knicks and shannon brown?

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
yea lets pick up another journeyman.. we don't have enough of those guys yet... jeez the knicks talk to one guy and the fanboys on here start hyping the guy up... it's not really like we have a great record at bringing these guys in but you guys make it sound like the front office actually has a record at this. next you will be hyping bring back i.t.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
They've offered him between $4-5M! How is this a good move? I think D'Antoni's dreaming of the second coming of Barbosa.

In his summer league interview, Donnie referred to NY's blank space at the SG position. So why are we signing a player to play SHOOTING GUARD that can't shoot? And why pay him so much that it negates our flexibility with non matching salaries, as a team UNDER the salary cap?

I don't like this move much at all. Much prefer Rudy Fernandez who can snipe 3s on top of doing everything else Brown can do.

Paul1355

All Star
2x champion...id prefer him over Chandler as well.

As others have said about Chandler -- you can't teach heart.
Chandler is a small forward that uses his power to slash and make close shots and blocks shots as a good defender, Brown is a fast athletic dunking type of SG-like Bill Walker but faster.

Chandler and Brown are two different players but Chandler is better right now and has bigger upside. Not even an argument.

Paul1355

All Star
They've offered him between $4-5M! How is this a good move? I think D'Antoni's dreaming of the second coming of Barbosa.

In his summer league interview, Donnie referred to NY's blank space at the SG position. So why are we signing a player to play SHOOTING GUARD that can't shoot? And why pay him so much that it negates our flexibility with non matching salaries, as a team UNDER the salary cap?

I don't like this move much at all. Much prefer Rudy Fernandez who can snipe 3s on top of doing everything else Brown can do.
We have around 3 million left over to spend, Chandler would play out of position in the two and having Chandler off the bench would give us a great bench.

The Blazers want a 1st round pick for Rudy and the Knicks can't trade one until 2014, and they wouldnt trade a 1st round pick anyway.

Getting Brown who would excel in a fast paced offense and play good perimeter D is a nice fit on this team. My concern is giving everyone minutes.

Bill Walker HAS to get ateeleast role players minutes (10-15 mpg)
Chandler should get at the least a role player to sixth man minutes (14-20 mpg)
Fields can play the 2 and 3 and should get some playing time (5 mpg)
So Brown might have a tough time getting muntes but his athleticism can make him 2nd on the depth chart as a SG voer Chandler and make Chandler the main SF off the bench behind Gallo.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Getting Brown who would excel in a fast paced offense and play good perimeter D is a nice fit on this team. My concern is giving everyone minutes.

So Brown might have a tough time getting minutes but his athleticism can make him 2nd on the depth chart as a SG voer Chandler and make Chandler the main SF off the bench behind Gallo.

This is what I'm saying! With Walker, Chandler, Fields and Azabuike, why do we even need Shannon Brown? WE DO NOT NEED SHANNON BROWN And it's not like Douglas can't play the 2 either! We don't need to clog up the 2 any further with basketball players that ARE NOT reliable shooters.

Douglas, Chandler, Walker, Fields, Rautins and Azabuike's combined salary is a little over $5M. Why pay Brown that equivalent to just be a smaller version of Wilson Chandler?

It's ****ing lunacy.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Agreed. What the hell does Shannon Brown bring that we don't already have? We already have Wilson Chandler and Landry Fields, two athletic players with similar skillsets to Shannon Brown...what the hell are we going to do with Shannon Brown?

Unless you guys think Shannon Brown deserves to get more minutes than Wilson Chandler who scored 15 PPG last season, he's a waste of cap space

LJ4ptplay

Starter

This has to be bullsh*t. We only have around $2.5 mil in cap space so there is no way we can offer him $4-5 mil/year. Maybe it's a 2 year deal at $2.5 mil?

Or maybe this is just another example of a player using New York as leverage to get a higher contract. We've seen this done before. Notice how it is only Brown's agent making these claims?

Either way, it would be a terrible decision to sign this guy. As you astutely said before, he's just a shorter version of Chandler.

We need shooting. We only have one shooter on this team. That's not going to cut it in D'Antoni's system. Look for many bricks being chucked this season.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
This is what I'm saying! With Walker, Chandler, Fields and Azabuike, why do we even need Shannon Brown? WE DO NOT NEED SHANNON BROWN And it's not like Douglas can't play the 2 either! We don't need to clog up the 2 any further with basketball players that ARE NOT reliable shooters.

Douglas, Chandler, Walker, Fields, Rautins and Azabuike's combined salary is a little over $5M. Why pay Brown that equivalent to just be a smaller version of Wilson Chandler?

It's ****ing lunacy.

Unless the plan is to package some of these guys, in say..., a trade. :thumbsup:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
shannon brown over wilson chandler??? u guys can not be serious...shannon brown is and will not be a better player den wilson chandler...ppl question wilson chandler heart...this guy has improved every year since entering da league...just because he doesnt show emotions doesnt mean he dont care

Paul1355

All Star
Unless the plan is to package some of these guys, in say..., a trade. :thumbsup:
agreed.

The only reason to be loaded with all these names is because Donnie wants to put together a package of players that is not only Gallo or Randolph.

The Knicks want assets for a deep bench and they need assets to even be in talks with Melo or Chis Paul.

If we did get Shannon Brown or Rudy Fernandez, then Walker-Rautins-Chandler all become expendable.

I think Walker will be a nice player and he just lost weight and is a great outside shooter but Fernandez is better and Brown is faster and suited more for the fast break.

I agree that Donnie is just getting these players to make a deal because we are going to have a problem with giving everyone minutes.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Yeah, I've mentioned this several times in other threads, but it's obvious to me that the Knicks are loading up on young assets in order to at least explore the possibility of being major players in the Chris Paul Sweepstakes.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
even if the knicks trade for paul and thats a huge if, we still need a sg. i don't see any out there floating around... chandler is as good as its going to get... on the positive he's still developing and could be greatly improved with the talent in the front line they have brought in. go knicks