Apparently we released Corey Brewer

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
Because D'antoni wasnt going to play them and these guys are younger and would be disgruntled and cause an uproar in the locker room. Roger Mason gladly will be inactive with Andy Rautins and offer these guys some advice.

I initially didnt agree with it but if it means getting JJ and Troy Murphy then I am all for it. I just never want to see Balkman on the floor again, and really would rather the Knicks sign a D-Leaguer then get Dan Gadzuric.

KingofNy

Starter
Because D'antoni wasnt going to play them and these guys are younger and would be disgruntled and cause an uproar in the locker room. Roger Mason gladly will be inactive with Andy Rautins and offer these guys some advice.

I initially didnt agree with it but if it means getting JJ and Troy Murphy then I am all for it. I just never want to see Balkman on the floor again, and really would rather the Knicks sign a D-Leaguer then get Dan Gadzuric.

We're not getting Murphy, you can forget about that right now. He's already got this plane tickets to Miami.

We got a whole bunch of teams lining up to pick up the players we waived/bought out. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

KingofNy

Starter

We got rid of Azu and Brewer for a guy that wouldn't even start in the D-League (Rautins) and guy that can barely run up the court without tripping over himself (Balkman) all because Dumbtoni didn't want to give them a chance. Total BS if you ask me.

STAT1

Starter
Why waive Azubuike and Brewer when we could've waived Mason Jr.? I could see waiving Azubuike if his injury really did not improve, but Brewer?

I don't understand it either. Completely headscratcher move. Brewer was a RFA this summer we owned his Bird Rights, we could have used him as an asset in a trade. The Celtics, Spurs, Mavericks and Thunder are all interested in Brewer you telling me we couldn't have gotten at least a 2nd round pick or 2 from those teams if we decided to trade him? I gave Donnie props for the Melo trade but this one just doesn't make any sense to me.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The only way it works is if Donnie somehow picks up a huge player with it.

If we somehow get a guy like Troy Murphy or Joel Przybilla then I'll eat my words. I also want to see if we can go after Dan Gradzuric or Sean Williams but...

STAT1

Starter
The only way it works is if Donnie somehow picks up a huge player with it.

If we somehow get a guy like Troy Murphy or Joel Przybilla then I'll eat my words. I also want to see if we can go after Dan Gradzuric or Sean Williams but...

You can pretty much assume we're signing Jared Skinny. Who the other guy will be to take Buike's roster spot is anyone's guess but I would have rather held onto a trade asset than to let him go for nothing & end up with some scrub that likely won't see the light of day off the bench anyway. If MDA has such little interest in playing Shelden Williams then why not buy him out & replace him w/a big he WILL play & keep Brewer? or Roger Mason? Come on Donnie.

TakMan

Rotation player
Fecking Brilliant

I don't see a reason for even debating the element of absolute self-destructiveness behind this decision. Two young and talented players who could contribute both defensively and offensively have been dropped in favour of what?? The prospect of signing average 30 year old's? Looks like that Heat victory may have given some false indicators to the Knicks leadership. The fact that the Knicks beat the Heat twice is separate from the team's serious lack of defensive options and general depth. As if giving away 3/5 of the team's starting lineup wasn't enough, now they are just decimating what youth and potential was left in the squad.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't understand it either. Completely headscratcher move. Brewer was a RFA this summer we owned his Bird Rights, we could have used him as an asset in a trade. The Celtics, Spurs, Mavericks and Thunder are all interested in Brewer you telling me we couldn't have gotten at least a 2nd round pick or 2 from those teams if we decided to trade him? I gave Donnie props for the Melo trade but this one just doesn't make any sense to me.
Makes no sense, I'm not going to believe it until it becomes official. So we give up AR, Curry and $3M to get Brewer and a week later buy him out for a couple of mill??? I'm thinking this is just bad reporting.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I hope that this is just a rumour or bad reporting because if it`s true then this is horrible.

Why are some of the best teams in the NBA lining up to take Brewer, because he`s not good enough ???? He`s not good enough to play for the Knicks but he is good enough to play for some of the elite teams in the NBA ????? These moves make no sense.

Please,please let it be wrong.

Well Brewer is still on the roster on the official Knicks website, Azubuike is not.

Maybe it was just a rumor, but even if not - MDA won't play him anyway so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I don't care who we give up and who we sign - all I want is to win.

Dolan has set this team up for immediate succes with that Denver trade. Forget rebuilding or constant improvement. He want's instant success and that means Conference Finals (at least) by the end of next season and a good playoff run (2nd round) this season.

The decision itself is debatable and it'll take time to say whether it has been a success or not, but right now I like the fact that we are an elite team with 3 superstars on it. Who knows we might even get Chris Paul for Chauncey Billups in the summer.

Forget all the talking about our depth. Miami don't have depth. Boston don't have much depth either after the trade with OKC, Chicago have a barrage of mediocre players on their bench...if you call that depth...fine.

Orlando are a 1 man team with sporadic support from a B-class point guard.
Arenas is a bust, Hedo is a bust.

If we can put together a whole playoff series with the same effort we have shown against Miami - we're a legitimate contender for the Conference Finals. There is no team in the East with more offensive talent than us. All depends on defense, if our 2 superstars play defense we are a very very good team.

We even have the luxury to send out a pure defensive lineup now with Turiaf, Balkman, Fields, Carter, Douglas. These guys did a great job for us in the second quarter against Miami.

Azubuike and Brewer wouldn't have played anyway under D'Antoni. If he and Donnie think it's better to get Gadzuric and we knock the Bulls out and give the Celtics a hot ride in the 2nd round than I'm all for it.

You cannot develop players while having 3 superstars who are in 'win now or never' mode on your roster. It just doesn't work. The development plan was thrown aboard the day we made that trade with Denver.

STAT1

Starter
Who knows we might even get Chris Paul for Chauncey Billups in the summer.

Azubuike and Brewer wouldn't have played anyway under D'Antoni. If he and Donnie think it's better to get Gadzuric and we knock the Bulls out and give the Celtics a hot ride in the 2nd round than I'm all for it.

The point isn't whether we should sign someone like Gadzuric. You can still do that by buying out other guys that never see playing time on this team that have no value in potential future trades. Mason, Shelden, Buike, all 3 of those guys are UFA's this summer anyway they no longer carry any value to us if MDA isn't planning on using them. Buying Brewer out makes no sense because he's still a RFA that teams are obviously interested in. We could have used him as a piece to trade this summer along with someone like Turiaf & the rights to whoever we selected with our 1st rounder, maybe package that to the Clips for someone like Deandre Jordan? There were options available to us to use Brewer, I don't see any possible logic towards buying Brewer out. I don't even care if MDA hated the guy's guts, just leave him inactive a-la Eddie Curry if you really want to go that route. Just don't throw him away for nothing. That's just stupid.

TakMan

Rotation player
Well Brewer is still on the roster on the official Knicks website, Azubuike is not.

I'm guessing Brewer is still on the roster due to his photo only appearing on the site a couple of days back. I'm sure the site maintenance people assumed they were about to fall victims of a distasteful joke when told to remove his pic, seconds after they put it up.

vrgadin

Benchwarmer
I'm starting not to trust Donnie... If it were up to Donnie we wouldn't even have Melo and Billups now and AR and Brewer would of both had a chance to prove themselves on the court before being traded/bought-out. This decision really boggles me...

There better be a good reason a.k.a Troy Murphy for us to release him over guys like "never seen the court" Rautins or "I can't hit a shot if my life depended on it" Balkman, otherwise this move will go down as a failure under Donnie's belt. People act like Donnie's a God or something. He made a few good moves and got us under the cap but now's the time to pick up some role players and it seems like he's not aggressive in picking up pieces to help us this season. I mean we could of had a good proven Big (Earl Barron) and he ends up signing with the Bucks because Walsh sat on the opportunity. I think he's so used to saving money that he's afraid to go out and get us any help.

I for one am thankful for what Walsh has done but I definitely won't be sad when he's gone. He's getting old anyways, maybe it's time to get a younger GM as long as his first name isn't Isiah.

if it were up to donnie we wouldnt have melo? really? you hang out with the guy? he your uncle or some sh**?

NOT TRUE donnie got the team where it is today, anyone who thinks its just Dolan and zeke runnin things needs to get a clue

Toons

is the Bo$$
this is a bad move.....essentially we traded

eddy curry, anthony randolph, corey brewer & azubuike for brown and jefferies.

not a good look. we could have scored a nice centre with that package

welcometonycity

Rotation player
this is a bad move.....essentially we traded

eddy curry, anthony randolph, corey brewer & azubuike for brown and jefferies.

not a good look. we could have scored a nice centre with that package

I agreee man. Wtf is going on broooooooo. Can someone explain these moves?? Im loo0o00000oost

tiger0330

Legend
Only thing I can see that made Donnie trade Brewer was Brewer was not going to be happy with his role and playing time on the team and he requested his buyout. Probably gave Donnie a discount to get his freedom just like Bibby did.

Donnie has been known to do that, he's a players GM ie giving Jonathan Bender a look last season, hiring Mas to train Curry etc. Just wish he could have gotten Pekovic instead of Brewer for Curry/Randolph.

Blas

Benchwarmer
I posted this on the D. Brown thread:

To help you guys understand who this kid is:

1) He is an athletic freak. He posted very similar numbers to Tyrus Thomas at his combine.

2) He has a very high Basketball IQ.

3) His true shooting percentage is pretty good and he doesn't take horrible shots UNLIKE Corey Brewer.

4) Amazing work ethic. Works really hard has a great attitude.

5) A good Man Defender. Comparably as good or better then Brewer was.

Don't freak out because you don't know anything about the kid.

STAT1

Starter
I posted this on the D. Brown thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas
To help you guys understand who this kid is:

1) He is an athletic freak. He posted very similar numbers to Tyrus Thomas at his combine.

2) He has a very high Basketball IQ.

3) His true shooting percentage is pretty good and he doesn't take horrible shots UNLIKE Corey Brewer.

4) Amazing work ethic. Works really hard has a great attitude.

5) A good Man Defender. Comparably as good or better then Brewer was.

Don't freak out because you don't know anything about the kid.

Signing this guy is besides the point, buying Corey Brewer out just makes no sense, we could have & should have bought out Roger Mason Jr. if anything. He would not have been a trade asset for us & likely would never be used by MDA. His presence here is obsolete. At the very least Corey Brewer is an intriguing piece to own for possible trades down the road, whether he gets any playing time or not. I just cannot understand why he was bought out other than possibly MDA lobbying for it to happen. Maybe he didn't like his practice habits & didn't want it to rub off on his teammates, I dunno just trying to come up with SOME kind of logic that might attempt to explain a seemingly nonsensical move.

KingofNy

Starter
if it were up to donnie we wouldnt have melo? really? you hang out with the guy? he your uncle or some sh**?

NOT TRUE donnie got the team where it is today, anyone who thinks its just Dolan and zeke runnin things needs to get a clue

Bullcrap. Did you listen to his interview on 1050 directly after the trade? He didn't want to take credit for it. He directly took credit for the Amare deal and for fixing our cap but never did he say anything other than "the three of them worked closely on the deal". He admitted that he didn't want to give up what we gave up. Put 2 and 2 together, I know you're smarter than that. This trade wouldn't of went down if it was SOLELY Donnie's decision? Get real.

Also, I don't like Isiah just as much as the next guy but to treat Walsh like he's some God is going overboard. The guy is responsible for managing Antoni and he needs to put his foot down when the coach isn't playing good players in his rotation and is forcing his assets out the door. It's happening, believe what you want. He is also responsible for not providing our team with a big when their were plently available for the picking. Add that to releasing Brewer and Azu before even getting a chance to see them on the floor and that goes down as the biggest mistake of his tenure. The guy is handling easy moves and missing every shot at getting this team some depth like a Anthony Carter misses 3's.