Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Atlanta Hawks 3:30pm 1/3/2016

tiger0330

Legend
Hows it going fellas? Its been a long time

We came ready to play today but its gonna be a battle in the 2nd half
Whatz up KS, CoolClyde also posted today after a long absence too. Is Metrocard going to make an appearance too. Hope things have been cool with you.

Not watching the game but the trend has been if they score over a 100 they win.

tiger0330

Legend
Lopez is deadly with that hook today .. why take him out
I said before the Chicago game don't play him out of the high post as a passer. The best way to use him is minimize his ball handling and let him get deep in the paint, feed him the ball and let him go to work with that hook shot. The only pass I want to see him make is the outlet pass when they double him.

Kiyaman

Legend
I said before the Chicago game don't play him out of the high post as a passer. The best way to use him is minimize his ball handling and let him get deep in the paint, feed him the ball and let him go to work with that hook shot. The only pass I want to see him make is the outlet pass when they double him.

Thas everything i want KP to be doing also ..
Melo only took 7 shots! thas a long way from Melo's 20 shots a game
Afflalo was the MAN shooting Fire hot tonight .. I will not bet on Afflalo being that hot-hot on Tuesday in Atlanta

tiger0330

Legend
They can still turn this around and make the playoffs. Plenty of games left, AA needs to be more consistent and not give you 1 game in 5, Rolo needs to earn his money by scoring and rebounding every game as well. Lets see if they can so we can start a win streak here.

pat

Starter
Thas everything i want KP to be doing also ..

Nah. Use it or lose it. The fact that he can draw out his man and that he is a decent ball handler should be nourished and improved upon. Don't turn something special into something ordinary.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Traveling to Florida to I missed the game. I see Afflolo earned his 8 million and Lopez played well. Unbelievable with MELO really playing team ball. Glad my boys got a win for my boys at the FORUM. Maybe we can build on this.

DrB

Benchwarmer
I still like Grants defense, passing, and decision making today
Yes but he has needed to use glass more, take it all the way in, and needs a MARK JACKSON teardrop when he's out sized. He just needs experience and confidence in his shot.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Tiger you and Mafra should coach the team. END OF STORY. FISHER sucks, I have lost patience with his psycho babble. Where's RAMBIS on all of this as he's a better coach than FISHER.

mafra

Legend
HUGE game on Tuesday. In ATL... NYK have a shot to even head2head vs Hawks at 2-2... We won at home and they blew us out at home. If NYK wins on Tuesday... They will be 4-6 in 10 games vs teams above .500... With 2 to go (in MIa and in SA)... Probably will lose those 2.... So it is imperative to find a way to win in ATL. It won't be easy tho...

Still...
Schedule breaks right for them soon... A lot of teams under .500, home games... NYK might stay relevant if they can find ways to steal some of these tough road games. Have to go 1-2 next 3 road games... Then continue to beat up on the bad teams.

mafra

Legend
Yes but he has needed to use glass more, take it all the way in, and needs a MARK JACKSON teardrop when he's out sized. He just needs experience and confidence in his shot.

Amen.
Clyde says it all the time: maintain the dribble kid. If I were Grant I would ask Clyde every single day what I need to improve. Let's hope Fisher rides him some more...

Calderon is gritty, efficient, and can hit the 3... But he doesn't play much defense and he rarely has more than 4-6 assists.... He had 1 today!

Kiyaman

Legend
Nah. Use it or lose it. The fact that he can draw out his man and that he is a decent ball handler should be nourished and improved upon. Don't turn something special into something ordinary.

The kid is 7.3 .. cut it out! He belong in the middle workin on his inside moves for the future .. its nice he has a little handle n could bring a big defender out on the perimeter once or twice in a game, but there is nothing special about shooting 41% FG, and 33% 3-ball, plus KP has a habit of shooting from the perimeter when Lopez n Melo are not in position to rebound his miss.

Kiyaman

Legend
Amen.
Clyde says it all the time: maintain the dribble kid. If I were Grant I would ask Clyde every single day what I need to improve. Let's hope Fisher rides him some more...

Calderon is gritty, efficient, and can hit the 3... But he doesn't play much defense and he rarely has more than 4-6 assists.... He had 1 today!

Calderon is a 12 minute bench PG with 2 offensive scoring moves who must pass the ball above the foul line to keep his turnovers down. Gallo all-around game need to be our starter PG .. but Gallo $1M salary compared to Calderon $7M salary

Grant is our best transition PG on offense n defense, his handle n passing n slashing is up to par with raw moments, Grant just need two veteran teammates to work with him on the court to work out the kinks in his offensive-game. Grant dont need to be shooting 3-balls when he has the hops to take 15 foot jumpers. Its just Grant following all these idiot teammates who dont have any type of inside game-moves so they shoot where they are open at the most which is 25 ft jumpers.
On offense Grant only need to be working on his passing-game, moving without the ball cuts, and keeping his timing on the shot clock.

Kiyaman

Legend
Tiger you and Mafra should coach the team. END OF STORY. FISHER sucks, I have lost patience with his psycho babble. Where's RAMBIS on all of this as he's a better coach than FISHER.

I seen Rambis coach on many occasion, he is not better than experimenting lineup coach Fisher

pat

Starter
The kid is 7.3 [...] but there is nothing special about shooting 41% FG, and 33% 3-ball, plus KP has a habit of shooting from the perimeter when Lopez n Melo are not in position to rebound his miss.
1) Exactly.
2) If you want to improve these things you have to learn how to get it right, not stay away from it.
Sure, he needs to develop his post game and I am certain he does but his versatility is what could make the difference between him being a big-standard big man and him being a franchise player.

tiger0330

Legend
1) Exactly.
2) If you want to improve these things you have to learn how to get it right, not stay away from it.
Sure, he needs to develop his post game and I am certain he does but his versatility is what could make the difference between him being a big-standard big man and him being a franchise player.
That's the dilemma with Porzingis is how to get him to become GREAT. Houston force fed Yao Ming to become a great post player letting him learn from a great big man coach in Carrol Dawson and sending Thibodeau to China in the summers to tutor Yao in becoming a dominant post player. They pretty much made a choice that he would play inside exclusively and they would build the offense around him to get easy points in the paint instead of trying to make him a 7'6" Dirk or Mehmet Okur.

Porzingis is not quite as big as Yao but has a better handle, is more athletic, a better perimeter shooter and has been compared to Dirk so what direction do you take with him? Make him like Yao and force feed him to play in the middle exclusively or make him a stretch 4 and hope his shooting becomes Dirk like. Not sure what the Knicks do because they have Rolo for 4 years but my preference is to play him at C and let him put up Tyson Chandler shooting percentages on a lot more shots than shoot 30% from the 3 pt line.

pat

Starter
That's the dilemma with Porzingis is how to get him to become GREAT. Houston force fed Yao Ming to become a great post player letting him learn from a great big man coach in Carrol Dawson and sending Thibodeau to China in the summers to tutor Yao in becoming a dominant post player. They pretty much made a choice that he would play inside exclusively and they would build the offense around him to get easy points in the paint instead of trying to make him a 7'6" Dirk or Mehmet Okur.

Porzingis is not quite as big as Yao but has a better handle, is more athletic, a better perimeter shooter and has been compared to Dirk so what direction do you take with him? Make him like Yao and force feed him to play in the middle exclusively or make him a stretch 4 and hope his shooting becomes Dirk like. Not sure what the Knicks do because they have Rolo for 4 years but my preference is to play him at C and let him put up Tyson Chandler shooting percentages on a lot more shots than shoot 30% from the 3 pt line.

Where did it take Yao and -- as you said -- there is the RoLo contract. Playing on the perimeter might make him more effective in the long run. Look at Dirk's career and compare it to Yao's. I'd much rather sent him to work with Geschwindner:

I guess he'll have some time on his hands with Dirk about to retire. He's the man who made him study the saxophone and gave him a reading list of literature for the road trips. If you want to achieve greatness, you have to think outside the box.

Last edited:

DrB

Benchwarmer
I'm hoping to be able to watch this game today after missing most of the last few games for a variety of reasons. Bottom line for me: the wheels have really started to come off this team in the last couple weeks and there are no simple excuses on which to fall back.

If the losing continues, is it even a possibility that PJ even considers firing Derek Fisher? Can that even happen with the way our front office is structured right now? Yeah, we're already only two wins short of last year's total, but other than that, we still look in my eyes like a team that needs an experienced head coach. Even if he does get a few years coaching experience under his belt, I'm not sure anyone is going to argue that Coach Fisher will be the league's next great head coach, so what's the point if we are losing to keep him around?

I think the TRIANGE is do or die for PJ, Therefore if Fisher goes besides RAMBIS who else could be brought in? Actually the TRIANGLE was supposed to maximize MELO....duh.