Daily News: Mozgov to start at Center?

He'll be better than Curry thats 4sure. I don't know what he really has to offer...yet. I don't think he will be a force against many other big men in this league, but he can be a presence in the middle. If he learns how to use his weight around the rim...he'll get better in this coach's system.

I think Sasha is more impressive thou...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMgZWD1dCSU

moneyg

Starter
Turiaf will start and should. t mo will come in only if bigs r in foul trouble or at the end of quarters or in blowout situations

he may get about 10-12 minutes a game max

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Amar'e raves about 'Mozgov on the Hudson'

10:59 AM, September 27, 2010 ι By MARC BERMAN

Through the first two days of Knicks training camp, Russian center Timofey Mozgov has been better than advertised. He's solidly built, poised, good hands ? a real presence. He's knocked down 3s. He shoots righty but is more comfortable going left on the dribble, making him even tougher to guard.

During a scrimmage Sunday, "Mozgov on the Hudson" bolted down the left side of the lane for a running banker. Some raised their eyebrows when the Knicks shelled out $9 million over three years for the unknown 7-foot-1, 23-year-old. But it could be a bargain.

One league executive told me if Mozgov was in the NBA Draft, he'd be a late lottery pick. He's looking to be more than that.

The Russian has caught Amar'e Stoudemire's eye.

"He's adjusted quickly,'' Stoudemire told me. "I'm very surprised how good he really is. He's going to be a force if he keeps studying and working the way he has been.''

Mozgov's only weakness so far is his English. In my first interview attempt, he didn't understand most of my questions. Mike D'Antoni said it hasn't been a problem yet. D'Antoni said he's got a high basketball IQ to make up for the language barrier.

"I'm sure in a group setting he probably misses some things,'' D'Antoni said. "But one thing I do know, once he's got it, he's got it. Once he understands it, he's a very smart basketball player.

"Down the road, his English will be perfect,'' D'Antoni added. "His English will be great in two months. He'll pick it up like that. I've had experience with European guys. I don't think it's an issue now.''

While Eddy Curry already has "tight hamstrings'' preventing him from finishing yesterday's scrimmage, D'Antoni said of Mozgov, "He's an athlete.''

Mozgov has been playing with the second string. But he makes No. 1 Ronny Turiaf look like a small forward when they stand together.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knick...t_mozgov_on_the_hudson_zWM3dr4IRZnl7sQ1nzudtO

Maybe he can play Robin Lopez's role for the Knicks. Amare and the Suns had a lot of success when they made him a starter. He only played 20 min a game and was only asked to block shots, defend, rebound and intimidate.

Who knows? Maybe Mozgov can do the same?

iSaYughh

Starter
Wow. Sexy news. How huge would it be if he established himself as a Lopez...or, gulp, a Marc Gasol like impact.

We'd essentially be set aside from procuring a stud 2. Let AR and Gallo develo, while using our cap wisely and pouncing whenever we please on bringing in ballers (Deron, CP3, eg), and making shrewd moves in the process in building a killer bench.

Felton
????
Gallo
STAT
Moz
6th AR

Imagine plugging Melo into the 2 at seasons end. It'd be such a freakish lineup, that a inter-position rotation of Melo/STAT/AR/Gallo between the 2, 3, 4 would be uncanny.

iSaYughh

Starter
Seriously. Is there any other roster in the game you'd rather call your own? With a 7-1 pick n roll freak and felton's lightning speed and pure point instincts....W.O.W.

If Moz is actually legit, Gallo stays healthy, and Melo legends himself by waiting to sign with us....W.O.W.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Even without Melo our team is looking pretty decent.

At the 5 we have a center who's athletic, a good defender, and a beast at setting screens. Not to mention he's 7'1, hustles, and is SMART

At the 4 we have the best big man in the game who has unparalleled athleticism

At the 3 we have Danilo, a rookie who scored 15 PPG in his first full year as a starter. He spent the summer working on explosiveness, here's to hoping he really has a solid year.

At the 2 we have Bill Walker, a guy who had the work ethic to lose 20 pounds during the off-season and his perimeter shooting, one of the things that pushed him down in the draft (along with injury), is now amongst the best in the league.

At the 1 we have Raymond Felton who is FAST. FAST.

And as our 6th man we have an athletic 6'11 who has a good jump shot and can block shots...as well as play any position from the 3 to the 5...

I mean this team is beast already

nymaddog

Rookie
I agree the team is looking like a vast improvement over past squads, but let's not forget that we also have depth at the 2. If Walker doesn't pan out, and I'm not sold on the fact that he will, we also have Chandler and possibly Azubuike at some point. Not to mention Roger Mason Jr. at certain points. I think Donnie did well to address our admitted weak spot at shooting guard. Even though we didn't wind up with a star 2, we took a approach-by-committee and we'll find out, I guess, who sticks. This is certainly going to be an interesting year, and I think we're going to take a lot of people by surprise.

petescud

Starter
I think starting him would be the way I start the season. I'd play him for 10 minutes in the first quarter. Then insert Turiaff (he's used to 20 minutes at center) and use Mozgav a few minutes here and there throughout the game.

This would be my initial gameplan. After the first few games, this could change of its not working out. Against the shorter and less physical center teams, you may even be able to use AR at the center for Turiaff rests..

Foegive me for spelling everyone's names wrong

Toons

is the Bo$$
His lack of experience and IQ will probably have him start as a role player but Mozgov will impress like he did in the FIBA games and eventually he will be a starter due to his athletic/ pick and roll abilities that Mike D drools over.

his lack of IQ? where do you get your info from? Coach said Timo was smart. just because he's big, doesnt mean he's stupid

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
His lack of experience and IQ will probably have him start as a role player but Mozgov will impress like he did in the FIBA games and eventually he will be a starter due to his athletic/ pick and roll abilities that Mike D drools over.

His ability to rebound and seal the paint defensively will be what makes him or brakes him.

Finesse in athleticism VS grit (which he seems to have) is far less important. That role (finesse) is for Stat, Gallo, Chandler and Randolph. We NEED The Gov to provide solidarity inside.

Rebounding is our biggest necessity. From role players, starters and stars, we need someone to do the windows. Gallo's rebounding must improve. Same goes for Chandler, Amar'e and even Felton. Those boys'll see the majority of the minutes.

The Gov must rebound effectively without fouling or negating his ability to run the floor from either end.

He has to bring it by December or face a reduced role.

timofey-mozgov.jpg