Great article Chronicling the past 10 years of the Knicks.

p0nder

Starter
ouch.

I still beleive that our troubles really began when they signed houston to that 100 mill. deal. I mean, we got so handcuffed by it that there was really not much we could do. Spreewell also got overpaid, but it was more reasonable then the houston contract.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
ouch.

I still beleive that our troubles really began when they signed houston to that 100 mill. deal. I mean, we got so handcuffed by it that there was really not much we could do. Spreewell also got overpaid, but it was more reasonable then the houston contract.

Yeah that was the icing on the cake but really it was the Ewing debacle!

mafra

Legend
ouch.

Trouble began with the 1999 run to the Finals. Following the loss to the Spurs, the notion that Ewing was "getting in the way" was starting to gain steam. Then, that draft... we take F-Weiss and JR Koch. We pass on Ron Artest and Manu Ginobili.

We would still be set at SG-SF had we drafted those 2 players.

PG
Manu
Artest
PF
Camby

We would still start those 3.

From there, the Ewing trade was stupid. Just keep him for final year and let him walk. Instead we bring back bad contract, which we tured around for more bad contracts and everything spiralled out of control.

The final death blow came with the stupid Mcdyess trade. As if we were 1 player away.... And we trade for a guy coming off a majory injury.

Poor drafts, foolish trades.... A serious of blunders that goes all the way back to 1999.

p0nder

Starter
I dunno, Ewing was on his way out of the league but we should have kept him for the final year. The contracts we got back were bad but they were not 100-million-dollars-no-cap-flexibility-for-years bad. Yhe houston deal forced us to keep Houston as our #1 option on offense when he was always a #2 or #3 guy.

I liked houston and had a lot of respect for his jumper, but you can't win playoff series with a great jump shooter and a bunch of role players. It went down hill as we were forced to trade draft picks to try and get more talent on the team that was always urged to compete and not "rebuild".

It wasn't until Donnie Walsh came around that the idea that the New York team could be blown up and go through a rebuild caught on.