i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York Knicks
Cleveland Cavaliers
Quentin Grimes - Right shoulder contusion (QUEST)Dylan Windler - Left foot sprain (OUT)
Jericho Sims - Sore right shoulder (OUT)-

Game Preview

The New York Knicks can close out their first-round Eastern Conference playoff series on Wednesday night when they face the Cleveland Cavaliers on the road in Game 5.

A win would give the Knicks their first playoff series victory in a decade.

New York took a 3-1 series lead on Sunday with a 102-93 win at home. Jalen Brunson scored 29 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished six assists, while RJ Barrett added 26 points.

The Knicks held the Cavaliers to 36-of-77 shooting (46.8 percent) from the floor, including 6-of-23 from 3-point range, in Sunday's win. In all three wins, New York has kept Cleveland to fewer than 100 points scored, with the 79 points allowed in a 20-point Game 3 win on Friday marking the lowest output for any team of this postseason.

New York has also held the rebounding advantage in each of its three wins: 51-38 in the 101-97 Game 1 triumph, 45-42 in the Game 3 blowout, and 47-33 on Sunday. The Knicks grabbed 17 offensive boards in Game 4, an improvement over their 12.6-per game average in the regular season.

That number was good enough for third in the NBA.

"Our rebounding today was big," Obi Toppin said in Sunday's postgame press conference. "I was a lot more physical today."

Five of Toppin's eight rebounds off the bench were on the offensive end, as the third-year forward capitalized on his most minutes played yet in the postseason. He logged 20:01, almost five more than his time played in Game 3.

Toppin's increased role was in part due to Julius Randle's struggles. Randle scored just seven points on 3-of-10 shooting from the floor and grabbed just two rebounds in 27:18.

Randle (ankle) missed the last five games of the regular season, but the two-time All-Star and Knicks' leader in both scoring (25.1 points per game) and rebounding (10 per game) during the regular season returned with a double-double in Game 1 and scored 22 points in Game 2.

In New York's two games at home, he managed just 18 combined points on 6-of-25 shooting and was benched late in Game 4.

"At the end of the day, I just want to win," Randle told reporters at Tuesday's media availability. "I'm a competitor. Obviously I would like to play ... but like I said it's (Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau's) decision."

Cleveland's own All-Star, Donovan Mitchell, dealt with offensive issues in Game 4, as well. He finished with 11 points, his lowest point output since Feb. 2, and the third consecutive game in the series in which Mitchell fell short of his 28.3-point per game average in the regular season.

The Cavaliers' interior duo of Jarrett Allen and Evan Mobley combined for 26 points and 11 rebounds in Game 4. Allen averaged 9.8 boards and Mobley 9.0 per game in the regular season.

"We have to grow in a hurry," Cavaliers coach J.B. Bickerstaff said postgame. "Understanding what's on the line, understanding how in playoff basketball, which was something we talked about during the regular season, you don't flip switches.

"We've been talking about our success of going quickly when we learn from our mistakes. And in these three games we haven't learned quickly enough and they've made us pay."

--Field Level Media

( STATS / cbssports.com )

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .. Thanks for the Game Thread .... I'm still amazed at being 3-1 in a playoff series against the Cavs.
I predict the Knicks vs Cavs was gonna be a 7 Game series. But then I also predict the Bucks was gonna beat the Heat 4-0 in a series.
MitchRob & Hartenstein performance was above outstanding in this series vs the Cavs.
And Brunson & Josh Hart put a new consistent twist to the old Knicks up & down performance.
The media is making a real big thing bout Randle being bench in the 4th quarter, instead of the WIN giving credit to the Knicks players for being on a 3-1 roll in the series.
How much playing time will coach Thibs give (a SLUMP) Randle tonight ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Quickley & Barrett are ready for the 2nd quarter
Toppin to Barrett for 2
Barrett to Toppin for a Mobley steal
Hartenstein OWN both boards.
Barrett picked up 2nd foul
Quickley for another 3
Knicks 45 - Cavs 33 .. a little under 7 min before Half

mafra

Legend
61-51 at the half. Randle landed on CL’s foot and left game. Personally, I would have held him out tonight to get healthier. Knicks have led most of the way… finish this! This would be a great win!

Kiyaman

Legend
Half Time .. Knicks 61 - Cavs 51

MitchRob 7 pts, 2 Blocks, and 5 offensive rebounds in first half
Brunson 17 pts
Randle 13 pts
Barrett 11 pts
Quickley 11 pts

Kiyaman

Legend
Brunson played 20 minutes, and Hart played 23 minutes in the First Half ..
A tired Brunson & Hart going down the stretch of the game vs Mitchell & Garland worries me.
Oh yeah, Toppin played 7 min in the first half .....

mafra

Legend
11 OFF rebounds from MRob. RJ second best player on team last 3 games. Only 21. Not a good night for the anti Barrett cartel

Go NY Go