6 Knicks + The thread that never ends

Who's to blame for the state of the Knicks?

• Total voters

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Great Thread 8's!

Allow me to offer a different pespective. I think the fact that The Knicks will not be able to sign a big FA will result in us being a better team down the road.

Think about it....like you said a Max FA leaves us with 9 million + the MLE to fill our roster. Frankly no MAX FA is good enough to make the other six players on our roster better than an 6th seed.

See my theory is that we systematically put together a roster of players earning between 2.5 and 7 million to build a solid foundation with cap room down the road.

First order of Buisness is to trade Wilson for a sound SG or PG.

side note, this has nothing to do with Wilson's play this season, he is still my favorite Knick, I think he will come on strong as the seaon progresses, but he and Gallo dont mix tho

I have suggested trading Wilson for Courtney Lee in the past, so lets just use him for arguments sake.

Then we invest 13 of the 27 million in resigning Lee and Harrington, Id say 7.5 to David and 5.5 to Al.

Next we get a legit NBA PG, my pick here is TJ Ford for 8 of the remaining 14 million. Other PG notables are Raymond Felton and Blake, although I like Blake as a backup, more on that later.

Then we sign a backup PG for a 2.5 million one year. Earl Watson, Anthony Carter, or Telfair could all be had for this price. Or get Blake for 4.5

Then we chill! We use the remaining 3.5 or 1.5 to fill out our the roster with players making the league minimum

These modest moves instantly makes us better, while they will not make us a contender overnight they will give us improvement, a good core, a bright future with future cap room

Ford/2.5 backup or Blake
Courtney Lee/Douglas
Gallo/Harrington/Jefferies
D. Lee/Jefferies/Harrington
Curry/Hill/Jefferies

Still a horrible defensive frontcourt, but, the players around Curry should help him do well in the post. Ford and Lee are not an outstanding backcourt, but is a very sound one. Curry and Jefferies will come off the books the following seaon which after player salary increases for 2011 should give the Knicks about 12 million in cap plus the MLE to continue to improve in the 2011 off season. Hopefully Hill and Douglas continue to improve and we should be good.

Do you think Walsh waits two years to spend money and he gets this lineup in 2010? That would be insane and sorry for you to even post that crap.

ANU

Starter
I seriously doubt Lebron will leave Cleveland too.

I really believe D Wade wants out of Miami.... Seriously, no matter how brilliantly he plays, they just continuously fall short of being anything more than a decent team.

I think it's highly likely that we can entice the Flash to NY. He seems dejected this year IMO.

Also,if he's going to compete with LBJ for fame and fortune, he's gotta come to the apple and amplify his own hype...The noise would be ****ing deafening.

Miami are putting aside a lot of cap space for next year though.... They're 2nd in line to us as far as I know... And it's not like Pat Riley isn't a savvy old bastard.

DWade in NY.... Massive....
2 things about signing wade.

1.it would be nice to get back at pat riley for leaving the way he did.
2.it would be awesome taking miami's franchise player.

but personally, i honestly see new york 3rd in his preferences behind miami and chicago.i wouldn't mind him.but the way he plays he's bound to get hurt again and he'll be 28.gallo is 21.i'd much rather have a younger guy to build around a long with gallinari.which is why i posted those ridiculous trades to gain 2 first round picks in hopes that we could get younger players with great upside.donn't get me wrong I'd be down for ade, and he looks a little more likely than lebron to come here, i would just rather have a young team.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I forgot he's from Chicago. That's a point. I'd say he's (DWADE) actually in better condition than Gallinari even at 7 years his elder. Easily so. A back injury at 21.... Not a good thing at all.

But you're right, going on 29 is pretty old for a rebuilding Knick team.

I love Gallo's game, but I think he'll end up roughly along the same line as say a Danny Manning or a Grant Hill where that career injury stops him from unveiling his best for any lengthy period of time. And he's obviously struggling to get up to full pace even now. Fingers crossed he'll be alright naturally, but I can't see him being a 10-12 year vet and still playing high quality ball once that back kicks in again.

All just negative guess work I know, but I've just had a nasty feeling about Gallo's future health since we signed him. We saw what a back injury did to Larry Bird. ****ing crippled him.

ANU

Starter
i feel the same way about his health 8's.which is why i wouldn't be against dealing him for the top draft pick this year.i don't think that outside of wall, there is anyone who's better than gallo at this stage and age so i think that's what his value is(top 3 pick).his health is a concern and it would be a pity if it hindered him for the rest of his career.i think he could be the knicks derek jeter.

Kiyaman

Legend
Question

Being lazy, I'm gonna ask rather than pursue this question.​

If the cap is estimated to be approximately $14m below the luxury tax threshold next year, then just how far over the cap can we go?​

Can we teeter on the edge of the Luxury Tax (**** those 2 words just don't go together) and wink at Stern saying "You're a wanker" and ride off into the sunset?​

Or is the cap as ball and chainish as it sounds? I have no idea?:69:​

Crazy8.....Super great thread "Big Props"

If the salary cap is set at say 53.6M and the Knicks renounce their free agents and have say 23.5M in cap space, then that's it. They cannot go over the cap.

So, it is as "ball and chainish" as it sounds.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Cheers Kiya....

So renunciation of all players that'll become free agents voids going over the cap and means we're stuck at the cap threshold to the dollar? That's weird.... What if we kept our current roster? Surely that doesn't or wouldn't change the circumstances.... Random.... I'm completely discombobulated... been waiting to use that word....

GetRealistic

Starter
YOu can go over the slary cap and pay the luxury tax when resiging our own players. So if we say sign a lebron or any other free agent we have to do that first because we can't go over the cap on a free agent signing. But if we were to sign lebron and some other mid level free agent. We could go over the cap signing one of our own players. Now we obviously couldn't resign them all but we could resign one and go into the luxury tax if that was something dolan was willing to do.

Kiyaman

Legend
Cheers Kiya....

So renunciation of all players that'll become free agents voids going over the cap and means we're stuck at the cap threshold to the dollar? That's weird.... What if we kept our current roster? Surely that doesn't or wouldn't change the circumstances.... Random.... I'm completely discombobulated... been waiting to use that word....

The Knicks have to renounce all their free agents in order to maximize their cap space. Otherwise the free agents have cap holds, in order to maintain their bird rights.

What if the Knicks kept the current roster? Then sure, they can go over the cap all they want. They can go over the luxury tax all they want as well. It would have made the whole cap space clearing plan completely pointless.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The Knicks have to renounce all their free agents in order to maximize their cap space. Otherwise the free agents have cap holds, in order to maintain their bird rights.

What if the Knicks kept the current roster? Then sure, they can go over the cap all they want. They can go over the luxury tax all they want as well. It would have made the whole cap space clearing plan completely pointless.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Really? Amazing! I can't believe that's the first I'd ever heard of that... Oh well thanks for telling me... Appreciate it.....

Jesus!

So, say we did trade Jefferies and Curry and had NO players going into free agency in 2010/2011, then we could go over the cap because we have nothing to renounce?

So in other words we could sign say Chris Paul in 2011 because without any free agents to renounce in 2010 we have the ability to go over the cap the very next year?

I'm sure there are more loopholes and red tape... I'm gonna have a look into it because I'm getting payed $200 a day to be on holiday for the next month....Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Thanks Kiya

New New York

Quiet Storm
Do you think Walsh waits two years to spend money and he gets this lineup in 2010? That would be insane and sorry for you to even post that crap.

If you knew how to read I offered a perfectly logical reason as to why we would play it consevative.

Reason being is that even though we have the most cap space in 2010, it still is not enough to put together a championship contender, my suggestion is that preserve as much cap space until the new CBA, which will likely give teams more flexability.

See the problem is that some Knick fans are so damn shallow in their thinking that they have tunnel vision and think that 2010 is going to bring about this great turn around for sure, when the likely case will be the big time FA's all signing with their current team!

The fans that are sitting around waiting to strike it big in 2010 are the same fans that count on us getting the #1 pick every year we are in the lottery!

See my "insane" suggestion is in fact more likey how 2010 plays out for us

Thanks.

Kiyaman

Legend
If you knew how to read I offered a perfectly logical reason as to why we would play it consevative.

Reason being is that even though we have the most cap space in 2010, it still is not enough to put together a championship contender, my suggestion is that preserve as much cap space until the new CBA, which will likely give teams more flexability.

See the problem is that some Knick fans are so damn shallow in their thinking that they have tunnel vision and think that 2010 is going to bring about this great turn around for sure, when the likely case will be the big time FA's all signing with their current team!

The fans that are sitting around waiting to strike it big in 2010 are the same fans that count on us getting the #1 pick every year we are in the lottery!

See my "insane" suggestion is in fact more likey how 2010 plays out for us

Thanks.

Funny.....with so much truth