Knicks cleaning house...trade JR Smith and Shumpert

tiger0330

Legend
I guess it goes without saying that a huge part of this trade is also luxury tax savings, as they are now discussing during the 4th quarter of tonight's Memphis game.
The way the Knicks piss away money, I doubt PJ even thought about it. It was about blowing up this train wreck.

jzero29

Rotation player
Cap for what?
u didnt get the memo .. winning NBA players dont want a $124M ball-hogger teammate.
Look at Phil Jackson Gurl-friend in LA
The Lakers tank last season to draft 6.9 Randal, plus Lakers had plenty cap room in the offseason to sign star FA Lebron, Melo, or Bosh to go with ($25M per) ballhogger Kobe Bryant.
The only FA that took the Lakers money was Boozer.
The Lakers were so desperate they traded for LinSanity final year contract of $15M.
Lebron was going home to clevland no matter what.
Kobe is end of his career, coming off an injury riddled season, two ankle injuries?, no one expected him to be Kobe this year.
Bosch, No one was paying him max after his numbers in Miami, except a desperate heat franchise, trying to stay good, and He stepped up his game.

As another poster mentions, Melo was targeted by both Bulls and Lakers. Who's superstars probably gave the thumbs up.
Besides Gasol were there a lot of other all star caliber signings?

No one wanted Gasol here more than me, but if PJ can swing signing him and get Dragic too, I'd be in shock this offseason.
Well we have nothing to trade, lol. not gonna happen. Dragic? unsure, we'll see.
The way the Knicks piss away money, I doubt PJ even thought about it. It was about blowing up this train wreck.
I believe you are saying this was a positive move to blow up this team. but this saves money?
releasing Dallembert before jan 10th saved 1.5 mill.
also ditching JR smith takes his contract off Knicks Books next year.
Shump was just a throw in to show how desperate PJ was to get rid of JR Smith.

I do think, the combo of JR and Shump should have, gotten a first rounder or another 2nd rounder.
But something tells me, PJ showed how much he wanted JR out and a shrewd GM leveraged him to only take one 2nd rounder and in 2019 at that.
Which, I think is a mark against him(PJ),Showed Weakness. but I am not upset with this trade at all. Blow it up,
5-32? seasons over.
Let us see what he's got, going forward

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Basically the Dallas deal will cost us 4 million a year extra then if we just kept felton.....so is Calderon worth that 4 million or extra or is he tradeable at the 7 million per for the next 3.....

we also could have as Kiya said kept chandler and then traded him for an expiring and a pick....

we did get early out of the dallas deal and larkin....

At this point 100% had to get rid of JR and Shump was the only way to do it......

If PJ wants to get rid of Calderon the only way will be to throw Hardaway in the mix and i would bet thats the next trade we see.....

I am sure come playoff time someone will absorb prigs and this will mean we will go into next season with 2 players on the books.....

MELO and Early........with 40 million to spend and being a lottery pick team......
I think it is only at that time can we say PHIL Messed up or not.....I do see the mistakes and what could have done better but this is what we got.......................

so I say again we end with Melo, early, 40 million and a lottery pick.....anyone disagree ?

I agree 100% .. Phil is a poor rookie manager.
Phil let Cuban double talk him in June, rather than go full stream at trading Tyson for Rondo to give Melo a winning PG, to entice Melo into taking a pay cut to look like a star who want to win.
Rather than be a $25M blunder on the cap for 5 years.
Then Phil waive a must need starting center Dalembert, who could resign cheap to become a asset in the middle next season if we are capable of pulling off this tanking plan to get Okafor or Towns in the draft.

tiger0330

Legend
Lebron was going home to clevland no matter what.
Kobe is end of his career, coming off an injury riddled season, two ankle injuries?, no one expected him to be Kobe this year.
Bosch, No one was paying him max after his numbers in Miami, except a desperate heat franchise, trying to stay good, and He stepped up his game.

As another poster mentions, Melo was targeted by both Bulls and Lakers. Who's superstars probably gave the thumbs up.
Besides Gasol were there a lot of other all star caliber signings?

Well we have nothing to trade, lol. not gonna happen. Dragic? unsure, we'll see.

I believe you are saying this was a positive move to blow up this team. but this saves money?
releasing Dallembert before jan 10th saved 1.5 mill.
also ditching JR smith takes his contract off Knicks Books next year.
Shump was just a throw in to show how desperate PJ was to get rid of JR Smith.

I do think, the combo of JR and Shump should have, gotten a first rounder or another 2nd rounder.
But something tells me, PJ showed how much he wanted JR out and a shrewd GM leveraged him to only take one 2nd rounder and in 2019 at that.
Which, I think is a mark against him(PJ),Showed Weakness. but I am not upset with this trade at all. Blow it up,
5-32? seasons over.
Let us see what he's got, going forward
I meant that PJ could care less about paying the luxury tax. PJ traded 2 rotation players for nothing any dimwit could have done that, jury is still out on the guy but I am not impressed.

The Knicks are going to need a lot of luck to get Okafor because even if they finish with the worst record they only have a 25% chance of getting the top pick and the team with the worst record hasn't gotten the top pick in 3 years.

jzero29

Rotation player
I meant that PJ could care less about paying the luxury tax. PJ traded 2 rotation players for nothing any dimwit could have done that, jury is still out on the guy but I am not impressed.

The Knicks are going to need a lot of luck to get Okafor because even if they finish with the worst record they only have a 25% chance of getting the top pick and the team with the worst record hasn't gotten the top pick in 3 years.
I agree there is really nothing to be impressed about, except the speed at which he's stripped the club of all talent & contracts.

Just eager to see what he puts in it's place next year. So i can bash or applaud. I'm an optimist, because I want them to be good. I want to believe...not because I actually believe it.
If we don't get top seed, what about chance per 2nd pick? and is the worst team guaranteed at least the 3rd pick?

Wargames

Starter
No one wanted Gasol here more than me, but if PJ can swing signing him and get Dragic too, I'd be in shock this offseason.

If Doran is the goal I think they will try to get Galloway acclimated to the triangle and playing in the NBA and then move Calderon before the trade deadline.

Now in my personal opinion I don't know if the knicks need to spend on Goran. He is am amazing, but the triangle doesn't need amazing PG. Fisher won 5 championships as the starting PG in the triangle. I mean sh*t Ron Harper was the starting PG on the 72 - 10 Bulls and he averaged less than 8 points a game at the PG position that year. He would be the starting PG for 4 of Phil's championship teams. So realistically while Goran is a great PG i really doubt phil puts his money there. In my opinion looking at the triangle the smart move would be to offer Butler the 17.5 Max and hope the bulls blink at the idea of paying the luxury tax and then spend the other 12 million on monroe.

Calderon
Butler
Melo
Monroe
Towns

is a pretty damn good lineup. If they draft Okafor then

Calderon
Butler
Melo
Okafor
R. Lopez

would be a great option too.

Add in the fact the knicks would have room for another max in 2016 to add the neccesary roleplayers and I think that by 2016 the knicks could be a legit contending squad.

jzero29

Rotation player
I love wikipedia...donate to keep ad free

you can only drop 3 draft picks, from where you finish...#1 worst team can drop 3 picks to pick 4. finish 4th you can only drop to pick 7

As per wikipedia
Here are the odds for each seed to get specific picks if there were no ties (rounded to 3 decimal places):

SeedChances1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th

Last edited:

jzero29

Rotation player
If Doran is the goal I think they will try to get Galloway acclimated to the triangle and playing in the NBA and then move Calderon before the trade deadline.

Now in my personal opinion I don't know if the knicks need to spend on Goran. He is am amazing, but the triangle doesn't need amazing PG. Fisher won 5 championships as the starting PG in the triangle. I mean sh*t Ron Harper was the starting PG on the 72 - 10 Bulls and he averaged less than 8 points a game at the PG position that year. He would be the starting PG for 4 of Phil's championship teams. So realistically while Goran is a great PG i really doubt phil puts his money there. In my opinion looking at the triangle the smart move would be to offer Butler the 17.5 Max and hope the bulls blink at the idea of paying the luxury tax and then spend the other 12 million on monroe.

Calderon
Butler
Melo
Monroe
Towns

is a pretty damn good lineup. If they draft Okafor then

Calderon
Butler
Melo
Okafor
R. Lopez

would be a great option too.

Add in the fact the knicks would have room for another max in 2016 to add the neccesary roleplayers and I think that by 2016 the knicks could be a legit contending squad.

That's what I am saying, There are a lot of possibilities right now. But can only wait and see or speculate.
1st year he's cleaning house...lets see next year and more important 2016. Then full judgement.

tiger0330

Legend
I agree there is really nothing to be impressed about, except the speed at which he's stripped the club of all talent & contracts.

Just eager to see what he puts in it's place next year. So i can bash or applaud. I'm an optimist, because I want them to be good. I want to believe...not because I actually believe it.
If we don't get top seed, what about chance per 2nd pick? and is the worst team guaranteed at least the 3rd pick?
You're not guaranteed anything but the 76ers who had the worst record last year got the 3rd pick with the most lottery balls.

Just saw your post, the worst record can do no worse than the 4th pick.

Last edited:

jzero29

Rotation player
You're not guaranteed anything but the 76ers who had the worst record last year got the 3rd pick with the most lottery balls.

See the above chart...there are limit to how far you can drop...1st(worst team) can only drop to 4th pick, 2nd to 5th, 3rd to 6th.
even the 14th place team has a shot at the first 3 picks, but after that it falls in order.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
$30M salary space this offseason looks like a done deal. I took a look at the contracts... and we'll have $34M in salaries in Melo, Calderon, Hardaway, Prigs and Early + the 1st round pick we can sign anyway. If I remember correctly the projected cap is $66M, so that leaves PJ >$30M to sign whoever he wants.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Reported 3-Way Trade with Cavs and OKC - JR and Shump No Longer Knicks

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12125440

Kinda of a sad day to see JR go even tho he was a nitwit dummy. Still remember the work he put in winning 6th man of the year:( And I'll miss 21 Shump Street as well and I hope they both sucess in Cleveland:( As for our squad, now you Melo haters can see this is a total rebuild going on so stop blaming Melo for our record. If only Phil can find someone dumber than us to take Bargs 12 million off the books than the fire sale will be complete....I do feel sorry for season ticket holders who have to watch this mess up close and personal...But you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette...Melo might be the ONLY current Knick on next years roster onChief

Last edited:

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12125440

Kinda of a sad day to see JR go even tho he was a nitwit dummy. Still remember the work he put in winning 6th man of the year:( And I'll miss 21 Shump Street as well and I hope they both sucess in Cleveland:( As for our squad, now you Melo haters can see this is a total rebuild going on so stop blaming Melo for our record. If only Phil can find someone dumber than us to take Bargs 12 million off the books than the fire sale will be complete....I do feel sorry for season ticket holders who have to watch this mess up clise and personal...But you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette...Melo might be the ONLY current Knick on next years roster onChief

bargs is an expirer already, we should find someone to take back calderon...would really give us major flexibility

tiger0330

Legend
bargs is an expirer already, we should find someone to take back calderon...would really give us major flexibility
PJ got zip in return for JR and Shump, try to trade Calderon, Bargs or Amare for some picks. If he can't do that, buyout Bargs and Amare and complete the house cleaning.

skisloper

Starter
PJ got zip in return for JR and Shump, try to trade Calderon, Bargs or Amare for some picks. If he can't do that, buyout Bargs and Amare and complete the house cleaning.

For the Record...
Chief.....how can u be sad to see JR go......after the foul on terry in boston, his partying the night before a playoff game and his own admission that he did not try last season...one cannot feel bad...

as for getting something for Shump/JR......PJ got something ...he got Smith off our books.....NOBODY in 5 years ever wanted or offered any deal for JR!!!!!!!

For what is deemed as " Melo Haters" yes I agree we will all be proven right or wrong this time.....PJ will build a team around MELO so its hero or zero.....

I still think Hardaway/Calderon as well as Prigs will be traded giving us 40 million for next year with just Melo and Early on the books...

AND KIYA.......Would u not agree BESIDES the Melo full deal ( TBD) then 40 million in cap space, a lottery pick is a good way to head into next season.....

jimkcchief88

All Star
Reported 3-Way Trade with Cavs and OKC - JR and Shump No Longer Knicks

For the Record...
Chief.....how can u be sad to see JR go......after the foul on terry in boston, his partying the night before a playoff game and his own admission that he did not try last season...one cannot feel bad...

as for getting something for Shump/JR......PJ got something ...he got Smith off our books.....NOBODY in 5 years ever wanted or offered any deal for JR!!!!!!!

For what is deemed as " Melo Haters" yes I agree we will all be proven right or wrong this time.....PJ will build a team around MELO so its hero or zero.....

I still think Hardaway/Calderon as well as Prigs will be traded giving us 40 million for next year with just Melo and Early on the books...

AND KIYA.......Would u not agree BESIDES the Melo full deal ( TBD) then 40 million in cap space, a lottery pick is a good way to head into next season.....

I barely remember the foul on Jason Terry but that play won't live in Knicks infamy like the Charles Smith missed tip-in for sure....JR was as exciting a player to suit up in a Knicks uni as the OG number 8 Latrell Spreewell...You have to admire the talent and hope JR finally gets his head screwed on straight in Cleveland....maybe the lack of the bright lights of the big city in small market Cleveland will help JR and a stronger lockeroom to check his antics....I mean who hasn't kicked it hard before having to work the next day and I still hate Rhianna with her five head because of it....can anybody say Maneater????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiger0330

Legend
Not exactly correct that the Knicks got nothing, they also got 2 pretty big trade exceptions that can be used to pick up a nice role player. Now we can only hope PJ is as good a deal maker as Pat Riley.

Wargames

Starter
Not exactly correct that the Knicks got nothing, they also got 2 pretty big trade exceptions that can be used to pick up a nice role player. Now we can only hope PJ is as good a deal maker as Pat Riley.

Yep those TPE could come in handy with moving Calderon or might be used after FA to try and add another piece or two. We wont know until next year when they expire.