Is Mark Jackson right for the Knicks?

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Avery started out as a player coach to assistant coach to head coach under the tutoring of Nelson. That is much more then what Marc Jackson has to offer.

But you are right, Avery still didn't have the best credentials to be a head coach and still did a great job. But he also inherited a good team.

What about the new coach of the year Byron Scott?

tiger0330

Legend
What about the new coach of the year Byron Scott?
Scott was an asst for the Kings for 2 years before going to NJ.

Just saw Larry Brown got the head coach job at Charlotte one week after they let Sam Vincent go. Walsh is really taking his time so I don't think Mark Jackson is going to be a layup otherwise he would have hired him.

jimd

Rookie
Not Avery Johnson

Grew up in NY, lived in Dallas last 10 years. Do not get caught up in Avery Johnson hype. He took a great offensive team, added some defense to get to the NBA finals. Championship stolen by a referee. But since then a talented team declined. This year it was clear he cannot coach offense. He has Jason Kidd and cannot instill the movement offense Kidd needs. Avery's offense is drive and dump and pick and roll which depends on stationary wings. He could not get his team to adapt to the movement Jason can take advantage of. He is constantly outcoached. He wins against inferior teams but he cannot make a team better. Look elsewhere. In fact, would rather take a chance on Mark then bring Avery in unless there are secrets to what caused the Mavs decline that are not evident. It was not Kidd, he was not used properly. Look at the the Hornets series, and how often others brought the ball up wasting 12 seconds to get the play going. Disgraceful. And not Dantoni either. Find someone with a plan for the Knicks.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
:update:Actually Patrick Ewing wants a job, he wants to be a part of the Knicks organization, and he is upset that Walsh has not contacted him about a possible job.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...trick_ewing_bothered_by_lack_of_contac-2.html
I knew there was currupt politics going on. I didn't trust Walsh when he first came to the Knicks, but I wanted to give him a chance afterwards. I should've stayed with my first instinct. Walsh is obviously currupt, at least to a certain degree. He gives his pal, Isiah Thomas a free 18 million dollar check to stay away from the Knicks, and he hooks up former Pacer Mark Jackson with a coaching job. I still think Jackson would be a good fit, but he doesn't deserve it over Patrick Ewing. Ewing is the greatest Knick of all time.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I also was skeptical to believe that everything corrupt about the organization is going to change just because Walsh was hire and was supposedly give "autonomy" to run the organization. However, I'm going to remain patient and see what happens. Walsh hasn't really done anything to believe otherwise. It wasn't Walsh who gave Isiah that massive contract, Dolan the stupid ass owner did and although Mark Jackson's hire would raise alarms of corruption, he might turn out to be a good coach. He did get Van Gundy's endorsement.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I also was skeptical to believe that everything corrupt about the organization is going to change just because Walsh was hire and was supposedly give "autonomy" to run the organization. However, I'm going to remain patient and see what happens. Walsh hasn't really done anything to believe otherwise. It wasn't Walsh who gave Isiah that massive contract, Dolan the stupid ass owner did and although Mark Jackson's hire would raise alarms of corruption, he might turn out to be a good coach. He did get Van Gundy's endorsement.

You know who else got Van Gundy's endorsement? Tom Thibodeau and Patrick Ewing.
http://www.nba.com/coachfile/tom_thibodeau/index.html
Both have more (the E word) than Mark. But non of this matters apparently. This is a popularity contest. Theres no legitimate justification to hire Jackson over 20 more qualified coaches.

GM: Brian Colangelo
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Coaching Staff: Herb Williams, Patrick Ewing, Walt Frazier, Athletic trainers, ext.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I am not sure who should be the Knicks coach, but I just finid it quite ridiculous for Patrick Ewing, who has been an assistant coach for three teams, with his last two team made the big men into all around superstars , how this man not been contacted is shameful. It's more or less a repeat of last season, when Zeke let Patrick go without contacting him for the job.

THe Man wants to coach, he's proven he can do a good job with players. Players and coaches both like him and think he will do a nice job..

Mike D'Antoni is the man the Knicks should target after his nebulous situation with the Suns is cleared up later this week.

1) We would stymie the Bulls and Raptors from acquiring him...other eastern conference opponents who would benefit from his coach immediately especially the Raptors.

2) He would provide an up-tempo game that would reinvigorate the fans at the Garden even if they were to suffer from another losing season...if your going to lose at least be competitive and interesting...thats my sentiment.

3) It is possible he could win with this current roster, if we unfortunately cannot dynamically restructure it in the offseason...the only exception to this is Eddy Curry he is lethargic on offense and greedy with the ball this would not work in D'Antoni's system which is predicated on passing, agility, and getting uncontested three point shots. Curry does non of this and he does not provide Defense off the bench or even rebounding he would be the odd man out. This is contingent of course on Randolph and Richardson primarily coming in camp in svelte and motivated.

3) Defense would not be a premium...which is a plus with this current roster especially if we cannot overhaul it...once again winning is predicated on motivation and other young teams in the East such as the Hawks, 76ers and Magic not making rapid improvements in their records due to increased continuity and talent performance.

4) Maybe we get fortunate in the lottery and are able to acquire Beasley or Rose...both of these guys would be SuperStars anywhere but in D'Antoni's offense they would flourish especially Rose as the catalyst...then even if we suck or are mediocre/competitive for the next 2-3 years we have an established nucleus for 2010 & 2011 when we have some cap relief.

Summary: Throw an abundant amount of cash at D'Antoni, hope the veterans buy into his quirky offensive style and we can be competitive now, once we inflate some guys trade value we hope that like Isiah foolishly did with Richardson we can ship them to some hapless bastard GM, while keeping our lottery players and building for the future. Of course Walsh and D'Antoni would have to have a mutual parternship for this to work and that may not be possible.

jzero29

Rotation player
Mike d'antoni?

Screw him, he's another all offense no defense and look where that got the suns and look where it's gotten the knicks. If your looking for experience I'd go avery johnson, I don't like him, but he may be wht this team needs.
I however do like Mark jackson. I am scared about his lack of experience and the fact that I like him anyway. I feel he has always carried himself well, knows the game, was a leader. I just hope his on court leadership could transfer to his sideline leadership. I am all for giving him a shot, but wouldn't be surprised if he fails. It may be hopeless for this team.

You make some very solid points...the same could potentially be said about Avery Johnson also, his teams underachieved and choked with a bounty of talent and had defensively lapses in critical situations. With that being said though if Avery doesn't face a veteran mutiny if they were to bring him in, defense should improve exponentially. I also agree with you about Jackson if we have to go inexperienced because the franchise is a cesspool right now, he may be the only and correct man for the job because no respected veteran coach will touch this team. Additionally though anything will be an improvement over Isiah we can all be certain about that.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
New Coach

I would like to see Mark Jackson as the next coach for the Knicks. I know he does not have experience as a "coach" or an "assistant coach," but he certainly does have "basketball experience." He is a smart, tough, New Yorker who maximized his physical abilities by intelligent use of them. He will not be pushed around by any of the current Knick prima donnas.

All the available coaches being bandied about -- Johnson, Carlisle, D'Antoni, Mitchell -- either have been or are projected to be fired because their teams have underperformed. From one perspective, they are all failures.

I love Patrick Ewing as a player -- particularly his work ethic -- and he has surely been a good assistant coach, at least for big men. But I am not sure he is an Xs and Os guy. I have another concern about Patrick. I am originally a New Yorker and have maintained my emotional ties to the New York teams, but I have lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts for over forty years -- there is a reason why my moniker is "Oldtimer." I remember Patrick from his years at Cambridge Rindge & Latin High School. The son of a friend of mine was on the basketball team with him. There is one consistent theme about Patrick -- he is a "very nice guy." Even Larry Bird likes him. I think he might be too "nice" to be a top notch head coach. I am not sure he has the necessary edge. I think Jackson might.

George Glymph and Mark Aguirre have assistant coaching experience. Does anyone want either of them over Mark Jackson? Sure Jackson is a risk, but all those other names are retreads.

Blas

Benchwarmer
...I also agree with you about Jackson if we have to go inexperienced because the franchise is a cesspool right now, he may be the only and correct man for the job because no respected veteran coach will touch this team...

That does not make a lot of sense to me, please explain.

And oldtimer, Isiah has a lot of Basketball experience too.

donchris

I've been waiting for two weeks to get a logical answer to this question. I've read a lot of emotional answers like "I like Mark Jackson" and "You don't need experience to be a good coach", all arguments that don't make a lot of since to me. Sure you can find one or two coaches that came in with next to no experience and performed well. I consider those examples the exception to the rule. Now that Avery is available, hopefully everyone will stop talking about Mark. I don't know how he even qualified for an interview and Paul Silas and Herb had to ask for one?

Donnie doesn't need to make a move until after the playoffs or sooner if the Celtics get eliminated. He's got to interview Tom before he makes a move.

metrocard

Legend
Avery Johnson would be a terrible choice. He's only good at being a dictator. When he comes to the Knicks, he'll have nothing to dictate because we don't have J-Kidd, J-Ho or Dirk.

I wouldn't care if we give Mark Jackson a chance, its not like any coach in this world has a chance to turn the Knicks around in 2 years. Its going to take a good 5 years before we see any difference after Isiah's massacre on the franchise.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I think this team needs a strict coach with an iron fist. This team needs a severe case of discipline. Sure, there are certain players thats not going to like it and may never accept the coach's philosophy but those are the players we don't want on the floor anyways. Just bench their asses for the entire season if they don't conform. I'm talking to you Curry! I like D'Antoni a lot but he's a coach that you hire after the team has been well coached defensively. That's why the Houston Rockets are doing so well with Rick Adelman. If Van Gundy did not do such a great job with team, Rick Adelman's offense would not have been enough for the Rockets to have the season that they had. The same goes for the Pistons - Flip Saunders replacing Larry Brown.

Kiyaman

Legend
http://www.nba.com/coachfile/tom_thibodeau/index.html
Both have more (the E word) than Mark. But non of this matters apparently. This is a popularity contest. Theres no legitimate justification to hire Jackson over 20 more qualified coaches.

GM: Brian Colangelo
Head Coach: Tom Thibodeau
Coaching Staff: Herb Williams, Patrick Ewing, Walt Frazier, Athletic trainers, ext.

All three of the above coaches are strictly defense and know little about offense.

The reason why Mark Jackson is the best choice is easy.
Remember we are discussing the Knicks 15 man roster.
Getting a top name coach will cost the Knicks a long expensive contract.
The Knicks are 2 to 4 years away from getting winning players added to their roster and subtracting the poison.
So the Knicks situation calls for someone new articulate an unexperience to take the Knicks head coaching job for two seasons.

How much, how long would you want your contract to be if you were an experience coach taking on this Knick Club?
And how much would you pay to coach this 23 win season team?

donchris

All three of the above coaches are strictly defense and know little about offense.

The reason why Mark Jackson is the best choice is easy.
Remember we are discussing the Knicks 15 man roster.
Getting a top name coach will cost the Knicks a long expensive contract.
The Knicks are 2 to 4 years away from getting winning players added to their roster and subtracting the poison.
So the Knicks situation calls for someone new articulate an unexperience to take the Knicks head coaching job for two seasons.

How much, how long would you want your contract to be if you were an experience coach taking on this Knick Club?
And how much would you pay to coach this 23 win season team?

Kiyaman no disrespect but that is an absurd point of view. Your premise is that the Knicks are so bad that the best option is to hire a coach with zero experience? Then what, fire him after two seasons? Your one of the most logical dude's up here so your response in defense of Jackson surprises me. You must know that Tom Thibodeau worked with Van Gundy to bring the Knicks to the 99 finals. That's one of many accomplishments on his resume. We don't need a big name coach but let's keep it real, most of us didn't even know who Thibodeau was prior to his name coming up in the Post and if you did I tilt my hat to you. He's not a big name but he is well qualified. Think of this as a business. Do you promote from within, bring in new blood that has proven experience in the field of coaching and specific strengths where your company is weak or bringing some one new that doesn't have the qualifications you need but worked hard on the assembly line. Mark is good and one day he may be a good coach but haven't we gambled enough?

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Kiyaman no disrespect but that is an absurd point of view. Your premise is that the Knicks are so bad that the best option is to hire a coach with zero experience? Then what, fire him after two seasons? Your one of the most logical dude's up here so your response in defense of Jackson surprises me. You must know that Tom Thibodeau worked with Van Gundy to bring the Knicks to the 99 finals. That's one of many accomplishments on his resume. We don't need a big name coach but let's keep it real, most of us didn't even know who Thibodeau was prior to his name coming up in the Post and if you did I tilt my hat to you. He's not a big name but he is well qualified. Think of this as a business. Do you promote from within, bring in new blood that has proven experience in the field of coaching and specific strengths where your company is weak or bringing some one new that doesn't have the qualifications you need but worked hard on the assembly line. Mark is good and one day he may be a good coach but haven't we gambled enough?

Actually Kiyaman's view isn't as absurd as you think. Its called a placeholder and teams from college to pro do it all the time. You already know you have a sucky team that won't do anything for 2-3 years until you can rid yourself of the deadweight. So do you pay a top flight coach big money to coach that bad team??? Why not have a built in fall guy( usually black) to coach the team. You don't have to pay him alot of money because he doesn't have any experience and you are "giving" the guy a chance. Meanwhile you get rid of the deadweight and your real candidate becomes availible. In 2-3 years maybe Phil Jackson is tired in LA or whatever. Then you can get rid of your placeholder coach and get your real candidate. Think Ty Willingham at Notre Dame.

What it means is that an experienced coach's prospects for victory are improved because he knows how to handle different players personalities, motivate millionaires with guaranteed contracts, and work fifteen hour days dissecting opponents game film and improving the team in all facets.

With Jackson all of this knowledge would have to be accrued the first year on the job because he has little to coach off of except for personal playing experience. However in Jackson's defense he has a positive social capital with the people and media of NY, also he would have a 2-3 grace period because he is Mark "Action" Jackson and people have fond memories of him on the 90's Knicks teams. The nostalgia of when the Knicks were of consequence, would enable Jackson to learn on the job until he could develop in to a adequate (or potentially good, excellent, hall of fame) coach. Then in 2010 or 2011 when the Knicks have cap relief he could be the leader of a competitive Knicks team. All of these reasons make Jackson a viable option as the coach if no experienced coach wants the job: due to the fact that there are few players to barter, the payroll is decadent for group of malcontents, mediocre players and career journeymen, and no one wants to embark on a rebuilding job with the scathing enormous NY media.

Conversely though Jackson could be abysmal coach who serves as a proxy coach (as mentioned is previous posts) until 2010 when other more tantalizing coaching prospects are available and we have the money to make moves in free agent market. Finally Ewing is also a similar situation although his coaching experience is a little more robust with his tutelage to Yao and Dwight Howard.

Blas

Benchwarmer
So you guys are telling me that Jackson is the right coach for the knicks because he is a good scapegoat?

And btw, jimkcchief88, lets not bring race into this please. That was not needed.