Breaking News: David Griffin on verge of becoming next NYK GM

mafra

Legend
Yeah, Mills Ian the going to relinquish power. Maybe we should offer Chauncey some
Money and try to get him? Or find a hot asst Gm

Maybe we could ask Tim Hardaway Jr to be our GM in his spare time. It would make his salary seem more reasonable.

mafra

Legend
Firing Phil Jackson only enabled another henchman to ruin Knicks

By Mike Vaccaro

http://nypost.com/2017/07/09/firing-phil-jackson-only-enabled-another-henchman-to-ruin-knicks/

It is perpetual midnight around the Knicks, a darkness that knows no bounds and respects no borders. It is a cruel truth for a city that feels as deeply and as passionately about basketball as New York does. We might call these desperate hours if not for the fact this mess is way, way, way past desperate by now.

Maybe David Griffin wasn?t your idea of an ideal choice to be the Knicks? new general manager, and that would certainly be a fair opinion. The Cavaliers won an NBA title on his watch, mostly due to the presence of LeBron James and Kyrie Irving, so you can?t exactly credit him with master-minding a champion.

Still, he?s a career basketball man with a good reputation, and since the Knicks are currently in the market ? or were, allegedly ? for someone with both of those qualifications, it made perfect sense they would meet with him, as they reportedly did this weekend.

But in the perpetual midnight that is the Knicks, it is never enough for a job interview merely to conclude without an agreement. There is always opera music playing in the background, there are always extra levels of drama, there are always the petty turf wars and intractable stances that force a little something extra.

And so when Griffin pulled out of consideration for the job Sunday afternoon, it certainly couldn?t be as simple as two sides not seeing eye-to-eye. Of course it now emerges, thanks to various reports, that Griffin was told he wouldn?t have final say over basketball matters. He was reportedly told he wouldn?t be able to bring his own staff.

So the Knicks, who are in as dire a need for a reboot as any team in any sport has ever been, send this message to Griffin and any other self-respecting basketball lifer who might, in a moment of weakness, ponder trying to fix things at the Garden:

You get a fancy job.

You get a nice salary.

But we get to make the important basketball decisions.

Because that system has worked so well for so long for the Knicks, who have won one playoff series in 17 years. Because it must only be due to a terrible string of luck that all of the good basketball decisions that have come rushing out of Penn Plaza for almost two decades ? the latest an appalling $71 million commitment to Tim Hardaway Jr., whose own team, the Hawks, didn?t even wait the allowed two full days before wishing him well in his future endeavors ? have turned sour.

The Knicks, quite literally, have taken one step up and two steps back in the past few weeks, taking the essential action of ridding themselves of Phil Jackson while at the same time empowering Steve Mills (who, in two separate stints inside James Dolan?s cabinet, has either stood idly by and watched or taken an active role in helping drive the franchise into the dirt) ? and, now, sending a loud and clear message that they don?t need a different voice running the show.

It would be impossible to believe if not for the fact that these are the Knicks, and this is what they do. This is who they are. How mad are the fans? One of them actually managed to hack into Mills? Wikipedia page Sunday, adding this line that probably won?t still be there by the time you try to check it out yourself:
?Mills cemented his legacy as the worst GM in the history of basketball. He single-handedly ? ruined the Knicks? chances of ever winning a championship. It goes without saying, Mills is horrible at his job.?

Which isn?t to say the hacker was wrong, of course.

The truth is Mills looks like just one more empty suit who has managed to curry enough favor to stay at Dolan?s right hand. In just about any endeavor in life, such loyalty would be laudable. In pro sports it?s incendiary. And infuriating. Again: Mills was a loyal lieutenant to Jackson, too. Either he was an unindicted co-conspirator for all of Jackson?s basketball misdemeanors, or his opinion was of such little consequence that he was a nonfactor.

Neither should exactly be the kind of thing you place high on your r?sum?. Unless you?re the Knicks, and you want to frighten off anyone of any consequence or an ounce of competence, insisting you?ll do things your way today, tomorrow, forever. Because it?s always worked so well before, stumbling around in perpetual midnight

and1

Rotation player
Houston wins the this battle against Griffin. Does he win the war and become GM.

yeah, i don't quite get this. i mean, i know the guy wants to bring in his own people, but houston deals with westchester stuff, right? so i guess in a way it does make sense. but i wonder if he wanted IT gone too, even though he's with the liberty. but it still doesn't make sense. you'd hope that they wouldn't have to fire griffin while he's under contract. if griffin ends up doing a good job then there's no reason to not sign him to another contract and houston just has to wait some more. and if houston doesn't like it, he can go find another team to be GM if and when he feels he's got what it takes.
maybe i just don't understand the politics of it, but i do understand this: knicks haven't been doing so well in a long time, for the majority of the years houston and others have been here. maybe it would've been the right move to let him go, right along with some other cats.
my guess is that houston and those other cats have pictures of dolan in a shirley temple dress.
so i guess they just want to bring in a new GM now, just to fill a gap until houston is ready and then let the temp GM go? that's pretty stupid. how long do they have to groom this guy?

mafra

Legend
You have Mills clinging on to dolan demanding president gig; IT still has Dolan's ear (and running lady Liberty squad); and there's Houston as asst GM....

3 years left of Noah, 4/71 for THJr. KP not happy with org, Melo drama....

What GM would want this? It's only attractive if he's allowed to swoop and and have complete control of bball decisions (and brings his own staff).

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks search is supposedly going to focus on asst GM's for the GM spot to work with Mills.
Houston could be promoted under that criteria.

Allan Houston could be named GM, as he has a tight relationship with Mills. Houston was assistant GM before Jackson arrived. Houston is now GM of the developmental league Westchester Knicks but was by Mills? side during the Orlando summer league, hoping for a larger role.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks search is supposedly going to focus on asst GM's for the GM spot to work with Mills.
Houston could be promoted under that criteria.

Houston gets promoted only mean one thing .. Nothing change from the mismanagement Knicks situation.
What do i know bout Steve Mills ....

Steve Mills were vice president of operation when Ernie Grunfield were FIRED in midseason 1999.
Mills refuse to draft Ron Artest for some guy name Weiss .. Mills gave Allan Houston $100M contract.
Mills became a big help in the Ewing Trade.
Mills has been Dolan's advisor on hiring General Managers since Scott Layden to Phil Jackson.

Steve Mills’ decade-long career at The Madison Square Garden Company included his role as president of MSG Sports, during which he oversaw all business operations, including marketing and community relations, for the company’s three professional sports teams and Sports Properties, which included college basketball, boxing, and track and field. Steve originally joined the Knicks as executive vice president of franchise operations in September 1999 and became president of sports teams operations for Madison Square Garden in 2001.

Conclusion .. Steve Mills dont know anything bout NBA Basketball!!!

mafra

Legend
Houston gets promoted only mean one thing .. Nothing change from the mismanagement Knicks situation.
What do i know bout Steve Mills ....

Steve Mills were vice president of operation when Ernie Grunfield were FIRED in midseason 1999.
Mills refuse to draft Ron Artest for some guy name Weiss .. Mills gave Allan Houston $100M contract.
Mills became a big help in the Ewing Trade.
Mills has been Dolan's advisor on hiring General Managers since Scott Layden to Phil Jackson.

Steve Mills’ decade-long career at The Madison Square Garden Company included his role as president of MSG Sports, during which he oversaw all business operations, including marketing and community relations, for the company’s three professional sports teams and Sports Properties, which included college basketball, boxing, and track and field. Steve originally joined the Knicks as executive vice president of franchise operations in September 1999 and became president of sports teams operations for Madison Square Garden in 2001.

Conclusion .. Steve Mills dont know anything bout NBA Basketball!!!

Amen. They duo of dan and mills arguably worst owner-prez duo in North American sports history. And now they get to ruin another decade!

paris401

Starter
between Me-Lo being traded, released, rondo being signed, Griffin being brought in...etc... just wake me when there is real-news... trump is rite... lots of fake-news..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Can we even consider this the Knicks anymore? This goes beyond a few bad years. This organization has become a parody of a basketball team.

mafra

Legend
Yikes:

Bondy: "Mills fits into that trusted circle, having been employed by Dolan for the majority of the last 18 years as a Garden executive. He survived a cacophony of losing seasons, and an embarrassing lawsuit against the Garden from Mills' former hire, Anucha Browne Sanders."

"If the Knicks had any intention of replacing Mills, this deal makes even less sense. In fact, according to a source, the robust commitment to Hardaway Jr. was one of the reasons Griffin decided against continuing his pursuit of the GM opening.

To most, it's a head-scratcher. To Mills, it was the right way to allocate nearly all his cap space this summer.

It's not only a long-term commitment to Hardaway, but a long-term commitment to Mills and his vision."

Broadway

All Star
Yikes:

Bondy: "Mills fits into that trusted circle, having been employed by Dolan for the majority of the last 18 years as a Garden executive. He survived a cacophony of losing seasons, and an embarrassing lawsuit against the Garden from Mills' former hire, Anucha Browne Sanders."

"If the Knicks had any intention of replacing Mills, this deal makes even less sense. In fact, according to a source, the robust commitment to Hardaway Jr. was one of the reasons Griffin decided against continuing his pursuit of the GM opening.

To most, it's a head-scratcher. To Mills, it was the right way to allocate nearly all his cap space this summer.

It's not only a long-term commitment to Hardaway, but a long-term commitment to Mills and his vision."

Ahhhhh so Griffin was the executive who spoke anonymously about our crazy plan 3 days ago.

Mediocre Griffin: "You know I have my personal demands but can I keep it real with you jokers? You know how dumb you guys look right now sugar daddying THJR and Baker to these reported deals?... Are you really sticking with this absurd plan? So these guys are going to get what they want but you won't let me bring in my front office team?

Milly Rock: "Yep!"

Mediocre Griffin: "Alright Deuces It Is!!!!"

mafra

Legend
We all wanted a rebuild.... youth.... here we go, right.

Baker, Ntikilina
THJr, Dotson
LT, Kuz
KP, KOQ
WHG, Noah

I imagine NY will find a taker for Lee in the Melo trade (which i fear we will end up shipping a first rounder with).

tiger0330

Legend
We all wanted a rebuild.... youth.... here we go, right.

Baker, Ntikilina
THJr, Dotson
LT, Kuz
KP, KOQ
WHG, Noah

I imagine NY will find a taker for Lee in the Melo trade (which i fear we will end up shipping a first rounder with).
I draw the line at trading first rounders, in the end if we have to do that I'm back to KISS. Ryno unprotected 2020 first for Melo. We still get several million in cap space with that trade.

mafra

Legend
This could be a good hire but the problem remains Mills is officially Knicks President

The Knicks met with Kings vice president of basketball of operations Scott Perry on Thursday, according to ESPN.com.
The Knicks are still looking to add another front office person to work with general manager Steve Mills. The Kings granted permission to the Knicks to speak with Perry, which shows the team would be OK with a promotion. Perry had a big hand in the 2017 Kings draft and has helped the team get over a couple bad years of unfavorable trades and draft picks.

mafra

Legend
Kings vice president of basketball operations Scott Perry has agreed to terms with the Knicks to become the team's new general manager, according to Vincent Goodwill of CSN Chicago.

The Knicks have apparently found their man. Perry was part of the old Magic front office with Rob Hennigan before shifting to Sacramento. He was only with the Kings for three months, but his steady hand helped the Kings pick up three solid first-round picks and second-round pick Frank Mason. The terms of his role with Steve Mills are still unclear, but it's possible Mills gets promoted to president.