i think its safe to say that this is the most important offseason in knicks history.

ANU

Starter
so donnie needs to do all he can to fill those spots of need this team has with studs.i think skinny eddy could be in san antonio(as some poster said in one of the more recent threads) by the all star break if all goes well.so I'm not to worried about the guy.the only 2010 free agent i want on this team is lebron james(cause it wouldn't feel right if they won a championship with 2 super hired guns).we need young guys that'll be here long enough for lebron to think "dynasty", and we need those young guys to prove their worth this season with a playoff run.

those are the reasons i wouldn't be against taking baron davis for the sake of getting blake griffin.this is why i'd trade lee to the pistons for the 15(if its blair or lawson)and this is why I'd like donnie to buy the fith pick from te wizards for curry.

trade harrington+3 mill in cash for baron davis+pick

cutino mobley+3mill for etan thomas and mike james+5th pick

s&t lee to detroit for the kwame lol brown, and amir johnson+15 pick
(lawson or blair, or whoever they draft)

salary cap for next year
baron davis 12,150,000
kwame brown 4,100,000(expires after this season)
amir johnson 3,666,666(expires after this season)
etan thomas 7,350,000 (expires after this season)
mike james 6,466,600 (expires after this season)
quintin richardson 9,352,500(expires after the season)
larry hughes 13,655,268 (expires after this season)
eddy curry 10,500,423
jared jefrries 6,466,600
chris duhon 6,031,800(expires after this season)
danilo gallinari 3,089,040
wilson chandler 1,255,440
blake griffin 4,000,000( since the salary cap may go down to 57.3 million , i'd imagine that rookie salaries would as well.)
curry 3,000,000
derozan 2,500,000
15 pick 1,000,000 give or take

that's an estimate of about $94,000,000 give or take,for the 2009-2010 season. with $ 47,322,834 coming off the books for 2010-2011, aka the summer of lebron with around $38,000,000 on the cap.
the salary cap was set at 58.68 million this past season, and it's reported that it MAY drop to 57.3 million for this upcoming season
that's a little under 20 mill in cap space with that salary cap.IF JEFFRIES AND CURRY GET SENT PACKING, that's another 17 mill in caps space, to a total 37 mill in cap space, where we'd get lebron for a 3 year 23 mill? contract?

the roster COULD LOOK LIKE THIS
davis/curry
james/derozan
gallinari/derozan
chandler/blair?
griffin
15 pick(blair ideally)

we'd need to sign a back up c for cheap.

obviously, we need a couple more players than A 2 VETERANS OR 3
(it depends what kinda contract lebron gets)to be more than formidable, and alot of this hinges on alot dificult scenarios, but this is new york.you gotta shoot for shit like this.or atleast try.

this was horrible to write by the way.:gony:

this team doesn't make something happen this offseason, get to the playoffs next season, and show some potential for the future 2010 might not mean shit.lebron wants a championship.and he learned he can't do it all on his own.

anybody who has any crazy ass realistically possible scenarios post them if you'd liek too.

EDIT: I FORGOT THE 5TH, AND 8TH PICKS.

edit again.i ****ed up the math a bit.lol.

Last edited:

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
trade harrington+3 mill in cash for baron davis+pick

cutino mobley+3mill for etan thomas and mike james+5th pick

Yo, this is where i stopped reading.

Why the hell would HARRINGTON be traded for GRIFFIN AND B DAVIS????
The Clippers aren't that dumb.

This is the most unrealistic thing i've seen here. We have a slim chance of trading for ONE top 5 pick, but TWO?

Come on man.

ANU

Starter
Yo, this is where i stopped reading.

Why the hell would HARRINGTON be traded for GRIFFIN AND B DAVIS????
The Clippers aren't that dumb.

This is the most unrealistic thing i've seen here. We have a slim chance of trading for ONE top 5 pick, but TWO?

Come on man.
both can be done because of MONEY, it saves the clippers about 16 mill on the cap after next season.and yes.the clippers are that "dumb".

the mobley trade saves washington approximately 10 mill(they'd pay about 3 mill of cuttino's contract next season)

dave2138

Rotation player
next offseason is the most important offseason in Knicks history. This offseason's main goals are to

#1 make as much value as possible through sign and trade/resign to a reasonable deal from David Lee and Nate Robinson.

#2 make a smart selection with the #8 pick.

We should just hold on to all the expiring contracts instead of trading them for longer, worse contracts like we did in the past. Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas..no thanks. I say just let the Cuttino Mobley, Al Harrington, Quentin Richardson, Chris Duhon contracts expire unless you can get players signed to only 1 year like Marcus Camby or future draft choices.

The only way the Knicks get the #5 pick + Mike James + Etan Thomas is if they also take Gilbert Arenas in return. The Clippers are actually alright financially since 3 of their key players Thornton, Gordon and Griffin are signed cheaply for the next few years. By the time they are due for a big pay increase, Randolph, Davis and Kaman will be gone.

This is an important offseason because there are so many opportunities to make stupid moves. Lets hope Walsh avoids this temptation of trading for the next Stephon Marbury or Zach Randolph and just waits until next year to make big changes to this team. More options next offseason than this offseason.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Next Season

I am in agreement with Dave2138, except that I believe we can get something for Cutino's contract. He counts on the cap for $9.85M, but insurance covers 80% of that amount. In other words he will cost a team that acquires him less than $2M.

If Memphis were to draft Thabeet, there is significantly less of a need for Darko and his $7.5M contract even though it is expiring. They would save over $5M if they traded Darko for Mobley. Of course it would cost the Knicks over $5M, but Dolan does have the money and has not been afraid to spend it.

Cutino's contract could also be used to get a second first round pick. Memphis, Minnesota, Oklahoma and Sacramento have multiple 2009 first round picks. Minnesota has three of them -- 6, 18, and 28. Minnesota also has Cardinal's expiring $6.6M contract. Sacramento has Kenny Thomas's $8.775M expiring contract. Sacramento also has the 23rd pick in addition to its 4th pick. Oklahoma has expiring contracts for Atkins and Watson in combination for about $10M and the 25th pick as well as the 3rd.

These kinds of transactions would cost the Knicks substantial dollars for late first round picks, but do not interfere with the 2010 plan and do not involve any other Knick players.

ANU

Starter
next offseason is the most important offseason in Knicks history. This offseason's main goals are to

#1 make as much value as possible through sign and trade/resign to a reasonable deal from David Lee and Nate Robinson.

#2 make a smart selection with the #8 pick.

We should just hold on to all the expiring contracts instead of trading them for longer, worse contracts like we did in the past. Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas..no thanks. I say just let the Cuttino Mobley, Al Harrington, Quentin Richardson, Chris Duhon contracts expire unless you can get players signed to only 1 year like Marcus Camby or future draft choices.

The only way the Knicks get the #5 pick + Mike James + Etan Thomas is if they also take Gilbert Arenas in return. The Clippers are actually alright financially since 3 of their key players Thornton, Gordon and Griffin are signed cheaply for the next few years. By the time they are due for a big pay increase, Randolph, Davis and Kaman will be gone.

This is an important offseason because there are so many opportunities to make stupid moves. Lets hope Walsh avoids this temptation of trading for the next Stephon Marbury or Zach Randolph and just waits until next year to make big changes to this team. More options next offseason than this offseason.
its easy to say next season is the most important off season, but fact of the matter is lebron is not leaving cleveland to a worse team.his team just lost in the efc.ain't no way in hell he's coming over to play for a lotto team.

the point of taking baron davis's contract is to get GRIFFIN, you make it sound like its just for baron.

the wizards would like to get rid of arenas's contract, but they know nobody is going to take it.they've been shopping that 5th pick around.all i'd offer is cuttino's deal from which they'd pay 3 mill of the 9 mill, instead of paying thomas and james 13 mill.they save ten mill.

ANU

Starter
in reality, only one of these scenario has a small chance of happening, but

steph curry/baron davis
lebron james/demar derozan
danilo gallinari/wilson chandler/demar derozan
dajuan blair/danilo gallinari/wilson chandler
blake griffin/varejao

would be an electrifying squad.i would definitely pawn off chandler for whoever verajao signs with....