In Phil's defense

Paul1355

All Star
Never have I seen a fan base over react so much about something that they have no idea about.

This thread will give Phil Jackson the benefit of the doubt and the argument for his decisions so that complaining knicks fans can start to think reasonably and relax.

Phil's notable moves:

-Signing Derek Fisher

-Resigning Carmelo to a max deal

-Trading away Tyson Chandler for Jose Calderon, Dalembert and 2 second rounders

- Drafting Cleanthony Early and Thanasis Antentakoumpo with the 2 second rounders

-Trading Jr Smith, Shump and Prigioni for cap space and second round picks at trade deadline

-Selecting Kristaps Porzinigis with 4th pick while trading Hardaway Jr for Jerian Grant (19 pick)

-Using 2 second round picks for Hernangomez from Sevilla in Spain( stash player)

- Steve Kerr was Phil's top choice and be won an NBA championship in his first season so let's at least admire Phil's ability to see a good coach. Kerr wanted the better roster and to be closer to his family in california. Fisher had respect around the league and Kevin Durant vouched for him. Fisher was a player coach in his last season on the Thunder coaching the tough relationship of Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant. He inherited a terrible roster that was riddled with injuries. Jury is still out on Fish..he needs a real roster to grade.

-Phil Jackson came to this team and instantly resigned the only player worthy of a max contract on this roster. Resigning Melo had to be done. Without Melo we would have had 0 wins last season and no respectability or attraction at all. Melo brings free agents because he is still an amazing player. He needs a good supporting cast. He is our closer and focal point in the offense..many teams don't have a trusted closer. He averaged 24 ppg with 6 rebounds and 3 assist on a bum knee.

-Chandler was a dissapointment in his last season as a Knick and let as defensive center in Hibbert school him with his offense. Chandler was overrated and Jackson traded him for players that at the time had respectibility. No one knew Calderon and Dalmebert would suck so bad. And he got picks for chandler as well....now Dallas doesn't even want Tyson.

-Early and Antenakoumpo could be valuable role players one day...jury is still out on them.

-JR smith and shumpert became the biggest complainers on the Knicks...JR didn't fit the system, was an idiot on ans off court, and Shump showed how limited he is on offense. We dumped guys with crappy character and who didn't want to be here anymore.
The fact that we got 2 second rounders for an aging PG in Prigioni was amazing...we also got Alexey Shved for him who impressed last season and should return.

-Porzingis is not Darko Milicic nor is he Andrea Bargnani because with those players comes bust and injury prone labels. Porzingis shot 54 % from 2 and nearly 40 % from 3 in the second best league in the world! He pulled nearly 4 boards a game in only 21 minutes and averaged 10 points and he isn't even 20 yet. He is 7'3 with shoes! And some say has highest upside of any player. Non of the picks are sure things that have instant impact or win now players. All are young projects and we chose someone who had the highest potential according to every scout. He is a rare talent that can make shots. Let the kid develop!

-trading Hardaway who is an inconsistent head case of a trigger happy shooter for a first round steal in Jerian Grant is impressive. Phil drafted one of the best steals in 1st round and addressed the PG and PF positions. Hardaway needs to play in a Mike dantoni type offense with no structure.

-Scouts love Hernangomez and his familiarity being teammates with Porzingis will help down the line. He is a rebounding center with an NBA body at 6'11 and 255 pounds. Some compare him to a better Zaza Pachulia....tough and rugged. This is someone NY will love.

Jackson still has 27 million in cap space. His grades are either incomplete or good since he is thinking like a GM and not a emotional knick fan.

So tell me why we should crucify this man?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I agree with everything. Phil was brought here to win free agency this summer. What happens starting next week will ultimately seal his fate. Will he be able to sell the dream to Monroe, West, Danny Green? We shall see. But we all love the TC trade when it happened, nobody wanted JR or Shump on next year's team, and we somehow came away with a talent worthy of the 4th pick in the nba draft.

Knicks have young assets we didn't have when he arrived. Schved, Thomas, Galloway, Early, Pirzingus, Grant, a few foreign second rounders. Starting now, what's assembled for Nov... Will be completely Phil's team. Only when we see that roster will we be able to formulate an opinion and evaluate what Phil has done.

Paul1355

All Star
I didn't even mention Galloway who didn't even play well in summer league and Phil still saw something in him

Paul1355

All Star
I agree with everything. Phil was brought here to win free agency this summer. What happens starting next week will ultimately seal his fate. Will he be able to sell the dream to Monroe, West, Danny Green? We shall see. But we all love the TC trade when it happened, nobody wanted JR or Shump on next year's team, and we somehow came away with a talent worthy of the 4th pick in the nba draft.

Knicks have young assets we didn't have when he arrived. Schved, Thomas, Galloway, Early, Pirzingus, Grant, a few foreign second rounders. Starting now, what's assembled for Nov... Will be completely Phil's team. Only when we see that roster will we be able to formulate an opinion and evaluate what Phil has done.
Thanks mafra and I agree...free agency will really be where Phil earns his pay. Free agency is where Donnie Walsh and Mike Dantoni utimately failed by missing on LeBron and overpaying an injury prone Stoudemire...we can't make a mistake like that again.

tiger0330

Legend
Phil is a bum. 17-65 tells you why Knicks fans want to crucify him.

Steve Mills is pretty much running the Knicks anyway, he went to Europe to look at Zingis and he was the one present at the lottery, he's the one talking to teams about trades. All Phil is doing that Mills isn't is tweeting how to play the game the Phil Jackson way.

I hope it works out with Phil but his promise of getting the Knicks on solid ground and then leaving it with Steve Mills is a bunch of crap to me. I think the only thing he's going to be remembered for is that worst season in Knicks history.

Paul1355

All Star

Steve Mills is pretty much running the Knicks anyway, he went to Europe to look at Zingis and he was the one present at the lottery, he's the one talking to teams about trades. All Phil is doing that Mills isn't is tweeting how to play the game the Phil Jackson way.

I hope it works out with Phil but his promise of getting the Knicks on solid ground and then leaving it with Steve Mills is a bunch of crap to me. I think the only thing he's going to be remembered for is that worst season in Knicks history.
Terrible roster filled with injuries= a 17 win season

Kiyaman

Legend
I didn't even mention Galloway who didn't even play well in summer league and Phil still saw something in him

Paul .... Com'on Galloway were the best product the Knicks had on the court in last year summer games.
Galloway showed a controlled play-maker consistency performance in every game ..
when he was trying-out for a SG role.

The 19th overall pick .. Jerian Grant high IQ n strength are more NBA ready to perform on the NBA level as a rookie than Porzingis .. thats a FACT!

Phil Jackson has been SABOTAGING the Knicks since day one of becoming president.
There is NO more FREE Passes for P.Jax in NY after drafting a player 90% of Knicks fans does not see as a top 5 pick.
The 2014-15 NCAA showed 8 top lottery picks throughout the season

Broadway

All Star

Not to mention had to be talked into taking this kid by Clearance Gaines. #kporzee was never part of the original plan, we were supposed to make the playoffs this season. What distinguishes Phil as different than someone like Flip Saunders?

You know the guy who in the same amount of time flipped Love for Wiggins and other pieces. They selected Towns and then traded picks 31 and 36 for 24 and landed Tyus Jones. Looks like to me they got 2 players who are comparable to what we got. The key is Flip isn't getting paid $60mil to do his job and hasn't made any declarations of playoffs and possibly contending

Who are we fooling, does anyone honestly believe Phil takes #kporzee if Russell or Okafor fell to us? Had either of these guys fell to us were they then going to have better upsides than #kporzee? We also hear reports Phil was listening to trades in the 23-24th hour of making pick. If #kporzee has this much upside then why would he have been willing to trade down? Had we lost 2 more games was Phil going to select #kporzee #1 overall?

The only thing it appears he did well was trade THJr for Grant. Everything else is suspect at this point.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Also if we did all this scouting on #kporzee then why is it when the draft lottery took place only a month ago did Steve Mills do this....

image.JPG

I mean any intelligent person knew this wasn't going to be a bad spot to pick from if #kporzee was that guy because he either goes in the Top 3 and we get who we coveted or we pick him outright. Phil's moves have proven to be very reactionary and not well thought out.... you know PLANNED!

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

The high n low expectation of Phil Jackson joining the Knicks in whatever capacity were to clean-out a bad/losing organization, and putting together a same-page winning organization from management/coaches/players as the president.
NO real Knicks fan liked the "Tyson Chandler trade" to the Dallas Mavs ..
especially when Ainge 25 win season in Boston was ready to trade Rondo plus for Tyson/Felton
Several teams wanted a defensive center Tyson Chandler!
Phil traded Tyson on June 25th before the 2014 Draft.
Tyson Chandler & Felton were not the Knicks problem .. The 2014-15 season 5-36 start prove that as a FACT "41 games"

Mentioning role-players Monroe/West/Danny Green does not add any optimism of doing better than a 17 win season
And mentioning Early Thomas Schved and Zingis all belong in the D.League in the 2015-16 season

Paul1355

All Star
Paul .... Com'on Galloway were the best product the Knicks had on the court in last year summer games.
Galloway showed a controlled play-maker consistency performance in every game ..
when he was trying-out for a SG role.

The 19th overall pick .. Jerian Grant high IQ n strength are more NBA ready to perform on the NBA level as a rookie than Porzingis .. thats a FACT!

Phil Jackson has been SABOTAGING the Knicks since day one of becoming president.
There is NO more FREE Passes for P.Jax in NY after drafting a player 90% of Knicks fans does not see as a top 5 pick.
The 2014-15 NCAA showed 8 top lottery picks throughout the season
You must have watched a different summer league because he didn't play that we'll Kiya. They do more scouting than we do.

Phil isn't sabotaging anything? Name we one thing that is sabotaging that I listed in his notable moves? Every move had a motive that made sense.

Paul1355

All Star
The high n low expectation of Phil Jackson joining the Knicks in whatever capacity were to clean-out a bad/losing organization, and putting together a same-page winning organization from management/coaches/players as the president.
NO real Knicks fan liked the "Tyson Chandler trade" to the Dallas Mavs ..
especially when Ainge 25 win season in Boston was ready to trade Rondo plus for Tyson/Felton
Several teams wanted a defensive center Tyson Chandler!
Phil traded Tyson on June 25th before the 2014 Draft.
Tyson Chandler & Felton were not the Knicks problem .. The 2014-15 season 5-36 start prove that as a FACT "41 games"

Mentioning role-players Monroe/West/Danny Green does not add any optimism of doing better than a 17 win season
And mentioning Early Thomas Schved and Zingis all belong in the D.League in the 2015-16 season
You need to look at shveds stats from last season and porzingis stats as an 18 year old in the world's second best league before claiming them d league players. Both are at the very least role players on any NBA team.

You misunderstand the concept of cleaning out if you didn't like Phils moves. He completely cleaned out this team.

Kiyaman

Legend
You must have watched a different summer league because he didn't play that we'll Kiya. They do more scouting than we do.

Phil isn't sabotaging anything? Name we one thing that is sabotaging that I listed in his notable moves? Every move had a motive that made sense.

None of Phils move made sense .. at least to me
I recall the Lakers trading Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol .. Kwame b.ball worth was lower than Felton n JRsmith LOL

Kiyaman

Legend
You need to look at shveds stats from last season and porzingis stats as an 18 year old in the world's second best league before claiming them d league players. Both are at the very least role players on any NBA team.

You misunderstand the concept of cleaning out if you didn't like Phils moves. He completely cleaned out this team.

Since GM Laydum, every Knicks GM manager has come in clean-out the roster by trading for garbage-products, then TRY to get players to build with from FA, draft, and trading their garbage players by trading them an our future first round picks.
A consistent "Dolan" plan .. design to strictly fail for 16 years having 5 GMs, and 7 coaches

A new player NBA level are evaluated in his performance in 60 straight games averaging 21 minutes per game, within a 2 to 3 year span. Players like Greg Oden and Joel Embiid level are .0
The 2 and 3 season injury-prone players who hasnt played 60 games straight has a low evaluation level as Tier 4 bench project "Shved" .. not worth $3M

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Bad time to be defending PJAx job on the heels of the worst season in franchise history and following that up with a highly questionable draft pick. I get Phil has the reins so he is out to prove he is smarter than the rest of us by drafting a Euro project with more "upside" than a more ready made NBA player. We get it Phil. You are smarter than the rest of the world put together. This skinny kid will be better than Dirk(who only managed to win one title btw). Damn the Lebrons, Currys, Hardens, and Westbrooks of the world, Spanish league Civilla players will the Knicks back to relevance. Now that just sounds ridiculous doesn't it when you put it that way. Thanks for the gut punch to KNIcKs nation Phil.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I've just been thru this btw with my Chiefs. Team owner hired self proclaimed smartest man in the room Scott Pioli from the world champion Pats. Only it was Brady who was the champion not Pioli. Pioli promptly wasted 1st and 3rd overall picks on Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey. Who you ask? That's right because Tyson Jackson was the best five technique D-lineman coming out that year. U.S. stupid Chiefs fans said why draft dlineman in the top five who didn't even sack the QB in college we were told to shut up we are dumb fans and don't know what we are talking about. The results: it took a 2 win season, a murder-suicide, and a fan revolt complete with a signs being flown over the empty stadium with funeral style black wearing fans to demand a change.

jimkcchief88

All Star
So until it's NOT the in thing to show up and pay 10k for courtside seats to watch this basketball cesspool no changes will be made. James Dolan is a businessman with no conscience who only understands his bottom line. As long as this franchise is worth tons of $$$$$ and the building is full Dolan will continue to pass this team off as a legit NBA franchise. All I can do is not buy anymore KNIcKs crap until they fix this mess. It's too embarrassing to wear around here anyway on Chief

Kiyaman

Legend
So until it's NOT the in thing to show up and pay 10k for courtside seats to watch this basketball cesspool no changes will be made. James Dolan is a businessman with no conscience who only understands his bottom line. As long as this franchise is worth tons of $$$$$ and the building is full Dolan will continue to pass this team off as a legit NBA franchise. All I can do is not buy anymore KNIcKs crap until they fix this mess. It's too embarrassing to wear around here anyway on Chief

Good Point .. Good Point
Phil Jackson is following in the same footsteps as Laydum/Isiah/Walsh/and interim dum-dum the footsteps of Dolan's PUPPETS .. nuttin change but the price of the seats in MSG in 16 years