A.i. Might Come To Newyork!!!!!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. Frank Isola of the Daily News reported that the Knicks had explored interest in signing Iverson.

He'll get to be the first option, and odds are he'll make a ton of money via endorsements in NYC so he'll have no problem playing here. Looks like we'll be seeing our answer to the questions we've been having...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
**** it we might as well. Just so pretending to be interested has a more convincing angle.

What've we got to lose?

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'm sure AI would much rather play in NY. I know the team is awful but he probably believes he can make us relevant again.

nyk_nyk

All Star
If he does come th NY then who would be the odd man out? We have Hughes, TD, Nate and Duhorn. I'm guessing TD and Nate will be safe. Hughes should retain minutes because of his size and defense alone. DUHORN, ENJOY THE BENCH.

Iverson
Hughes
Gallo
Lee
Curry

or

Hughes
Iverson
Chandler
Lee
Curry

If he does come th NY then who would be the odd man out? We have Hughes, TD, Nate and Duhorn. I'm guessing TD and Nate will be safe. Hughes should retain minutes because of his size and defense alone. DUHORN, ENJOY THE BENCH.

Iverson
Hughes
Gallo
Lee
Curry

or

Hughes
Iverson
Chandler
Lee
Curry
Hughes at pg? err no. More likely Douglas starts there with Hughes backing AI off the bench.

Paul1355

All Star
This might might really happen

Iverson's an Answer Because Knicks Ask Desperate Questions

Knicks need what Iverson offers

By JOSH ALPER

Updated 11:19 AM EST, Tue, Nov 17, 2009

<!--endclickprintinclude--> <script language="javascript1.2">var trkcid=70270332;var partnerID=525232; var _hb=1;</script><script language="javascript1.2" src="http://www.nbcnewyork.com/g/g/button/button_1.js"></script><script language="JavaScript"> window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.location.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href; </script>
<!-- start print include --> Print <!-- end print include --> <!-- start email include --> <script language="javascript1.2">var trkcid=70270332;var partnerID=525232; var _hb=1;</script><script language="javascript1.2" src="http://www.nbcnewyork.com/g/g/button/button_1.js"></script><script language="JavaScript"> window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.location.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href; </script> Email <!-- end email include --> <!-- start share include --> <script src="http://www.nbcnewyork.com/includes/position.js" language="javascript" type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> function position(o) { var pos = Position.get(o); Position.set('share_box',pos); } </script><!-- // start nbc_share_icon \\ --> Share <!-- \\ end nbc_share_icon // --> <!-- end share include --> <script type="text/javascript">yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = "Iverson's an Answer Because Knicks Ask Desperate Questions";</script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge2.js" badgetype="text">nbc_new_york197:http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Iversons-an-Answer-Because-Knicks-Ask-Desperate-Questions-70270332.html</script>Buzz up! <!-- end buzz include --> TWITTER <!-- end post to twitter include --> <style type="text/css"> .postToFBArticlePage { background:transparent url(http://media.nbclocalmedia.com/designimages/facebook.gif) no-repeat scroll 0 0; display:block; float:left; height:14px; padding-right:5px; width:70px; text-align:right; } .postToFBArticlePage span { padding-top:0px; margin-top:3px; display:block; } #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage span, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage span { margin-top: 0px; } #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a:link, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a:visited, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a:link, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a:visited { color:#C3C7C7; } </style> <script> // also publish comment to Facebook nbc.fbparamshare = { contentTitle: "Iverson's an Answer Because Knicks Ask Desperate Questions", contentUrl: "http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Iversons-an-Answer-Because-Knicks-Ask-Desperate-Questions-70270332.html?__source=Facebook", contentThumbUrl: "http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/100*75/allen-iverson-1117c.jpg", bundleId: "104938618682", contentType: "article", summary: "The Knicks shouldn't need Allen Iverson, but they do.", moodStatus: "Allen Iverson joining the Knicks" }; </script> FACEBOOK <script src="http://www.nbcnewyork.com/includes/nbc_post_fb.js?r=2009-10-29" language="javascript" type="text/javascript"></script> <!-- end post to facebook include -->

<!--startclickprintinclude--> <script type="text/javascript"> $(document).ready(function(){ $('#jqm_wrp_1') .jqDrag('.jqDrag') .jqm({ trigger: '#jqm_trg_1', ajax: 'http://www.nbcnewyork.com/i/dispatcher/?command=LoadImage&id=26369667&caption=', target: '#jqm_cont_1', overlay: 0, onShow: function(h) { h.w.css('opacity',1).fadeIn("fast"); G.doPixelTracking(83); }, onHide: function(h) { h.w.fadeOut("fast",function() { if(h.o) h.o.remove(); }); } }); }); </script>

<!-- // IMAGE OVERLAY \\ -->
allen-iverson.jpg

<!-- \\ IMAGE OVERLAY // -->
Moments after news broke about Allen Iverson parting ways with the Grizzlies, Donnie Walsh admitted that the Knicks would explore signing the Answer to help their hopeless crew. It sounds like something out of an Isiah Thomas fever dream, which makes sense because this Knicks team looks as bad or worse than any that Thomas put together. That's sad, but it's even sadder that the Knicks actally need Iverson to even make a show of competing on the court this season.
He'll play hard, something that Mike D'Antoni can't seem to convince his current crop of players to do on a regular basis. He's been a bit of a malcontent the last couple of seasons, but a lot of that had to do with his role as a bench player. That won't happen in New York, not with Chris Duhon steaming toward unanimous selection as the worst guard in the NBA.
He'll also try to take the ball to the rim now and again, which will probably make some Garden regulars faint from shock. No, he doesn't get there as often as he did in the good old days but he gets there more often than anyone on D'Antoni's crew of guys who are only too happy to settle for a contested jump shot. And while he'll take a lot of shots, he still averaged more assists than anyone on the Knicks is mustering right now and should probably provide Danilo Gallinari with quite a few open looks from three if he can attck the lane.
On some teams there might be concern about Iverson's distaste for practice and what that might impart to the younger Knicks. D'Antoni's teams don't have epic sessions, though, and it's hard to see where Iverson would limit the growth potential of Toney Douglas or Gallinari. In fact, Douglas seems like a good fit for the role Eric Snow played beside Iverson when the Sixers went to the NBA Finals. At any rate, he's not going to stunt their devolpment any more than Al Harrington or Larry Hughes so it's kind of a moot point.
Right now the big hopes for the Knicks getting better on the court are moving Jared Jeffries into the starting lineup for Wilson Chandler while banking on comeback attempt umpteen from Eddy Curry. If you've watched the Knicks the last few years, you know that doesn't add up to wins. Passing on Iverson in the offseason made sense because they could sell better things to come, but now it's hard to see the Knicks winning 20 games without a serious boost in talent.
There are a couple of other ways Iverson makes sense. Iverson would provide some excitement to a Garden scene that might get real ugly as people stop coming just to boo the increasingly pathetic product the Knicks provide. Iverson won't make them a playoff team, but he will make them more watchable. And Iverson is represented by Leon Rose, whose other big client goes by the name of LeBron James. It remains a pipe dream, but it's our pipe dream and we're sticking to it.
That's pretty sad this deep into Walsh and D'Antoni's tenure, but it's true. The fact that Iverson, a proud player who doesn't have many years left, would actually come to New York instead of swallowing a bench role on a team with hope is equally sad. Things don't have to be happy to make sense, though, and an Iverson-Knicks marriage fits the criteria.

richtree

Rotation player
<TABLE class=tborder id=post104021 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_104021 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid">He can't fit in anywhere and will only my a mockery of his teammates and coaches in the post game press conferences.

Also, this will hinder Douglas's progress, as he will lose alot of mintues.

The only positve out of this is maybe Knicks win 2 extra games or so throughout the year.

Their are 10 negatives for having him. This goes against everything Walsh and D'Antoni have stood for and contradicts the Marbury break-up.

The Knicks sign Iverson it would take them into "circus" mode and if D'Antoni feels he lost the team now, imagine after Iverson and his entourage are in NYC.

Donnie does this I lose a ton of respect for him. Be a man take the lumps and rebuild for next year.
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid">
user_online.gif
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbrep_register("104021")</SCRIPT> </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->
progress.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mafra

Legend
PG: Iverson
SG: Chandler
SF: Gallinari
PF: Harrington
C: Lee

Douglas as the 6 man

At this point, something needs to be done. This season would be a complete disaster if we hand Utah a top-3 draft pick. The fans also deserve more.

BUT, the real issue is this: Wilson Chandler & Danillo Gallinari would be hurt by a 15-23 win season. That sort of losing stamps a sense of helplessness that we would be best to avoid.

The main thing the Knicks lack is having THAT GUY who will control the ball and create his own offense. N8 and Harrington are the closest thing we have to that but they are WAY too inconsistent to be relied on.

HOWEVER, we do have Eddie Curry returning. There's the connundrum. Might we be better served just slowing things down and dumping down to Eddie. Let him get 18-20 points a night and HOPE to trade him by the deadline? Would Iverson help here?

I BRING IVERSON IN ON ONE CONDITION: You better bring it 100%. I give him financial incentive to make practice. I tell him after DEN, DET & MEM his rep has taken a huge hit. He should be a HOF player, but is he willing to go out with a whimper? OR....

Is Iverson willing to come here. START. Be the man, run the offense. We'll grant his wishes there. On the lone condition that he gives this organization EVERYTHING for six months. This means practicing and mentoring. Be the warrior off the court he is on the court. We'll allow him to do WHATEVER on the court as long as he agrees to be a team player off the court.

Let's give Chandler, Gallo, Hill & Douglas something to play for other than their own personal growth.

Start Iverson, Harrington, Gallinari, Lee & Curry.
Bring N8, Douglas, Chandler, Hill, Darko, Jeffires, Duhon, Landry off the bench.

Let Hughes go. Let him latch on a competitive team, if he can, so he can move on. Try to trade Jeffries & Curry ASAP (so we can work Darko in and see if he can contribute moving fwd).

Finally, try to deal Lee and N8 and get something for them.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Steve Nash is still productive.
Jason Kidd is still productive.
AI still has it. Granted he's not a true PG, but he will do it better than duhon.
AI in this system will be fun to watch. I say **** it,let's do it.

p0nder

Starter
This move makes absolute sense and if the Knicks don't do it I'll be giving up on this season.

How could they possibly pass up a GREAT VETERAN PG that FITS PERFECTLY INTO THE SSOL SYSTEM??? FOR THE MINIMUM???? AND IT"S A.I.!!!

A.I. is one of the greatest guards to ever have graced the court. He is absolutely a competitive monster and has almost single handedly brought the 76ers to the finals (ok so he had a special guy named Dekembe Mutumbo). His jersey sales are consistently in the top 10 (i'll buy one!) He'll sell tickets. He'll flourish in all the attention. He'll START. He can actually earn some respect in the biggest media market and once again become a star. He'll drop hip hop albums with Nas and 50. He'll shake hands with Jay-Z and fist bump Will Farrell. He'll give the young Knicks guards someone to learn from and he'll feed the ball to Lee, Harrington and Gallo

Most importantly he'll win games. He'll give the Knicks a reason to believe and the fans something to cheer for. NY needs it. And without a better showing from the rest of the season you can forget any big name FA coming to town.

Sign A.I. NOW.

Red

TYPE-A
Eh.... I will be bringing in Iverson to play (starting) Shooting Guard. T-Doug is my point guard. This relegates Hughes/Chandler/N8 to the bench (and Duhon). Starting 5: T-Doug, AI, Gallo, Hill and Curry. Yes again motherf*ckers... HILL and CURRY should Start! IMO (as stated) Doug is > Duhon, AI is > all other sg's we have, Gallo and Hill need minutes/experience, and Curry can maybe make a diff. but more importantly THIS IS OUR LAST/BEST OPPORTUNITY TO SHOWCASE HIM! We must do it now or never while he is in shape, before we really go into a hole. With Hill and Curry you will FORCE Gallo (the best shooter ever)/AI/ Douglas to step up and carry us- think about it.

Red

TYPE-A
u want to showcase this fat-fuk... put him in a McDonalds commercial....

Yo...

10 pts 4rebs in 12min

And on the trading block =

Mo' Minutes For Curry!:thumbsup:

When the opportunity presents itself...

(Curry in shape ready for minutes/ showcasing)

we'll take it!

tiger0330

Legend
I mentioned Orlando as an attractive situation for AI. Heard they are going to stand pat for the 6 weeks Jameer is out and not bring in another PG. Our 2 biggest position holes are the 5 and 1 hole, AI would be better than anything we have at PG and hopefully Curry can help at C.

Paul1355

All Star
Our 2nd win might give us no AI

For some reason Mike D and Walsh will feel like this team is just fine because they beat an injured Pacers team. If Danny Granger played most of the 3rd quarter and did not foul out in the 4th, I gurantee we would have lost this game to make it 1-10.

If Iverson is not signed, it will be because Mike D and Donnie will have a surge of confidence and hope for "playoffs" with this one amazing win.