Just watched Game 5 of the Knicks vs. Pistons from 1984 on my Knicks DVD

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
First round, Knicks won.

Bernard King, Ray Williams, Rory Sparrow, Bill Cartwright, etc., and Hubie Brown as our coach.

It's an MSG broadcast. Former Knick Butch Beard and Marv Albert commented. Don't remember hearing of Butch Beard before, and don't know if I heard him commentate before. He's great. Would LOVE him on our broadcast team now.

Kelly Tripucka playing for the Pistons with a mustache.

Bernard King went off for 44 points and Bill Cartwright had a great game (Butch Beard said he's having the game of his Playoff career).

Very good game, went to OT. Was exciting in the last few minutes of regulation and OT.

Why am I bringing this game up? Well, it is great to talk about Knicks history, but that's not why I brought it up. Aside from Bernard King being his great usual self, the Knicks had players posting up and taking shots inside the arc. Only a few three pointers were taken by EACH team. I think most went in. That's some good basketball. You don't need a lot of threes to win games, you need players who can shoot inside the arc, attack the rim, play defense, and rebound.

I don't always pay attention to defense, and sometimes I don't know either way if it's good or not, but I didn't see players blowing by our team, and in the fourth quarter I think, or somewhere around then, Butch Beard, I think he said it, the Knicks were third in defense that year.

As many of you know, Bernard King was a shooting and scoring machine. Post up, shoot in your face, handle the ball, etc. I'm not gonna compare him to Melo, I haven't seen a lot of Bernard King, in fact I haven't seen a lot of Melo before he came to the Knicks, but from what other people said, and I saw enough to understand it, Melo needs to be posted up/get down low. We know he has three point range, but not only does a lot of three pointers might, depending on who they are, make players lazy, I also like rugged basketball, giving the opposing team a battle near the basket. That's the kind of play New York City should have in my opinion.

Bernard had pretty good teammates, but Bernard was THE guy there. We have two superstars. This game made me realize, it's likely we need a new coach. I'm not going to say definitely, because, I'm no expert on coaching. I'm not an expert on anything in basketball, but I think I have a good enough knowledge since I have watched a lot. Yes, Bernard King was better than either of our two superstars, but he didn't even play much in the third quarter of this game and we went into the fourth with the lead, even if Isiah Thomas sat out a lot of it too, which I don't remember if he did, since he was in foul trouble in the fourth. I take it Hubie Brown knew what to do to win in the Playoffs.

Would love for us to offer Hubie Brown a coaching job.

Bernard King was defending and fighting for a loose ball even with five fouls. Stoudemire, that's what you gotta do, sir.

We need players who know how to play, not just super athletic guys. Landry Fields is that kind of player and a keeper, his athleticism is a bonus.

You could always learn something from old school basketball.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I can't watch basketball from before the 90's lol. It ****ing bores me
Take a look at this game. Not a load of fouls called and it didn't take players three minutes to begin to take free throws. Yeah, the feeling isn't quite the same as the 90s-now, but it was real basketball.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Take a look at this game. Not a load of fouls called and it didn't take players three minutes to begin to take free throws. Yeah, the feeling isn't quite the same as the 90s-now, but it was real basketball.

**** that, the only real basketball is jared jefferies basketball. I'll take that concept to the grave. Why the **** am I still up at 3:30? Damnit. Idk

First round, Knicks won.

Bernard King, Ray Williams, Rory Sparrow, Bill Cartwright, etc., and Hubie Brown as our coach.

It's an MSG broadcast. Former Knick Butch Beard and Marv Albert commented. Don't remember hearing of Butch Beard before, and don't know if I heard him commentate before. He's great. Would LOVE him on our broadcast team now.

Kelly Tripucka playing for the Pistons with a mustache.

Bernard King went off for 44 points and Bill Cartwright had a great game (Butch Beard said he's having the game of his Playoff career).

Very good game, went to OT. Was exciting in the last few minutes of regulation and OT.

Why am I bringing this game up? Well, it is great to talk about Knicks history, but that's not why I brought it up. Aside from Bernard King being his great usual self, the Knicks had players posting up and taking shots inside the arc. Only a few three pointers were taken by EACH team. I think most went in. That's some good basketball. You don't need a lot of threes to win games, you need players who can shoot inside the arc, attack the rim, play defense, and rebound.

I don't always pay attention to defense, and sometimes I don't know either way if it's good or not, but I didn't see players blowing by our team, and in the fourth quarter I think, or somewhere around then, Butch Beard, I think he said it, the Knicks were third in defense that year.

As many of you know, Bernard King was a shooting and scoring machine. Post up, shoot in your face, handle the ball, etc. I'm not gonna compare him to Melo, I haven't seen a lot of Bernard King, in fact I haven't seen a lot of Melo before he came to the Knicks, but from what other people said, and I saw enough to understand it, Melo needs to be posted up/get down low. We know he has three point range, but not only does a lot of three pointers might, depending on who they are, make players lazy, I also like rugged basketball, giving the opposing team a battle near the basket. That's the kind of play New York City should have in my opinion.

Bernard had pretty good teammates, but Bernard was THE guy there. We have two superstars. This game made me realize, it's likely we need a new coach. I'm not going to say definitely, because, I'm no expert on coaching. I'm not an expert on anything in basketball, but I think I have a good enough knowledge since I have watched a lot. Yes, Bernard King was better than either of our two superstars, but he didn't even play much in the third quarter of this game and we went into the fourth with the lead, even if Isiah Thomas sat out a lot of it too, which I don't remember if he did, since he was in foul trouble in the fourth. I take it Hubie Brown knew what to do to win in the Playoffs.

Would love for us to offer Hubie Brown a coaching job.

Bernard King was defending and fighting for a loose ball even with five fouls. Stoudemire, that's what you gotta do, sir.

We need players who know how to play, not just super athletic guys. Landry Fields is that kind of player and a keeper, his athleticism is a bonus.

You could always learn something from old school basketball.

I like mid/late 80s basketball, you have to keep in mind though that the game has changed dramatically over the last 25 years!

What worked then doesn't work now.

The 90s and earlier 00s saw the best basketball ever played imo.
From about 02-03 onwards the NBA got worse.

I like mid/late 80s basketball, you have to keep in mind though that the game has changed dramatically over the last 25 years!

What worked then doesn't work now.

The 90s and earlier 00s saw the best basketball ever played imo.
From about 02-03 onwards the NBA got worse.
I think basketball is going to start to get better. Now theres a lot more competition and a lot more up and coming teams like OKC,Knicks,Grizzlies,Wizards and teams like the Cavs and Minny are going to get Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams. Also 2012 is going to be a great draft class