Knicks Summer League 2015

Knixy

Benchwarmer
So glad this was not our first summer league game or I would have been crazy right now. :lol:

Shots just didn't fall but I liked how aggressive KP was. That pick and pop with Grant was a beauty.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
Kristaps Porzingis couldn't get his shot to fall during Thursday's blowout loss to the Warriors, scoring 12 points on 3-of-10 shooting, to go with four rebounds, two steals, one 3-pointer, one assist, one block and one turnover over 24 minutes.
As a positive, Porzingis did get to the line where he knocked down 5-of-6 of his attempts, but his frail frame remains an issue. There's no denying that he has a beautiful stroke, but it'll probably be a few years before Porzingis is cranking out fantasy value in standard leagues.

(Rotoworld)

I don't think it's going to take KP years to make an impact. I predict he'll be a force by the end of this season. The first half of the season will have some growing pains but once he figures it out, look out!

Broadway

All Star
Mudiay didn't play his best game tonight....looked gased and couldn't find a way to manufacture his shot. But he was constantly trapped and double teamed and still shows a great ability to see the floor. Must work on his ability to get open jumpers and take them. Pretty good defender too, overall liked what I saw seeing him play live for the first time but he has flaws(fixable).

jimkcchief88

All Star
Devin Booker is starting to look more and more like Klay 2.0 let the comparisons keep on rolling. Booker you're gonna be Klay or better consensuses say so.

I watched his dad Melvin Booker play at MIzZou he was undersized but still an all big eight and all American. Devin got blessed with size... Another PG we could have picked over the Zinger but I digress... The Knicks are the NBA version of Bokeen Woodbine in the movie life" can't get rite":(

jimkcchief88

All Star
Other than a continued opportunity to complain or possibly Emmanuel Mudiay, I'm not sure what the unhappy people in this thread are saying they want from this team right now. Still not sure what Winslow, WCS, Kaminsky, or anyone else taken after Porzingis, other than Mudiay, has done to have gotten people so excited one week into Summer League play.

We wouldn't be complaining if PJAx had "done the right thing" and drafted Mudiay on Chief:(

Broadway

All Star
I watched his dad Melvin Booker play at MIzZou he was undersized but still an all big eight and all American. Devin got blessed with size... Another PG we could have picked over the Zinger but I digress... The Knicks are the NBA version of Bokeen Woodbine in the movie life" can't get rite":(

Booker isn't a PG, he'll play shooting guard. Straight up pure shooter

Last edited:
We wouldn't be complaining if PJAx had "done the right thing" and drafted Mudiay on Chief:(

Seriously though, who other than Broadway even suggested that Mudiay was the right pick for us before the draft? I liked Mudiay over Winslow or WCS, but realized that Porzingis was our pick in the time right before the draft based on news rumors (look at the draft thread), so I stopped seeing any point to talking Mudiay after that point.

This is like applauding a guy in fantasy football for his brilliant team after they win in week 1. We've seen 4 Summer League games.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
Let's chill on Mudiay. He's shooting under 40% and averaging 5 tpg. :boohoo:

The only guys we missed out on are Towns and Okafor and we didn't have a chance to draft him. But I'm happy with KP.

tiger0330

Legend
Seriously though, who other than Broadway even suggested that Mudiay was the right pick for us before the draft? I liked Mudiay over Winslow or WCS, but realized that Porzingis was our pick in the time right before the draft based on news rumors (look at the draft thread), so I stopped seeing any point to talking Mudiay after that point.

This is like applauding a guy in fantasy football for his brilliant team after they win in week 1. We've seen 4 Summer League games.
Co-sign. I did think Zinger was going to have a better camp, but like he said he didn't play great. Best thing about him, you can't teach 7'3". His length and skill set for someone his size was impressive.

mafra

Legend
We should be happy we didnt have the #1 pick... Imagine if we did and we took Okafor over KAT? Or, imagine we selected Russell?

right now, it's an 'eye of the beholder' type deal... Who knows... Plenty of worthy, yet unpredictable, directions to go in at 4...

from Rotoworld (with regards to the overhype mudiay campAign, for those drinking that kool aid):

"Emmanuel Mudiay scored eight points on 4-of-9 shooting with three rebounds, one assist, two steals and seven turnovers in 27 minutes on Thursday.

Mudiay was overly hyped at the beginning of Summer League and the problems from scouting reports have shown up lately, including some timidity shooting the ball. He still has plenty of talent and unless Ty Lawson makes a major comeback he'll be looking at a lot of burn in the regular season."

mafra

Legend
And... Via NY Post:

“For me, it’s something new,’’ Porzingis said. “I had almost two games a week [in Spain] the first part of the season. The second part of the season only one game a week and had time to recover. But that’s not an excuse. That’s how the NBA schedule is. I’ve got to get used to it. I’m young. I don’t think it’ll be a problem. I just have to prepare for it mentally, be ready to go out every night and compete and have the same energy for the game.”
Porzingis’ ability to withstand an 82-game grind is definitely an issue as he goes into this rookie season because of his slight frame. In fact, Knicks coach Derek Fisher said the club is debating whether to shut him down for the consolation game/summer league finale Friday.
“We’ll see,’’ Fisher said. “There haven’t been setbacks in terms of an injury. I don’t know if it’s worth the risk.’’
Thursday’s outing is just the reality check that he is 19. In the previous game, Porzingis looked like a shot-blocking extraordinaire, rejecting Philadelphia rookie Jahlil Okafor three times.
“He’s unbelievable,’’ an NBA scout said Thursday night. “Look at the tape of Dirk Nowitzki as a rookie. He’s way ahead.’’

Ironically, Porzingis hasn’t displayed the deadly deep jumper that had scouts drooling during his pre-draft Vegas workout last month. Part of that reason is Fisher has played him at center to get him accustomed to the inside.
“Maybe I’ve surprised some people,’’ Porzingis said. “I still haven’t adjusted 100 percent to the game here, but once I adjust, I’ll feel even more comfortable and play even better.’’
Surprisingly, Porzingis didn’t sink his first 3-point shot until the fourth game of the summer league. But he is drawing a lot of fouls (4-of-5 on free throws Thursday) and drew four defenders after he got a pass in the lane in the first half. He also made an interception at halfcourt and soared in for a breakaway dunk late in the game — stuff 7-3 guys don’t do.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Co-sign. I did think Zinger was going to have a better camp, but like he said he didn't play great. Best thing about him, you can't teach 7'3". His length and skill set for someone his size was impressive.

It most certainly is but only if he'll use it to his advantage. We heard the same things about Gallo when we drafted him. While here under D'Antoni it never really proved to be true.

See some like Giannis Ant, John Wall, Russell Westbrook, Durant, Marc Gasol, heck even the young Okafor....I clearly see them using their physical advantages over their opponents. Like Okafor has huge hands, and he uses them to his advantage, Giannis and Durant their length, Wall and WB their speed, Gasol his height and strength. Heck Mudiay is 6'5" at the point guard spot another physical advantage, if used.

Then you have players like Steph Curry, Blake Griffin, Draymond Green, Paul George, Kyrie Irving etc etc who don't really have clear physical advantages over anyone but can impact the game in a myriad of ways. Although I guess you could say a couple of these guys do have some athletic advantages but I was focusing more on their actual physical statutes/attributes

While #kporzee has unique size and physical tools....it's evident he's not the only player in this league with physical advantages over his opponent. If we're going to camp him out around the arc constantly.....really him being 7'3" no matter how sweet his stroke is, would be rendered irrelevant for the most part. Also I'm not going to be naive and say height>speed, height>strength, height>athleticism in every scenario either.. Really Really Really tall players have had a hard time making it in this league at an ELITE level.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
It most certainly is but only if he'll use it to his advantage. We heard the same things about Gallo when we drafted him. While here under D'Antoni it never really proved to be true.

See some like Giannis Ant, John Wall, Russell Westbrook, Durant, Marc Gasol, heck even the young Okafor....I clearly see them using their physical advantages over their opponents. Like Okafor has huge hands, and he uses them to his advantage, Giannis and Durant their length, Wall and WB their speed, Gasol his height and strength. Heck Mudiay is 6'5" at the point guard spot another physical advantage, if used.

Then you have players like Steph Curry, Blake Griffin, Draymond Green, Paul George, Kyrie Irving etc etc who don't really have clear physical advantages over anyone but can impact the game in a myriad of ways. Although I guess you could say a couple of these guys do have some athletic advantages but I was focusing more on their actual physical statutes/attributes

While #kporzee has unique size and physical tools....it's evident he's not the only player in this league with physical advantages over his opponent. If we're going to camp him out around the arc constantly.....really him being 7'3" no matter how sweet his stroke is, would be rendered irrelevant for the most part. Also I'm not going to be naive and say height>speed, height>strength, height>athleticism in every scenario either.. Really Really Really tall players have had a hard time making it in this league at an ELITE level.

It's not jut his height/length that impresses scouts... it's more that his height/strength is combined with incredible athleticism, coordination as well as the mechanics/form of a pure jump shooter... wrapped up in the humble nature and self-awareness.. that features a maturity, toughness, intelligence, adaptability, sharpened by a single-minded focus and determination.

Roy Hibbert is tall.. Shawn Bradley & M-Bol too... But they couldn't run/shoot/pass/jump like Porz. That shot against Okafor is pure Dirkness (unblockable)...

Now, ultimately, this all means nothing, as all projections are. Right now, we can't even assume we have Gallo 2.0, let along Pau or Nowitzki... He may be a bust like Weiss or Lampe... More likely the latter, according to odds.

The point is: PORZ was considered a top prospect in this draft for the combination... the complete package... the skills and the rare attributes... all the bball traits. For a 19 yr-old to be his size and already demonstrate, on a pro level, those skills = impressive.

Ergo, while the selection might prove to be a bust and a foolish risk... It's not deemed irresponsible but those who make these decisions. PORZ was labeled a potential franchise player by many scouts...

I thought there were at least 5 of those player in this deep draft... When Okafor went to PHI, I wanted to hear MUDIAY (great name to pronounce for the arena announcer after a dunk)... but I was content to know we took 1/5 high-ceiling guys).

Mudiay-Lyles prob better than Porz-Grant...but time to move on and root for our guys... Passing along articles talking about PORZ's potential is nothing more than passing info along... doesn't mean I subscribe to the infallibility of those observations. The evidence merely confirms that many insiders disagree with the misguided quackery I'm reading by some h8ters who are adamant that NYK absolutely made a fatal choice by taking KP.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
You know if I was a Martian and hadn't been watching NBA basketball for the past 40 years of my life, I would be a giddy little schoolgirl over the Zinger like you guys. But I have watching NBA basketball since 70's and been a KNIcKs fan since the 1990. So I remember the Weiss debacle, the Van Horn debacle, the Gallinari debacle, and the latest Bargiani debacle. So excuse me for not rushing out and buying a Zinger jersey. I have seen this bad movie before plenty of times. It's like watching Looney Toons and thinking the coyote is going to finally catch the roadrunner on Chief:(

mafra

Legend
You know if I was a Martian and hadn't been watching NBA basketball for the past 40 years of my life, I would be a giddy little schoolgirl over the Zinger like you guys. But I have watching NBA basketball since 70's and been a KNIcKs fan since the 1990. So I remember the Weiss debacle, the Van Horn debacle, the Gallinari debacle, and the latest Bargiani debacle. So excuse me for not rushing out and buying a Zinger jersey. I have seen this bad movie before plenty of times. It's like watching Looney Toons and thinking the coyote is going to finally catch the roadrunner on Chief:(

Nobody is giddy about PORZ. KAT or Okafor were the only 2 I would be giddy about. Aristotle mandated you evaluate everything based on its own individual merit. Don't allow prejudice to cloud your judgments. If there wasn't 1 example of a Euro success story...perhaps I would concur w/ your assessment. But there are enough foreign all-star types (Petrovic, Kukoc, Dirk, Pau & Marc Gasol, Parker, Manu, Gobert)...

The point isn't about being giddy b/c we "stole" PORZ; the point is more that the selection was valid base on available choices. I've been a NYK fans since 70s... I still recall B-King pouring in 60 against Nets Xmas day (1984)... ERGO, I'm not na?ve to believe Weiss was our only bust... More USA busts to count, so... does that mean we avoid them too?

Wilkins, Gerald !Gerald Wilkins
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
SG
UT–Chattanooga
Walker, Kenny !Kenny Walker
United States
SF
Kentucky
Jackson, MichaelMichael Jackson