home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Miami HeatNew York Knicks
Avery Bradley - Right Calf Strain (OUT)Nerlens Noel - Sore left knee (OUT)
Goran Dragić - Left Ankle Sprain (OUT)-
Moe Harkless - Left Thigh Contusion (OUT)-
Meyers Leonard - Left Shoulder Surgery (OUT)-
Chris Silva - Left Hip Flexor Strain (OUT)-
Jimmy Butler - Left Foot Contusion (PROB)-
Gabe Vincent - Right Knee Soreness (PROB)-

Game Preview

As owners of the longest postseason drought in the Eastern Conference, the New York Knicks could be excused for thinking it's a big deal to occupy a share of a playoff spot one-third of the way through the regular season.

But coach Tom Thibodeau will have none of that.

The Knicks will look to continue their climb up the standings Sunday afternoon, when they are scheduled to host the Miami Heat in a matchup of longtime rivals.

It will be the second straight home matinee for the Knicks, who beat the Portland Trail Blazers 110-99 on Saturday afternoon. The Heat earned a 122-95 win over the visiting Washington Wizards on Friday night.

The win Saturday improved the Knicks to 11-13 and ensured they'd end the evening among the Eastern Conference's top eight teams, No. 7 to be exact. New York, which hasn't been to the playoffs since 2013, needed 40 games to record 11 wins last season and didn't get to 11 wins until the 58th game in 2018-19.

The demanding Thibodeau is in no mood to celebrate, though -- likely because he knows how thin the margin of error is for the youthful Knicks. In a 14-game span from Jan. 2-26, New York had a three-game winning streak, a five-game losing streak, a three-game winning streak followed by a three-game losing streak.

"I don't want us to feel too good about where we are, because right now there's a long way to go," Thibodeau said Saturday afternoon. "I want us to feel good about the way we're approaching things. I know if we practice well and we concentrate on our improvement and get ready for our next opponent, then we'll have a good chance to win."

The Heat are also in an unfamiliar position.

Miami, which won three NBA championships and lost in the Finals twice from 2006-13 and made a surprise run to the NBA Finals in the bubble last summer, entered Saturday with an 8-14 record, better than only the Wizards and Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference.

The Heat, who have won back-to-back games just once this season, are hoping Friday's resounding win will serve as a much-needed spark. Miami scored 71 points in the first half, led by as many as 37 points, and limited Wizards star Bradley Beal, who had scored at least 25 points in each of his first 17 games this season, to seven points.

Like Thibodeau, Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra is hoping his team concentrates on the small details instead of getting consumed by the bigger picture.

"For us, it's more about continuing to try to build our habits (and) just forge ahead," Spoelstra said Friday night. "We just have to forge ahead, one day at a time. We have made improvement."

The Heat will take the court Sunday without point guard Goran Dragic, who was ruled out Saturday with a sprained left ankle suffered in the third quarter Friday night.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Same situation as yesterday. Out with the kid, may need to watch the replay.

Let?s go Knicks! Make it 3 in a row!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
And now Randle with back to back threes! Knicks up by 3 with 3 minutes to go in the second quarter

Broadway

All Star
Randle is playing great in every aspect of the first half. LOL at Payton I mean who didn't know you were playing well over your head past couple gms all because Thibs bromanced you

Broadway

All Star
Bullock is playing very well also. VERY VET CENTRIC GAME

Contributions from Burks, Gibson, Rivers, Randle, Bullock(would be Payton too if he weren't bricking)

EXACTLY HOW THIBS PREFERS IT!!!

Toppin with 7 points in the 1st 5 minutes of the 4th quarter. He shot an awful attempt on a corner 3, but next possession Gibson found him on the baseline and Toppin took his man for the dynamic 2 hand dunk to tie the game.

Unleash this guy with our 2nd unit already!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Toppin with the powerful slam ties the game, 90-90 and 7 minutes still to go

Knicks needing someone who could get a basket in the closing minutes and didn?t get it. Bringing in Rose is not as crazy as everyone is making it out to be.

mafra

Legend
Yes! I want to see P&R with Obi and Mitch! Unless the Toppin!!!

Offense in second half struggled, as has been the case with this team in second leg of back2backs

Randle continues to play well but both RJ and Payton failed to show up today. No magic from Quickley. Bullock scored a bunch of points but it took him shooting 14 3-point attempts to do it.

Toppin with 7 points and 4 boards in 10 minutes. He has made 7 out of his last 13 shots. Problem again is that it took him 4 games to get those 13 shots.

When is this guy going to get a chance to play? Our offense is overall weak and Toppin is offense waiting to happen.

Broadway

All Star
Give Rose some of Payton?s minutes and all of Rivers? minutes. This trade could work out.

Highly unlikely, keep in mind the more Rose gets off could also mean less of RJ's impact. We don't need an ISO player way past prime. We weren't willing to give up Knox in the Detroit so how does he fit in all of this?

There's no way we can elevate the play of our young players when Thibs incorporates Randle/Bullock/Payton/Burks into what we do. Having Rose here literally means less development.

I agree with Toppin tho, he was open along the baseline almost every minute he was out there in the 4th. The offense we run and inability to find him is the problem....they are too far out on the perimeter, primarily look for teammate slipping pick first, and have poor court vision

Broadway

All Star
Randle continues to play well but both RJ and Payton failed to show up today. No magic from Quickley. Bullock scored a bunch of points but it took him shooting 14 3-point attempts to do it.

Toppin with 7 points and 4 boards in 10 minutes. He has made 7 out of his last 13 shots. Problem again is that it took him 4 games to get those 13 shots.

When is this guy going to get a chance to play? Our offense is overall weak and Toppin is offense waiting to happen.

RJ wasn't good today he missed some defensive assignments and Thibs barked him to the bench. He should've let the kid work out his issues, he won't be special every game. The Heat are a hard team to guard, their perimeter players are constantly moving

Broadway

All Star
RJ wasn't good today he missed some defensive assignments and Thibs barked him to the bench. He should've let the kid work out his issues, he won't be special every game. The Heat are a hard team to guard, their perimeter players are constantly moving

I'm happy fans and media are starting to catch on to Thibs and the BS.

Thibs is a clown.

It's so disrespectful to completely bench RJ after 13 awesome games of complete consistency. Especially after his last shot was a big 3. He's EARNED that right to come back in during EVERY closing situation. Unless Burks was playing extremely well which he wasn't.

His handling of the PG rotations all year have been insane.

Don't even get me started on those facial expressions he makes on the sideline. Literally every damn time the camera zoomed in on his face he had a face of such pure disgust like he constantly can't fathom the stupidity of his players. He does it EVERY time someone turns the ball over. Just watch for yourself dude has absolutely no chill.

He's a power hungry monster who is lowkey getting progressively worse as the season goes along. He didn't act like such a petulant child at the beginning of the season.

I'm telling you long term this dudes a problem. They're buying in now but players aren't going to tolerate this nonsense in this era. It's just not going to happen. Its what got him run out of Minnesota and I even bought into the idea that he had realized his errors and was changing, but the metamorphosis into psycho dictator coach is happening before our very eyes.

RJ's got a great work ethic so he'll be a good soldier and move on like nothing happened but its moments like these that lay the foundation for distrust.