I've lost perspective on the MDA argu. Someone tell me again why he shouldnt be fired

Kinda lost a little perspective here. Whats the argument for keeping MDA? How many positives are there? How do the positives outweigh the negatives...

KBlack25

Starter
Briefly outlined, as I understand it from a compilation of posts:

1. It would cost the team $ to fire him, and Dolan probably would not want to spend all that money for MDA to NOT coach AND get someone good. The odds of us firing him and hiring someone better (read: for the $ it would take to get a season coach) are low.

2. It is unclear whether a proper, more viable candidate is out there.

3. Continuity - firing a guy who has had 3 months to work with the full roster just leads to more chaos in the organization. There should be some level of continuity within the team...rather than having coaches on a turnstile (like we did during the tumultuous period of the last decade), having coaching consistency might be helpful in the team developing chemistry.

4. The locker room - this is the big one for me. If the coach is respected in the locker room, and STAT/Melo/Chauncey are buying in to his system, then he should stay.

5. Dolan has been talking to Isiah.

6. Yes, I said Isiah.

7. You want to even RISK bringing Isiah back?

8. Isiah!

9. From my perspective, regardless of who this team has as its coach, without a rebounding big man that is reliable, we are going nowhere - we have roster issues that need addressing still. Maybe a new coach would bring one in, maybe not...

Wargames

Starter
In addition to the money issue and the roster change issue. The general consensus is there may be better coaches (doc rivers) who will be willi g to start coaching in 2012 if D'antoni fails.

nuckles2k2

Superstar

1. It would cost the team $ to fire him, and Dolan probably would not want to spend all that money for MDA to NOT coach AND get someone good. The odds of us firing him and hiring someone better (read: for the $ it would take to get a season coach) are low.

3. Continuity - firing a guy who has had 3 months to work with the full roster just leads to more chaos in the organization. There should be some level of continuity within the team...rather than having coaches on a turnstile (like we did during the tumultuous period of the last decade), having coaching consistency might be helpful in the team developing chemistry.

4. The locker room - this is the big one for me. If the coach is respected in the locker room, and STAT/Melo/Chauncey are buying in to his system, then he should stay.

6. Yes, I said Isiah.

8. Isiah!

9. From my perspective, regardless of who this team has as its coach, without a rebounding big man that is reliable, we are going nowhere - we have roster issues that need addressing still. Maybe a new coach would bring one in, maybe not...

1. I don't see where Dolan is cheap...he paid the luxury tax for several years under Isiah for an underwhelming team...he's already shown that money is not an issue, and I'm not sure where this point came from. Maybe there's an article or something somewhere, but based on his actions, it doesn't seem like he minds spending $.

2. Look at the roster, look at the strengths of our core superstars, look at MDA's philosophy...they don't mesh well. If you're in a bad marriage, you don't wait for the "right" one to come around before file those divorce papers. This point is just weird.

3. The continuity point makes more sense than the 3 months point, only because stability is always welcomed. But MDA's habitual, gross, mismanagement of rotations, late game situations, and stylistic adjustments have been present since day one, it's just that the excuse back then was "look at our roster"....then..."we're shedding salary"....then...."we have a bunch of new, young players, let them mesh"....then...."we just made a huge trade, let them mesh"...now it's....."it's only been 3 months, give him time"...funny thing is....none of that explains why it's ok to take early shots late in the game with a lead, not crash the boards or get back in transition on D.

4. They're pros, they'll get over it.

5-8. Based on what? Isiah is in the past, Frank Isola seems to be convinced that Isiah is involved with the Knicks...but he was also exposed as a Knicks hater. It's kind of funny that you label SAS as an idiot, but you're arguing a point only perpetuated by a man that has already been exposed as a douchebag extraordinaire.

9. Our roster issues wouldn't solve us putting up a perimeter shot with 18 seconds on the shot clock while up by 5 in the 4th Q. It wouldn't solve issues of offense being inserted into the game when we need big bodies, and rebounding at that point in time. It wouldn't solve the sheer lack of creativity on the offensive end when needed. Would it explain why KG was WIDE OPEN for that lob pass in game 2....when we literally just came out of a time out? Would solving our roster situation make our coach use precious timeouts and fouls to give in an intelligent way?

KBlack25

Starter
1. I don't see where Dolan is cheap...he paid the luxury tax for several years under Isiah for an underwhelming team...he's already shown that money is not an issue, and I'm not sure where this point came from. Maybe there's an article or something somewhere, but based on his actions, it doesn't seem like he minds spending $.

2. Look at the roster, look at the strengths of our core superstars, look at MDA's philosophy...they don't mesh well. If you're in a bad marriage, you don't wait for the "right" one to come around before file those divorce papers. This point is just weird.

3. The continuity point makes more sense than the 3 months point, only because stability is always welcomed. But MDA's habitual, gross, mismanagement of rotations, late game situations, and stylistic adjustments have been present since day one, it's just that the excuse back then was "look at our roster"....then..."we're shedding salary"....then...."we have a bunch of new, young players, let them mesh"....then...."we just made a huge trade, let them mesh"...now it's....."it's only been 3 months, give him time"...funny thing is....none of that explains why it's ok to take early shots late in the game with a lead, not crash the boards or get back in transition on D.

5-8. Based on what? Isiah is in the past, Frank Isola seems to be convinced that Isiah is involved with the Knicks...but he was also exposed as a Knicks hater. It's kind of funny that you label SAS as an idiot, but you're arguing a point only perpetuated by a man that has already been exposed as a douchebag extraordinaire.

9. Our roster issues wouldn't solve us putting up a perimeter shot with 18 seconds on the shot clock while up by 5 in the 4th Q. It wouldn't solve issues of offense being inserted into the game when we need big bodies, and rebounding at that point in time. It wouldn't solve the sheer lack of creativity on the offensive end when needed. Would it explain why KG was WIDE OPEN for that lob pass in game 2....when we literally just came out of a time out? Would solving our roster situation make our coach use precious timeouts and fouls to give in an intelligent way?

Re: Isiah

Read this, http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-thomasknicks022011

Red

TYPE-A

First they clammor how we were in too much flux, roster changes etc...

Then they argue how a new coach will affect stability...smh

*Reminder
We basically have a new look roster, there is nothing stable, thus THIS is the time to move on while new players (Melo & Billups) are here to rebuild with Stat etc...

Poor argument.

Simple:
We need defense to compete- Mike fails
We need to acquire more pieces- Mike fails
We need to incorporate a coach that can "teach" and increase a players defensive abilities- Mike fails

What we need Mike doesn't have. Cut our loses!

KBlack25

Starter
I didn't say I agreed with all the points...

I merely gave Clyde a list of things I see being said, because he asked.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
if we get the calls in games 1 and 2 its a great series and we maybe even get a healthy stat and/or billups and pick up another w or 2.

he had his roster COMPLETELY BLOWN UP twice this year and we still made huge strides.

you cannot honestly say that hes gotten a fair shot with a complete team.

Paul1355

All Star

6. Yes, I said Isiah.

8. Isiah!

Whatever money we pay a coach doent go against our cap, Mike D is getting paid 6 million a year, what a waste.

There are coaches out there that are better already IMO, Mark Jackson, Patrick Ewing, Hubie Brown, etc.

The only continuity with any team is its star players which means moving parts will ALWAYS occur around Melo/Amare. Mike D is not an immovable object, he is weak and should get tossed aside

The locker room has improved from the Isiah era, but anything and anyone could have improved the locker room from Isiah. So really it sounds like your grabbing at straws here. How much longer can a locker room stay positive if you continue to get beat because of the same stupid inexcusable reasons?

Dolan has been talking to isiah but Isiah won't be back into an executive position or else everyone that works in MSG will bolt. It would be a PR disaster and Dolan would lose many Knick fans to Prokorov and the future Brooklyn Ballers.

So really i heard no reasons that make sense...

KBlack25

Starter
Whatever money we pay a coach doent go against our cap, Mike D is getting paid 6 million a year, what a waste.

There are coaches out there that are better already IMO, Mark Jackson, Patrick Ewing, Hubie Brown, etc.

The only continuity with any team is its star players which means moving parts will ALWAYS occur around Melo/Amare. Mike D is not an immovable object, he is weak and should get tossed aside

The locker room has improved from the Isiah era, but anything and anyone could have improved the locker room from Isiah. So really it sounds like your grabbing at straws here. How much longer can a locker room stay positive if you continue to get beat because of the same stupid inexcusable reasons?

Dolan has been talking to isiah but Isiah won't be back into an executive position or else everyone that works in MSG will bolt. It would be a PR disaster and Dolan would lose many Knick fans to Prokorov and the future Brooklyn Ballers.

So really i heard no reasons that make sense...

What evidence do you have that PE is a better coach? Or Mark Jackson? What part of their track record indicates they would be good? Sorry, PAtrick Ewing has failed as a coach for Dwight Howard, D12 on talent and build alone should be the best player in the league, but he comes out frequently uninspired, uninterested, constantly bickering with the refs instead of playing his game...the Magic coaching staff as a whole has failed to get that young man's head right and in the game to harness his other-worldly talents and there is no documentary evidence of either person's coaching ability besides SVG's wild rantings...And while Hubie may be better, he hasn't exactly expressed an interest, to my knowledge, in coming here.

How do you know Isiah won't be back in an executive position? Dolan was ready to do so, despite negative PR, at least once in the past 365 days and if Woj from Yahoo! Sports is to be believed, he had a heavy hand in the Carmelo deal and has Dolan's ear.

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter

Money has never stopped Dolan from making moves in the past. I don't think it's a valid concern here. There are some very good coaches out there that can be had, Jerry Sloan & Rick Adelman head the list & possibly Phil Jackson or Doc Rivers as well if they decide not to take a year off from coaching.

With #3 I think you make probably the only real reason why MDA should be retained. The constant changing of coaches is not a good thing the only way this team can ever form any kind of consistent level of play is if they get to know a system & play in it for an extended period of time & become accustomed to all of its nuances. The problem here is whether or not MDA's system is worth investing any more time into trying to make work. My stance is no but I know there are those that believe in this coach & his philosophies.

As for #4, personally I don't think all of the players on this team buy into his system, which will inevitably lead to further problems down the road. Everyone needs to be on the same page & buy into a scheme if they want to be successful. I'm not confident that will ever happen w/this coach. Out of the big 3 the only one that I truly get the sense that he wants MDA to stay to coach this team is Amar'e. I think Melo has made it pretty obvious that he's either ambivalent or unsure of whether MDA is the right coach for this team & I don't remember hearing Chauncey Billups ever fully endorsing this head coach either.

6. Yes, I said Isiah.

8. Isiah!

I don't think Isiah will ever be back in any official capacity with this team, the fans would revolt if Dolan ever did that. Plus I don't think David Stern would let it happen.

I agree with you on your last point about a bigman, we probably won't win anything regardless of who's coaching us without one. This issue probably makes an even better case for not wanting MDA as our head coach as he's never really been known to favor utilizing a traditional lineup anyway.

nyk_nyk

All Star
What coach do you have that has expressed interest in coming to coach in NY? What coach do you know is willing to work for James Dolan, one of the worst bosses in America?

Three off the top of my head would be JVG , Slaon and Adelman as viable candidates.

Your comment was "It is unclear whether a proper, more viable candidate is out there."

None of them would express interest while MDA still has the job (you shoud know that), but should MDA get fired I'm sure there would be some interest in coaching a team with Melo and STAT as the centerpieces. As far as who's willing to work for Dolan? None of us know but he got MDA with no problem so I think that's a non issue. At the end of the day, money talks.

KBlack25

Starter
Three off the top of my head would be JVG , Slaon and Adelman as viable candidates.

Your comment was "It is unclear whether a proper, more viable candidate is out there."

None of them would express interest while MDA still has the job (you shoud know that), but should MDA get fired I'm sure there would be some interest in coaching a team with Melo and STAT as the centerpieces. As far as who's willing to work for Dolan? None of us know but he got MDA with no problem so I think that's a non issue. At the end of the day, money talks.

JVG has been pretty steadfast in not coming back over the years - so I don't know where you get that from, unless you are just making up facts.

Everything I have read and see has indicated Sloan intends to stay retired - so I don't know where you get that from, unless you are just making up facts.

Adelman has expressed interest in continuing to coach, but it's still unclear where and for who.

6. Yes, I said Isiah.

8. Isiah!

Besides the Isiah part of your reasons I dont see why we bring MDA back. If Dolan is idiotic enough to bring back Isiah he should be checked into a mental facility immediately.

Other than that I cant see why we waste another year on a coach with so many flaws. Flaws that he is unlikely to overcome. There is only so much prime time in a basketball players career, and wasting that time is never a wise move. We dont have the players that fit his system offensively. No matter what Walsh does he'll never be able to obtain these players. Never.