Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Brooklyn Nets 4/5/2021 7:00 pm [Game #51]

Knicks have been having success executing Thibs? game plan and doubling Kyrie in the 4th. So, what do we do with less than a minute to go? Leave Payton in isolation on Kyrie and he drains the 3. We trail by 5. Kyrie has 40. Brutal.

I see Kyrie stripping Randle in my sleep at this point. Luckily we get the call and Randle trims the lead to 3.

The story of these closing minutes may end up being Noel?s 2 missed FTs and failing to double Kyrie on that one possession. We trail by 3 with 45 seconds to go. Nets ball.

Double team is effective and forces a turnover from Kyrie. Burks is cold blooded and nails the iso 3 to tie the game.

Kiyaman

Legend
Burks for the tied 3 .. bout time Burks get a shot in the 2nd half ....
Randle, Rose and RJ went one on one 4 or 5 straight times!! The trio of forced shots and turnovers SMH

Sigh. Knicks get the stop but another offensive board for Nets and get the foul. Green hits 2 clutch FTs. Knicks down by 2 with 3.7 to go. Knicks ball. Is Randle going to get stripped again to end a game? I almost can?t watch.

Randle misses and we lose by 2.

You can re-analyze every play of this game, but for me, Noel?s 2 missed FTs and failing to double team Kyrie when he drained that 3 with a minute to go sealed our fate.

Brutal loss.

This team competes every game. EVERY game. That is what a Thibodeau team does. I love that. Still, this has been a frustrating stretch as a Knicks fan.

We follow-up our stretch of winning 4 out of 5 by losing 4 out of 5. In the end, we are 0.500 over our last 10 game stretch, but disappointing after it looked like we were ready to make a run as the 4th seed. Now we?re clinging to the 8th seed. Still, 21 games left to play.

Kiyaman

Legend

You can re-analyze every play of this game, but for me, Noel’s 2 missed FTs and failing to double team Kyrie when he drained that 3 with a minute to go sealed our fate.

Brutal loss.

Certain Knick players should not be shooting 3 Ball shots, especially when we don't attack the offensive glass for the high bounce miss shot .. 14-29 from 3-ball line .. and 5 offensive rebounds.

mafra

Legend
Like I?ve been saying, by accident you would think a player wearing a NYK jersey can make a shot to win a game, as time expires. We?ve endured a ton of bricks. Enough mortar to build a castle.

We bragging about a big-5, but we couldn?t even beat the Nets with just Irving.

Another game we win with Halliburton over Obi.... I kid I kid...

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
It is me or Thibs is not very good at drawing out of bounds plan? nevertheless, we competed hard and we were playing good basketball most of the time. I think we should've gone for a three from IQ, Bull or Burks....

Even without Durant, Harden, and Blake Griffin, the Nets still have Kyrie, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green, and Joe Harris. Their roster is nuts.

Worth noting that replay shows that Payton waived off the double team on the play where Kyrie drained that huge 3 with a minute to go.

Thibs had solved Kyrie in the 4th. The double team had completely negated him in the 4th after playing dominant ball the first 3 quarters. Payton then waives off the double team on a critical late possession. Insane.

tiger0330

Legend
Even without Durant, Harden, and Blake Griffin, the Nets still have Kyrie, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green, and Joe Harris. Their roster is nuts.

Maybe the best roster of any of those rosters that were cobbled together around a big 3 like the Heat, Cavs, Dubs, Clips and Lakers. 4 of those 5 won World Championships and I expect the same for the Nets this season. We haven't even seen the best of them yet, yikes.

jimkcchief88

All Star

You can re-analyze every play of this game, but for me, Noel?s 2 missed FTs and failing to double team Kyrie when he drained that 3 with a minute to go sealed our fate.

Brutal loss.

Pretty much that was the game there:(

jimkcchief88

All Star
Kyrie killed us last night. That?s the difference between an all-star(Julius Randle) and a Superstar(Kyrie Irving). Even Kyrie?s fro was picked out and on point while JR seems happy knappy um um um 😳

Broadway

All Star
Like I?ve been saying, by accident you would think a player wearing a NYK jersey can make a shot to win a game, as time expires. We?ve endured a ton of bricks. Enough mortar to build a castle.

We bragging about a big-5, but we couldn?t even beat the Nets with just Irving.

Another game we win with Halliburton over Obi.... I kid I kid...

Mediocre is what Mediocre does

I see we lost another game against a decent opponent that was not at full strength

We?ve lost to the Nets(2), Sixers, Bucks, Mavs, Heat since the All-Star break I believe

The only team we beat were the Bucks who again, weren?t at full strength(no Middleton and Holiday).

Thibs is clearly trying to wins gms going super vets centric, not really happy with his coaching this yr

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Yeah, some of these games are Pyrrhic victories. And, to be honest, if Ball can?t elevate Zion and Ingram, how much better does he really make us? Ball-RJ-Randle is a 44 win grinder team, but nothing special.