Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Washington Wizars 7:30 10/13/2017 [Preseason Game #5]

tiger0330

Legend
Damn! what was i thinking! I thought coach Hornacek would want to win at least the final preseason game ........especially having two of the Wizards starters DNP Wall n Morris
Horn just putting in guys to get them minutes like Kornet and Kuz showed he wasn't serious about winning this one. Rambis in his half time interview was setting the expectation for Knicks fans to get used to losing by saying they're not going to be a well oiled machine with all these new guys with just a few weeks of training camp. Going to be an ongoing process taken into the regular season, we heard that last year and they never got their act together.

and1

Rotation player
i think horn saw enough with those first 3 quarters. it was nice to see them come back from a point where it looked like the game was going to get away from them.
kuz looked like he needed to shake off some cobwebs, but he did some nice things while he was out there. i really hope they don't trade the Q. he made an impact as soon as he got in the game and he does that often.
but they really have to figure out their PG situation, obviously. maybe nitty is better than people are assuming he'll be, but i seriously doubt horns is going to start him right away. sessions and jack just do not look aggressive enough.

and1

Rotation player
If I'm Billy Donovan, I give the ball to Russ all game and say use and abuse the Knicks PGs. That's going to be an ugly blowout.

the best chance we have at winning that game is if the thunder do what the spurs do with us at least once every season... assume we're going to be completely whack and we catch them off guard. but i seriously doubt that's going to happen. just call it a hunch :smokin:

tiger0330

Legend
I have to agree with Wally about Timmy. I like what I saw of him in the pre-season, he really is trying to prove he's worth that contract. Shooting, leadership and improved his D from when he was here last.

tiger0330

Legend
Hahn's starters in OKC
Sessions
THJ
Dougie
KP
WHG

Wally's starters
Sessions
THJ
Dougie
KP
Kanter

Hahn says you are team building with the young players, KP and WHG have chemistry being close friends and WHG can cover KP lack of rebounding and Kanter is proven as a 6th man type of player coming off the bench. Wally says start Kanter, great pre-season, can score the ball better than any of our 5's, has been a backup on good teams but deserves a shot as the starter on a bad team.

I'm with Wally and I think Horn is too given how much he played Kanter as the starter in the pre-season and his quote that KP and Kanter are the best fit out there.

Kiyaman

Legend
I have to agree with Wally about Timmy. I like what I saw of him in the pre-season, he really is trying to prove he's worth that contract. Shooting, leadership and improved his D from when he was here last.

I like the screaming leadership THJ consistently showed to keep team-ballin .. it remind me of his Pops in Miami n GSW TMC

Kiyaman

Legend
Hahn's starters in OKC
Sessions
THJ
Dougie
KP
WHG

Wally's starters
Sessions
THJ
Dougie
KP
Kanter

Hahn says you are team building with the young players, KP and WHG have chemistry being close friends and WHG can cover KP lack of rebounding and Kanter is proven as a 6th man type of player coming off the bench. Wally says start Kanter, great pre-season, can score the ball better than any of our 5's, has been a backup on good teams but deserves a shot as the starter on a bad team.

I'm with Wally and I think Horn is too given how much he played Kanter as the starter in the pre-season and his quote that KP and Kanter are the best fit out there.

You cant put KP n Beasley in the same lineup .. that's called TANKING!

tiger0330

Legend
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 26

dk7th

Benchwarmer
Just more evidence Baker is no PG. Got trapped and couldn't get the ball over mid-court for an 8 sec. You almost never see a PG with a good handle doing that.

5 assists, pretty darn good defense and a +8 while he was out there. he's doing something right with the minutes he is given.

tiger0330

Legend
5 assists, pretty darn good defense and a +8 while he was out there. he's doing something right with the minutes he is given.
Can't argue about his hustle, that play in his last game where he chased down a ball and went to the deck to get it and passed the ball to a trailing Kanter while he was on the floor for the dunk was an example of that. He shot 26pct from beyond the arc last season and he's 3-12 this pre-season. Hustle only takes you so far, if he doesn't start shooting better, this will be the last NBA contract he signs.

mafra

Legend
The final piece in this rebuild is a top 5 pick this upcoming draft. I see no reason to play vets much -- Lee, Sessions, Noah.

Just go with Baker, THJr, Beasley, KP, WHG as starters with Ntikilina, Dotson, Dougie, Kanter, KOQ as second unit.

17 wins will be what the doctor ordered. Give kids plenty of burn to get acclimated with each other.... pressure burst pipes or makes diamonds.

Give Kanter and MB chance to prove they have a future here... or up their trade value....

While I want to see a miracle and see this team win some games... I also understand the true way to get this right is to add 1 more high lottery pick.

dk7th

Benchwarmer
Can't argue about his hustle, that play in his last game where he chased down a ball and went to the deck to get it and passed the ball to a trailing Kanter while he was on the floor for the dunk was an example of that. He shot 26pct from beyond the arc last season and he's 3-12 this pre-season. Hustle only takes you so far, if he doesn't start shooting better, this will be the last NBA contract he signs.

i agree. the shooting has to come. he was an excellent shooter in college i believe.

dk7th

Benchwarmer
My revised starting five:

Frank-- he has to play with the first unit a majority of his minutes just like KP did his rookie year
THJ-- he's much improved in every facet and will emerge as a leader of this team if KP and Frank don't
McDermott-- better than advertised and you live with his sketchy defense because he stretches the floor
KP
WHG-- he has to play with the first unit until he proves a liability

Bench looks very deep and could make a real impact:

Baker
O'Quinn
Kanter
Lee
Thomas

Yes Hornacek should go ten deep during a rebuilding year.

Outliers: Beasley, Kuzminskas, Sessions, etc.

Broadway

All Star
Hahn's starters in OKC
Sessions
THJ
Dougie
KP
WHG

Wally's starters
Sessions
THJ
Dougie
KP
Kanter

I like Hahn's starters and I think that's who we'll go with. I said early Doug should definitely get Lee's spot from last yr.

Now the bench gets tricky but I think Kanter is more a bench high usage player and probably should be paired with Beasley for the spark off the bench. I think we can get away going a little smaller too. I'd like to see a bench rotation of...

Knits
Dotson
Lee
Beasley
Kanter

mafra

Legend
I kind of like having Kanter and MB run the s cons unit too. Who cares about getting stops... let them come in and score.

Start Baker, THJr, Dougie,KP and WHG.

Broadway

All Star
I kind of like having Kanter and MB run the s cons unit too. Who cares about getting stops... let them come in and score.

Start Baker, THJr, Dougie,KP and WHG.

Completely forgot about Baker...with that said Maf I can go with the SL you suggested. I want the kids playing, the vets are going to have to pressure them to lose their job.

Last edited: