2014 Knicks Preseason Game Threads and Analysis

tiger0330

Legend
Saw an article saying the Knicks intend to use Larkins speed in the Knicks offense but you need more than being one of the 5 fastest guys in the NBA to make it on the Knicks. Prigs is better but I guess DFish wants to see what Larkin brings to the table, so far not much.

Great battle developing at that 2 guard position with JR, Shump and Tim, going to give DFish a lot of options in the triangle.

Still waiting to see Jason Smith in the mix.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Think about this...Melo and Amares 40 million in combined contracts exceeds the RAPTORS Roster....

tiger0330

Legend
I'm looking for a good showing from the boys tonight. They're home, the Raps were a playoff team last year and they should be more comfortable as a team. Preseason or not run the Raps out of MSG.

tiger0330

Legend
according to the nba, rap's r paying a bit over 80m this year...
Near 80M, I see it listed as 77.8M. I had to check because their 2 highest paid players are Derozan and Lowry and I knew they weren't being paid max $ and Ross and Valencunias are on rookie contracts so it surprised me.

Fields, Hayes and Vasquez combined make almost 19M. Dumping Gay was a great move, they'll have cap space when these guys expire next season.

paris401

Starter
Near 80M, I see it listed as 77.8M. .

online its reported at 80,009m... 77/80... pretty close numbers, next year it appears to be 39+mill... def they will have cap space... ofcourse u have to attract a player/s who wants to go north... and that has been a tough sell in years gone by...

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Guys had questions about the Dallas trade. Calderon was too old and the Knicks couldn't lose a DPOY in TC. That trade by Phil was a good one, Dally does everything Tyson does for a lot less money. PJ said Dally will start, where in the league is there a starting big man making 3.5M. Liked what I saw from Jason Smith also, now if Stat can dominate we can have a playoff caliber front court.

Only saw a chunk of the first half and a little of the third quarter before going to work, but an ugly low scoring game is exactly what I'd expect with a lineup of Melo, Dalembert, Acy, Shump, and Calderon logging the major minutes. Not sure if a second unit with Stat, THJ, and JR Smith would work with so few shots to go around, although I'd love to see Larkin's speed as a PG be utilized to help Stat get open looks in the paint with momentum. Seems like Fisher is experimenting like crazy to see what might work and that was something Woodson always seemed reluctant to do.

tiger0330

Legend
The boys were ice cold so it was an ugly low scoring game. I think you can pencil in Dally, Melo and Calderon in the starting lineup so the game wasn't a total loss. The rest of the roster is up in the air but DFish seems to like what Acy brings to the table so it looks like he'll get major minutes in the rotation.

Kiyaman

Legend
The boys were ice cold so it was an ugly low scoring game. I think you can pencil in Dally, Melo and Calderon in the starting lineup so the game wasn't a total loss. The rest of the roster is up in the air but DFish seems to like what Acy brings to the table so it looks like he'll get major minutes in the rotation.

It looks like Fish is giving Larkins, Early, Acy, and Cole plenty of playing-time in the preseason games to see if they can squeeze into the regular-season rotation ....

The Knicks regular-season rotation will consist of ..
a 5 guards rotation per game in Calderon, Prig, JR, Shump, THJ.
a 3 center rotation per game in Dally, Amare, and Smith.
a 5 forward rotation of Melo, Outlaw, Barg, Smith, Amare.
That's a total of a 11-Man rotation for the regular season games.

Larkins best preseason performance adds up to garbage minutes in regular season games.
Early preseason performance may grab Outlaw minutes in certain games.
Acy preseason performance will grab some of Bargs n Smith minutes thru-out season
Cole preseason performance will get minutes as soon as frontcourt bigmen get injured.

Phil had the chance to trade Larkins & JR for Lou Williams, who took the Hawks to the playoff by being the teams 4th quarter winner throughout the 2013-14 season.
Putting Lou Williams & Dalembert back as teammates, and Calderon & Barg back as teammates would have gave the triangle system better option of being completed with two-units of tandem backcourt guards ..
Calderon & Shump vs Lou & THJ

We look pretty good tonight or maybe the Sixers are just going to be terrible this year. Not sure. One thing I can say with some confidence is we need a big man with strong passing skills. The plays have been there all night, but guys like Acy just don't seem to have the passing instincts to hit the cutting man for the easy 2. Our big men are trying, but it is just not their skill set.

tiger0330

Legend
Sixers are just bad so a win means nothing. Where is Bargnani, DFish can't depend on him after missing most of the last 3 seasons he gets hurt in training camp and misses the last 3 games. I would just sit him for the season along with Outlaw and go with a small defensive lineup of Acy and Shumpert.

Did you see that feed to Shump from Dally, Pau-esque play by him, second time he's made a pretty pass this preseason. Shump has been a factor today, I see him beating out JR for that starting 2 guard spot.

DrB

Benchwarmer
I agree

It looks like Fish is giving Larkins, Early, Acy, and Cole plenty of playing-time in the preseason games to see if they can squeeze into the regular-season rotation ....

The Knicks regular-season rotation will consist of ..
a 5 guards rotation per game in Calderon, Prig, JR, Shump, THJ.
a 3 center rotation per game in Dally, Amare, and Smith.
a 5 forward rotation of Melo, Outlaw, Barg, Smith, Amare.
That's a total of a 11-Man rotation for the regular season games.

Larkins best preseason performance adds up to garbage minutes in regular season games.
Early preseason performance may grab Outlaw minutes in certain games.
Acy preseason performance will grab some of Bargs n Smith minutes thru-out season
Cole preseason performance will get minutes as soon as frontcourt bigmen get injured.

Phil had the chance to trade Larkins & JR for Lou Williams, who took the Hawks to the playoff by being the teams 4th quarter winner throughout the 2013-14 season.
Putting Lou Williams & Dalembert back as teammates, and Calderon & Barg back as teammates would have gave the triangle system better option of being completed with two-units of tandem backcourt guards ..
Calderon & Shump vs Lou & THJ[/QUOTE
Good post Kiyaman
]It seems to me Larkin will be the back up to Calderon not Prigioni...
Knicks had excellent ball movement at times but still STOOD AROUND on the DEFENSIVE END not contesting an 8 foot jump shot.....and SEVERAL layups
Really impressed with Jason Smith's shooting
Early is challenged just passing the ball...he should go to the D LEAGUE with LARKIN just to get playing time....
ACY is a scrapper...and good defender.....
Best game so far with balanced scoring but the defense needs work and the knicks are HUFFING AND PUFFING

DrB

Benchwarmer
according to the nba, rap's r paying a bit over 80m this year...
I was being a bit sarcastic but if 80 million is the number then throw in Bargnani and takes it to 55 million....and 2/3 of that is a COMPLETE WASTE. NEXT YEAR we have a ton of cash which will be put to proper use no doubt. BTW I used Yahoo Sports, NBA TEAMS, ROSTER to get the salaries of the RAPTORS and it's no where near 80 million dollars....

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Sixers are just bad so a win means nothing. Where is Bargnani, DFish can't depend on him after missing most of the last 3 seasons he gets hurt in training camp and misses the last 3 games. I would just sit him for the season along with Outlaw and go with a small defensive lineup of Acy and Shumpert.

Did you see that feed to Shump from Dally, Pau-esque play by him, second time he's made a pretty pass this preseason. Shump has been a factor today, I see him beating out JR for that starting 2 guard spot.

Philly really cleaned house by trading for all those draft-picks their total roster age average is 23.
Do Philly believe they improve a 19 win season roster in the offseason? I doubt it.

The Knicks have a good outside shooting game from Melo/JR/THJ/Calderon/and raw rookie Early.
The Knicks don't have any inside game, yet they have the inside scorers in Stat/Barg/Dally/Smith/Acy
I notice in preseason that president Phil Jackson did not get players in the offseason to help Stat or Barg inside scoring talent, I guess that's why Stat and Barg look useless in the preseason rotation.

Phil had to change the Triangle-Offense to fit into Shaq low post game, then again to fit into Bynum/Gasol inside game.
Phil made no-effort in the offseason to do the same for Stat and Barg.
The Knicks preseason has showed coach Fish has not develope any low-post moves or plays for the Knicks Bigs.
When I seen Stat taking a 3 point shot in the first preseason game with 6 seconds on the shot clock I thought Woodson coaching, then when I seen Amare shooting the majority of his shots from the outside in the 4 preseason games my thoughts went to Kurt Rambis equal Herb Williams.
I thought coach Fish would b establishing a PnR and low-post play for Amare, and Dally throughout the preseason, especially while Barg is on the bench watching the role he will have to repeat.

Going down-low to Dally, Stat, Barg, Smith in the first half of the preseason games will make them practice extra on their free throw shooting.
LETS GO :gony:

Kiyaman

Legend
It seems to me Larkin will be the back up to Calderon not Prigioni...
Knicks had excellent ball movement at times but still STOOD AROUND on the DEFENSIVE END not contesting an 8 foot jump shot.....and SEVERAL layups
Really impressed with Jason Smith's shooting
Early is challenged just passing the ball...he should go to the D LEAGUE with LARKIN just to get playing time....
ACY is a scrapper...and good defender.....
Best game so far with balanced scoring but the defense needs work and the knicks are HUFFING AND PUFFING

After watching the NBA experience Knicks team vs the raw draft pick (D.League) 76er team ....
Phil Jax & coach Fish should b embarrassed with their triangle-offense scoring 84 points on a non-defense 76ers team.
Is it me that believe the Knicks starters should've scored over 30 points in the first quarter (23 pts) vs Philly, or was my expectation to high after I watch new coach Steve Kerr GS Warriors team score 39 points on the Lakers in the first quarter???

paris401

Starter
Calderon & Barg back as teammates would have gave the triangle system better option of being completed with two-units of tandem backcourt guards ..
Calderon & Shump vs Lou & THJ

if we have to depend on the I"Talian
for 'anything'... our season is doomed... what a waste of 7feet...

Attachments

• mister-softee-ice-cream-profile[1].jpg
    mister-softee-ice-cream-profile[1].jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1
  • th[1].jpg
    th[1].jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1

CoolClyde

Jason Smith looking like the most talented 7 footer in the bunch. Although Sammy D is a shot blocker and should start at C, it looks like the big Smith is deserving of the most minutes, as he's most adept in the triangle, re passing, spacing, shooting and rebounding, as evidenced by his Philly breakout game.

STAT has not shown much of anything, and it could just be his age and rustiness, which he could shed by midseason and be a force to be reckoned with inside, IF he stays healthy.

Bargs has not had the minutes to show much either, but if his 3-point shot returns and he continues to drive and thrive, the Knicks have a 3-headed monster that is not a bad problem to have.

tiger0330

Legend
I have been pleasantly surprised with Dally's offensive production. People think he's only good for putbacks but he's got a nice turnaround jump shot and he's a solid 70% FT shooter which is great for a big man. Dally also showed he can pass the ball, he's made a couple of nice bounce passes on back door cuts resulting in scores. Glad we got him and I don't miss Chandler at all. He's going to play limited minutes I would say 20-25 minutes which is going to leave a lot of playing time for Jason Smith.

Bargs will probably be back the next game and it will be interesting to see if Acy starts or Bargs, I think DFish likes the D and energy Acy brings and it wouldn't surprise me if Acy becomes the starting 4 for the Knicks when the season starts.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Bargs will probably be back the next game and it will be interesting to see if Acy starts or Bargs, I think DFish likes the D and energy Acy brings and it wouldn't surprise me if Acy becomes the starting 4 for the Knicks when the season starts.
Berman wrote a story today saying Acy may become the Knicks starting PF. Bargs better play his butt off at both ends if he wants that starters job.