Could Donnie Walsh fold!?!?

STAT1

Starter
I agree, every great team has a closer they can turn to in crunchtime to get the big shots when plays collapse & offenses go to more isolations, which they often do during postseason play especially down the stretch of games. Having Melo doesn't solve all our problems but it fills a huge need for that kind of clutch closer bigshot maker, which he has proven himself to be over the course of his entire career. & certainly the same can be said for Chauncey Billups.

iSaYughh

Starter
The Hill trade has always haunted me; and been the centerpiece of my fears and critique of Walsh.

(along w sitting pat in the draft *to* pick Hill)

I put faith back into Walsh (and the Knicks) early this season.

If we bend over as bad as it seems we might, by backing down in this game of poker to an opponent with inferior position....

This is still a 2 Star League, fundamentally. MIA's three is an anomaly (Bosh isn't even that much of a stud), and they will still scrap against a well-oiled 2 Star Team in a dog fight.

2 Stars, some depth, a legit 6th man threat, one all-star/fringe all star, one really nice complimentary player.

That's a winning formula as much or more as the apocryphal Big Three.

We can achieve that right now by gambling hard vs DEN and playing this to the bone. And even if we fail, can shrewdly build further and pounce even harder and with superior (cba bullshit cleared up) leverage almost right away for Williams/Paul.

The perfect allin semi-bluff for Walsh to execute.

STAT1

Starter
2 Stars, some depth, a legit 6th man threat, one all-star/fringe all star, one really nice complimentary player.

2 Stars: Melo & STAT
some depth: Walker, Douglas, Turiaf, Barron, Mason, Rautins
legit 6th man threat: Williams
one all-star/fringe all star: Billups
one real nice complimentary player: Fields

iSaYughh

Starter
2 Stars: Melo & STAT
some depth: Walker, Douglas, Turiaf, Barron, Mason, Rautins
legit 6th man threat: Williams
one all-star/fringe all star: Billups
one real nice complimentary player: Fields

Rautins/Mason/Barron aren't proven as even being legit adequate bench players. So our depth would be a backup 4/5 with chronic injuries (who would actually be our starting/primary 5...and two young hybrid guards.

The fringe allstar is getting bought out asap, and doesn't want to be here.

I'm still not arguing the trade, as you propose, wouldn't improve us, or our ability to build a winner.

Cowtowing and acqueiescing to a deal now just isn't shrewd game, or our best choice (may still be a good one). And doesn't bode well to the general health of our franchise, given how it's going down between our front office people.

STAT1

Starter
Rautins/Mason/Barron aren't proven as even being legit adequate bench players. So our depth would be a backup 4/5 with chronic injuries (who would actually be our starting/primary 5...and two young hybrid guards.

The fringe allstar is getting bought out asap, and doesn't want to be here.

I'm still not arguing the trade, as you propose, wouldn't improve us, or our ability to build a winner.

Cowtowing and acqueiescing to a deal now just isn't shrewd game, or our best choice (may still be a good one). And doesn't bode well to the general health of our franchise, given how it's going down between our front office people.

Has Billups made it known that he doesn't want to be a Knick? I haven't read anywhere that the Knicks would be buying him out after the trade was made. My assumption is that he'd be our starting PG for the rest of this season at the very least.

D'Antoni plays an 8 or 9-man rotation for the most part, guys like Rautins & Mason can be pretty much ignored for the purpose of this discussion. Not sure how much Anthony Carter would be utilized by MDA if at all but we do need a capable backup PG either way.

Let's consider who would be in the rotation:

C - Turiaf
PF - STAT
SF - Melo
SG - Fields
PG - Billups
6 - Williams
7 - Douglas or Carter
8 - Walker
9 - Barron

I think if giving up Timo is what it's going to take to get this deal done, then we need to make the move. We have come way too far in these negotiations to scrap everything now. If there's any truth to the rumor that DEN made the ultimatum that they'd be trading Melo to NJ if the Knicks didn't give up Mozgov in the trade, then that's the last card they can play. They basically presented the Knicks with their final offer, give us Mozgov or we're trading Melo to NJ. So if that's the case, then give them Mozgov. We can't look at this as cowtowing, this is negotiating for the player we all covet. Timo Mozgov is a minor piece in all this, barely worth a mention it would be like throwing in a 2nd round pick as far as I'm concerned. Hardly worth scuttling a major trade over.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I mean, it certainly depends on what you can swing...

T-Moz is a good player that I want to keep but there's a great chance that he never ends up being anything more than a 15-20 minute guy at best.

If we could give them T-Moz and keep Gallo that'd rock...

STAT1

Starter
I mean, it certainly depends on what you can swing...

T-Moz is a good player that I want to keep but there's a great chance that he never ends up being anything more than a 15-20 minute guy at best.

If we could give them T-Moz and keep Gallo that'd rock...

With the money we'd be saving on Mozgov's salary for the next 2 years we could probably purchase a 1st round pick or 2 & draft someone to take his place.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
The Hill trade has always haunted me; and been the centerpiece of my fears and critique of Walsh.

(along w sitting pat in the draft *to* pick Hill)

I put faith back into Walsh (and the Knicks) early this season.

If we bend over as bad as it seems we might, by backing down in this game of poker to an opponent with inferior position....

This is still a 2 Star League, fundamentally. MIA's three is an anomaly (Bosh isn't even that much of a stud), and they will still scrap against a well-oiled 2 Star Team in a dog fight.

We can achieve that right now by gambling hard vs DEN and playing this to the bone. And even if we fail, can shrewdly build further and pounce even harder and with superior (cba bullshit cleared up) leverage almost right away for Williams/Paul.

The perfect allin semi-bluff for Walsh to execute.

All do 'spect Isayughh, and you and I usually agree, but in my eyes, Bosh is friggin noice..

STAT1

Starter
http://www.sockroll.com/Carmelo-Anthony-deal-may-be-near-resolution/x/d4pb9x

Carmelo Anthony deal may be near resolution 1:48 AM, Feb. 21, 2011

LOS ANGELES --
Carmelo Anthony is expected to know "in the next 24 to 48 hours" if the Denver Nuggets will accept a trade that would move him to the <nobr class="itxtrst itxtrstnobr itxthooknobr" id="itxthook0w0nobr" style="color: black;">Knicks</nobr>, a person with knowledge of the situation told Newsday Sunday. The Nuggets, another source said, have been given the Knicks' final offer and want the situation resolved."Everyone does," said one person involved in the ordeal, which was a dominant theme throughout All-Star weekend.

In a three-team deal, the<nobr class="itxtrst itxtrstnobr itxthooknobr" id="itxthook1w2nobr" style="color: black;">Knicks</nobr> would send Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari and Raymond Felton, a future first-round pick and $3 million in cash to the Nuggets in exchange for Anthony, veteran guard Chauncey Billups and two other players, who were identified by CBSSports.com as Shelden Williams and Anthony Carter. The Minnesota Timberwolves will take Eddy Curry and Anthony Randolph from the Knicks and, according to reports, send Corey Brewer to the Nuggets. The deal would include Anthony signing a three-year, $65-million extension. According to CBSSports.com, Carter would also have to waive his no-trade clause.

The Nets reportedly have a deal in place that includes rookie Derrick Favors and four first-round draft picks going to Denver in a three-team trade, but multiple sources with knowledge of the situation say Anthony, even after meeting with Nets officials on Saturday, remains reluctant to sign an extension to go to New Jersey. Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who attended the meeting, admitted in an interview Sunday with CNBC's Darren Rovell that he decided to get back into negotiations with Denver just to keep pressure on the Knicks.
Getting Shelden Williams included is an awesome move. He's averaging 5.3 rebounds a game in only 17 minutes, that would give us some much needed frontcourt depth off the bench. & If Anthony Carter can give us anything as a backup PG it's a bonus. If the trade goes down as described here it leaves us with plenty of depth:

C - Mozgov
PF - STAT
SF - Melo
SG - Fields
PG - Billups
6 - Shawne Williams
7 - Turiaf
8 - Douglas
9 - Walker
10 - Shelden Williams
11 - Carter
12 - Rautins

iSaYughh

Starter
All do 'spect Isayughh, and you and I usually agree, but in my eyes, Bosh is friggin noice..

I don't disagree. Its blasphemy now, but I always liked him better than Amare, till we got Amare.

Maybe worded wrong, I just don't consider him a premier blue chip. More a 1b versus a 1 (or 1a).

Wade and Lebron are the real forces on MIA. Sure, Bosh will be superior to nearly every other team's #3, but the gap...especially when factoring in quality #4/#5 players, is muted.

To where for the intended purpose of that remark, I don't feel a dire need for three "superstars". If Bosh was....Dirk, or somehow another Wade or Lebron...Then I would.

So that,

CP3/Amare lineup we salivated, still getting guys like Gallo..Fields...a quality crew of bigs...Is more than fine as a route to dominate.

clumsy

Rotation player
if this trade goes through, Minnesota instantly becomes the most intriguing team in the leauge. Almost every player is a reclamation project.

Also kev loves stats will prob drop with A Randolph playing.