Knicks cleaning house...trade JR Smith and Shumpert

paris401

Starter
'if' I had a team, and I was missing the last piece which was a power forward, i'll trade for love... BUT.. would I start building my team around him...no way...

if my last piece missing was a small forward I would not trade for Me-Lo either.... good player/shooter/rebounder/etc/etc... but there is something missing that will take him n his teammates to the next level...

CoolClyde

if my last piece missing was a small forward I would not trade for Me-Lo either.... good player/shooter/rebounder/etc/etc... but there is something missing that will take him n his teammates to the next level...

calling Dr. Jackson! calling Dr. Phil Jackson!

Kiyaman

Legend
In February 2015 .. the NBA has twelve (12) teams tanking their season, for what?
The Okafor Bowl? Com'on

This 2014-15 NBA season has become an embarrassment to professional basketball, when u notice half the teams in the league are winning 1 game out of 3 games consistently .. the Knicks are winning 1 game out of 4 games! TANKING!

Are the rosters of the 12 losing-teams a Bust? a Project? or Both?
Are the coaching-staff on these losing-teams Bust? Projects? or Legit?
Are the referee officiating the cause for so many losing-teams this season???

Scipio

Benchwarmer
JR was, is and always will be a cancer to any team. I`m so happy to see him gone. Is it a coincidence that since he left we have been playing more as a team? I don`t think so.

Broadway

All Star
JR was, is and always will be a cancer to any team. I`m so happy to see him gone. Is it a coincidence that since he left we have been playing more as a team? I don`t think so.

Glad J.R. is gone but he missed almost a month of basketball and we looked pretty pathetic without him. I don't think he made a difference either way but our schedule has never been easier over the past 2 weeks compared to how it started off.

Kiyaman

Legend
^in other words, no Love for Melo?

Knicks biggest problem are what spot to play Melo at? SF? or PF?
On the offensive-end Melo has the talent to score on the wing as a SG/SF or down-low as a PF.
However ....
Melo is a weak defensive-rebounder, and weak paint defender to put at the 4 spot (PF) on defense.
For $124M 5 yr contract Melo has to learn to defend the wing, and down-low as a SF the first 3 yrs of his contract.
Phil Jax has to get a 30 minute defensive-rebounder PF (Paul Milsap), and a 30 minute paint-defender Center (DeAndre Jordan) to put in a line-up with Melo next season.

Broadway

All Star
Knicks biggest problem are what spot to play Melo at? SF? or PF?
On the offensive-end Melo has the talent to score on the wing as a SG/SF or down-low as a PF.
However ....
Melo is a weak defensive-rebounder, and weak paint defender to put at the 4 spot (PF) on defense.
For $124M 5 yr contract Melo has to learn to defend the wing, and down-low as a SF the first 3 yrs of his contract.
Phil Jax has to get a 30 minute defensive-rebounder PF (Paul Milsap), and a 30 minute paint-defender Center (DeAndre Jordan) to put in a line-up with Melo next season.

13yrs in he's probably not going to learn. We're not talking about a player who's on their rookie deal. Paul Milsap doesn't sound like he's interested in going anywhere

ATLANTA (AP) ? The Hawks know it can be done.

A season ago, they watched the San Antonio Spurs blow out LeBron James' Miami Heat for the NBA title without anyone carrying the bulk of the load.

Still, this is rather rare territory in a star-driven league, a team pushing itself into the championship mix without one or two players standing above the others.

Atlanta, which has set a franchise record with 15 straight wins and leads the East with a stunning 36-8 record, is a team in every sense of the word. The starting lineup is about as balanced as it can be, with five players averaging between 17.2 and 11.7 points per game. The bench runs five or six players deep on any given night, all of them capable of making a valuable contribution.
"Every night, somebody different can step up," coach Mike Budenholzer said.

Not that the Hawks don't have some talented players. Paul Millsap and Al Horford have been to the All-Star Game. Jeff Teague, the team's point guard and top scorer, will almost certainly make the All-Star team for the first time when the East reserves are announced. Sharp-shooting Kyle Korver and defensive stopper DeMarre Carroll have blossomed in starting roles since coming to Atlanta.

"Give me four or five really good players compared to just one superstar," Millsap said. "I'll take that any day."

The deep roster has created a camaraderie that might be unmatched on any team. Those who aren't in the game can usually be found hooting and hollering on the sideline, cheering on their teammates, everyone fully invested.

"It's kind of like a college team," Carroll said. "Everything we do, we do as a group. We know we've got each other's backs."
Over the last 30 years, only five teams have gone on to win the NBA title without at least one player averaging at least 20 points a game, according to STATS.

The most recent was last year's Spurs, who were paced by Tony Parker at 16.7 points a game.

"We watched how the Spurs did it in the Finals," Korver said. "We're not the Spurs, but we do a lot of similar things. And they won the Finals pretty convincingly."

No other champion in that span has had a top scorer with a scoring average lower than 17.6, slightly above Teague's average.

"There are definitely times during a game when you need someone to step up and make a play," Korver said. "What we're trying to do is make it possible for a lot of people to be that guy. There's a lot of talk about us not having a superstar, but I feel like we've got a lot of good players."

Just look at the balance during their 15-game winning streak:

? All five starters have led the team in scoring at least twice. Backup Mike Scott did it once, too.
? No one has scored more than 27 points in a game, and three times the Hawks' top scorer didn't even have 20.
? In five of those 15 games, all five starters were in double figures.
? In one game, a staggering eight players scored at least 10 points; only once has fewer than four players failed to reach double figures.

For the season, 13 of the 15 players have at least one double-figure game (the only exceptions: rookie Adrien Payne, who has spent a good part of the year in the D-League, and little-used but valuable locker-room presence Elton Brand).
Eight players have led the team in scoring, led by Millsap and Teague with 15 games apiece. Korver and Horford have each done it seven times, with Carroll pacing the scoresheet in five games.

Of course, there's a reason the star system has worked so well for most NBA champions. In the playoffs, when the intensity increases and defenses get even stingier, it never hurts to have one or two go-to scorers with the game on the line. Someone who can create his own shots and isn't afraid to take a lead role.

Then again, with no player averaging more than Millsap's 33.3 minutes a game, and Budenholzer already giving his starters a night off during a grueling road trip, the Hawks might be fresher than most teams come the postseason.
For now, the Hawks are enjoying the ride.

"I've been on some really good teams. I'm not sure I've ever been on a team that's so selfless," Korver said. "There's something different about this group, too. There's a lightness to our spirit. We're just out there having fun."

paris401

Starter

I like milsap... but Jordan... this guy missed his 1st '8' free throws the other nite, and it was a regular season game... put him in a playoff game with some pressure, he mite go 0-20... my point is, the clips aint winning with this guy in the middle, and if he comes to ny, neither are we...

Broadway

All Star
I like milsap... but Jordan... this guy missed his 1st '8' free throws the other nite, and it was a regular season game... put him in a playoff game with some pressure, he mite go 0-20... my point is, the clips aint winning with this guy in the middle, and if he comes to ny, neither are we...

Probably true but he did post a recent 20/20 game and he's been playing really well this yr.

tiger0330

Legend
The triangle is definitely not the right system for D'Andre so I doubt Phil even considers him, he is a bona fide rim stopper but I doubt that's enough for the Knicks to sign him. That's the problem I've been saying about this triangle, you have to consider whether a guy fits the system as well as looking at his stats.

paris401

Starter
Probably true but he did post a recent 20/20 game and he's been playing really well this yr.

he did, he has good hands, a decent rebounder, he is not a bad player, but not being able to hit from the line is a major disadvantage... teams will play hack-a-Jordan... that's why I think the clips are not a contender to win it all...

Kiyaman

Legend
he did, he has good hands, a decent rebounder, he is not a bad player, but not being able to hit from the line is a major disadvantage... teams will play hack-a-Jordan... that's why I think the clips are not a contender to win it all...

With ball-hogger Melo pounding the ball all the time u dont have to worry about hack-a-Jordan .. Jordan is a great quick passer after he grab a defensive rebound. We need that.

"Give me four or five really good players compared to just one superstar," Millsap said. "I'll take that any day."

Atlanta should give Millsap a $125M contract for having that type of attitude.
Millsap was the player we should have went after in the David Lee trade, or the FA market to put with Amare in the frontline.

Last night I watched the Cavs vs Clippers game .. JR shot 5-6 in the first half of the game that help the Cavs take a 23 point lead by halftime. JR has never shot 5 for 6 shots as a Knicks from 2011 to 2014. Plus JR had 5 steals last night.
The Cavs are on a 12 game winning streak with career 6th man JR in their starter lineup.
Is this the same JR. Smith we sent to Cleveland?
Where did coach Dantoni, Woodson, and Fisher go wrong with JR, that coach Blatt got right?
JR average 12 shots per game on the Cavs, on the Knicks JR had the green light to shoot shoot

Kiyaman

Legend
The Lebron Cleveland Cavs 3 new addition of JR, Shump, Mozgov has the Cavs on a 13-2 run before All-Star weekend.
The Denver Nuggets got paid well for Mozgov .. the Knicks got nothing for their 6th man JR, and starter Shump.

The Knicks has been the team to trade to .. The Knicks has a history of trading project star-players to receive bust-players or long injury-prone players in return.
It's bad bc the Knicks been doing these type of trades n transaction since the trade of Walt Frazier to Cleveland.
The Knicks had a head coach Pat Riley who tried to change Knicks management from making silly business transaction with players every season that only improve the next team.
The Knicks never should have traded Bill Cartwright to Bulls to win 6 championship rings with Phil/Jordan/Pippin
Or trade the Knicks (ROY) Mark Jackson to the Spurs to meet assistant coach Pop.
Or trade the Knicks 1990's missing-piece to b FINALS contenders (Bless him in his fight) Mr. Anthony Mason to the Charlotte Hornets for a 5 year injury-prone Larry Johnson contract $87M contract.

There are personal (Dolan) Knicks trades in the millenium under each of the 5 GM where the next-team come out a hundred percent better, and u can start count from the Ewing offseason trades ........