Knicks tried to trade Carmelo to CLE

tiger0330

Legend
Couldn't follow that chart so what year is their first round pick available?
And if they can't get back in 2018, 2021 is the earliest. Probably going to have to settle for the 2nd round picks, they could do a 3 team deal and get a 1st from another team but someone would have to give up an awful lot to get a 2017 or 2018 first. Boston has plenty of picks, I wonder if Melo would sign off on going there?

mafra

Legend
Now word is LAC doesn't even want to part with JJ Redick, and NYK doesn't want Crawford's contract.

So, LAC and NYK seeking a 3rd team to facilitate this trade.

To me, this is more about getting the "highest quality" pick as opposed to the "soonest" selection. I have no problems waiting 4 years for a pick.... that means you demand TWO first rounders, knowing the contender now will probably stink in a few years.

I don't want to draft another Cleanthony Early.... I want lottery picks.

And, it looks like teams are tearing PJax right now.
If these teams are gonna lowball Knicks and try to basicallly have Knicks give him away (or worse with CLE, if asking for a WHG and a 1st).... then Phil needs to say "NO!"

Again, at the minimum, NYK needs a young asset and a first rounder for Melo. This means Rivers and Brice Johnson and 2021 & 2023 1st rounders. Sure,
We'll take Crawford in this scenario.

And, if we keep winning we make teams fret. Right now, teams
Like CLE and LAC are testing the waters... but as CP3 and LJ start applying pressure (and those teams lose) and as 1 gets worried the other will get Melo, their tune will change.

Get them interested, then invested, then worried, and then you seal the deal.

And, If NYK wins some games and makes a run at playoffs, then those teams will realize we might just laugh at their lowball offers.

As it stands, CLE and LAC cannot beat GSW. Melo is their only hope.

tiger0330

Legend
Now word is LAC doesn't even want to part with JJ Redick, and NYK doesn't want Crawford's contract.

So, LAC and NYK seeking a 3rd team to facilitate this trade.

To me, this is more about getting the "highest quality" pick as opposed to the "soonest" selection. I have no problems waiting 4 years for a pick.... that means you demand TWO first rounders, knowing the contender now will probably stink in a few years.

I don't want to draft another Cleanthony Early.... I want lottery picks.

And, it looks like teams are tearing PJax right now.
If these teams are gonna lowball Knicks and try to basicallly have Knicks give him away (or worse with CLE, if asking for a WHG and a 1st).... then Phil needs to say "NO!"

Again, at the minimum, NYK needs a young asset and a first rounder for Melo. This means Rivers and Brice Johnson and 2021 & 2023 1st rounders. Sure,
We'll take Crawford in this scenario.

And, if we keep winning we make teams fret. Right now, teams
Like CLE and LAC are testing the waters... but as CP3 and LJ start applying pressure (and those teams lose) and as 1 gets worried the other will get Melo, their tune will change.

Get them interested, then invested, then worried, and then you seal the deal.

And, If NYK wins some games and makes a run at playoffs, then those teams will realize we might just laugh at their lowball offers.

As it stands, CLE and LAC cannot beat GSW. Melo is their only hope.
I agree we can't give Melo away for peanuts. PJ caught hell for doing that when he traded JR and Shump. Doesn't surprise me that Clips don't want to part with Redick or the Knicks don't want Crawford and if I'm PJ those firsts are too far into the future for me.

I think Cleveland is in the same boat, they don't have a first until 2021 either and if I'm Griffin I'm like Doc, I'll take Melo but I won't give up one of my core guys.

It took a year before KLove got comfortable with the Cavs and the same could happen with Melo, just don't think the Cavs want to do that with the playoffs a few months away. Besides they got one of the best 3 pt shooters ever
in Korver that they're still trying to work into the system and JR is expected back by the playoffs. Despite what LeBron might want, I think Griffin stands pat on Love but if PJ wants JR and Shump back Griffin may go for that.

mafra

Legend
I think a lot is predicated on what happens the next 4 weeks. LAC or CLE stumble or if NYK get back to .500 will determine who is most/least motivated.

If the offers continue to be so low, might BOS swoon in and offer something a little better (Crowder, Brown, picks)?

Is this being leaked as Phil's way of:

1) motivating team, especially the vets, to put up or shut up or be shipped out soon?

2) driving up price by pitting interested teams against each other, in a bid to offer the beast "minimal" offer?

I do know this, CLE is crazy to think they have enough to beat GSW. They barely did it last year and that was bc NBA suspended DG. Now GSW added Durant and CLE lost 2 of its 8 rotation players from last year while adding only Korver.

mafra

Legend
(NY Daily News)

"Yet this season is not lost. The playoffs are still a legitimate reality. Entering Sunday afternoon?s matchup with the Hawks in Atlanta, the Knicks are two games out of the eighth spot in the East despite sitting six games under .500.

The Knicks play nine games before the All-Star break. Six are against playoff teams ? at the Hawks, at the Wizards, home against the Cavs, home against the Clippers, home against the Spurs and at the Thunder.

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 23, which coincides with the Knicks? first contest after the All-Star break.

?Everybody still believes,? Jennings said. ?Nobody?s in here pointing fingers.?

Starting with a Christmas Day loss to the Celtics, the Knicks dropped 13 of 15 games. They?ve responded by going 3-3 over their past six games, but that catastrophic stint has left little ? if any ? room for error.

?This has been a terrible month for us. I give our self a D or an F, honestly,? Jennings said Friday night. ?We need to build on this. We got to start getting some wins in a row.?

mafra

Legend
The 3 teams directly ahead of NYK (CHA, DET, MIL) all lost tonight.

LAC blown out by GSW.... almost by 50! think Doc believes what he said about liking his team's chances this year? Lol.... they have 0 chance beating Warriors in the playoffs.

A positive night for NYK. Clippers a little more desperate, NY a little less desperate.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
That trade with the Clips is not going to happen. Melo for Rivers and Jamal by itself is clearly a one sided trade in favor of the Clips and without a first-round pick until 2021 it doesn't accomplish what you want from the trade which is to rebuild. I don't remember any team taking a pick that far into the future either. Phil would be ridiculed if he made this deal. I don't see Crawford bringing in much from a third team either, so unless the Clips relent and go in a different direction and trade BG or DJ I think Melo is here after the trade deadline.

I think we're back to Melo expanding the number of teams he's willing to go to before you're able to trade him. Missing the playoffs and a 4th straight losing season maybe the only thing that changes his mind.

paris401

Starter
not sure how much he will expand ... he can stay in ny n do dick, or go to another ****ty team with the same results.. good old phil def boxed us in with this signing...

I'd tank the season... so what if we make the playoff's.. we'll play the cav's or Toronto, n be home eating popcorn within 5games.. and then wont be in the lottery... tank it, get into the lottery n see how the balls bounce...

mafra

Legend
This has always made the most sense:

(Boston Globe)

MILWAUKEE ? The Knicks haven?t given up hope on including the Celtics as a partner in a potential deal for Carmelo Anthony, sending a scout to Saturday?s Celtics-Bucks game.

While Celtics management told the Knicks they aren?t interested in the nine-time All-Star, the Knicks are pushing to move Anthony, according to an NBA source, and they?re intrigued by some of the Celtics? players.

A source indicated that Knicks president Phil Jackson has instructed management to move Anthony, who has a no-trade clause but included the Celtics as one of the teams for whom he?d waive the clause. Boston could become part of a potential three-team deal that would send Anthony to another club, perhaps the Clippers.

An NBA source said Celtics coach Brad Stevens would embrace coaching Anthony, but president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has rejected any deal. That hasn?t stopped the Knicks from scouting Celtics players just in case Boston is willing to become part of a trade.

Anthony is averaging 22.6 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists this season for the disappointing Knicks (21-27), who are two games out of the eighth playoff spot in the East. Anthony has faced scrutiny in recent years, and Jackson has been one of Anthony?s biggest critics.

tiger0330

Legend
Watched the Pels beat the Cavs and Melo is not who they need anyway so I don't know why Griffin would do this deal. They couldn't stop anyone, so the D is the problem not the offense, they need a defensive big, so I don't see how Melo helps them. Besides they just got Korver and he's just adjusting to his new team, he's a great shooter and they haven't unleashed him yet playing backup minutes to Shump and Lebron.
Said the Cavs need a defensive big looks like Lebron agrees also said the roster was top heavy as ****. Getting Melo has to make that team more top heavy.

While praising Tristan Thompson's play, James said (via ESPN's Dave McMenamin), "He's the one rim protector that we have, and we need him to continue to do that."

It's a subtle dig, but the implication is that James feels the Cavs are lacking big men to hold down the paint. Of course, in the offseason, the Cavaliers let Timofey Mozgov walk in free agency. They later signed veteran center Chris Andersen, but he tore his ACL early in the season, leaving the Cavs with little depth at center.

Broadway

All Star
Said the Cavs need a defensive big looks like Lebron agrees also said the roster was top heavy as ****. Getting Melo has to make that team more top heavy.

It probably has more to do with how they could match up with GSW than any current opponent or even future prior to meeting them(most likely inevitable). Losing to the Mavs tonight struggling to score(even without ALMIGHTY Love) is not a good look. I heard Lebron also say something to effect of..."what if one of our main guys gets injured or goes down for some time, then what?"

Kevin Pelton is starting the rumor train back up again. Cleveland probably needs to make some kind of move. If I were them I'd probably try and snag DJ Augustin in a small deal and then see what the bigger deal presents. Keep in mind they were down 3-1 to GSW until the league meddled with the series.

Lebron is kind of at odds with a couple of his guys and even Kyrie got in a slight dig on Tristan recently. They're kind of a mess right now.

mafra

Legend
Interesting twist in this Melo saga, printed tonight in the Boston Herald:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...buster_occurs_look_for_celtics_to_be_involved

That latter point could soon come into play as the Clippers attempt to get Carmelo Anthony from the Knicks. We?ve been told that, while Doc Rivers said everything is on the table as he tries to improve the club, he wants to maintain his four-man core of Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and J.J. Redick.

In that the Clips don?t have much to give up, having dealt quite a bit away to get where they are now, which is still miles behind the Warriors. If the Knicks aren?t happy getting back some side players and expiring contracts, the Clippers will have to expand the deal. That would bring the Celtics into play and explain part of the reason why the Knicks are keeping an eye on them.

But the C?s do have interest in Anthony for themselves, as well. They have for a long time. And it?s no doubt their attention gained an even greater degree when word filtered out that the Celts are one of the clubs for whom Carmelo would consider waiving his no-trade clause.

The question in this case, and, really, in every case, is price. According to multiple sources, there have been, as of the weekend, no formal trade talks between the Celts and New York, but that was largely because the Knicks are believed to be asking a Melo?s ransom for the star.

Anthony could be the additional major scoring source the Celts need, and there is every reason to believe he would fit here from the technical hoop standpoint and as a teammate. But unless Ainge can get more than the 32-year-old Melo, it is hard to picture a scenario in which he surrenders one of the first-rounders he has coming from Brooklyn.

-----------
Basically, the article says Celtics aren't interested in Melo at the current asking price.... Or, they are simply waiting this out to see how low the price can get..... Or, they are merely keeping their options open in case an even bigger fish becomes available.

Another interesting tidbit was the article saying it would be foolish for Boston to hold on to the BKLYN pick.... IT and Smart are PGs, as well as Terry Rozier.... and both IT and Smart are free agents soon. So, the top pick in this draft is a PG.... something BOS doesn't need....so BOS should dangle that now (or this summer) to make a run the next few years.

Ergo, BOs has to use that chip to improve this club they have now.... maybe that means Butler or somebody else.... but maybe that also means Melo?

I have a funny feeling BOS could get 2/3 of this bunch: Melo, Butler, Ibaka (or the other C from ORL).

tiger0330

Legend
Interesting twist in this Melo saga, printed tonight in the Boston Herald:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...buster_occurs_look_for_celtics_to_be_involved

That latter point could soon come into play as the Clippers attempt to get Carmelo Anthony from the Knicks. We?ve been told that, while Doc Rivers said everything is on the table as he tries to improve the club, he wants to maintain his four-man core of Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and J.J. Redick.

In that the Clips don?t have much to give up, having dealt quite a bit away to get where they are now, which is still miles behind the Warriors. If the Knicks aren?t happy getting back some side players and expiring contracts, the Clippers will have to expand the deal. That would bring the Celtics into play and explain part of the reason why the Knicks are keeping an eye on them.

But the C?s do have interest in Anthony for themselves, as well. They have for a long time. And it?s no doubt their attention gained an even greater degree when word filtered out that the Celts are one of the clubs for whom Carmelo would consider waiving his no-trade clause.

The question in this case, and, really, in every case, is price. According to multiple sources, there have been, as of the weekend, no formal trade talks between the Celts and New York, but that was largely because the Knicks are believed to be asking a Melo?s ransom for the star.

Anthony could be the additional major scoring source the Celts need, and there is every reason to believe he would fit here from the technical hoop standpoint and as a teammate. But unless Ainge can get more than the 32-year-old Melo, it is hard to picture a scenario in which he surrenders one of the first-rounders he has coming from Brooklyn.

-----------
Basically, the article says Celtics aren't interested in Melo at the current asking price.... Or, they are simply waiting this out to see how low the price can get..... Or, they are merely keeping their options open in case an even bigger fish becomes available.

Another interesting tidbit was the article saying it would be foolish for Boston to hold on to the BKLYN pick.... IT and Smart are PGs, as well as Terry Rozier.... and both IT and Smart are free agents soon. So, the top pick in this draft is a PG.... something BOS doesn't need....so BOS should dangle that now (or this summer) to make a run the next few years.

Ergo, BOs has to use that chip to improve this club they have now.... maybe that means Butler or somebody else.... but maybe that also means Melo?

I have a funny feeling BOS could get 2/3 of this bunch: Melo, Butler, Ibaka (or the other C from ORL).
Not sure about NY wanting a kings ransom for Melo based on the Clips deal that was discussed which excluded the Clips big 3. I forget where I heard it but i heard Ainge has no interest in Melo wanting more rebounding and defense from a trade. I would think Ibaka would be a better fit than Melo for Ainge.

mafra

Legend
Not sure about NY wanting a kings ransom for Melo based on the Clips deal that was discussed which excluded the Clips big 3. I forget where I heard it but i heard Ainge has no interest in Melo wanting more rebounding and defense from a trade. I would think Ibaka would be a better fit than Melo for Ainge.

Boston wanted Melo last year; now 2 reports written the last few days out of Boston confirming their supposed interest. If they want defense and rebounding they can trade for Tucker and Ibaka. Ainge ain't a fool tho.... he wants to win... Melo and/or Butler are the targets.

I believe Phil leaked the LAC stuff to motive CLE or BOS to get serious and start the make better offers or else NYK just might "give Melo away for nothing."

Jaylen Brown and the #1 pick in the draft might sound like a lot for Melo,
But is it really? With melo, you are assured this season and 2 more where you are competing for a trip to the Finals.

Now, Boston probably hoping to get Melo for less or probably shopping around to see if they can get a younger star player for such a price.

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough the next 3 weeks what the truth really is.

paris401

Starter
needless to say I don't like Me-Lo... but he certainly is playing well...actually very well.... since it appears that the knicks want to reload, its now upto the zen-master to make a trade and get equal value in return... aren't we paying him big $$$$ to perform his magic... so come on phil start performing...

mafra

Legend
Yeah.... Melo playing well. Only 1 more year (unless he doesn't opt out then 2).... not the worst contract

paris401

Starter
Yeah.... Melo playing well. Only 1 more year (unless he doesn't opt out then 2).... not the worst contract

problem is we are not winning... not this year, probably not next... so where the hell r we going??? I guess unless u r the cav's or warriors (and maybe spurs) every team is asking that same question...

mafra

Legend
problem is we are not winning... not this year, probably not next... so where the hell r we going??? I guess unless u r the cav's or warriors (and maybe spurs) every team is asking that same question...

Which is why NYK has to move everything not nailed to the floor.
To be honest, only KP, WHG are untouchable. Maybe even Holiday.