home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Detroit PistonsNew York Knicks
Jerami Grant - Right UCL surgery (OUT)Derrick Rose - Sore right ankle (QUEST)
Kelly Olynyk - Left knee MCL sprain (OUT)Miles McBride - COVID-19 (OUT)
-Obi Toppin - Medical protocols (OUT)
-Immanuel Quickley - Medical protocols (OUT)
-RJ Barrett - Medical protocols (OUT)
-Quentin Grimes - Medical protocols (OUT)
-Kevin Knox - Medical protocols (OUT)

Game Preview

Playing against their former team Saturday night apparently sparked the struggling New York Knicks' duo of Evan Fournier and Kemba Walker.

But if the Knicks are going to begin climbing back into the Eastern Conference playoff race, they'll probably need Fournier and Walker to continue their surges Tuesday night when New York hosts the Detroit Pistons.

Both teams head into the game in extended swoons, though the Pistons snapped a 14-game losing streak Sunday night by beating the visiting Miami Heat 100-90.

The Knicks lost for the eighth time in 10 games Saturday, when they overcame a 15-point halftime deficit to carry a two-point lead into the fourth quarter before falling to the host Celtics 114-107.

Fournier -- 32 points, tying the season high he set against the Celtics in the season opener Oct. 20 -- and Walker (season-high 29 points) combined to score more than half the points Saturday for the Knicks. They were especially prolific in the third quarter, when Walker scored 17 and Fournier added 11 as New York outscored Boston 41-24.

"We fell short and couldn't come out with the win, which is the most important thing," Walker said.

Such performances were what the Knicks had in mind when they traded for Fournier, who finished 2020-21 with the Celtics following a trade from the Orlando Magic, and signed Walker, who played the last two years in Boston, as part of a summertime shopping spree intended to help New York take another step following last season's surprising trip to the playoffs.

But the season hasn't gone as anticipated for anyone in New York. The Knicks have gone 8-16 since a 5-1 start to fall into 12th place in the Eastern Conference. Fournier has been held to less than 10 points 12 times in 30 games while seeing his minutes reduced.

And Walker was a healthy scratch the previous nine games before Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau -- overseeing a roster missing six players due to COVID-19 protocols as well as Derrick Rose (ankle) -- had no choice but to put him back in the lineup Saturday.

"When you're watching, you don't really (know) how much (of) an impact it has on you sitting so long with rhythm and confidence," Fournier said. "It was good to see Kemba smiling again."

The Pistons, who have the worst record in the NBA at 5-24, finally got to smile Sunday after ending what was tied for the longest losing streak in franchise history Detroit also suffered 14 straight losses during the 1979-80 and 1993-94 seasons.

Saddiq Bey scored 26 points Sunday as the youthful Pistons -- who suffered seven losses in their skid by 10 points or less -- were able to close out the Heat, who got within five points in the fourth quarter.

The 22-year-old Bey qualifies as an elder statesman in a starting lineup Sunday that featured three 20-year-olds -- 2021 No. 1 pick Cade Cunningham as well as Isaiah Stewart and Killian Hayes -- and 23-year-old Hamidou Diallo.

"(The losing) bothers you, but that's not what this season is about," Pistons coach Dwane Casey said. "I'm not caught up in 14 straight. I'm caught up in these guys growing and developing. Sooner or later, all this stuff is going to click."

Game preview courtesy of:
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady, thanks for the Game-Thread .. All the Covid-19 Medical protocols popping up each week are gonna have the G.league playing in the NBA.
Well tonight, our opponents are a lottery team (Detroit Pistons that may be getting the first pick of the 2022 NBA draft

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
It's Garden Of Dreams night. Dark Raider might be calling in to see if his donations contribute to getting Mitchell Robinson and Kevin Knox traded for their freedom.

Kiyaman

Legend
MitchRob should have had 25 to 30 pts to start the 4th qtr.
The Pistons have no one to stop MitchRob from scoring in the paint !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
MitchRob should have had 25 to 30 pts to start the 4th qtr.
The Pistons have no one to stop MitchRob from scoring in the paint !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Randle should not be allowed to dribble up the court for 5 straight games when Quickley & Rose return. That would be my rule if I am coach.
It's becoming absurd the amount of times Randle gets stripped of the ball 30 feet from the basket, all our Knicks opponents start attacking Randle 30 feet out during the 2nd half to get 1 to 2 strips a game. We all hated when Randle get stripped going down the stretch. What's really bad, It will continue to happen because our coach has been a Randle enabler !!!

Kemba! We fans all over the NBA know your offense/defense moves, it's time to add a couple more.
Kemba's skills has to start throwing direct lob-passes up court for fast breaks (Obi), plus speed up the tempo on offense to beat opponents best defensive players from getting back to set up, plus start working on PnR to throw MitchRob alley-oops, plus Kemba has to use his dribble for a couple more things other than getting himself a clear shot. Getting Randle & Kemba to start using their dribble throw good passes to teammates on the perimeter and down-low to the center/PF .. are coach Thibs task.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
When Kemba posts 21-8-5 we don?t care about his defense. Just give them the offense they need from you and he?ll play.

McBride gonna push the issue too, I hope

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, the COVID protocol, to integrate Kemba back in our rotation, but as Kiya said, he is somehow predictable now, he needs to dominate more..... is he a little bit better in defense or it is just wishful thinking?

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
Why can't randle dribble up the court...we had Melo do it all the time......ONLY ON THE KNICKS DOES THIS CRAP HAPPEN .........Im sure our guards are like WTF

metrocard

Legend
lol Kemba predictable yet he got 8 rebounds, could of had 10 assist because guys were wide OPEN. On his second start and got a W. Kemba doesn't have a lack of "defense", its more size-based. However Kemba is active on his feet, Thibs defense is OUTDATED and it is designed for guards to light us up.

Last year, people considered Payton/Bullock "good defenders" and Trae Young lit them up for whatever number he wanted.

You guys complain about Kemba, but yet on 8 million dollars, he's gotten this team more wins than any STARTER and has the highest OFFrating among perimeter starters.

He's defered to an inferior offensive player like Randle.
He's taken less shots.
He was cool receiving less minutes to benefit the team, but Knicks only won 2-3 games without Kemba, Knicks record without Kemba is well below .500. With him, it's over .500
Kemba usually takes 16-18 shots a game. This season, just 10 and still shoots on 42% 3PT on damaged knees. Obviously our most skilled guard with Rose/McBride.

I'm not advocating for Kemba to play 38 minutes a night. He's fine at 26-28 minutes. Rose can play the 2. McBride can back up PG. Quickley can play the 1 and 2, but he's way better at the 2.

Fournier/Barrett/Burks can hold down the 3/2. Our minutes can be spread and we can find effectiveness in that. Kemba still contributes and it's more than "predicable", he definitely broke Lee's ankles today and Kemba has an insanely low turnover rate, despite the BS call yesterday when he was fouled but it was called a TO.

another W for Kemba and the Knicks.

Knicks 3-8 without Walker
Knicks + .500 with Walker

Last edited: