The Preseason Game Thread on Knicks vs Cavs Wed & Friday

Kiyaman

Legend
Knox is on fire... drains a 3 to give NyK a 95-93 lead.

IQ, RJ, Knox, Toppin, MRob making things happen.

I care again...

Knox decent performance in the 4th qtr. tonight did not impress me, because i had to watch a sorry performance the first 3 quarters on offense and defense.
When the regular season start .. my personal rotation would have DSJ as the 15th man, Knox as the 14th man, and Bullock as the 13th man in the game rotation (Garbage Time) !!!

Broadway

All Star
Amen. We heard so much about his growth this summer and how he was a WIP and how year 3 should be the year...

After all, that’s all this season should be about. Seeing if the kids sink or swim. Playing EP and Bullock does nothing for me.

It’s clear that IQ, RJ, Knox, Toppin, Mitch is the Bedrock 5. Sprinkle in Burks, Rivers, Noel as depth... this 8 plus Randle should be the primary rotation.

DSJ and Frank should get their chances early, but as soon as they prove what the are... move on to IQ and wash your hands.

But, I would prefer watching DSJ and Frank flop the first 2 months, so we gain knowledge. Maybe a miracle happens and they prove their worth.... we won’t know this tho if they are given inconsistent role and Bullock plays ahead of them.

I would shift RJ to second unit, and keeps his together. They get 2nd and 4th Q. Let the “vets” and DSJ, Frank get the 1st and 3rd...
Then evaluate based on performance.

If Knits can’t stay healthy and continues to have the same nagging injuries we can’t evaluate him...not to mention how many players the organization has to evaluate in general. He’s been disappointing through and through

Seems like Thibs and the org is giving DSJ a fair shake to prove he’s worth his salt. Shaky running the point at times but a stat line like tonight with worthy contribution needs to be duplicated every game 8pts/4ast/5stls/2blks

DSJ fwiw has probably been the most active defender on the team along with Robs so far in PS play...contributing more than Porzingis at the moment LOL

But if IQ can ball out the gate like tonight he can easily take any guards minutes

Agree what was the point of resigning Payton and Bullock...just pick one and wish the other the best. I would’ve let them both go if we were set on finding replacements like Rivers and Burks

But man am I glad we drafted RJ. Just quietly and professionally gets it done. I guess I shouldn’t sell short his ability to improve...appears he has already. He’s our best player

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I did notice that DSJ has a few steals and was sweating.... he was certainly efforting.

It?s why it makes no sense playing EP and Bullock. They don?t impact winning. If we could start them and that means we make a playoff run... great. But they aren?t those type of players...

So, give me DSJ and Frank along with the 5 that closed the game. Sprinkle in Noel, Rivers, and Burks (for those 3 could be quality backups on a decent team). This is the team we should be banking equity with.

And, yes! RJ and IQ are going to be molded by Thibs. Toppin, Knox, and MRob have a chance but those 2 are going to be a major part of our future!

mafra

Legend
?I thought Quick was terrific ? ball pressure, the fact that he can shoot the way he can, it opens up the floor,?? Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said.

His 3 of 11 shooting ledger didn?t tell the tale of his effectiveness. Normally a solid 3-point shooter, he was 1 of 6 from beyond the arc but teams have to respect him, unlike, say, starting point guard Elfrid Payton.

The bigger story was how Quickley fearlessly runs the offense that flowed majestically during that 34-13 fourth quarter.

?I?ve been a point guard all my life. I feel I?m versatile playing off the ball, on the ball,? Quickley said. ?I feel like, coming in, I was trying to tell all the NBA teams that I?m somebody who just happened to play off the ball at Kentucky that one year, my sophomore year. I can really do both. And I?m glad the Knicks picked me. I?m glad to be here. The fans are great. So I just feel like I can really do both.??

NY Post

Pricey

Rotation player
Im so pissed. Cashed out on the Knicks at 3/4 time and it was my last leg for half pay out and then they do that, Sickening.
RJ gonna be a beast im telling you and there is something about Quick

tiger0330

Legend
Like htr10 was saying, we made that comeback against guys named Randolph, Wade and Mooney not Love, Drum and Sexton so nothing to get excited about. IQ didn't shoot that great which I'd rather see in a loss if the kid went 4-6 from deep than 1-6, he did show energy and leadership clapping his hands saying lets go. He's going to put pressure on DSJ for that backup PG spot, Thibs looks like he likes Nits at the 2 guard and not the point. DSJ had a good outing on both sides of the ball so I know he's feeling the heat of his job being on the line.

mafra

Legend
Of course it?s something to get excited about. Kids building muscle memory... DSJ and Knox got a confidence boost and the rook ran the floor...

Not like we had Rivers, Burks, Randle out there.

NYK so bad that anytime they win it?s a good thing.

Doesn?t mean we are playoff bound... but, it wasn?t a fake comeback that fell short. We watched a lineup of 20-22 year-olds finish a game well...

28 assists to 13 turnovers a great thing.

tiger0330

Legend
Bolden, Wade, Randolph, Mooney a total of a combined 17 NBA games played along with DD. I’d expect guys like DSJ, KK, RJ MRob along with our rooks to outplay those guys. No I’m not getting excited about that esp after that 3rd qtr where you would expect the boys were due a run in the 4th. Cavs are also a bottom feeder, so beating them in the preseason after being down double digits to them late in the 3rd means nothing and says nothing about this …team.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks scored 41 in the 1st. IQ got the start and is the leading scorer with 11 hittimg 2 long balls. Today seems to be an audition for the guys that haven't played with Harper, Pinson and Iggy getting burn tonight. Harper has looked legit but he's got to overcome his 5'11" height but Clyde asked is he 5'7" or 5'9" so he might not be a legit 5'11".

tiger0330

Legend
He might be a rook but off these last 2 games I could Thibs saying I've got nothing to lose by starting IQ over Payton for game 1.

Been waiting for the Knicks to pick up a lottery talent with a late round or second rounder, IQ might be that guy.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks scored 41 in the 1st. IQ got the start and is the leading scorer with 11 hittimg 2 long balls. Today seems to be an audition for the guys that haven't played with Harper, Pinson and Iggy getting burn tonight. Harper has looked legit but he's got to overcome his 5'11" height but Clyde asked is he 5'7" or 5'9" so he might not be a legit 5'11".

HALFTIME .... Knicks 72 - Cavs 35
The Knicks has been able to run an uptempo offense to out score the the Drummondless-Cavs team. MitchRob's outstanding defense has 10 reb, 4 blks, and 6 pts at halftime. The Payton, DSJ, and Frank did not play in the first half, the rookie Quickley started/and lead the game as the Knicks PG-playmaker for 18 minute showing a win-win performance in the first-half.

Kiyaman

Legend
He might be a rook but off these last 2 games I could Thibs saying I've got nothing to lose by starting IQ over Payton for game 1.

Been waiting for the Knicks to pick up a lottery talent with a late round or second rounder, IQ might be that guy.

Hell NO!
Let IQ Dynamic performance come off the bench till midseason !!!

tiger0330

Legend

Kenny just asked Clyde who he would start opening day, Clyde said he wouldn't want to put that kind of pressure on the kid and would start EP. F### that, the kid has heart I'd start the kid.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kenny just asked Clyde who he would start opening day, Clyde said he wouldn't want to put that kind of pressure on the kid and would start EP. F### that, the kid has heart I'd start the kid.

I have to agree with Clyde.
However, if IQ keep laying the way he's doing tonite, IQ would deserve 30 min per game in the regular season.