Courtney Lee to the Knicks

Yeah, just saw this as well. Much like every other contract it seems this free agency period this is 4 years with no options.

We are now locked into Courtney Lee until age 34, Joakim Noah until age 35, and Melo until age 35 (assuming he picks up his player's option).

I know contracts can always be moved, but man, could this go south on us. We need this starting lineup of Noah, Porzingis, Melo, Rose, and Lee to work starting this season because we are officially all-in for win now mode, even with Rose potentially coming off the books at the end of the season.

Now PJ has to try to build us a bench with a winning 2nd unit with only O'Quinn, Justin Holliday, and possibly Galloway there right now.

tiger0330

Legend
Looking at the Knicks team salary I think they may have renounced Seraphin's cap hold to get to the reported 48-50M contract they offered CLee. Seems to be a good signing, positive response on twitter that it's a good contract. While EG's peak may be higher than CLee's peak, he isn't an injury risk like EG is.

The Knicks now have a starting 5 but now PJ needs to start building a bench with very little money available, not an easy task.

Looking at the Knicks team salary I think they may have renounced Seraphin's cap hold to get to the reported 48-50M contract they offered CLee. Seems to be a good signing, positive response on twitter that it's a good contract. While EG's peak may be higher than CLee's peak, he isn't an injury risk like EG is.

The Knicks now have a starting 5 but now PJ needs to start building a bench with very little money available, not an easy task.

Just to clarify, I don't dislike the Courtney Lee signing. He is a great fit given our other 4 starters, it just worries the heck out of me how many guys we now have signed to double digit million contracts into their mid 30s.

Interesting.

I lot of people are going to look at a lineup of Noah, Melo, Porzingis, Rose, and Courtney Lee and say that it is nothing special given the stage in the careers of the players involved, but I think the actual players themselves think that this is a winning combination.

tiger0330

Legend
I lot of people are going to look at a lineup of Noah, Melo, Porzingis, Rose, and Courtney Lee and say that it is nothing special given the stage in the careers of the players involved, but I think the actual players themselves think that this is a winning combination.
Even if you added DeRozan as the starting SG the Knicks still might not make the playoffs without a bench. Plenty of teams have flopped because of a lack of depth. Right now you have Quinn, Holiday, Gallo is restricted so he's definitely coming back, Hernangomez may or may not come. Big men are getting crazy money so KS is not coming back, DWill is not coming back for the 6M we can pay him with the vets non-bird, LT is getting interest from 4 other teams. I get the sense this is going to be a multi- year project to build a team despite this starting 5.

mafra

Legend
Funny how a not of analysts think Noah is done...yet WAS wanted him. Rose recruited him. Melo pushed for him and Lee felt he had to be here for him to sign.

With that said... NYK taking BIG risk with both noah and Lee... Probably will blow up on us in 2 years (if not sooner).

tiger0330

Legend

Bobby Marks just updated his Knicks salary page and as I suspected the Knicks dropped Seraphin's cap hold and are right at the cap with the CLee signing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nyk/salary/

New New York

Quiet Storm
Right now you have Quinn, Holiday, Gallo is restricted so he's definitely coming back, Hernangomez may or may not come. Big men are getting crazy money so KS is not coming back, DWill is not coming back for the 6M we can pay him with the vets non-bird, LT is getting interest from 4 other teams. I get the sense this is going to be a multi- year project to build a team despite this starting 5.

Wait, my understanding is that you put a player on a cap hold so you can exceed the cap to sign them.

That being said....

LT is a 12 million a year player in this market, give him 3 years 36. I'm not concerned with the interest he has from other teams because he seems like he's willing to wait for the Knicks to use our cap (an indicator he wants to be here)!

We extended the Q.O. to Langston, I can't see a team offering him more than 4 million per, and I say we match it!

Derrick Williams is likely gone! I'm actually confused as to why we didn't just renounce his cap hold! The only thing I'm thinking is that Phil may renounce the hold, dump O Quinn for nothing, and add that all to what we have to left, bringing us about 13 million to give to Williams...but contract length is going to vital!

Willie Hernangomez has lucrative offers to return to Europe, we gotta get him for 2nd round money.

I also think there will be some players available for cheap once the dust settles, guys who get bought out, journey men etc.

tiger0330

Legend
Wait, my understanding is that you put a player on a cap hold so you can exceed the cap to sign them.

That being said....

LT is a 12 million a year player in this market, give him 3 years 36. I'm not concerned with the interest he has from other teams because he seems like he's willing to wait for the Knicks to use our cap (an indicator he wants to be here)!

We extended the Q.O. to Langston, I can't see a team offering him more than 4 million per, and I say we match it!

Derrick Williams is likely gone! I'm actually confused as to why we didn't just renounce his cap hold! The only thing I'm thinking is that Phil may renounce the hold, dump O Quinn for nothing, and add that all to what we have to left, bringing us about 13 million to give to Williams...but contract length is going to vital!

Willie Hernangomez has lucrative offers to return to Europe, we gotta get him for 2nd round money.

I also think there will be some players available for cheap once the dust settles, guys who get bought out, journey men etc.
We might be able to re-sign LT because we have his early bird rights. We should know better when the league calculates the average salary, the Knicks can pay LT 104% of the avg NBA salary which was about 6M last year and will probably be a lot higher this year. If some team signs him for 12M we would lose him because we would have to sign him with cap space.

DWill we can offer about 6M using the non-bird exception which allows the Knicks to pay 120% of the 5M he made last season. Educated guess is he's gone, I see his value at 10M min in this market.

Bobby Marks tweeted after the CLee signing we're right at the cap so not much money to play with w/o some other moves.

I also may be wrong about all of this because I'm far from a capologist.

We need this starting lineup of Noah, Porzingis, Melo, Rose, and Lee to work starting this season because we are officially all-in for win now modeQUOTE]

all aboard.. the Brooklyn nets express...

Importance difference between what we've done and what Nets did a couple seasons ago is that we have all our 1st round picks going forward while the Nets basically gave up or agreed to swap every pick for years.

paris401

Starter
Importance difference between what we've done and what Nets did a couple seasons ago is that we have all our 1st round picks going forward while the Nets basically gave up or agreed to swap every pick for years.

very true... BUT.. if we are to be better this year, our pick next year will be middle of the road, probably little help to the team, I doubt we will be in contention, and the clock is ticking on Me-Lo, noah...etc...etc...

tiger0330

Legend
We might be able to re-sign LT because we have his early bird rights. We should know better when the league calculates the average salary, the Knicks can pay LT 104% of the avg NBA salary which was about 6M last year and will probably be a lot higher this year. If some team signs him for 12M we would lose him because we would have to sign him with cap space.
Average salary figures are out and looks like we'll be able to pay Lance Thomas up to 6.5M using the early bird exception. Berman reports Clippers, Wolves, Pelicans, Thunder are interested in him but realistically I think the Wolves and the Pelicans are the only ones willing to spend greater than 7M for Lance.

Average salary figures are out and looks like we'll be able to pay Lance Thomas up to 6.5M using the early bird exception. Berman reports Clippers, Wolves, Pelicans, Thunder are interested in him but realistically I think the Wolves and the Pelicans are the only ones willing to spend greater than 7M for Lance.

In this market, who even knows how much a guy like Lance Thomas can get per season. Clearly more than 7 million per season. Great role player off the bench and spot starter for a good team looking to fill out their rotation. You'll be able to add him soon to the list of players who had no-value when we acquired them and then were able to cash-in after our thin rotations gave them minutes and good value.