Why the Knicks will draft Emmanuel Mudiay: 10 reasons

Broadway

All Star
For the record I prefer Mudiay to be selected by us but I think Okafor is the best fit in this offense as a ready now player. At times he's going to be unstoppable. Mudiay will take about 2-3yrs before we see evident results and his upside is probably higher than 95% of the players in this draft.

Wargames

Starter
Doesn't matter I posted a video of his shooting too. He has sloppy footwork, a hitch, slow release and missed a ton of shots 12-16ft. Apparently you are either blind or refused to go into the other thread. But just in case here you go...

first off don't make it personal because I even just said you we're right. Sh*t like that is why this board is a ghost town compared to just a few years ago.

You have reporters saying Mudiay's shot was clunky, He was streaky in China, and he is talking about showing off his athleticism instead of an improved shot. All those are a lot of Red Flags...

mafra

Legend
If you look at high school rating they mean nothing at the college level and we're so bad on the NBA level due to the players being under developed the league themselves pushed for players to have at least 1 year in college. So teams could see if those skills would translate at a NBA level.

A perfect example of this would be Josh Selby. He was the #1 High School player in the nation due to how athletic he was in HS and he never made a single dent in the league. In that same draft Victor Oladipo who was ranked #177 in High School is likely going to be a future All Star and a cornerstone of the Magic for multiple season.

Mudiay has to show out at these workout especially at his weak spots and so far all we've heard reporters say is his shot is clunky. With Mudiay's reply "I came to show off my athleticism" at the workouts a even bigger red flag. You got guys who have no outside shot in games at all like WCS and Okafor hitting more 3's in these videos.... This kid is just as likely to end up a Tyreke Evans type player more than anything else and if the knicks take him at #4 and that is what he is will all be really disappointed.

Good points. Can't argue with that. I, too, would think Mudiay'a workout would be critical, in my overall evaluation. I mean, if I'm gonna gamble... Why not Pirzingus. If, that is, I was disappointed in the workout. I think Okafor is dream scenario, then trade for talent and get that PG from Murray St, followed by Winslow or Mudiay (scenario 3). I would be happy with any of these options...

Broadway

All Star
first off don't make it personal because I even just said you we're right. Sh*t like that is why this board is a ghost town compared to just a few years ago.

You have reporters saying Mudiay's shot was clunky, He was streaky in China, and he is talking about showing off his athleticism instead of an improved shot. All those are a lot of Red Flags...

Who cares so much what reporters are saying when I'm actually posting video footage for you to judge and see for yourself.

To that I said every workout thus far from top prospects(those who have worked out) have ample footage of clunky shots. Did you listen to Russell's interview? I posted that too and similar to Mudiay he said he wish he could have showcased his playmaking ability and played in 2-on-2 3-on-3 drills. Is this an admission of a red flag? The funny thing about Russell he's the one who's supposed to have the silky smooth shot, that's not what the footage showed.

Here's one of Stanley Johnson working out for the Nuggets. Do you see clunk here or not?

What I want you to do is show us all footage of a prospect where this isn't the case.

Wargames

Starter
Who cares so much what reporters are saying when I'm actually posting video footage for you to judge and see for yourself.

To that I said every workout thus far from top prospects(those who have worked out) have ample footage of clunky shots. Did you listen to Russell's interview? I posted that too and similar to Mudiay he said he wish he could have showcased his playmaking ability and played in 2-on-2 3-on-3 drills. Is this an admission of a red flag? The funny thing about Russell he's the one who's supposed to have the silky smooth shot, that's not what the footage showed.

Here's one of Stanley Johnson working out for the Nuggets. Do you see clunk here or not?

What I want you to do is show us all footage of a prospect where this isn't the case.

Stanley Johnson has a horrible....HORRIBLE stroke. You might of literally found the worst shooting form of a forward going in the first round

Check out Decker who might be the best shooter in the first round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UGok5rR_5I

Hell Check out WCS who cant shoot in game but looks great here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i89E4DyhVU0

THe WCS video is the one I most wanted to put up here because if Mudiay is the pick I would hope he would come in and shoot the ball well like WCS did. Since shooting is the biggest knock against him. WCS understood that scoring was his biggest flaw and started shooting the ball in preparation for coaches asking him about his offense.

Mudiays excuses about well "I can run a team really well" isn't the question people have about Mudiay being picked at #4. The question is will he be a streaky shooter leaning towards bad shooter once he gets to the league. Because at #4 I would hope the knicks wouldn't go for a, "pg with upside but at least 2 seasons of development to be able to score away from the basket reliably". Hell without a decent shot he might not even start next year.

This isn't like when the knicks are drafting at #16 or the #20 and your trying to find a diamond in the rough. At #4 even if towns, okafor, and Russell are gone this draft has some really good talent that can come in and contribute from day 1 and over the same time Mudiay needs to develop a shot develop their skills into something more.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think it's a good point to be made. None of the top prospects thus far this year are really good shooters. Okafor's mechanics aren't great, but better than I expected given the fact that his strength is his post game. Russell shot well but his shooting mechanics don't look very good for someone who is supposed to be the best guard in the draft. Mudiay's mechanics look OK in some videos but his consistency is not very good. Dekker has great shot mechanics and consistency.

Cauley-Stein's shot looked pretty damn good for a 7-footer in practice, but I'm not sure how well that translates to shooting in-game. If he can play elite-level defense and have even one offensive tool (shooting), then the lack of a post game won't be a big deal. He's athletic and quick.

As for other players and shooting...the good thing about the European players is that they've basically been playing in pro leagues already. Why do I say this? Because it's apparent from the game footage that Mario Hezonja may be the most established shooter in this year's draft. His mechanics are good, he can hit from long range, and his release is really quick. He also knows how to create space for himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WngADYTj-U

Skip to around 2:40 to see the segment on his shooting

tiger0330

Legend
Stanley Johnson has a horrible....HORRIBLE stroke. You might of literally found the worst shooting form of a forward going in the first round
I said the same thing that his shot looked like the Matrix's shot, not sure if it matters given the career Marion has had. I was reading another blog that the writer thought Stanley Johnson would have twice the career that Justise Winslow would have, so who knows.

Broadway

All Star

Check out Decker who might be the best shooter in the first round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UGok5rR_5I

Hell Check out WCS who cant shoot in game but looks great here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i89E4DyhVU0

THe WCS video is the one I most wanted to put up here because if Mudiay is the pick I would hope he would come in and shoot the ball well like WCS did. Since shooting is the biggest knock against him. WCS understood that scoring was his biggest flaw and started shooting the ball in preparation for coaches asking him about his offense.

Mudiays excuses about well "I can run a team really well" isn't the question people have about Mudiay being picked at #4. The question is will he be a streaky shooter leaning towards bad shooter once he gets to the league. Because at #4 I would hope the knicks wouldn't go for a, "pg with upside but at least 2 seasons of development to be able to score away from the basket reliably". Hell without a decent shot he might not even start next year.

This isn't like when the knicks are drafting at #16 or the #20 and your trying to find a diamond in the rough. At #4 even if towns, okafor, and Russell are gone this draft has some really good talent that can come in and contribute from day 1 and over the same time Mudiay needs to develop a shot develop their skills into something more.

Appreciate the couple drops although I already posted Decker's video. Hence why all main topic discussion should stay in 1 thread. But there's a difference in these which I already alluded to. There are at least 2 different types of workouts. You gotta go beneath the surface somewhat, you probably need to dig a little deeper when it comes to workout videos.

There are workout videos staged by the agencies that represent them. Do you honestly think say BDA or CAA is going to release footage via DraftExpress or Youtube Channel or NBADraft.net showing their client clunking shots all over the place unguarded in an open gym? NO!

Then there are workout videos that aren't staged, more authentic by those in which they go workout for specific teams. You will see footage in these workouts that are true to form catching stages of a 2-3hr session and it could have agendas either way. A team may want you to see potentially the roughest spots of the workout to give this perception talent isn't worth picking although secretively they want said player or they are releasing the footage in it's authenticity to show what a player's weakness could be and want a chance at a different prospect(grant rights for an in person workout), such as Towns relinquishing on refusing to workout in person.

As far as you honing in on what Mudiay mentioned in his interview, you're kind of nitpicking based on all footage shown thus far. This is my main point. I could see if all the other prospects are beasting in these workouts but from what is revealed to the public thus far, they aren't.

In the Russell workout video with the Lakers did you see him doing anything going right(natural lefty)? Did you see him stroking shot after shot? Did you see any athleticism? Did you see any high motor?

All I'm saying is don't be biased when footage is sitting right here on the site for you to judge with your own eyes. For the record here's a workout video of Russell Westbrook....

http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonlive/2008/06/blazers_predraft_workout_russe.html

The knock on him was that he couldn't shoot coming into the league, you heard Pritch say it himself although credited shooting well in workout but you also saw him struggling against Roddy Beuqbois and Ty Lawson in one on ones. Westbrook also spent the first 2-3 yrs shooting like crap in this league. Used to be called BustBrick WestChuck etc etc etc but would you have preferred we had a shot at him in 2008 looking back?

So once again take what you want from these. This is why I made specific mention when you watch the footage try and find some finer details in them instead of running with 20-30sec of making mind up and running with a 1-2 things said in a write up review/interview on them. Looks like all of these prospects have something to work on, not just Mudiay.

Paul1355

All Star
I think if we draft Mudiay it is more about how he dominated the Mcdonalds All Star highschool game and out shined all of these top picks in this draft