i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York Knicks
Cleveland Cavaliers
Josh Hart - Left ankle sprain (QUEST)Dylan Windler - Sprained left foot (OUT)
Isaiah Roby - Right ankle sprain (OUT)-

Game Preview

New York Knicks swingman Josh Hart walked into his postgame press conference Saturday night wearing a Jalen Brunson T-shirt.

But maybe Brunson and the rest of the Knicks should have been sporting Hart T-shirts.

Hart's heroics came with a setback -- he sprained his ankle late in the win -- but his status went from doubtful to questionable for Game 2 on gameday. The Knicks attempt to build on their lead in an Eastern Conference first-round series Tuesday night when they visit the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 2 of the best-of-seven set.

Hart and Brunson each came up big in the fourth quarter Saturday night, when the Knicks squandered all of a 10-point lead before recovering to edge the host Cavaliers 101-97.

The duo combined to score 16 of the Knicks' 23 fourth-quarter points and were especially effective over the final two minutes, when they scored the first seven points of the Knicks' game-ending 9-4 run.

The Cavaliers scored nine unanswered points to take a 93-92 lead on Jarrett Allen's tip-in with 2:12 left. After a timeout, Hart sank a long 3-pointer and grabbed the rebound when Donovan Mitchell missed a potential go-ahead 3-pointer with 1:32 left.

Brunson then hit a stepback jumper from the foul line to extend the Knicks' lead to 97-93. Mitchell drained a pair of free throws, and Hart missed a long 2-pointer before Brunson converted a floater.

"When you're in adverse situations, you either crumble or you band together and come out on top," Hart said following the first playoff game of his six-year career. "We didn't get frustrated or rattled."

Brunson earned the T-shirt treatment by scoring 21 points in the second half after being limited to nine minutes because of foul trouble in the first half. But Hart's rare double-double off the bench set the tone for New York, whose bench outscored Cavaliers reserves 37-14.

"We needed everyone," Thibodeau said.

Hart had 17 points and 10 rebounds, the first Knicks reserve with a double-double in a playoff game since J.R. Smith had 15 points and 10 rebounds against the Indiana Pacers on May 18, 2013.

But Hart's left ankle sprain limited him in Monday's practice. The Knicks initially listed him as doubtful for Game 2 and Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said Hart's status will depend on how he feels Tuesday. After shootaround, all signs were positive that Hart would be ready for the second game in the series.

The Cavaliers, who are in the playoffs without LeBron James on their roster for the first time since the spring of 1998, nearly pulled off the win while relying mostly on Mitchell and Allen. Mitchell played 43:38 while scoring 38 points and Allen had a double-double (14 points, 14 rebounds) in 43 minutes.

But the complete nature of the Knicks' win and urgency with which New York played the final minutes served to remind the Cavaliers they'll likely need a more balanced effort to earn their first playoff series win since the final season of James' second tenure in the spring of 2018.

"It's the playoffs -- you've got to do what's necessary," said Mitchell, who cut his arm while soaring into the stands chasing down a long rebound late in the first half. "Every possession matters."

The Cavaliers' Darius Garland (43 minutes) joined Mitchell and Allen in playing at least 40 minutes Saturday, when only three Knicks -- Hart along with Julius Randle and RJ Barrett -- played more than 30 minutes. Forward Cedi Osman led Cavaliers reserves with nine points.

"Obviously, our bench has to give us a spark," Cavaliers coach J.B. Bickerstaff said. "We'll go back, we'll take a look at it. But at some point in time, you've got to find a way to just put the ball in the basket. And I thought that unit kind of struggled there."

--Field Level Media

( STATS / cbssports.com )

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .. Thanks for the Game Thread ..
Another Knicks win in Cleveland is not asking for to much ???
It was funny watching Josh Hart wearing a Brunson T-Shirt, when it should've been the other way around

Kiyaman

Legend
Charles Barkley says 1-1 .... Our bench players going to prove him wrong.
Toppin 3, Brunson 2, Hart 2, Knicks on 7-0 run .... Garland's face ran into Toppin elbow!
End of First Quarter .. Knicks 22 - Cavs 25

Kiyaman

Legend
Half Time .. Knicks 39 - Cavs 59
The Knicks had 14 turnovers in the first half and down by 20 pts.
The Cavs did a switch up on the Knicks.
Donovan Mitchell took 30 FGA in Game 1, but only took 4 FGA in the first half for 6 pts in Game 2
Garland took 10 FGA for 26 pts in the half.

Barrett 1-6 .........

Kiyaman

Legend
End of 3rd Quarter .. Knicks 60 - Cavs 82
Brunson played 31 minutes
.......................................Put Deuce in the game !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
O.K. 7 minutes remain in game Knicks 69 - Cavs 93
Coach Thibs put Randle & Brunson back into the game 2 minutes later
Knicks 72 - Cavs 99
Randle, Brunson, and RJ with 31 shots...Everyone else 7 shots.
Old Fashion but whipping !!!
No more to say !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Just when I was changing the channel to Celtics vs Hawks game ... Randle comes down-HARD on his back in GARBAGE TIME !!!
Announcers bring back D.Rose last two serious injuries under coach Thibs in Garbage time.
This is why players don't want to play for Thibs.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
As poorly as IQ, RJ, QG, OBI have played the first 2 games, Knicks are fortunate they’re returning to NY split 1-1

They won’t win series though with just Brunson, Randle, Hart.

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
have to say I am agreeing with Dark on RJ.
I mean at some point just don't take a # and drive to the hoop.
He just does not seem to have that edge or confidence that very good players have.
He needs to be super aggressive and not afraid to take a hard foul when driving.
hanging on the arc is useless.
the Guy has the talent as we have seen but just has that deer in the headlights look way too often.

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
Just when I was changing the channel to Celtics vs Hawks game ... Randle comes down-HARD on his back in GARBAGE TIME !!!
Announcers bring back D.Rose last two serious injuries under coach Thibs in Garbage time.
This is why players don't want to play for Thibs.
Guess thats why players picked Thibs as the least desirable coach to play for. Citing these exact reasons.

Kiyaman

Legend
have to say I am agreeing with Dark on RJ.
I mean at some point just don't take a # and drive to the hoop.
He just does not seem to have that edge or confidence that very good players have.
He needs to be super aggressive and not afraid to take a hard foul when driving.
hanging on the arc is useless.
the Guy has the talent as we have seen but just has that deer in the headlights look way too often.

After 4 seasons of watching RJ Barrett his pay grade and role on the Knicks should be the same as Deuce McBride & Sims.
A lot of Barrett's problems falls on not having a strategical head coach on offense/defense to give Barrett a role to perform in the last 4 seasons. Barrett have been a poor Guard, and a poor forward on both sides of the court.
To sum it up, Barrett is 6-25 from the FG in the playoff.

The Knicks have a head coach that cant be trusted!
In Game 2 ..
Garbage Time was at the start of the 4th Quarter .. Cavs up by 22
The Knicks center MitchRob was given 21 minutes of playing time, and his backup Hartenstein was given 27 minutes of playing time. While the Cavs two big-men 6.9 Jarrett Allan played 35 minutes, and 6.11 Mobley played 39 minutes .. both big men shot 50% or better from the FG without MitchRob on the court.
MitchRob had to average 4 to 5 offensive rebounds a game for FOUR seasons to average 3 to 5 FGA a game.
For FOUR seasons I watched Randle & Barrett only throw waste-passes or bounce-passes to their BIG-MAN MitchRob, which a head coach should've corrected 3 seasons ago.
Yet! Brunson been throwing above the rim lobs to MitchRob & Toppin to get the crowd standing !!!