i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York Knicks
Miami Heat
Jericho Sims - Sore right shoulder (OUT)Jimmy Butler - Sprained right ankle (QUEST)
-Caleb Martin - Back contusion (QUEST)
-Haywood Highsmith - Left knee tendinitis (PROB)
-Victor Oladipo - Patellar tendon surgery (OUT)
-Tyler Herro - Broken right hand (OUT)

Game Preview

Jimmy Butler's ailing right ankle may be the biggest factor in the lead-up to Saturday afternoon's Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal matchup between the New York Knicks and the host Miami Heat.

Butler sprained his ankle late in the Heat's 108-101 victory in the series opener on Sunday. Butler missed Game 2, and New York took advantage by recording a 111-105 win.

By the time Game 3 tips off, Butler will have had five full days of rest and treatment since his injury. He did "work" in Friday's practice, Heat head coach Eric Spoelstra said, adding "We know what his intentions are."

The club listed Butler as questionable for the contest.

"As a guy who knows how competitive (Butler) is, I would be optimistic," Heat guard Kyle Lowry said.

"But who knows? We'll see what happens on Saturday."

In the regular season, the Heat had three players average at least 20 points per game -- Butler (22.9), Bam Adebayo (20.4) and Tyler Herro (20.1). But Herro is out for the rest of the series due to a broken hand, and Butler is injured, putting in doubt the availability of a player who is averaging 35.5 points, 6.8 rebounds and 4.7 assists in the playoffs.

Since the injury, though, Butler has been easy to find.

"Every time I've seen him, he's been getting treatment," Heat power forward Kevin Love said. "It's a good sign he's not limping too much."

Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau was asked if he will prepare for Butler's return on Saturday.

"You already know the answer to that," he said. "We will."

Thibodeau said he feels good that he has seen Miami's plan with and without Butler in the first two games of the series. Without him, Miami's offense recorded 10 more attempts from 3-point range in Game 2.

As for the Knicks, point guard Jalen Brunson answered a 25-point performance in the series opener with a 30-point effort in Game 2.

However, Brunson's 3-point shot has been key. In the Knicks' series-opening loss, Brunson misfired on all seven attempts from beyond the arc. On Tuesday, he made 6 of 10 attempts from 3-point range.

"Jalen was fantastic," Thibodeau said. "It's who he is -- great leader, great toughness."

New York's top-three scorers during the regular season were Julius Randle (25.1), Brunson (24.0) and RJ Barrett (19.6).

Randle missed the opener of this series due to a left ankle injury. In Game 2, he collected 25 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists.

Barrett is averaging 25.0 points in this series.

The Knicks' group of role players includes Josh Hart, who was spectacular in Game 2 with 14 points, 11 rebounds and a game-high nine assists.

Hart fell one assist short of what would've been the Knicks' first playoff triple-double since Walt Frazier in Game 1 of the 1972 NBA Finals.

"My game is to have fun," Hart said, "to play carefree basketball."

Guard Immanuel Quickley, New York's sixth man, is just 1-for-8 on 3-pointers in the series.

But the Knicks have gotten production at center. In 47 combined minutes in Game 2, Mitchell Robinson and backup Isaiah Hartenstein combined for 14 rebounds, including seven on offense.

In fact, New York outworked Miami by nine rebounds in Game 1 and by 16 boards in Game 2.

"Rebounding is always key," Hartenstein said. "But we weren't physical enough in Game 1."

--Field Level Media

( STATS / cbssports.com )

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .. Thanks for Game 3 Playoff Thread ....
So what Buckets is back! I want Brunson's dynamics & MitchRob's dynamics to sweep the Heats in Miami
I also want Grimes back in the starter lineup, and Josh Hart coming off the bench lifting all the bench players up a level to a winning mode.

Hart in the starting lineup is not a good sign !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Brunsom & Randle turnover then Barrett & Hart turnover
Having 6.5 Hart defending 6.7 Butler at the start of the game is not a good sign.
13-6 Heats lead the first 5 min of the game.

Kiyaman

Legend
End of First Quarter .. Knicks 21 - Heats 29
Heats commit their first team foul 1 min remaining in quarter
Randle Brunson and Hart played all 12 minutes of the First Quarter.

Kiyaman

Legend
3 minutes in the 2nd quarter .. Knicks 25 - Heats 44 .... What is our head coach doing to us ???

In the regular season the Knicks 2nd unit was on FIRE when they started 2nd quarter having a Fresh Quickley, Hart, Toppin, Hartenstein, and Barrett.
Now in the Playoff, coach Thibs changes the starter lineup and rotation the same way when he made changes in the 1-4 playoff vs Hawks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Hart missed both FT showing he's not comfortable with Thibs changes
When u have several players uncomfortable u shoot 2-16 from 3's

Kiyaman

Legend
Half Time .. Knicks 44 - Heats 58

Randle & Brunson & Hart played 20 minutes in the first half, and the halftime score proves my point about coach Thibs changes.

Kiyaman

Legend
Why isn't Barrett defending Butler, and Hart defending Struss in the 2nd half of the game ???

6 minutes into the 3rd quarter .. Knicks 55 - Heats 73

mafra

Legend
Let’s see what Butler has physically on Monday, with the quick turnaround. Knicks only need to leave South Beach with 1. I still believe it’s MIA in 6 tho

But if Knicks get back to MSG 2-2, give fans a game 5… to experience that atmosphere… then this season is a complete success. If they lose Game 4, then nobody will believe in them again this season unless we’re prepping for Game 7 at home.

They need to hit some 3s. Randle and Brunson need to play better and match Jimmy & Lowry… but they also need more from their reserves: Obi, IQ, Randle. They need 30 points from this group minimum.

I wouldn’t count them out Monday. Just not sure about how healthy JB/JR are. RJ needs to step up and score 25 too.

Even if they win Monday, I see MIA taking Game 6. Anyway, Knicks need to force a game 6. Can’t bow out in 5. MIA wants it more, has the better roster and best player, they better coach and better org, they also have more playoff experience. This shouldn’t shock anybody nor is it an indictment on this team.

Go sign Dillon Brooks. Get a year tougher. Kids grow. Come back next year. Maybe make a lucky trade for BI or something. Don’t go crazy for second tier talent. Be ready for Giannis… lol.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks loss Game 1 from shooting 7-34 from 3's
The Knicks loss Game 3 from shooting 8-40 from 3's
Are the Knicks players uncomfortable shooting 3's or ???

metrocard

Legend
xCYwXOZ.jpg

other Knicks played poorly but the playoffs isn't the time for our highest paid player to be shooting worse than Shandon Anderson. The proof is in the pudding that Knicks will peak to the point where Randle isn't a dominant player, low efficiency stat filler. His defense gets overrated because Robinson is literally a dragon patrolling all areas on defense, hiding Julius weakness. Miami will exploit Julius forcing his offense into contested low % shots.

metrocard

Legend
Miami been setting illegal screens all series kinda funny how they get away with this and Knicks cant even touch a Miami defender off the pnr

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I think Grimes should go back to the starting lineup, his D is better than Hart, and Hart can be the spark and corner stone of the second unit....