Felton Fires Off Some Words re Trade

Toons

is the Bo$$
wow....how quickly you all forget what felton brought to the table consistently. Denver is a better TEAM.

they have players and backups at every position. Anyone on denver can break out for a 20 pt game from pg straight up to centre. 4 players on denvers bench can bust out for a 25+ pt game. they have birdman, who was second in blocked shots last year recovering from injury.

i wanted the bird more than billups, he would have helped more.

douglas
fields
melo
mare
bird

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Last night:

Felton: 22 points and 12 assists
Lawson: 23 points and 10 assists

45 points and 22 assists out of the PG position is incredible. The Denver Nuggets are playing some great basketball. 5 players in double figures (+ two had 9 points) and 29 total assists. And last night was a sloppy game for them. I don't care who you are, those are incredible numbers. Meanwhile the Knicks can barely get 15 total assists with Amare and Melo taking all the shots and not passing the ball.

Felton is playing well in Denver, he played well in Charlotte.

He just wasn't that special for us. Yes his numbers were nice, but he didn't orchestrate our offense well, despite his 8 assists and his man to man defense was very bad since late december. Opposing point guards just blew by him.

His long range shooting was erratic.

I was very positive on him during preseason and november/december, however by January I was convinced that he wasn't what we need at the PG spot.

Of course D'Antoni burned him with all those minutes, but he also isn't in great shape. His body fat must be around 20% which is way too much for a pro athlete in his prime. He's a 28 minute a night guy.

Look how fit Toney is he can hustle for 40 minutes.

Melo could hit the gym during the offseason aswell. His body doesn't look well trimmed and cut, like Amar'e or Kobe or Wade.

Felton wasn't great for us?? He was definitely playing at an all star level for us early on before wearing down as the season went on. I think thats from too many minutes and we didn't really have much faith in Douglas to play consistent minutes as a backup point. But Rayray was no doubt more than we ever expected he would be for us in his short time here.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Better than Denver?

Our concern should be less about being better than Denver than about being good enough never to allow teams like Cleveland or Indiana beating us.

Plainly Denver is a much deeper team than we are. We have two offensive superstars, neither of whom is known for defense. But they are athletic as hell and should be able to play defense. We got a steal in Fields, Billups has lost a step or two, but he is still very good. Douglas is erratic.

We have no post presence from the center position and we need a point guard going forward. Billups will not last forever.

We might get lucky in the draft. We will have a pick somewhere between 17 and 20. But we have virtually no chance at Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan or anyone else like that, unless we drop Billups.

If we include Billups for whom there is a team option we will have committed for next year $18.52M for Melo, $18.27M for Amare', $14.20M for Billups, $4.360M for Turiaf (Player Option), $1.675M for Balkman, $1.145M for Douglas, $788K for Rautins, and $788K for Fields. The rookie scale for a pick in the 17 to 20 range would be at least $1.1M. Including the rookie, that would be 9 players. For cap purposes we must account for 12 players. The other three spots will be filled at the $476K minimum or another $1.428M. The total is $61.175M. This is above the current $58M cap and will certainly be above a new CBA cap - unless perhaps there is a hard cap.

If we do not exercise our option for Billups and if what we have to pay him for that exercise --about $4M -- is not included in our cap, then we drop $14.2M but add $476K. The arithmetic produces $47.451M.

I trust we want to sign Shawne Williams, but he is likely to cost a couple of million.

If we want to get a promising or already producing big, we've got to drop Billups. That will leave us really dry at PG. To the extent the new CBA has mid-level exceptions, perhaps someone will come to New York at a discount.

I acknowledge that Melo is indeed a superstar and that we now have two of them. However, I was not a fan of the trade. Although by no means a certainty, I think we might well have gotten him in free agency We now have no additional assets going forward. We may well be currently better but the further improvement necessary to make us among the elite teams will require some very substantial good fortune.

Denver is now my second favorite team.

HarshMello

Benchwarmer
Don't act like DEN "wanted" this trade to happen. They hated the idea of losing Melo. They had a 3 year offer on the table for like 45-60Mill. Melo REFUSED & they were FORCED to make a trade. DEN also hated losing Billups for "Felton". DEN's VP went on record & stated NY 'killed' DEN with this trade. I'm not saying Billups is a superstar but Denvers VP made it known that DEN just lost two superstars.

When MDA took the job not even 3 years ago; true Knick fans knew 4 things had to happen to A)Turn this Franchise around & B)Compete for the playoffs/championship. How quickly you all forget.

-Escape the cap hell Thomas left us in (which we did). 25%

-Turn over & scrap the enitre roster (which we did). 50%

-Land two of the NBA's top 10 superstars come 2010-2011 (which we did). 75%

-Replace Curry with our first true Center since the Ewing days (Which we'll have a chance to this offseason with either Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Nene or Dalembert).

Sorry if none of the above has been "good enough" for you all.

Denver has been outplaying us since the trade. Basketball is a 'team sport'. It's not a 'Fantasy league' where a great roster and stats are all that's required to win. Maybe they are playing better as a team without Melo ball hogging.

We want the championship, and we have a long way to go.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I think we gotta remember that this move isn't for this year... yeah Denver is playing better RIGHT NOW but they have less and so its easier to figure out... Not only our roster changed but the philosophy so we ride out this season... get into the playoffs and fight... when all the dust settles then we plug the holes in the roster and go through training camp as a unit... Mark my words- this time next year Denver wont be in the conversation while NY is a solid 3-4 seed with home court advantage.

Denver has been outplaying us since the trade. Basketball is a 'team sport'. It's not a 'Fantasy league' where a great roster and stats are all that's required to win. Maybe they are playing better as a team without Melo ball hogging.

We want the championship, and we have a long way to go.

Unfortunately this is true. In every fantasy league I've participated in my life, the one with the best roster (most stars) on paper has won the trophy.

In real life it's different though.

Maybe we need to wake up. I thought that we are a semi-contender after the trade, however it doesn't seem to be the case (yet). 2 superstars and a veteran all star don't seem to be enough with mediocre role players and a 'strange' coaching staff.

KingCharles34

All Star
The Nuggets have beaten some solid opponents.

That 7 games in 10 nights bs is no excuse.

Stop making excuses for this team.

Real talk homie Im from CT and hate the huskies but they played 5 games without any rest, they won all 5

wow....how quickly you all forget what felton brought to the table consistently. Denver is a better TEAM.

they have players and backups at every position. Anyone on denver can break out for a 20 pt game from pg straight up to centre. 4 players on denvers bench can bust out for a 25+ pt game. they have birdman, who was second in blocked shots last year recovering from injury.

i wanted the bird more than billups, he would have helped more.

douglas
fields
melo
mare
bird

c/s your post up until when u said u would prefer birdman over billups. I disagree only because birdman is mid aged and very injury prone, also Douglas is a very inconsistent player.

But yes, denver is better then us still. If the Knicks can get things going that can change by the end of the season but they have a better record for the whole year and they have a better record since the trade

STAT1

Starter
Last night:

Felton: 22 points and 12 assists
Lawson: 23 points and 10 assists

45 points and 22 assists out of the PG position is incredible. The Denver Nuggets are playing some great basketball. 5 players in double figures (+ two had 9 points) and 29 total assists. And last night was a sloppy game for them. I don't care who you are, those are incredible numbers. Meanwhile the Knicks can barely get 15 total assists with Amare and Melo taking all the shots and not passing the ball.

I think you have to remember it also took the Miami Heat a little while before they got in synch. When you have 2 alpha dogs trying to figure out how to play together you're bound to run into chemistry issues. These guys are great players they will figure things out but Knicks fans want immediate results understandably after what we gave up & seeing the Nuggets have success with our players they don't want to see this team struggling to play over .500 basketball. Still you have to give this team some time to gel. The Nuggets aren't trying to incorporate star players their guys are just doing what they're already used to doing playing supportive roles for one another, it's not surprising to me to see them have more immediate success, but we'll see how the tables turn once the playoffs come around & the Nuggets are looking for a go to guy in crunchtime my bet is they'll be missing the loss of Melo & Billups bigtime.

la2ny

Starter
I cant believe there is even a debate as to whether who won the deal. WE DID! End of story. The Nuggets will fall back to Earth soon enough. This is who they've played:

Memphis-W
Boston-W(shorthanded)
@ Portland-L
Atlanta-W
Charlotte-W
@ Utah-W(almost choked to the D-Will-less Jazz, but got bested by Kirelenkos' choke)
@ LAC-L
@ PHX-W
Detroit-W
@ New Orleans-W
Doesn't seem like they have been through hell since the trade. These next 3 games they play(all on the road) against ATL,Orl,Mia will be losses and bring their "AMAZING RECORD" to 8-5 since the trade -__- ....

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
la2ny said:
These next 3 games they play(all on the road) against ATL,Orl,Mia will be losses and bring their "AMAZING RECORD" to 8-5 since the trade -__- ....
DEN @ ATL 102:87, sorry dude.

mafra

Legend
I cant believe there is even a debate as to whether who won the deal. WE DID! End of story. The Nuggets will fall back to Earth soon enough. This is who they've played:

Memphis-W
Boston-W(shorthanded)
@ Portland-L
Atlanta-W
Charlotte-W
@ Utah-W(almost choked to the D-Will-less Jazz, but got bested by Kirelenkos' choke)
@ LAC-L
@ PHX-W
Detroit-W
@ New Orleans-W
Doesn't seem like they have been through hell since the trade. These next 3 games they play(all on the road) against ATL,Orl,Mia will be losses and bring their "AMAZING RECORD" to 8-5 since the trade -__- ....

While I agree with you... You have to admit, at least DEN is beatting the teams it should beat. I mean, NY lost 4 games to CLE-INDY. Sure, we beat NO too, and took care of MIA, ATL & MEM...

BUT, Knicks could have had Felton-LAwson combo. I think the joke is always on this franchise. The DOLAN CURSE. Dolan just had to have Carmelo. If he waited and let Walsh do his thing... THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENS is Carmelo goes to NJ and Utah calls us and we end of with Deron Williams.

Deron is obviously the better fit here. Oh well. Our happiest moment in years lasts about 4 days.

Just the bad luck that haunts this team.

Can't blame the owner though. We were desperate I guess. LOL/