KrisP VS PGE Turow footage

tiger0330

Legend
I sure hope the Knicks know what they're doing. I would not have drafted this kid at 4 based on what I saw in this video.

He's looking like a tall skinny kid that will probably get abused and hurt before Preseason. He can dribble the ball (for a big man) but not well enough to utilize it (yet) in this league because he bounces the ball too high. I can easily see him causing a lot of turnovers in the post. He also doesn?t have to jump strong because he has long arms, which will help as he learns how to play post defense?something he doesn?t do well at all. I do like his jump shot, but it has yet to be truly tested under NBA pressure and talent. I?m glad to see him utilizing the sky hook?something a lot of big men fail to do well in this day and age. He?s very thin and I?m worried if he doesn?t put on some muscle he will be broken down and worn out before the year is over. From what I?ve seen of him thus far, he has the greatest potential out of all the other Euro-players the Knicks acquired over the years. Unfortunately, their ?A? game doesn?t always make the trip with them across the pond. Giving his age, he still has time to grow?but we hear this about everyone?especially the last Euro players that wore Knick Jersey?s. Sometimes it feels like the James Dolan has a TV cable contract with the Euro-league and is using the NY media/stage to help promote foreign players. J/k.

Actually, that?s fine?but how about giving the NYfans (Real basketball minded people) something real to cheer and support?.Instead of hype dreams and years of regret and unnecessary exposure to overhyped talent the fans have never heard of?then make us have to watch and cheer for them.

Imo, The Euro league is just not impressive enough; it?s hard to really judge BBall talent in this league because it?s where the NBA rejects and wannabe?s go to play (and sometimes dominate). I remember a time when the college players would represent USA in the Basketball Olympics?I?m sure they still can. As of now?The jury is still out on this kid?We?ll see what this youngin can do in the summer league. We?ll see if he can stay healthy enough to bang with the most talented b-ballers that all seem to be stronger and hungrier.

Broadway

All Star
He's looking like a tall skinny kid that will probably get abused and hurt before Preseason.

He's already is hurt and may not play in his Summer League debut and could sit it out completely and remember he couldn't complete his full workout in front of us. Isola said the kid told him he only worked out for about 5-10min in front of Melo before he shut it down.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
He already is hurt and may not play in his Summer League debut and could sit it out completely and remember he couldn't complete his full workout in front of us. Isola said the kid told him he only worked out for about 5-10min in front of Melo before he shut it down.
Knicks fans are just going to love that. That he couldn't play in Summer League because he hurt himself during those extremely grueling NBA workouts, oh brother. :boohoo:His brother said he's questionable for game 1 so lets hope that's the only game he misses, can't wait to see him against better talent than he plays with over there in Spain. BTW, did you see him block Mardy Collins shot in this video, I was wondering what happened to him since he left the NBA.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Imo, The Euro league is just not impressive enough; it’s hard to really judge BBall talent in this league because it’s where the NBA rejects and wannabe’s go to play (and sometimes dominate). I remember a time when the college players would represent USA in the Basketball Olympics…I’m sure they still can. As of now…The jury is still out on this kid…We’ll see what this youngin can do in the summer league. We’ll see if he can stay healthy enough to bang with the most talented b-ballers that all seem to be stronger and hungrier.

What the hell are you talking about? Are you forgetting that Ricky Rubio and Pau Gasol almost beat the USA in 2008? It wasn't until Kobe Bryant took over in the 4th quarter that the USA won...and you think college players could do a better job?

What about the fact that the USA only beat Spain by 7 points in the 2012 Finals? You don't honestly think that a bunch of college players could be the Gasols, Calderon, Ibaka, and former NBA players Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez, do you? These guys would cream the Kentucky Wildcats by 20 points easily.

^^hmmm, What the hell are you looking at? lend me your eyes...

As far as I can see...

USA doesn?t really take Olympic BBall that serious?you can clearly see that in the way they play. Its showtime and highlights for most of the time. They are toying around and having fun until late in the game. I don?t even like watching the Olympic Games anymore because it?s painfully obvious the games aren?t played as hard as they are in the NBA?plus these Olympic games are played after a grueling season. So the Olympics is relax mode time, vacation, site seeing with nba friends, with a little bit of bball thrown into the mix. College players will make it more interesting, they will play harder than the NBA players.

Ricky Rubio is unimpressive, spoiled self entitled dude can't play defense and has an inconsistent shot. Pau Gasol has been in the NBA for about 15 years?AND people are still trying to compare other Euro-ballas to him (and Dirk). WHY? Because they have been the best players to travel across the pond. Everyone else becomes hype, potential or maybe a decent role player. Over half of my post here is about exposing another weak talent that was drafted to the Knicks from the Euroleague. I've heard the same hype before, heard about the potential, the false ceilings, skills(lol), etc....
I'm not giving credit or hope to anyone until it is actually earned...in the least, recognizable. The Jury is still deliberating.

If it was up to me...
I'll stay with re-searchable facts and our most prosperous traditions in talent scouting.

Ever year the best ballers are drafted from the states?and many of them go on to be stars or great contributing assets to a winning team. This is not the case with Euro-players. Spain is arguably the best team across the pond. But, they played with, and known each other for years... and still got beat by (US) players that rarely get to play with each other at all.

I?m sure a team assembled with the best college talent will give any Euro team a decent run, and probably win. That?s not a bold statement? just my careful observation on talent levels, skill sets, conditioning, IQ, and other intangibles. And another fact to consider? that USA Olympic team filled with college players...will have more NBA ready draftees than any of the teams in the tournaments, combined. No one is rushing to go play in the Euroleague...The best are bread and already play here. Hope this clarifies things a bit for you...I just don't like the constant gambling and would rather us take the safe bet sometimes. We fail so hard when it comes to these unknowns...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
What safe bet are you talking about? There were no safe bets in this year's draft at #4. Do you think we should have drafted Willie Cauley-Stein or Frank Kaminsky at #4?

Or better yet, would you rather we draft Justise Winslow from Duke University, the school which has produced only one NBA star since Grant Hill?

There was nobody available for us at #4. The only picks were Mudiay (dude played in China which is even weaker than the Spanish league), Hezonja (also played in Spain), Cauley-Stein (safe pick but not worth drafting at #4), or Winslow (safe pick, but low ceiling). There's no way we were taking anybody else. There's a reason nobody wanted Winslow.

You never ever take the safe pick at #4. Ever. That's what stupid franchises do. You always draft the best player available. That's what successful teams do and that's how they win. Porzingis isn't perfect and he has flaws, but he had the highest ceiling, so you go with him. Look at the franchises that are dominating the NBA right now. They do well because they draft players with the most potential, even if it sometimes takes them a bit of time to get there.

Plus, I'm not really all that sure that Winslow is NBA-ready. Yeah, his body is NBA-ready, but his skillset isn't, since his ball-handling isn't good, his shooting is bad, and he's undersized for the SF position. On top of it all, Porzingis looks pretty good thus far in summer league - better than Russell, anyway.

And it's not even a debate - the Kentucky Wildcats from 2015 would get creamed by the Spanish national team if they played.

If there were no safe bets at 4…then why would the Knicks organization gamble at getting the best pick by winning games at the end of the season? That’s a sign of ill management.

At the 4 we could have snatched up Mudiay, Winslow, Booker, Oubre or Stein.

Many of us were thinking Mudiay, he’s doing great as expected.

Kelly Oubre is a great defender. I can easily imagine him playing off of Melo. He's a great athlete, can hit the 3, and is an above average defender. His ceiling is also way up there. https://youtu.be/veK4fTdTBI4

Winslow ceiling is unknown, but you can’t deny his great potential. If used as a combo guard he will bring great size and be a pesky defender. Plus, he has a great work ethic. His defense will get even better and it will definitely open up his offense. He has the tools…he just has to get more acquainted with them. He will be fine, especially when the right tutelage is boosting your experience.

Since you keep bringing up Kentucky (why? IDK)… Devin Booker could have been a good fit too. He is a great facilitator, can shoot the 3 ball consistently, and has a high bball IQ. His debut was pretty decent too. https://youtu.be/xVCAOpmY4fM

Hell Yeah, I would have drafted Willie Cauley-Stein over Porzingis!! Not just because he’s physically stronger…but he also has a decent mid-range Jumper and a post game (that will get better over time), he bangs the boards and plays defense with intensity. He's looking better then Porzingis and has an invisible ceiling https://youtu.be/sXlwwPOaHsg

Porzingis was drafted for a dated system, he’s here to shoot the long ball. He will struggle in the paint if he tries to be a post up guy, But if his hook shot is working many of my fears will disappear (Stein also has a decent hook shot).

My biggest concern is Kristops durability. He needs to put on some muscle (not too much) to be able to endure the constant banging and running in this league. He seems to want to take the ball to the rack (I like that) but If he thinks his thin frame will surpass the rigors of NBA ball…he will learn the hard way when one of those hard fouls puts him on the DL lists.

Speaking of fouls…he’s going to be riding the pine a whole lot if he keeps allowing dudes to suck him into easy fouls like he does.. As I said…judging from what I/we know is out there, and from what I have seen.…Porzingis still has much to prove. https://youtu.be/0GWrD9U-9i4

looking at his game thus far… I’m not that impress…yet. But I will say he plays way better than our last Euro-draft pick that you and others here used to praised in the same way. We know what happened there.
I’m not going to defend or ridicule this kid just yet, I’m just being fair. By the end of pre-season I should have a better feel for Porzingis. As of now...The Jury is out for launch.

Oh, And Spain will have a very tough time beating a team filled with the best collegiate players in the nation. Actually, I don’t think they will be able to do it at all. Spain’s has the experience thou, players knowing each other will be their only real advantage….as that USA collegiate team will most likely be filled with NBA material.

Time will tell...as always.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Yeah this whole notion that the draft got confusing at pick 4 is horse manure. It got odd for us because of Phil's desire to be Triangle Centric and him not being able to adjust to the new age style of players.

Mudiay appears to be a double/double(pts/ast) guy out the gate, I mean but who needs that in today's game at the point guard position?

Real Ny Baller: Good post because as you went down the line with other prospects that fit Phil's TEAM game criteria you proved there were some even more so with what they provide elsewhere.

If it were Ainge/Morey with pick 4 in the 24th hour wanting to trade down(As Phil was doing) I bet they get us something better than what we got!

I do like the fact #kporzee appears to be a player who can play with high efficiency, at least I'm hoping he does. He is skilled but....what I don't like about #kporzee he appears a little soft, timid, he has almost zero alpha to him. Let me say this loud and clear........

IF A PLAYER HAS NO ALPHADOG IN HIM....I DON'T CARE WHAT SKILLSETS HE POSSESSES, HE'LL NEVER REACH HIS POTENTIAL.

This is one of the main rebuttals as to why we picked him over others....his supposed unlimited ceiling.

Start naming All-Time greats who had no Alpha?

Yes #kporzee should from day 1 he steps on the court believing in his own abilities, should respectfully challenge Melo's rights to this team

Yeah this whole notion that the draft got confusing at pick 4 is horse manure. It got odd for us because of Phil's desire to be Triangle Centric and him not being able to adjust to the new age style of players.

Mudiay appears to be a double/double(pts/ast) guy out the gate, I mean but who needs that in today's game at the point guard position?

Real Ny Baller: Good post because as you went down the line with other prospects that fit Phil's TEAM game criteria you proved there were some even more so with what they provide elsewhere.

If it were Ainge/Morey with pick 4 in the 24th hour wanting to trade down(As Phil was doing) I bet they get us something better than what we got!

I do like the fact #kporzee appears to be a player who can play with high efficiency, at least I'm hoping he does. He is skilled but....what I don't like about #kporzee he appears a little soft, timid, he has almost zero alpha to him. Let me say this loud and clear........

IF A PLAYER HAS NO ALPHADOG IN HIM....I DON'T CARE WHAT SKILLSETS HE POSSESSES, HE'LL NEVER REACH HIS POTENTIAL.

This is one of the main rebuttals as to why we picked him over others....his supposed unlimited ceiling.

Start naming All-Time greats who had no Alpha?

Yes #kporzee should from day 1 he steps on the court believing in his own abilities, should respectfully challenge Melo's rights to this team

Is Porzingis any more timid than Tim Duncan? Not sure Porzingis is timid at all for that matter.

Broadway

All Star
Is Porzingis any more timid than Tim Duncan? Not sure Porzingis is timid at all for that matter.

Tim Duncan had inner alpha and really was rock Day 1, so much so that D-Rob jumped on his back to a chip.

What I don't want to see is #kporzee taking backseats to Jerian and the gang in SL.

Tim Duncan had inner alpha and really was rock Day 1, so much so that D-Rob jumped on his back to a chip.

What I don't want to see is #kporzee taking backseats to Jerian and the gang in SL.

First play of tonight's summer league game against the Sixers, Porzingis calls for the ball and drains the jumper in Okafor's eye. A couple plays later he gets the ball at the 3 point line and goes right at Okafor to draw the foul. I really don't think there is any worry about Porzingis being too timid.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
If you honestly think drafting Oubre, Cauley-Stein, or Devin Booker with the #4 pick would've been better than drafting Porzingis, then you're a freaking moron. There's no question about that. Tons of analysts thought Porzingis was the best player available at #4. At the time, I would have preferred Mudiay, but now that I've seen Porzingis actually play against decent competition, I think he's the better pick.

And Porzingis...timid? Maybe y'all should actually watch the Summer League games. They don't run many plays for him so he doesn't get many touches, but he went right at Okafor and held his ground defensively.

Thanks, Broadway

@ SSJ4Wingzero, I’ve heard tons of Analyists thought the same thing about Gallo, *wink*

I’m going off of what was available to watch as far as his game is concern. I don’t rely on Euro-league footage when stating my opinions, because this is not the EL. You were hoping and putting faith in the pick without having much insight and footage of his game. I don’t do that. There was nothing serious to view of him…not until recently. I can think for myself when viewing someone’s game. Only a moron will believe and regurgitate someone else’s opinion, and put blind faith in what he cannot analysis for himself. Plus they have a tendency to over react, get frustrated, and try to offend/insult others when they can’t really support their own argument with details. Maybe if they actually did their own investigation instead of going off of what others have to say on the subject…the outcome would be more in their favor. This is the case we face here.

Yes I’m watching the summer league games…not just Knick games. Are you seeing what the guys I’ve mentioned are doing in SL? I doubt it, simply because they are all playing well, some even better than Porzingis.

What is Porzingis doing better than the other guys I mentioned? Post those opinions now…don’t wait for another game to be played, cross your fingers, and then come back here to respond. IMO, from what I see NOW. He has the height. A long thin frame and should get us at least 2 blocks a game (like Stein).

Stein’s numbers/stats are just about the same as Porzingis, but Stein’s a much better defender with clear offensive potential. Oubre is having a great SL and Deven Booker had 18 and 6 rebounds last night. Are you watching the SL games or just Knick games? What did the zinger have last night?

We need to run plays for zinger? Well, how about he finds his way in the post (like a big man) instead of the outside (like a little man). Were we running plays for the other guys? Kristop is better fitted to play down low but I fear his body isn’t ready to commit to that just yet. The triangle will make him a useless player if he can’t drain his shots. I want to see more post play from him on both sides of the court. I’m not totally convinced, but the kid did put a lil smile on my face.

Porzingis has potential; I already said I like his jumpshot, his hook shot, and his desire to take it to the rack. I already said I like his footwork and arms span for defensive purposes. And, I don’t think he’s timid at all, just that his frame may not be able to keep up with his desire to bang down low. This is also a trash talking league, his wit and focus will be tested. Will he get suckered into playing physical, or will he keep the thin frame, upgrade to a finesse player and let his game do the talking for him.

So far, Grant and Ndour are the real highlights of the Knicks summer league. Kristops is playing ok, If he can keep his long arms extended without picking up fouls I’m happy. The real completion starts in preseason…when your strengths and weaknesses are exposed. I want to see how he enforces his game and will on others, and if he can adapt when players figure him out? This is what the jury wants to know.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Thanks, Broadway

@ SSJ4Wingzero, I?ve heard tons of Analyists thought the same thing about Gallo, *wink*

I?m going off of what was available to watch as far as his game is concern. I don?t rely on Euro-league footage when stating my opinions, because this is not the EL. You were hoping and putting faith in the pick without having much insight and footage of his game. I don?t do that. There was nothing serious to view of him?not until recently. I can think for myself when viewing someone?s game. Only a moron will believe and regurgitate someone else?s opinion, and put blind faith in what he cannot analysis for himself. Plus they have a tendency to over react, get frustrated, and try to offend/insult others when they can?t really support their own argument with details. Maybe if they actually did their own investigation instead of going off of what others have to say on the subject?the outcome would be more in their favor. This is the case we face here.

Yes I?m watching the summer league games?not just Knick games. Are you seeing what the guys I?ve mentioned are doing in SL? I doubt it, simply because they are all playing well, some even better than Porzingis.

What is Porzingis doing better than the other guys I mentioned? Post those opinions now?don?t wait for another game to be played, cross your fingers, and then come back here to respond. IMO, from what I see NOW. He has the height. A long thin frame and should get us at least 2 blocks a game (like Stein).

Stein?s numbers/stats are just about the same as Porzingis, but Stein?s a much better defender with clear offensive potential. Oubre is having a great SL and Deven Booker had 18 and 6 rebounds last night. Are you watching the SL games or just Knick games? What did the zinger have last night?

We need to run plays for zinger? Well, how about he finds his way in the post (like a big man) instead of the outside (like a little man). Were we running plays for the other guys? Kristop is better fitted to play down low but I fear his body isn?t ready to commit to that just yet. The triangle will make him a useless player if he can?t drain his shots. I want to see more post play from him on both sides of the court. I?m not totally convinced, but the kid did put a lil smile on my face.

Porzingis has potential; I already said I like his jumpshot, his hook shot, and his desire to take it to the rack. I already said I like his footwork and arms span for defensive purposes. And, I don?t think he?s timid at all, just that his frame may not be able to keep up with his desire to bang down low. This is also a trash talking league, his wit and focus will be tested. Will he get suckered into playing physical, or will he keep the thin frame, upgrade to a finesse player and let his game do the talking for him.

So far, Grant and Ndour are the real highlights of the Knicks summer league. Kristops is playing ok, If he can keep his long arms extended without picking up fouls I?m happy. The real completion starts in preseason?when your strengths and weaknesses are exposed. I want to see how he enforces his game and will on others, and if he can adapt when players figure him out? This is what the jury wants to know.

The things I highlighted in red I'll touch on briefly in a moment....

I want to go back to when I said he's timid. Not in his overall function in what we do, actually he's very active. I'm talking in the trenches he seems to be a little unsure of how hard he should go or how stout he should be on both sides of the ball. It's caused him to create silly fouls, to be out of position, and surrender/abort his positions on the court sooner than he necessarily should.

Back to what I highlighted in red. You're so spot on here. Too many Knick fans incubate/marinate/soak/bunker themselves with our team....anchor themselves exclusively and neglect to satellite the rest of the league. They often relate everything in best case scenarios no matter how limited we are to grow internally and externally, while covertly making the rest of the field-competition static, cap their abilities to improve, refuse to acknowledged others clearly have improved, pretend they don't exist.

There are prospects in SL, even a couple on our team performing at a high level better than #kporzee... considering the competition.

As far as #kporzee goes, he's shown us more positives than negatives. But projecting out, the microscope is probably magnified larger than any other prospect because our need for him to be great is greater and far outweighs the rest of the competition. He has to make up in talent across multiple prospects. It's not added pressure on him, at least I hope not he controls only what he can control. From fan perspective and how this league works we know deep down inside he has be truly one of kind if we are to have any lasting success as a franchise.

Reading the essays written in this thread, I've lost track of what even anyone is trying to say. Are people trying to say that after 3 Summer League games Porzingis doesn't look better than every other player in the draft, hence we should have drafted someone else? Seriously asking this question.

Yeah Broadway, glad to see that someone gets it.

@htr10, Speaking for myself… the bulk of my essay’s are just clarifications to my original post in this thread. The replies to that post were made after we have gotten some much needed footage of Porzingis (mainly in SL). And... that there were other players out there that will mesh well with mello within and without this dated system… that will most likely disappear once Phil leaves here in about 2 to 3 years.

We all know how melo plays, and the guys I’ve mentioned will fit well with his playing style. For the triangle…Porzingis appears to be a good fit (logically). But we have very little on this guy to actually form an honest opinion on him. I/we do know the other guys I've mentioned.

This system never worked well without having the games most dominate players using it.

The league has evolved and I wanted players to go along with what we have on the team. You win more when you build around your player’s potential…not by trying to build up players to fit within an aged system. I’m not so sure if melo, the triangle, and Porzingis will mess well, not yet. But, I can easily imagine the players I’ve mentioned playing well with melo…no matter what system we’re playing under. It’s a simple read, just check the dates and the posting times to get a better understanding on how this discussion started and where it’s at now. I’m sure you’re figure it out after that...

Broadway

All Star
Yeah Broadway, glad to see that someone gets it.

@htr10, Speaking for myself… the bulk of my essay’s are just clarifications to my original post in this thread. The replies to that post were made after we have gotten some much needed footage of Porzingis (mainly in SL). And... that there were other players out there that will mesh well with mello within and without this dated system… that will most likely disappear once Phil leaves here in about 2 to 3 years.

We all know how melo plays, and the guys I’ve mentioned will fit well with his playing style. For the triangle…Porzingis appears to be a good fit (logically). But we have very little on this guy to actually form an honest opinion on him. I/we do know the other guys I've mentioned.

This system never worked well without having the games most dominate players using it.

The league has evolved and I wanted players to go along with what we have on the team. You win more when you build around your player’s potential…not by trying to build up players to fit within an aged system. I’m not so sure if melo, the triangle, and Porzingis will mess well, not yet. But, I can easily imagine the players I’ve mentioned playing well with melo…no matter what system we’re playing under. It’s a simple read, just check the dates and the posting times to get a better understanding on how this discussion started and where it’s at now. I’m sure you’re figure it out after that...

I'm totally following you although you and I would probably pick different paths vs other fans when coming to a fork in the road. You bring up such an interesting dynamic reflecting on past, observing the present, and projecting to the future.

If we take out the fact Melo has an ugly conditional contract situation.....do you honestly see the triangle system taking his game to another level? Most Knick fans still feel he's the best "pure scorer"<------Melol(never have understood what the means)...so you could say Phil has an elite level talent in a trumped up successful system that you feel is outdated(I do too, to an extent). If he's won in the past with elite level talent exclusively but the system isn't proving to make Melo any more lethal than he's been in the past, then we have 1 of 2 if not both cruxes not working in our favor.

1- Melo really isn't ELITE(he's not)

and/or

2- The system truly only had so much value to begin with(debatable)

I'm not one seeing how the players we have currently "Work with Melo" and I want players who'll work well aside from Melo and system. Here's what we do know the media recently held interviews with Phil about the current parts added to the team, and they've come to the conclusion the pieces have been added to complement Melo's game. Not what I want to see as a fan, but I guess for the sake of any possibility of success it might work. Since we know Melo isn't Elite then we have to default to the next best option....which at this point has to be #kporzee.

The Triangle system has only worked with Elite level players(players who proved to be head an shoulders better than their counterparts-contemporaries GOATS). Therefore #kporzee once again, has to be as Clarence Gaines told Phil "A Once In A Lifetime" talent to select. I don't see this in his game personally, I do see a pretty good talent, but not that.

Needless to say Ian Begley and others in the media have been tracking the current functions of the Triangle and they are noticing more and more tweaking incorporating other stuff during SL.

They feel in large it may have to do with the talent on our team, #kporzee factoring greatly. I have no problem if adjustments are being made(I welcome it) say we went from 100% triangle centric to an 80-20 split. It still irks me Phil couldn't come to grips with fully adjusting for other prospects if change was welcomed. In the end it comes back to Triangle and #kporzee being incredibly special.

Please continue to post more, the board needs it.