Could Phil Jackson be our secret weapon?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
So far as President, he hasn't had a good record, and the way he's treated his team at times (Melo, making Hornacek address the media instead of himself) has made many question his decisions and wants him gone. However, he does want the team to re-build and he has a high basketball IQ (VERY stubborn though with this whole triangle thing, which he's low on the basketball IQ in that regard), and we have some nice youth already with more coming in. Heck, Noah COULD be very beneficial with his leadership. Far from the worst relatively big contract a team could have. I think Phil hasn't done as bad of a job as a lot of people think, but he's had some pretty bad decisions.

Now let's say he gets his "triangle" team. Guys willing to put the work into it, don't complain, and are young. They have a big challenge in front of them with teams in the East on the rise, and the Cavs. So what if we add possibly an asset to the coaching staff that could shake things up? What if Phil Jackson decides to give it go? Do what he does best?

It'd be nice to give Hornacek a chance without him interfering. I think it's ridiculous to tell a head coach how to coach. If you're that set on the triangle, and drafting and signing players via free agency to fit the system you want to be played, you should, especially as the master of it, coach.

I don't know the status of his health. I want to find out what his diet is, Steve Kerr as well.

mafra

Legend
I think the triangle nonsense is a tad overblown.... Knicks stink b/c they don't play any defense....
That's all about effort and passion.... The team went thru a rough Jan, losing a bunch of close games... KP got hurt and never recovered... and the season imploded.

If we find a group committed to stopping the opponent, the offense will come and take care of itself.

tiger0330

Legend
The triangle is not overblown if it prevents the Knicks from signing FA's. I think it's a fact that some expressed that they wouldn't come to NY because of it.

Also, while not having having any indication yet that it's affected the Knicks drafting, it's ridiculous to pick someone because he's a better fit in the triangle than someone because he's a better fit for a system than a more gifted athlete. I'd love to see who PJ would pick among Ball and Fultz, would he go against the grain and select Ball because he might be a better fit than Fultz.

It also takes time for a team to implement it, which is a problem when you have the revolving door of players the Knicks have. You have to keep the same cast for a couple of seasons to see any results and the Knicks haven't had that and it's going to be the same this season. I also think you have to question if you can win a championship playing it when in the last 2 years of conference finals 7 of the 8 teams were the top 4 teams in 3 pt shooting, the lone exception being the Spurs who edged out the Rockets to get to the conference finals who ironically set the record for 3s attempted and made for a regular season.

and1

Rotation player
The triangle is not overblown if it prevents the Knicks from signing FA's. I think it's a fact that some expressed that they wouldn't come to NY because of it.

Also, while not having having any indication yet that it's affected the Knicks drafting, it's ridiculous to pick someone because he's a better fit in the triangle than someone because he's a better fit for a system than a more gifted athlete. I'd love to see who PJ would pick among Ball and Fultz, would he go against the grain and select Ball because he might be a better fit than Fultz.

It also takes time for a team to implement it, which is a problem when you have the revolving door of players the Knicks have. You have to keep the same cast for a couple of seasons to see any results and the Knicks haven't had that and it's going to be the same this season. I also think you have to question if you can win a championship playing it when in the last 2 years of conference finals 7 of the 8 teams were the top 4 teams in 3 pt shooting, the lone exception being the Spurs who edged out the Rockets to get to the conference finals who ironically set the record for 3s attempted and made for a regular season.

i don't think it's just the triangle in and of itself that is discouraging FAs from coming here. i think it has more to do with the fact that phil is practically forcing it down the throats of his coaches, rather than letting them coach their own system based on the talent they see first hand every day. players know better than anyone else (more than fans, more than journalists, more than the so-called 'experts') how disastrous that kind of 'relationship' can be. they don't want that. and if they don't need it, they're not looking for it.

and yeah, some consistency in the roster would help too. this will be phil's 4th year. if he doesn't want to get run out of town he better play it smart. he doesn't have to do anything blockbuster or splashy, just play it smart, for both the pre-season (draft/free agency) AND during the regular season. if he doesn't want to coach, then he shouldn't coach. that would be a good place to start. if he's going to bad mouth players on the roster, address the media himself instead of making other people do it. better yet, just keep his mouth shut. make your statements and comments about the draft and the free agency moves, and then just shut up unless you've got something positive to say, phil. please!