year. He's big for his position, is a 2-way player, excellent penetrator, passer, rebounder, defender, and is arguably the top PG in this draft (in a PG driven league).

Marbury, Jerry West... Are now praising him. Word is, Minny has reached out and has pitched him on playing there, with Wiggins and the slam-dunk king (and that roster has plenty of size, and may feel PG a better fit than another PF/C)...

As of right now, Mudiay has 2 workouts scheduled... Minny amd LA. He might not make it beyond top 2 picks...

in other words, Knicks still have a shot at Okafor. If Minny grabs Mudiay, Towns and Russell go to LA and Phi, and nyK finally catch a gift and will get Okafor.

Actually he has 4(Lakers, Knicks, Philly, Sota<------who through their name in last). Lakers first up(far as I know). Ours starting Monday confirmed via New York Post and ESPN

mafra

Legend
Actually he has 4(Lakers, Knicks, Philly, Sota<------who through their name in last). Lakers first up(far as I know). Ours starting Monday confirmed via New York Post and ESPN

I think the Lakers want Towns, and Philly covets Russell... Minny, obviously, holds the keys here. If they gran Towns, it's not crazy to see LAK grab Mudiay (At west's behest, and bc Phil's gal helps out her hubby). If Minny takes Okafor, NYK get screwed, but if they take Mudiay... Hip-hip horray!

A case can be made that Mudiay is the better fit for their roster. They have more young, talented bigs than guards... But, if they dont believe in those young guys, or simply feel Okafor is by far the best prospect.... Then.... Gulp.

Mudiay
Lavine
Wiggins
Pekovik
Deng

Martin (6th man), Muhammed, Bennet, Payne, Hamilton, Hummel, Budinger

Plentybof teams could use a PG, so they could trade Rubio... Or just keep him and bring Mudiay along slowly.

also interested is Phil's gal. She won't help NYk at lakers expense, but if all things are eqaula nd sway knt he fence... Maybe a nudge might be for best interest of both clubs.

mafra

Legend
And this is a copycat league... With GSW... Everyone wants their version of splash brothers...mudiay-lavine might be attractive enough.

Broadway

All Star
I think the Lakers want Towns, and Philly covets Russell... Minny, obviously, holds the keys here. If they gran Towns, it's not crazy to see LAK grab Mudiay (At west's behest, and bc Phil's gal helps out her hubby). If Minny takes Okafor, NYK get screwed, but if they take Mudiay... Hip-hip horray!

A case can be made that Mudiay is the better fit for their roster. They have more young, talented bigs than guards... But, if they dont believe in those young guys, or simply feel Okafor is by far the best prospect.... Then.... Gulp.

Mudiay
Lavine
Wiggins
Pekovik
Deng

Martin (6th man), Muhammed, Bennet, Payne, Hamilton, Hummel, Budinger

Plentybof teams could use a PG, so they could trade Rubio... Or just keep him and bring Mudiay along slowly.

also interested is Phil's gal. She won't help NYk at lakers expense, but if all things are eqaula nd sway knt he fence... Maybe a nudge might be for best interest of both clubs.

Naaaahhhhh Phil's chick is the very reason we had to offer Melo a Max deal because the Lakers were the only team Melo visited that offered him their full max. She's not helping him do jack squat in the draft.

Mudiay is working out in L.A. as we speak.

tiger0330

Legend

I was never sold on Rubio and thought it was a mistake for them to sign him to his last long term deal, Mudiay could be his replacement.

The Wolves could use Okafor/Towns to pair with Pekovic and Dieng so I still expect that either of those two would go to them but that would be a god send, (Phil Jackson's words) for the Knicks if two guards go in the top 3 and Okafor falls to us.

Broadway

All Star
Yep as expected Mudiay is clanking jumpers all over the place in his workout thus far in L.A.

and who cares if he can do this, so what! But can he shoot that's all that matters

mafra

Legend
If there were no rules... And HS players could be drafted... Mudiay is taken ahead of Towns and Russell last year, and nobody even raises an eyebrow. The kid us so young... He'll improve his shot. What I like most about this kid: he loves basketball. He also has a great attitude.

you know what some Duke players said about Okafor? That dude loves to sleep... Not saying he doesn't love the game, but know this... Okafor will not work as hard as Mudiay to be GREAT. I would worry more about Okafor's work ethic and desire than I would worry about Mudiay's jump shot...

Towns is ranked so high based on what he potentially could be... He didnt prove in college he could shoot with range... Scouts just assume that bc he could some in HS.

Russell isnt all that athletic nor is he the better defender (than Mudiay).

There are risks across the board... Okafor and Russell are safer bets, bc they do gave viable nba skills on offense... But Mudiay and towns have higher ceilings. Pirzingis highest ceiling of all, but a greater risk. Nobody should be taken ahead of these five prospects.