D'Antoni isn't going to use this team to full defensive potential.

Please can we stop with Ar kid is trash and will always be trash. He makes a great defensive play then starts to fire 2 contested jumpers 1 on a 2-1 fast-break! :barf:He deserves to be benched with his dumbass trdae him to the Pacers for that first so Donnie can do his draft magic

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Please can we stop with Ar kid is trash and will always be trash. He makes a great defensive play then starts to fire 2 contested jumpers 1 on a 2-1 fast-break! :barf:He deserves to be benched with his dumbass trdae him to the Pacers for that first so Donnie can do his draft magic

Wow, we agree on something!!! lol

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Totally Disagree here...

Remember the thread I made about us being an efficient defensive team?

With my assessment so far, I believe we have the tools and players to be a top 3-5 defensive team in the NBA and bring back Knicks basketball as how we use to remember, except now we'll have athletic freaks who can fly and sky no Clyde Frazier.

We're not built to play a high tempo, I believe with the same players(how they produce and their tendencies and skills), we'll be a MUCH better squad if we played at a slower pace, focused more on defensive rebounding, crashing the boards, ball possession(high tempo leads to more opportunities to giveaway turnovers). We're more defensive skilled than offensively skilled, therefor it is wrong to use this team in such a way.

D'Antoni is a great coach and I am not Kiyaman(one of the few respectable D'Antoni haters here), nor I am not the ignorant D'Antoni haters on this site(NY Baller and others).

I'm just saying D'Antoni just doesn't FIT.

Sorry. He doesn't.

Don't fire him this season.
I don't much about Herb Williams, Phil Weber, Dan D'Antoni, or Kenny Atkinson.

We should really invest in a coach who will implement a defensive system for our guys.

We have a good team, Pistons like squad (well rounded defensive team) that can be special and be different. Because a lot of teams in the NBA are pushing for offense. We can counter that and build for defense, and be one some next level. You feel me?

Metrocard out.

I agree that we are playing better defense this year, that has a lot to do with Felton and Amar'e replacing Duhon and David Lee. However, what real evidence do you have that could suggest our players are capable of being defensively elite?

Many have already pointed out we lead the league in blocks, and we force a lot of turnovers. But to me effective, elite defense has a lot to do with stopping the opposing team from scoring at a high percentage and lowering their opportunities to score.

Stats as usual can be very misleading. Hypothetically lets say Amare gets a block shot. In a vacuum this is a net positive sure. But what won't show up in the box score could be a multitude of other factors such as Gallo getting beat of the dribble by his man and forcing Amare to come over and help. Amar'e gets the block, but no one rotates to his man, who gets the ball back and an uncontested lay up. This is not something I have made up but rather an example of what I have seen repeatedly over the course of the season.

Secondly, who on our team is defensively elite? I would say that we got a couple of solid defenders in Felton, Chandler and Turiaf, and the rest are either average and in some cases Gallo and Bill Walker are real defensive liabilities.

Don't forget rebounding. The Knicks have shown signs of excellent defensive rotation and team defense, however at the end of the play they aren't securing the rebound. This team simply does not have elite rebounding like some of the better defensive teams cause it lacks the size and toughness to clean the glass.

While the Knicks are great at forcing turnovers, they allow teams to shoot at a very high percentage and considering th pace of our uptempo system the opposing team can afford to have douglas steal a few if they are shooting 45-50%.

I also don't understand why you would not let D'Antoni coach THIS team. If we had more defensive minded, rugged, hard nosed players like Felton, Chandler and Turiaf then I would be all for a coach with a slow deliberate grind you out style like Larry Brown or Doc Rivers. But when you consider that D'Antoni's system was MADE for players like Amar'e and Gallo you have t play to your players strengths. Defensive will not be a strength of this team no matter who coaches because we simply do not have the personal.

I will say that I would totally be open to signing a defensive assistant coach because defense has nothing to do with your offensive style. But getting rid of D'Antoni now is a little late.

Now if you want to make the claim that we should of never hired D'Antoni that is certainly debatable. I for one wanted Avery Johnson after we fired Isiah. Had Johnson been coach and Walsh catered to his needs we would probably have a much more physical and defensive squad to reflect his style. But whats done is done my friends, D'Antoni has left his mark and we got no real choice but to let him finish what he has started. Firing him will not have any real impact on improving our defense.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I remember someone saying something similar to what you said about AR about Michael Beasley. "Yeah, he sucks, let's trade him, blah blah..."

Now I wonder how good the Heat would be if they had Wade, Beasley, and Bosh. Those three would probably go together way better than Wade/Bron/Bosh.

You don't give up on players just because they need time to mature. AR just turned 21 this year, he's barely old enough to drink, give him another year in the league and perhaps some time in the dog house before you say we should dump him for a first roudner.