Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Miami Heat 7:00 1/5/2018 [Game #39]

Broadway

All Star
This may be true, but think Jeremy Lin. We won’t know unless we try. I’m cool if you want to start Knits and let Burke play the 6th man role. Bottom line, there’s no point playing Jack anymore.

I mean sure call him up, we acquired him for a reason but we're not winning 9 of 10(that's what Lin did) with all these road gms on schedule all because he'd be manning the point. He's really a bummier version of prime Eddie House if anything

mafra

Legend
This the 3rd season KP disappeared after the new year .. Horn don't know how to play KP or what teammates push KP to hustle more .. KP is not a CENTER !!!

I agree. KP isn?t a center. Heck, he?s now morphed into what he was just first 2 years... just relying on his perimeter game. He?s young tho and I?m cool with him needing more time to grow. I can live with that. Same with Knits. I just think we need to adjust now... we are 18-21 and the season is pretty much done.... our schedule is too formidable.

We now should be prepping for 2018.... this means playing the kids... WHG and Burke, starting Knits and telling him to shoot the ball 15 times a game or else he?s benched the next hame.

Rest KP and save his body. Work with the foundation and building for next year.... Knits or KP should be taking shots late in games not vets like Lee and Jack.

mafra

Legend
I mean sure call him up, we acquired him for a reason but we're not winning 9 of 10(that's what Lin did) with all these road gms on schedule all because he'd be manning the point. He's really a bummier version of prime Eddie House if anything

I?m not expecting much.... but we are a team in rebuild mode... this means losing and winning isn?t the primary objective. Enough of this Lee and Jack crap late in games. Give Burke and Dotson some time to prove if they are part of the future.

Kanter, Beasley, Thomas, Lee should all be dealt.... if possible.

This isn?t a bad thing either.... losing that is. GSW or CLE will win it this year.... our focus should be about developing the core and getting bettter. Lee and Jack are stifling the offense... not moving the ball late in games.

Why is Jack playing 34 minutes?

mafra

Legend
BTw, has there ever been a worse team executing a play coming out of a timeout? My my is this tough to watch....

mafra

Legend
fter Doug McDermott forced overtime with a last-second 3-pointer, Beasley put the Knicks in front by two with 4:20 left in the extra session. But Beasley did what Beasley does. As he backpedaled past the Heat bench, taunting them, he tripped over Wayne Ellington?s feet and went down hard ? injuring his left ankle.

Knicks were 0-3 from Downtown in the first half!

In the end, it was another loss as the Knicks fell to 17-20. It is the first time they have been three games under .500 since starting the season 0-3. They are also 1-7 in their past eight games and 3-14 on the road.

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree. KP isn?t a center. Heck, he?s now morphed into what he was just first 2 years... just relying on his perimeter game. He?s young tho and I?m cool with him needing more time to grow. I can live with that. Same with Knits. I just think we need to adjust now... we are 18-21 and the season is pretty much done.... our schedule is too formidable.

We now should be prepping for 2018.... this means playing the kids... WHG and Burke, starting Knits and telling him to shoot the ball 15 times a game or else he?s benched the next hame.

Rest KP and save his body. Work with the foundation and building for next year.... Knits or KP should be taking shots late in games not vets like Lee and Jack.

We supposed to be training the KEEPERS for next season in these games before the all-star break n trading deadline .. but that's not how our coach n GM are working.
KP n Frank are the main KEEPERS .. both should've been on the court the final minute regulation n OT .. coach Horn is not developing or preparing the young or vets players to win close games like this one tonight to give us confidence for the next game .. I'm bout to say I'm tired too

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wow here we go the with the in-fighting. Anyone that bothers to follow this crappy franchise is a fan of some sort. I can?t root for losses because of the competitive nature of basketball. I?m not trying to lose a a game of nerf hoop. It?s funny we STILL need a PG and KP is now havin ?Melo problems? and cant even play the minutes Melo plays 10 years younger. CLEE is worthless, but we all know that. Just accept our draft pick between 7-10 and another player whose name none of us can pronounce:(

Wow here we go the with the in-fighting. Anyone that bothers to follow this crappy franchise is a fan of some sort. I can?t root for losses because of the competitive nature of basketball. I?m not trying to lose a a game of nerf hoop. It?s funny we STILL need a PG and KP is now havin ?Melo problems? and cant even play the minutes Melo plays 10 years younger. CLEE is worthless, but we all know that. Just accept our draft pick between 7-10 and another player whose name none of us can pronounce:(

It?s fine. I?m pissed off that we?re losing and Mafra is pissed off that we?re not going to lose enough. The core group of us on here have been through enough the last few years that infighting is a sign of some life left in us, not a return of the toxic old days of this forum.
- Signed, the fake fan bum.

jimkcchief88

All Star
It?s fine. I?m pissed off that we?re losing and Mafra is pissed off that we?re not going to lose enough. The core group of us on here have been through enough the last few years that infighting is a sign of some life left in us, not a return of the toxic old days of this forum.
- Signed, the fake fan bum.

That?s cool because I depend on your game play by plays

mafra

Legend
After a night?s sleep, I still can?t believe KP didn?t attempt a shot in OT or that Wayne Ellington attempted and made more 3s than the entire NYK team.

Anyway, saw this over at theknicksblog:

In the 2017 NBA Draft, the Knicks were positioned one place ahead of the Mavericks. Ostensibly, both franchises could be drafting point guards in the draft that was saturated with guards.

Rumors swirled with who the Knicks might take with the 8th overall pick. That, obviously, would directly impact Dallas' plans with the 9th pick. Many believed the Knicks would grab one of Malik Monk, Dennis Smith Jr. or Frank Ntilikina.

The Knicks, of course, drafted Ntilikina, leaving Smith Jr. to go to Dallas. Monk was drafted 11th by the Hornets. Had things been different, though, and New York had taken Smith Jr., Cuban says there was a 'very good chance' the Mavs would have grabbed the French rookie.

"We like Frank quite a bit," Cuban said, via NY Daily News. "If Dennis had been selected there was a very good chance we would have taken Frank."

This season, Smith has been statistically superior to Ntilikina. That's no surprise, given Smith's offensive game is what put him in the top ten while it was Ntilikina's defensive prowess.

Nonetheless, Smith is averaging 13.9 points on 40 percent shooting with 4.5 assists, 4 rebounds and 2.9 turnovers in 28 minutes per game. Ntilikina is averaging 5.8 points on 36 percent shooting with 3.4 assists, 2.4 rebounds and 1.8 turnovers in 21 minutes per game.

The Knicks face the Mavericks on Sunday at 7 p.m. in Dallas, where the two rookies will play each other for the first time.

After a night’s sleep, I still can’t believe KP didn’t attempt a shot in OT or that Wayne Ellington attempted and made more 3s than the entire NYK team.

In the 2017 NBA Draft, the Knicks were positioned one place ahead of the Mavericks. Ostensibly, both franchises could be drafting point guards in the draft that was saturated with guards.

Rumors swirled with who the Knicks might take with the 8th overall pick. That, obviously, would directly impact Dallas' plans with the 9th pick. Many believed the Knicks would grab one of Malik Monk, Dennis Smith Jr. or Frank Ntilikina.

The Knicks, of course, drafted Ntilikina, leaving Smith Jr. to go to Dallas. Monk was drafted 11th by the Hornets. Had things been different, though, and New York had taken Smith Jr., Cuban says there was a 'very good chance' the Mavs would have grabbed the French rookie.

"We like Frank quite a bit," Cuban said, via NY Daily News. "If Dennis had been selected there was a very good chance we would have taken Frank."

This season, Smith has been statistically superior to Ntilikina. That's no surprise, given Smith's offensive game is what put him in the top ten while it was Ntilikina's defensive prowess.

Nonetheless, Smith is averaging 13.9 points on 40 percent shooting with 4.5 assists, 4 rebounds and 2.9 turnovers in 28 minutes per game. Ntilikina is averaging 5.8 points on 36 percent shooting with 3.4 assists, 2.4 rebounds and 1.8 turnovers in 21 minutes per game.

The Knicks face the Mavericks on Sunday at 7 p.m. in Dallas, where the two rookies will play each other for the first time.

For the 2017-18 season, Frank Ntilikina's combined plus/minus is minus 3. That's minus 0.08 per game. https://www.foxsports.com/nba/new-york-knicks-team-stats?season=2017&category=MISC&time=0

For the 2017-18 season, Dennis Smith Jr's combined plus/minus is minus 170. That's minus 4.25 per game. https://www.foxsports.com/nba/dallas-mavericks-team-stats?season=2017&category=MISC&time=0

For reference, for the 2017-18 season, the Knicks team plus/minus is minus 0.8 per game and the Mavericks team plus/minus is minus 2.4 per game.

mafra

Legend
I was looking at the offensive stats and DSJ certainly isn?t blowing Knits away. He?s playing 7 more minutes a game, is the focal point of his team?s offense, and yet he?s only averaging 8 more points and shooting 4% more. He has more assists bc he dominates the ball more (or maybe his teammates knocking down shots).

Safe I say, had we went DSJ over Frank, we would lament not taking Mitchell still.

Frank is one of youngest players in NBA. I think he?s already shown enough to offer fans hope. He certainly won?t be a bust. Will he be a Shump or a Rondo? Nobody knows what?s in his heart.... he certainly has lots of room to grow as a player... I look forward to watching him become something more...

Anyway, this isn?t another Jordan Hill scrub. At the least we have a Johnny Newman (remember our MJ stopper). I see room to mature as a scorer. He may not excel at shooting and driving but at least he?s shown he?s capable to do both.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Frank hasn't attempted to score a lot, but lately not only has he attempted more, but he's been trying more skilled shots and scoring them. He's 19. If he turns out to be a Rondo-type player, the draft pick would be a great success.

Kiyaman

Legend
After a night?s sleep, I still can?t believe KP didn?t attempt a shot in OT or that Wayne Ellington attempted and made more 3s than the entire NYK team.

SLOW DOWN .. on the Frank Nitty vs Dennis Smith Jr. draft pick .. the Mavs organization VS Knicks organization are two complete different organization .. the Mavs number one top Fan is the owner Cuban .. the Mavs head coach Carlisle has been a Top 10 coach since Detroit Pistons won the championship .. the Mavs also has a veteran leader franchise player Dirk.
The Knicks organization doesn't have none of the above .. the Knicks are being reborn in the 2017-18 season .. the 19 yr old rookie Frank Nitty gives us defensive stability at the point for the future.
Head coach Jeff Hornacek's offense is questionable .. his defense is nonexistent !!!

tiger0330

Legend
For the 2017-18 season, Frank Ntilikina's combined plus/minus is minus 3. That's minus 0.08 per game. https://www.foxsports.com/nba/new-york-knicks-team-stats?season=2017&category=MISC&time=0

For the 2017-18 season, Dennis Smith Jr's combined plus/minus is minus 170. That's minus 4.25 per game. https://www.foxsports.com/nba/dallas-mavericks-team-stats?season=2017&category=MISC&time=0

For reference, for the 2017-18 season, the Knicks team plus/minus is minus 0.8 per game and the Mavericks team plus/minus is minus 2.4 per game.
I'd rather look at that 21/10/10 triple double DSJ had against the Pels than his +/-. He showed his upside with that game, Frank has yet to have a breakout game that shows he has that kind of upside. In fact I read something that you suggested that he might be better suited as an off the ball guard because he hasn't shown he has NBA starting PG skills yet. I'm still with Lebron that Smith will be the better player based on what I've seen of both guys so far.

I'd rather look at that 21/10/10 triple double DSJ had against the Pels than his +/-. He showed his upside with that game, Frank has yet to have a breakout game that shows he has that kind of upside. In fact I read something that you suggested that he might be better suited as an off the ball guard because he hasn't shown he has NBA starting PG skills yet. I'm still with Lebron that Smith will be the better player based on what I've seen of both guys so far.

DSJ had 7 turnovers in that game against the Pelicans. His plus/minus was minus 4 in that game which they won by 8. Nowitzki was +17 in that game.

DSJ is top 5 in the NBA in having the highest percentage of his shots that get blocked. His coach called out how Dunn attacked his defense so successfully in that recent Bulls game and DSJ?s response to the media was that he thought he defended well (Dunn had 32 points).

I think you?re going to be surprised at what is going to happen with DSJ?s career trajectory. He is a high usage, low efficiency player.

Ntilikina may never be a star, but he will have a long NBA career because of his defense. As you said, that career may involve eventually playing more off the ball.

Broadway

All Star

That game was great, his game against San Antonio on the road was great...he had a 8-10gm stretch where he scored approximately 15+ pts. He finished off the Thunder a few nights ago late, he was a catalyst in a near incredible comeback against Bulls. Sure he's had his struggles, as all rookies have. Even Ben Simmons hit a wall about 2-3weeks ago. Now Carlisle recently stated he's going to be a great player but also said against Dunn the other night and in general he's getting bullied some and players are going at him. Of course he disagreed but I like this because it's a game within a game of development. He needs to show continued improvement defensively but he's running the team much better than he was to start season.

I think Hornacek has chided Knits with some of his play but overall the kid has been sufficient given circumstances. He needs to give coach a reason for more freedom and at the same time be given more freedom. What we haven't seen in a while is Knits impacting games defensively like he was to start the yr, teams adjust quickly and he needs to do likewise.

That game was great, his game against San Antonio on the road was great...he had a 8-10gm stretch where he scored approximately 15+ pts. He finished off the Thunder a few nights ago late, he was a catalyst in a near incredible comeback against Bulls. Sure he's had his struggles, as all rookies have. Even Ben Simmons hit a wall about 2-3weeks ago. Now Carlisle recently stated he's going to be a great player but also said against Dunn the other night and in general he's getting bullied some and players are going at him. Of course he disagreed but I like this because it's a game within a game of development. He needs to show continued improvement defensively but he's running the team much better than he was to start season.

I think Hornacek has chided Knits with some of his play but overall the kid has been sufficient given circumstances. He needs to give coach a reason for more freedom and at the same time be given more freedom. What we haven't seen in a while is Knits impacting games defensively like he was to start the yr, teams adjust quickly and he needs to do likewise.

I think it?s interesting that you guys could all see right through Melo, but you like DSJ. I guess only time will tell.

Broadway

All Star
I think it’s interesting that you guys could all see right through Melo, but you like DSJ. I guess only time will tell.

No we saw through a decade of play from 1 player(Melo) and in younger prospects projecting arcs from smaller samples in their young career. It was much easier to make conclusions on Melo obviously, and very few were more than correct on him.

Tig spotted Kuzma's talent right out of Summer League, sometimes we get things right and sometimes we don't. For those of us who put plenty of homework in on young talent, respect should be given on analysis when done

No we saw through a decade of play from 1 player(Melo) and in younger prospects projecting arcs from smaller samples in their young career. It was much easier to make conclusions on Melo obviously, and very few were more than correct on him.

Tig spotted Kuzma's talent right out of Summer League, sometimes we get things right and sometimes we don't. For those of us who put plenty of homework in on young talent, respect should be given on analysis when done

I get that. I was more referring to sorting out the stat sheet stuffers into guys who play winning basketball (e.g. Kawhi Leonard) and guys who don?t (e.g. Cousins, Melo). I think I?ve become an over-reductionist in my old age.