Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Dallas Mavericks 7:30 pm 11/14/2016 [Game#10]

Kiyaman

Legend
I'd take this year's or last year's version of Felton in a second. Just don't give me the version we last had on our roster

I would have rather kept Felton, and added Rondo to speed up ISO-Melo performance plus stop Melo from receiving the ball the first 16 seconds on the shot clock.

mafra

Legend
39-36 Mavs at the half. Knicks playing down to the level of the competition, held the Mavs to less than 50 but their offense was crap. Horn better be on their case in the locker room about ratcheting up their play, a loss tonight is going to mean getting ripped by the media tomorrow.

Knicks go on a 30-10 run in the third (Melo with 16). With a minute
before the 4th, the Mavs have 49 points.

tiger0330

Legend
Porzingis with that one foot Dirk fallaway. Don't know that Dirk can teach the kid anything about shooting, kid is unstoppable at his height. I better get used to KP as a 7'3" wing, his 3 is falling this season and I saw an article that Brolo has done away with his mid-range game in favor of taking 3s and the Nets are winning playing him like that.

Holliday, Melo, and Porzingis a deadly trio tonight. The three of them were enough to get us a likely win tonight

mafra

Legend
Holliday, Melo, and Porzingis a deadly trio tonight. The three of them were enough to get us a likely win tonight

Hornachek inserted holiday into the starting lineup after the half (went small, took out Noah) and Holiday delivered. The Knicks played some defense. Of course, it helped we were playing the Mavs second team.

Kiyaman

Legend

Beating Cuban Lottery-Mavs are more like a exhibition practice game where 6 of our bench players should receive double-diget playing-time ...wsup with Rose 5 ast and 5 turnovers

Wow, if you guys are going to downplay a win like this, it is going to be a long season.

Can't make this up. Poor Quincy Acy gets punched in the face by his own guy and refs check replay to see if it should be a flagrant foul. Then Mavs twice in a row call timeouts when they don't have any, leading to two technical free throws

tiger0330

Legend
Wow, if you guys are going to downplay a win like this, it is going to be a long season.

Can't make this up. Poor Quincy Acy gets punched in the face by his own guy and refs check replay to see if it should be a flagrant foul. Then Mavs twice in a row call timeouts when they don't have any, leading to two technical free throws
I'll take the W but this was the Mavs w/o Dirk and DWill, Knicks would have been ridiculed if they lost to them. Holiday in with the starters gives Horn something to think about, me and Mafra were debating Noah's value and this win w/o him replaced by Holiday doesn't change my mind. Horn still struggling finding his 10 guys so I'm not sure Noah out of the starting lineup is permanent but if the Knicks are 8-14 beginning of Dec. with the same starting 5 as today then Noah has to go to the bench.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'll take the W but this was the Mavs w/o Dirk and DWill, Knicks would have been ridiculed if they lost to them. Holiday in with the starters gives Horn something to think about, me and Mafra were debating Noah's value and this win w/o him replaced by Holiday doesn't change my mind. Horn still struggling finding his 10 guys so I'm not sure Noah out of the starting lineup is permanent but if the Knicks are 8-14 beginning of Dec. with the same starting 5 as today then Noah has to go to the bench.

Noah is to damn GREAT a player to be on the court vs Cubans D.League LOTTERY team ... Mavs are playing for the 2017 first to 3rd draft pick .. Dirk is 38 yrs old .. LMAO

tiger0330

Legend
Noah is to damn GREAT a player to be on the court vs Cubans D.League LOTTERY team ... Mavs are playing for the 2017 first to 3rd draft pick .. Dirk is 38 yrs old .. LMAO
Kiya I just went up to nykfp.com and they're trashing your man Noah big time.

Kiyaman

Legend
Holiday in with the starters gives Horn something to think about.

If Horn has any intention on making the playoffs this season, then Horn has a lot of work to do on our unclicking Starters.
Last season our full bench lineups were better on offense n defense than our starter lineup .. this season Horn is afraid to put a full lineup of bench players on the court, unless its garbage time.

Rose & Lee are not clicking .. same as Calderon n Affallo
Melo & KP are in their 2nd season in the same lineup, and the two dont click on offense nor defense
Noah & Lopez are playoff contender bigmen .. the two dont belong on our Dolan puppet coaching team.

Our 2nd unit lineup should have Jennings/Sasha/Holiday/Willy/Quinn/and sometime Kuz

and1

Rotation player
i am so glad we won this game. i was honestly getting kind of nervous about it early on. but we blew them out in the end, and that's a good sign because dallas right now are just awful. but we can not continue to start off games as slow as we did tonight. other teams would've just buried us early. melo has to stop holding on to the ball for so long, especially at the start of the game. we have to establish good movement early on.
i'm not worried about noah just yet. it was the smart thing to do to go small for the 2nd half and start holiday to defend barnes, because he was most likely dallas' best chance of at least keeping it a close game. i'm expecting a big game from noah on wednesday. i'm pretty confident he'll bounce back determined and fired up. i'm not going to listen to the hype already going around about how it went down tonight.
however, it is good to know that coach horny can throw this lineup out there in a similar kind of pinch.
4-6 in the first 10 games. i was hoping for 5-5 realistically. it's looked really bad at times, but it's also looked really good at times as well. let's see if we can get some revenge on detroit wednesday night. if we can tighten up our D we can have some real fun this year.

tiger0330

Legend
And1, Horn said that small ball lineup wasn't permanent so expect Noah back in the starting lineup against DET. DET is way bigger than the Mavs so small ball is not an option against them. Let's hope Drummond is still out with an ankle sprain on Wed. though Bane played well in his place. They handily beat a good Thunder squad w/o Drummond so it's going to be tough game unlike the Mavs game.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
After the Boston loss I said this team lacks winning mentality. I guess we should add consistency to the mix. We have plenty of talent on the roster, Melo, KP, Noah, Rose (if healthy), some pretty decent 2nd unit players in Jannings and Holiday. Willy could be solid as well, too early too say. We need to utilize what we've got. I often get the feeling that we lack motivation and that the guys give up after one bad quarter. Especially Rose. He still has enough in his tank to average 20 ppg and 6 ast, but whenever we struggle he starts to play sloppy, and looks like he doesn't give a damn anymore. I can't help myself but to get the impression he's still pissed about the trade. Melo's struggling as well, but when he gets angry, he goes full rage mode and scores 20 pts in a quarter. That's some proper winning mentality right there. I think it all comes down to leadership. I like Noah and how hyped he gets, but damn, I miss TC, his hassle, work ethic, leadership:

and1

Rotation player
And1, Horn said that small ball lineup wasn't permanent so expect Noah back in the starting lineup against DET. DET is way bigger than the Mavs so small ball is not an option against them. Let's hope Drummond is still out with an ankle sprain on Wed. though Bane played well in his place. They handily beat a good Thunder squad w/o Drummond so it's going to be tough game unlike the Mavs game.

yeah, against a team like detroit starting the game with that small line-up would not be a good idea. we just don't have the consistent kind of ball movement, especially at the start of the games, to counter a line-up like that.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya I just went up to nykfp.com and they're trashing your man Noah big time.

u right .. nykfp.com wrote a million page book over the Knicks win vs LOTTERY Mavs ... I do give props to Holiday for making the small-ball lineup work with Melo/KP but ...it worked well against a no-offense / no-defense Mavs team.

Our next game will be a back to back against Detroit Pistons/Washington Wizards .. with or without Drummond tomorrow we will need Noah. Gortat says we need Noah. The Pistons coach SVG has a speedy 6.0 PG Ish Smith running the point to play a uptempo-game with their Big-Ball forwards 6.9 SF Harris and 6.9 PF Morris.
The

I don't get the Noah hate from other Knicks' fans right now. As mentioned a dozen times in this thread, we went small ball against the Mavs for matchup reasons.

Noah had 18 rebounds on Saturday. He is averaging almost 4 assists per game out of the center position in 23 minutes per game so far this season. He is coming back from a major injury.

Only major complaint I have about Noah so far this season is he is shooting 38% from the free throw line.