Durant signs with the Warriors

Broadway

All Star
Cap projected to go up to 107-110 next year... Ergo, a max next year worth many millions more. Around 30 mil per year.

That's my point Melo can still dip into the money pool when Cap numbers will be the highest in league history the following yr. If Wade can get $20mil at 34yrs old...Melo possibly can or close to it. I'm not advocating any team paying him that though but teams have proven their studpidty including Knicks. Only argument that can be said is Melo lost the difference on what Max is for this yr and next yr($15-20mil)...that's it. He can potentially make up for that on his next deal.

On the other hand Durant lost a lot of guaranteed money going to the Warriors it's gonna be between $60-80mil

mafra

Legend
That's my point Melo can still dip into the money pool when Cap numbers will be the highest in league history the following yr. If Wade can get $20mil at 34yrs old...Melo possibly can or close to it. I'm not advocating any team paying him that though but teams have proven their studpidty including Knicks. Only argument that can be said is Melo lost the difference on what Max is for this yr and next yr($15-20mil)...that's it. He can potentially make up for that on his next deal.

On the other hand Durant lost a lot of guaranteed money going to the Warriors it's gonna be between $60-80mil

This is why I like what PJ is doing... Rose & BJ are 1 year deals... If it blows up and doesn't work out... so what. Melo opts out and you let him walk and then you just have KOQ & NOAH's "bad" contracts... But they won't kill the cap (107 million)... Then you get a first rounder and make some trades.

Plus... Unlike BOS, PJ didn't beg to have a fruitless meeting with KD... Or LA... To waste our time.

Knowing Melo will opt out... If we are stagnant or not playing well... 15-28... We deal Melo.

Fielding a team that has a shot to battle win the East... But not sacrificing future... It's worth a 1 year gamble.

If this year works out, nobody questions why he re-signed Melo... If it doesn't... We can have that debate.

I hope all stay healthy so we can answer it once and for all...hey MElo... You have a good team... Make them great.

Back to Durant... I don't buy that Durant lost a lot of money. If he signed max this year, next year, with OKC or not... He is still getting 20-30 mil per year. He is young and will get paid every year he plays. If he signs a deal next year for 18-20 mil a year... Then You're right.

Bottom line is: Melo had to chose between 120 mil and 70 mil... Durant has to chose between what? 180 mil and 130 mil?

And Melo makes what in endorsements next to KD's 300 mil?

That's like BOS fans saying Brady took a paycut (when he simply defers payments)... And Tom can take less bc his supermodel wife makes more than he does.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Back to Durant... I don't buy that Durant lost a lot of money. If he signed max this year, next year, with OKC or not... He is still getting 20-30 mil per year. He is young and will get paid every year he plays. If he signs a deal next year for 18-20 mil a year... Then You're right.

Bottom line is: Melo had to chose between 120 mil and 70 mil... Durant has to chose between what? 180 mil and 130 mil?

That's why I posted the link. It clearly shows he will lose guaranteed money. It's real simple. Most believe guys will start signing long term deals after next season cap rises. With that being said since he left to Warriors, he's gonna lose some coin.

kd_free_agency_v6.0.jpg

SCENARIO 1: 4 years, $113.6 millionSCENARIO 2: 5 years, $153 millionSCENARIO 3: 5 years, $162.9 millionSCENARIO 4: 5 years, $188 millionSCENARIO 5: 6 years, $244.1 million

Now it can be argued he may make money up by being in GS vs OKC off the court but as far contract goes he's forfeiting long term guaranteed money no matter how it's sliced.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
It's all nonsense... He's only going to get 162 million... not 244? Let's talk about his off court cash... What does he get paid? Take the 27 mil he's getting this season... Add it to 162... He's still around 190 mil... Sprinkle in 300 mil in endorsements (Nike deal)....

So... Carmelo makes about 8mil a year off court... Durant makes 36 mil...

And, yes, Durant could potentially make up most of that cash he "left on table" if he helps GSW win 2-3 more titles...

In other words, some scuffed at Melo leaving a few mil as being meaningless... But Melo is poor next to KD.

I mean, starting next season... KD going to bank about 70 mil a year! Melo making about 30 mil a year...

if the PR is now going to say KD left money on the table... Then be fair... Melo left some money too... and Melo came to NY and stayed in NY to win his way... Not chase a ring.

Did he stay only for the money? Did KD only flee OKC to chase a ring? We'll never know...

I do know this... Nike (who pays KD more than his bball team)might have specifically told him to leave OKC for Cali... Ergo, he left OKC bc the money instructed him to do so.

I think GSW played him a little and said that it was now or never... Curry is up for his money next year... They were going to either pay Barnes or KD... Bluff the man...basically tell him his GSW window is shutting this summer... Join now or find your own way bc we won't have money next summer. Maybe KD wanted to go the route you refer too... Give OKC 1 more run with RW... But... Then freaked out bc he really wanted to join his pals in GSW for his second chapter of his career... Again, he pursues his own self-interest... Either way.

Nothing wrong with that of course... And yeah... I guess making 95 mil a year is better than 80 (over 6 years)... I mean, who wants to only be a half-billionaire... Why not make 600 mil, no? I get that too...

Funny thing is... OKC with KD is just as good as GSW... So, why did he leave? Nike? Relationships? Lifestyle?

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Read GS was unhappy with Bogut even before they got KD and maybe it's just me but Durant+KT+Steph-Barnes is way better than Bogut+KT+Steph+Barnes. GS was great last year but I don't think there is a superlative to describe them next season if they can remain healthy.
In the aftermath Rudy Gobert said of the Warriors they're small up front and there's only one ball.

Maybe a valid criticism but I still think getting 4 stars together in their prime sets up for a sensational season next year.

In the aftermath Rudy Gobert said of the Warriors they're small up front and there's only one ball.

Maybe a valid criticism but I still think getting 4 stars together in their prime sets up for a sensational season next year.

All I know for sure is if the Warriors don't win it all next season, the whole world is going to laugh in their faces.

Broadway

All Star
Durant is a punk bitch

Lebron started this crap and he did it twice. In Miami with the cHeat and then returning to Cleveland demanding Wiggins get traded for Kevin Love. Today's so called Superstars are soft as Candy and want everything served to them on a silver platter.

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Lebron started this crap and he did it twice. In Miami with the cHeat and then returning to Cleveland demanding Wiggins get traded for Kevin Love. Today's so called Superstars are soft as Candy and what everything served to them on a silver platter.

article in the NY post compared Durant to the Warriors with clemens joining the 1999 Yankees the 1998 yankee team came off of winning 125 games and the world series, they were looked upon as one of the greatest teams ever. clemens played with Boston a yankee rival and could never get boston over the hump, he went to the blue jays for two years and won a cy young award. He then joined a stacked Yankee team that had a historic season the year before and won already 2 of the last 3 worldseries.. Clemens was still at the top of his game, sort of a second wind of his career.. Most people outside of the yankee universe didn't like it, but he won two rings with the yankees in 1999/2000. say what you want, many may not like the idea of clemens in pinstripes, but the dude got his rings...

This is a different era in the NBA.. Durant wanted to win, people can call him all they want, but if the warriors was their team, they would have no problem with it at all...

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Cap will skyrocket another 15M next year... Durant will sign a 180M deal... If he doesn't and takes 80M... Then y'all are right. Only reason he took less was so he can be a free agent again next year.

Melo's flaw was not waiting until free agency... His flaw wasn't about the money... None of these athletes in their prime take less money. Still, Melo wasn't a wussy... He didn't feel he needed to team wth 2-3 starts in order to get his ring.

carmelo's flaw is all about money, he always took the most available when he could. If he wanted a better chance to win, he could have gone to Dallas or Houston. or chicago. They offered less.. Carmelo is sucking all of the money out of the knicks he can get.

And I disagree , wade and lebron took less money in their prime in miami. Dirk did it, And now Durant is doing it. He is losing money making this change.
carmelo cares about getting paid, end of story.... and if you don't think he feels he needs to team with 2-3 other stars to get a ring, then tell me, what does he feel, how is he ever going to win, because history has proven he is nowhere good enough to lead a team anywhere. so either he is just plain stupid or you are just being naive....

mafra

Legend
carmelo's flaw is all about money, he always took the most available when he could. If he wanted a better chance to win, he could have gone to Dallas or Houston. or chicago. They offered less.. Carmelo is sucking all of the money out of the knicks he can get.

And I disagree , wade and lebron took less money in their prime in miami. Dirk did it, And now Durant is doing it. He is losing money making this change.
carmelo cares about getting paid, end of story.... and if you don't think he feels he needs to team with 2-3 other stars to get a ring, then tell me, what does he feel, how is he ever going to win, because history has proven he is nowhere good enough to lead a team anywhere. so either he is just plain stupid or you are just being naive....

Dirk only took less money in his mid 30s... Go check out his second contract... The MIA guys took less money... a few million... but there's no state tax (or city tax) in MiA.

How is Mo sucking the money? Who didn't come here last 3 years bc we didn't have money?

Roger Clemens was thrown away by BOS...it's a little different with Durant, only bc he had beaten GSW but choked in Game 6... Still, I don't begrudge the man to do what he wants... I wi call him out for being a hypocrite... He trashed Lebron 6 years ago for running to MIA.

But KD isn't taking less money... GSW is in a top 5 market... He makes more money off the court and this move will help him make even more money off the court. FORBES figures don't lie.

Broadway

All Star
Dirk only took less money in his mid 30s... Go check out his second contract... The MIA guys took less money... a few million... but there's no state tax (or city tax) in MiA.

How is Mo sucking the money? Who didn't come here last 3 years bc we didn't have money?

Roger Clemens was thrown away by BOS...it's a little different with Durant, only bc he had beaten GSW but choked in Game 6... Still, I don't begrudge the man to do what he wants... I wi call him out for being a hypocrite... He trashed Lebron 6 years ago for running to MIA.

But KD isn't taking less money... GSW is in a top 5 market... He makes more money off the court and this move will help him make even more money off the court. FORBES figures don't lie.

Durant is a hypocrite but he's still forgoing future money by leaving. I don't like what he did, it was a punk move but I understand it more as I've come to understand this generation more.

Maf you're trying to redo math that has already been done for you. If he stayed in OKC and let's assume he wins at least 1 chip there because you know they were up 3-1 and had a shot at another Finals appearance...then Durant would continue to bring in the money by the droves off the court.

Before Lebron re-upped his Nike deal recently, Durant had the largest sneaker deal "while in OKC". It's a 10yr deal I believe it's not going to be renegotiated for a while. He endorses Sprint/Sonic/Degree/Gatorade/EA Sports/Orange Leaf/BBVA/SkullCandy/Panini/Sparkling Ice etc etc makes about $35mil/yr this yr alone "while in OKC".

How much more do you think he'll get? He has to win right? Well the same would apply in OKC had he stayed. He would have to win to grow his net worth nothing has changed here.

He may hit some incentive numbers by being in GSW on certain deals and pick up a couple extra marketing deals but let's not go overboard. He'll also take some tax hits by being in the Bay Area vs Oklahoma. I'm strictly referring to his NBA earnings only. He forfeited lots of future guaranteed money. END OF STORY!

As far as Melo goes once again get real...where was Melo going to go outside of New York and make more money without winning? I'll wait

Dirk may have taken a paycut when he was older but context is very important here...Dirk took paycut while he was still productive and it was massive. He got Max offers from Houston and Lakers for $97mil which could have been his last and took $25mil instead. There's no way to try and minimize what he did here, real shameful actually

Tkf

Benchwarmer
All I know for sure is if the Warriors don't win it all next season, the whole world is going to laugh in their faces.

KIND of like the heat not winning it all in year 1? but went on to win 2 in a row.. I didn't see much laughing then...

mafra

Legend
It's short-sighted to think KD forfeited money in year 4-6 Oma deal he'll sign after next season... Who is to say he won't opt out after the 3rd year and sign another deal?

Of course he left money on the table... So what? I bet you if Melo made 36M a year in endorsements... and he was a free agent and GSW wanted him to replace Barnes...
I imagine Melo would've left NY for Cali.

The Melo hate is unreal. This thread has turned into bashing Melo bc he turned down CHI for NYK (120 vs 70 mil) and using KD as the example (turning down 244 M for 165 M)?

Maybe Melo stayed in NY bc he would rather win in NY and finish what he set out to do... You say he simply took the most money... You have every right to your opinion. I probably mostly agree. But, the fact remains, you don't know for sure. If you feel you are right, and know Melo's heart and soul... Then you are as rigid as a universal constant.

Tkf

Benchwarmer

the having no tax in florida is a weak excuse, those guys buy houses and property tax is very expensive, the state tends to make up for it.. the fact is they took less.. why is irrelevant here..

KD is taking less money and who cares how much he makes off court.. arent players supposed to make a killing in NY off court? so why is no one taking discounts including that bum carmelo? another weak argument..

and your comment about clemens is ridiculous...He left boston, doesn't matter what happened there, he went to toronto and rolled off consecutive cy young awards!!! he was a stud and the best pitcher in the AL probably baseball and he came to a yankee team that was loaded and already a champion.. the situation is very similar to that of Durant....

let me ask you this question.. switch teams.. the knicks would the warriors.. would you be saying the same thing?

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Durant is a hypocrite but he's still forgoing future money by leaving. I don't like what he did, it was a punk move but I understand it more as I've come to understand this generation more.

Maf you're trying to redo math that has already been done for you. If he stayed in OKC and let's assume he wins at least 1 chip there because you know they were up 3-1 and had a shot at another Finals appearance...then Durant would continue to bring in the money by the droves off the court.

Before Lebron re-upped his Nike deal recently, Durant had the largest sneaker deal "while in OKC". It's a 10yr deal I believe it's not going to be renegotiated for a while. He endorses Sprint/Sonic/Degree/Gatorade/EA Sports/Orange Leaf/BBVA/SkullCandy/Panini/Sparkling Ice etc etc makes about $35mil/yr this yr alone "while in OKC".

How much more do you think he'll get? He has to win right? Well the same would apply in OKC had he stayed. He would have to win to grow his net worth nothing has changed here.

He may hit some incentive numbers by being in GSW on certain deals and pick up a couple extra marketing deals but let's not go overboard. He'll also take some tax hits by being in the Bay Area vs Oklahoma. I'm strictly referring to his NBA earnings only. He forfeited lots of future guaranteed money. END OF STORY!

As far as Melo goes once again get real...where was Melo going to go outside of New York and make more money without winning? I'll wait

Dirk may have taken a paycut when he was older but context is very important here...Dirk took paycut while he was still productive and it was massive. He got Max offers from Houston and Lakers for $97mil which could have been his last and took $25mil instead. There's no way to try and minimize what he did here, real shameful actually

BINGO!! 100% truth

mafra

Legend
I have not idea what your ramblings even suggest. I've stated a few times I have no problem with KD going to GSW... He probably put a target on his back and took the harder road... Would've been easier to stay in OKC.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I have not idea what your ramblings even suggest. I've stated a few times I have no problem with KD going to GSW... He probably put a target on his back and took the harder road... Would've been easier to stay in OKC.
how is that? easier for who? for those who don't want to see a loaded team? do you think there was not a lot of pressure to win in OKC?

If he is willing to put a target on his back, then good for him, shows that he believes in himself and his new situation.. shouldn't you admire that?

Broadway

All Star
It's short-sighted to think KD forfeited money in year 4-6 Oma deal he'll sign after next season... Who is to say he won't opt out after the 3rd year and sign another deal?

Of course he left money on the table... So what? I bet you if Melo made 36M a year in endorsements... and he was a free agent and GSW wanted him to replace Barnes...
I imagine Melo would've left NY for Cali.

The Melo hate is unreal. This thread has turned into bashing Melo bc he turned down CHI for NYK (120 vs 70 mil) and using KD as the example (turning down 244 M for 165 M)?

Maybe Melo stayed in NY bc he would rather win in NY and finish what he set out to do... You say he simply took the most money... You have every right to your opinion. I probably mostly agree. But, the fact remains, you don't know for sure. If you feel you are right, and know Melo's heart and soul... Then you are as rigid as a universal constant.

I see your point on what this appears to be but it usually starts with someone always trying to find ways to CHURCH up Melo. This is a Durant thread so why even find ways to insert him into the conversation? There is a Stickied thread dedicated just for him and his GREATNESS.

I wasn't really trying to bash Melo, really I wasn't. More so trying to keep it factual and not emotional or tug at hearts strings.

I was using facts to back up my points on what Durant ultimately decided to do. Heck I was even wrong! I thought his decision would at least factor money for a another yr with OKC just to buy them a little more time. I get what some of you are saying, looking at his annual salary on his new contract,...no technically in that sense Durant isn't taking a noticeable paycut. But when htr10 said..."in the long run" that's a qualifier thus needing further examination and yes Durant gave up lots future guaranteed financial flexibility by leaving OKC.

Is he hurting for money NOAP!...can he still make a buttload of cash in a collective coup in the bay area playing for gsw YUUP!...but not as much had he stayed. Also I didn't shape my argument around assuming he wins at either destination. I strictly based it on money he was entitled to in the future, that's it. Let's not assume he will win in GSW already, but his chances are really good.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I defend Melo on some things, but he still never showed that he was willing to take a significant paycut for the better of our team. However, people making him out to be a bad person based on his contract and the negotiations he had for it are ignorant, as we all are here to knowing what kind of person he really is.

I'm looking forward this Warriors team. I love their style of play, arena, logos, etc., although I would have liked to see them have another run with that same core, or at least won the championship this past season.

It's a shame that Thunder team didn't get another run either. I wonder if more will come out on why Durant left.