Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Atlanta Hawks 3:00 pm 1/29/2017 [Game#49]

mafra

Legend
(CBS Sports)

By Matt Moore

You might think the Knicks-Hawks four-overtime affair on Sunday, which ended in a heartbreaking 142-139 loss for the Knicks, was an exceptional game. It wasn't. Yes, it was just the 10th game in NBA history to go to at least quadruple-overtime, but it wasn't close to the highest scoring game in NBA history. And it won't go down as an instant classic, either. The Hawks won the fourth overtime with a 94.1 offensive rating, which is abysmal.

Both teams played hard, but man, they didn't play well. The Hawks managed to outlast the Knicks based on Carmelo Anthony fouling out after scoring 45 points, Dennis Schr?der making a few tough layups and Paul Millsap coming up with a huge offensive rebound and putback late. Millsap wound up with 37 points, 19 rebounds and seven assists after playing an insane 60 minutes.

That ties Millsap for the 8th most single-game minutes since 1984.
Still, Anthony was the story -- his 45 points coming on a barrage of tough shots, the kind of buckets he's made his career on. Anthony was 8-of-15 from the five minute mark of the 4th quarter through his fouling out in triple-overtime, scoring 17 points and constantly answering every push from the Hawks.

He had help, as everyone contributed for the Knicks to keep them in it from Justin Holiday to Brandon Jennings, and especially Courtney Lee who hit this at the buzzer.

But of course, it wasn't enough. In typical Melo fashion, he had just five points on 2-of-5 shooting in the 3rd quarter as the Knicks threw away a 10-point second-quarter lead. One minute he disappears, the next minute he's blazing a trail of buckets that are literally unguardable. It was a great performance, overall, in a loss. Which kind of defines Anthony's career with the Knicks.

Anthony has been notably playing hard lately. Not just well; he typically plays well, at least in terms of his standards of getting buckets. But he's been really busting himself of late. He smothered Paul Millsap on the shot to try and win it in regulation, and made several hustle plays. On the shot to force overtime, he didn't settle for a mid-range jumper but instead went right at Millsap.

So Anthony is giving it his all, even while the Knicks continue to engage teams to try and construct a trade for the franchise icon. If that sounds familiar, someone noted this on Sunday:

(Basically saying this is the hardest he's seen Melo ball since end of days in dEN, then lists stat line comparison)

In his last five games with the Knicks, he's averaging 30 points and 7.4 rebounds while shooting 47 percent from the field and 41 percent from three. And yet in his 194 minutes across those games the Knicks have been outscored by 16 points and are 2-3.

Maybe he's trying to showcase himself for Doc Rivers and the Clippers. Maybe he's trying to show Phil Jackson what he's made of. But more likely, Anthony's doing the only thing he knows how to do, get buckets through his stress. Anthony has a no-trade clause, ultimately the decision rests with him. But if the Knicks decide they want him gone, he won't force them to be stuck with him. He's made that clear. So he's doing what he can, trying to turn the Knicks' season around with what he can do, scoring, and if this is his last week in New York, at least he can say he went out giving his best effort.

So ultimately, the numbers were there, the big shots were there, the vanishing act was there, the clutch performance was there, the loss was there, and the frustration was there, all in a four-overtime game that seemed like an extraordinary moment in this Knicks season and yet, ultimately, seemed far too familiar for comfort.

mafra

Legend
(NY Daily News)

By Mike Lupica

Carmelo Anthony has to go now, that?s become clear, that?s a roar as loud as the new Second Ave. subway, nothing has changed in the past week. And because he seems to be on his way out of town, there is this sucker notion that Anthony is to blame for everything wrong with the current Knicks and not a roster and a coaching staff assembled by Phil Jackson. Right. Go with that.

If Anthony does go, if he can find a landing place with a real team like the Clippers, then he will better off. And Jackson must believe that somehow starting over ? again ? with the Knicks somehow saves him, keeps him around for the last two years of his contract and $24 million more of James Dolan?s money.

But it is worth remembering, as the chorus does rise up, and Carmelo Anthony does get blamed for everything except deals even Isiah Thomas made, that four years ago Anthony was first in the league in scoring and third in the MVP voting, on a Knicks team that won 54 games and beat LeBron and the Heat three times in the regular season and won the Atlantic Division. They also won the Knicks? first playoff series since 2000.

And here is what that means: Anthony was the star of the one truly good thing that has happened to the Knicks since Jeff Van Gundy walked away from coaching the team in December of 2001. It means that Anthony, if he gets traded today, has done more for the Knicks as a player than Jackson will ever do for them as an executive.

There was a great hue and cry when the MVP votes were counted in 2013 because LeBron ? still with the Heat at the time ? didn?t win his award unanimously. One guy ? Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe ? had cast a first-place vote for Anthony. And this is how Gary explained, really well I thought, in a column:

?Anthony led the league in scoring average and basically carried an old Knicks team to the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. Amar?e Stoudemire missed most of the season with knee issues, Raymond Felton missed six weeks, and Tyson Chandler dealt with nagging injuries, leaving Anthony, J.R. Smith, and a bunch of lottery picks from the mid-1990s to win 54 games and beat the Miami Heat three times.

?..So my vote had more to do with Anthony and less to do with the dominance of LeBron. If you were to take Anthony off the Knicks, they are a lottery team?. Stoudemire, an All-Star-caliber player when healthy, has been dealing with knee problems the past few years. Chandler is a defensive center, and Jason Kidd, Marcus Camby, and Rasheed Wallace are beyond aging. That leaves the scoring load to Anthony and the mercurial Smith

mafra

Legend
?I thought Anthony was the most valuable player to his team this season, not the best player in the league.?

You know how that ended. In Game 6 against the Pacers Roy Hibbert blocked him at the rim in a huge moment at the end of the game and so there was no Game 7 at the Garden and no shot at the Heat in the Eastern Conference finals.

Four years later after he averaged 28.7 points a game to go with seven rebounds, and two years after Jackson threw $120 million and a no-trade clause to keep Anthony in New York, it is Anthony who is the face of all the Knicks? woes, Anthony who is keeping them from a bright future, Anthony who gets booed at the Garden even on nights like Friday night when he ends up making a big shot to win the Knicks a game against the Charlotte Hornets. Well, go ahead and boo, but Phil Jackson first.

After the Knicks did win those 54 games and did matter again, I asked Mike Woodson, the coach of the team, how he dealt with Carmelo in a season when he was the kind of success he was and so were the Knicks. ?I told him I was going to put it all on him, and make him accountable the way I was going to make A?mare and Tyson accountable,? Woodson said. ?I was going to hold them accountable because I was sure as hell going to be held accountable. You see what he did.?

Woodson is gone from the Garden now, replaced by Derek Fisher, to whom Jackson paid $25 million as a newbie and then fired when the bottom fell out last season. So it was only a year ago everything was Fisher?s fault. Just never Jackson?s. Somehow there?s the perception that drafting the kid, Porzingis, is still supposed to save him. And that everything is everybody else?s fault. It is an almost breathtaking lack of accountability.

This is the bill that is being presented to Carmelo Anthony: He came here to get paid, as much as he clearly came to love New York City. He got paid and then he got paid again. And now he has to be run out of town to save the Knicks, when we all thought it was Jackson?s job to save the Knicks.

Once, and not so terribly long ago, Anthony was the third-most valuable player in his league, at least according to the voters. If the same voters voted on league executives, where would Jackson rank right now? Who would want to trade for him?

One NBA coach to whom I spoke this week, one who wanted his name kept far away from the latest Knicks? drama and maybe the latest Knicks overhaul, put it this way:

?I know how much Phil won as a coach. Everybody in our game knows. But that was then. All he?s doing now is taking a rich man?s money.?

Broadway

All Star
You make it sound like KP is a bust, most of his shooting numbers are up from his rookie year, FT% is slightly down but his numbers are up across the board. He needs a better post game but I blame that on the Knicks for bringing him along slowly, being content to let him improve his perimeter skills but I think they emphasize post play at some point.

I do like Jokic, I heard a comment that he was the most skilled big man in the game even better than Cousins. Not sure I would go that far but he has improved I think more than KP has from last season. Towns remains the class of that draft though.

Mid December til now he's been very average to less than average. He had a hot start to the season but he isn't showing signs of improvement mo-to-mo. January was kind of awful considering...I know he was injured for a few games but still. Keep in mind his rookie campaign was really good but I'm referring to his actual game and not his collective averages which don't tell the full story all the time.

I mean Derrick Rose is having a good statistical yr by all accounts in comparison to his previous 4 but he has by no means shown he makes anyone on this team better other than himself. Stats can be very misleading. Today we saw the team be ultra competitive without him, not saying it would last the rest of season in similar fashion but point made as an example. I'm looking at #kporzee's complete game and I don't see any leaps.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
for a second there I thought you were talking about the knicks...

lol there is a difference

Hawks think they can make some noise in the playoffs(fake hustle), thus won't make the right decisions(trade their older vets now)...(e.g. not trading Horford and Carroll and losing them for basically nothing). Meanwhile I know Phil knows we're terrible and wants in the worst way to trade our vets. There's nothing to fake on our end other than the players and some in the organization thinking making the playoffs with a noticeably sub .500 record as some kind of accomplishment.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Hawks are garbage, a very fake team and they will regret not trading away Paul Milsap

So true .. more than half of the top 8 teams in the East are garbage .. the West coast teams are not far behind the garbage-East

Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
You make it sound like KP is a bust, most of his shooting numbers are up from his rookie year, FT% is slightly down but his numbers are up across the board. He needs a better post game but I blame that on the Knicks for bringing him along slowly, being content to let him improve his perimeter skills but I think they emphasize post play at some point.

I wouldnt call KP a bust but the Knicks streak of losing streaks puts KP in the middle of Melo/Rose and coach Jeff Horn loser strategy ....

I'm frustrated with Porzingis this season. He leads the league in average fouls per game and has missed a bunch of time with injuries. Those 2 things aren't magically going to go away if we trade Melo and make KP the focal point of the team.

mafra

Legend
He leads NBA is most foul-outs. I still wish we had KAT instead, but we foolishly won those final 2 games... vs aTL too. We move on. I like his toughness tho and he seems coachable and willing to play defense.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm frustrated with Porzingis this season. He leads the league in average fouls per game and has missed a bunch of time with injuries. Those 2 things aren't magically going to go away if we trade Melo and make KP the focal point of the team.
He hasn't found his niche in the league I don't think yet. In the long term I don't think you win with a 7'3" running out to the 3 pt line, fine if the Knicks want to let him shoot the 3 as the trailer in transition but we're going to get a coach in here one day that is going to see the light and they'll make him a C with a post game.