home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksBoston Celtics
Ryan Arcidiacono - Ankle (QUEST)Payton Prichard - Medical protocols (OUT)
Kemba Walker - Sore left knee (OUT)Brodric Thomas - Back problems (QUEST)
Nerlens Noel - Medical protocols (OUT)Bruno Fernando - Medical protocols (QUEST)
Derrick Rose - Ankle surgery (OUT)C.J. Miles - Medical protocols (QUEST)
Kevin Knox - Undisclosed (QUEST)Enes Freedom - Conditioning (QUEST)
-Sam Hauser - Medical protocols (QUEST)

Game Preview

Evan Fournier and the New York Knicks will look to carry over their momentum from a big comeback win against the Boston Celtics as the teams meet for the second time in three days on Saturday night in Boston.

Fournier had a career-high 41 points to help New York overcome a 25-point deficit in a 108-105 home win against Boston on Thursday.

R.J. Barrett sealed the Celtics' fate on a banked-in 3-pointer at the buzzer to send the Knicks to a second straight win and their fifth in seven games.

"Every time I shoot, I think it's going in. That was crazy," Barrett said. "Man, this was like a playoff game. It's crazy -- it was like the first game of the season, too. Whenever we play them, it's a battle."

New York outlasted Boston for a 138-134 double-overtime victory at home in the season opener for both teams on Oct. 20. The Celtics avenged the loss with a 114-107 home victory on Dec. 18 before coming up short against in New York.

On Thursday, Julius Randle contributed 22 points and eight rebounds while Immanuel Quickley scored 16 off the bench for the Knicks. Barrett finished with 13 points and six assists for New York.

Randle stole headlines for more than his play when he gave the hometown fans a thumbs down after making a basket in the fourth quarter during New York's comeback.

After the game, Randle said the gesture was a message to the fans for booing the team earlier in the game.

"Shut the (expletive) up," Randle told ESPN when asked about the meaning of his gesture. "You saw that. You saw what was going on out there."

Meanwhile, the Jayson Tatum-led Celtics will be trying to pick up the pieces after one of their worst collapses in franchise history.

The 25-point blown lead was the Celtics' seventh-largest in a loss and most since the team squandered a 24-point lead in a defeat at New Orleans last Feb. 21.

Tatum finished with 36 points, nine assists and six rebounds and made a tying stepback jumper with just over one second to play.

Tatum's co-star Jaylen Brown finished with only 16 points and seven rebounds. Brown was coming off a 30-point outing in Wednesday's loss to San Antonio and scored a career-high 50 in an overtime win versus Orlando last Sunday.

Dennis Schroder added 20 points off the Boston bench while Marcus Smart contributed 14 and five assists in the defeat.

The loss was the Celtics' second in a row and their 11th in 17 games overall.

"It's tough, but you know we've just got to regroup," Tatum said. "Obviously losses -- this stretch kind of is tough. You know, losing leads and just not finishing out in the fourth quarter."

Boston dropped into the No. 11 seed in the Eastern Conference and has a lot of work to do to return to contender status.

"I think you've got to look at the big picture and the grand scheme of things and look back to those years when we was going to the conference finals," Tatum said. "It makes you really appreciate those moments -- because it's hard."

Game preview courtesy of:
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

KingCharles34

All Star
Thanks for the game thread Rady. I think the deep post season that the J brothers (Jaylen and Jayson) got earlier in their careers has actually hurt their regular season performances. The first several years under coach Brad the Celtics played the game the right way without any of the one on one hero ball. They treated regular season games like they were playoff games and competed hard for 48 minutes

If they could ever get back to playing with the blue collar mindset they could be a top team again but for now hopefully the Celtics lack of chemistry and commitment to play hard for 48 minutes once again work against them

If we come to play hard and play to win we could very well finish the season 3 and 1 against the Celtics after tonight

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .. Thanks for the Game-Thread .. Another test for coach Thibs performance in a two game series. So far Thibs hasn't been doing good coaching 2 games or 7 games series as a Knicks coach.
I believe Boston head coach Udoka has spread all his disgust over Thursday game of losing a 25 pt lead to every player on Boston roster personally.

How will coach Thibs, and the Knicks react to a Mean Must Win Boston team in Boston tonight?
Will Thibs give them back their 25 pt lead to calm them down?
Did anyone ask Thibs & RJ Barrett how Boston's center Williams got 7 block shots in one game ???

Refs seem to be allowing a lot of physical play on both ends.

Randle with 3 early assists passing out of the double team. If RJ can keep knocking down open 3s, that should make Boston hesitate to continue to double team Randle.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks had a 8 pt lead when they took Quickley out the game.
Randles consecutive turnovers didn't help the Knicks increase the lead.
Randle cant get upset over Fans in MSG calling him out .. 38-42 Boston lead .. 2 min remain before halftime

Kiyaman

Legend
HalfTime .. Knicks 42 - Boston 44
No Evan Fournier tonight .. My wife asked, "if the Knicks are punishing Fournier for scoring 41 pts on Boston". She likes to Joke on My Knicks.

Thibs back to his old-self by decreasing the rotation to 8 players.
Betting on the Knicks 10 man rotation 70% winners. 9 man rotation 45% winners, 8 man rotation 25%
Quickley is bone tired from playing 22 min in the first half.
And Quickley has been our best reliable closer throughout this Protocol situation.
Obi Toppin only receive 5 min of playing time in the first half.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks 2nd half performance was a joke!
Way to much of Randle to Barrett, and Barrett to Randle on practically every Knicks offensive possession in the 2nd half of the game. Both Randle & Barrett playing Hero-ball in the 2nd half having no ball movement kept their teammates out the offense, which lead to Randle & Barrett combining for over 40 FG attempts in the game, when the Knicks team shot 79 FG attempts for the game.
Boston scored 21 pts off of Knicks turnovers, Randle played a very sloppy game while in control of the Knicks offense.
Well, at least Boston center Williams only Blocked 4 shots tonight, instead of 7.

Coach Thibs Seven in half Man Rotation (Obi 9 min) scored 33 pts in the 2nd half of the game, while Boston 9 man rotation scored 32 pts in the 3rd qtr.